What's new

Norwegian Navy blows up its own ship

I was not making an educated observation. The explosion seemed so very disproportionate to the missile size.. Well since you are the expert, I have this question.
Keep in mind that available footage of missiles hitting targets is often from testing and testing often occurs with an inert warhead (i.e. damage only by kinetic energy and residual propellant), as opposed to life firing tests with an active warhead. Also, there may be variation in the target: some targets are mere barges or hulks (without any fuel or ammunition on board) while other targets may be complete ships and laden more realistically. So, unless you know about the specifics of a particular missile test, it is very tricky to compare (visual) effects on the basis of imagery....

How difficult is it to intercept missiles like this? I mean one hit and a frigate is out. The frigate I presume costs upwards of $250 million.
Flight altitude: sea skimming > difficult to detect > short reaction time
Speed: high subsonic > fast > short reaction time (though not as short as with a supersonic or hypersonic missile)
Guidance: inertial, GPS, terrain-reference navigation, imaging infrared homing, target database > few radar emission and not directed at target > difficult detection by ECM
The state-of-the-art design and use of composite materials is meant to give the missile sophisticated stealth capabilities.
NSM is able to fly over and around landmasses, travel in sea skim mode, and then make random manoeuvres in the terminal phase, making it harder to stop by enemy countermeasures

Not the fastest but still ... tough cookie!

Back
Top Bottom