What's new

Norinco VT-4 MBT

狗大户。

Is that means (( big dog ).
No,it indicates the super rich customers like UAE, Saudi and Kuwait by Chinese military lover, and we are so envy with that they can afford some really good equipements produced by China but PLA can not due to budget shortage in our poor old days . Iraqi is also considered as 狗大户 in 1980s.

In NORINCO's target list, VT-3: low end; VT-2: medium customer; VT-1A(MBT-2000): medium to high end customer while VT-4(MBT-3000): high end customer.

No,it indicates the super rich customers like UAE, Saudi and Kuwait by Chinese military lover, and we are so envy with that they can afford some really good equipements produced by China but PLA can not due to budget shortage in our poor old days . Iraqi is also considered as 狗大户 in 1980s.

In NORINCO's target list, VT-3: low end; VT-2: medium customer; VT-1A(MBT-2000): medium to high end customer while VT-4(MBT-3000): high end customer.

I don't think middle eastern nations would go for VT-4 when they can easily afford a crap load of Abrams and Leos.

Let me tell you clearly. Pakistan is very happy with its JF17 Block I, Block II and eventually Block III upgrades. There is no chance it is going to leave that for another 15-20+ years.

Second point is export, mostly it is the Americans who have always stopped our sales prospect to the prospective countries and India comes at the second.

Neverthless, after 15+ years how many French Rafale jets it got export, almost everyone says it is a failed project, which is wrong too. Let me come to Chinese Air force if J10 is not for sale, then what aircrafts for sale, J11s...how many J11s it got sold ??
I think China is unwilling to sell J10 at this stage, because it's its top advanced main frontline figther, exporting to other parties may lead to the disclosure of its high technology. Another factor is that J10' productivity still cannot fullfil PLA's demand, no extra products can be offered for sales. For J11 and its series, reasons are similar with J10 in addition that it's involved with intellectual property rights, which is claimed by Russia, so you can see that China never publicly advocate J10/J11 series for export.

Thirdly, China and Pakistan are one and the same thing, as we think like, like Brothers...so Chinese/Pakistan sales are not as counted as really a export order, unless it is necessary to make ones country lift its sales status, normally world doesnot count it as a customer-business relationship too.
I'm afraid that China/Pak don't have enough productivity to build extra JF-17 for sales.

Let me tell you clearly. Pakistan is very happy with its JF17 Block I, Block II

lastly, customers still want improvements on Jf17s like the AESA radar, and other improved parts, countries definately want a replacement in FUTURE, so donot worry about that, and remember currently capacity is low, Pakistan and Chinese factories are not even able to full fill PAF orders yet, talk abt exporting.

lets get back to mbt 3000 / vt4 possible future Al Haider tank here. ok.
Agree. JF17 will have bright export prospects. Current bottleneck is productivity, sales service and engines availability.

Last edited:
I don't think middle eastern nations would go for VT-4 when they can easily afford a crap load of Abrams and Leos.
No matter they will buy or not,NORINCO should have the high end product off the shelf. This is a commercial strategy for any mature company

Last edited:
If VT-4 is really a powerful beast, maybe China can use it to hold some tank contests similar to Russian's world tank competion. It's good chance to demonstrate tank's capabilities. China can design better competition rules including armor test and moving shoot test.

I think China is unwilling to sell J10 at this stage, because it's its top advanced main frontline figther, exporting to other parties may lead to the disclosure of its high technology. Another factor is that J10' productivity still cannot fullfil PLA's demand, no extra products can be offered for sales. For J11 and its series, reasons are similar with J10 in addition that it's involved with intellectual property rights, which is claimed by Russia, so you can see that China never publicly advocate J10/J11 series for export.

I'm afraid that China/Pak don't have enough productivity to build extra JF-17 for sales.

Agree. JF17 will have bright export prospects. Current bottleneck is productivity, sales service and engines availability.
China is ready to sell J-10 we don't have money to buy them

China is ready to sell J-10 we don't have money to buy them
Yet I can't find formal information about J-10 export in chinese media. But it's possible that it is just not reported, just like before some weapon export deals were not reported in my country and we found them from foreign magzines. If it's true, I think it may be a special treatment to Pakistan due to special relation between our two country.

Yet I can't find formal information about J-10 export in chinese media. But it's possible that it is just not reported, just like before some weapon export deals were not reported in my country and we found them from foreign magzines. If it's true, I think it may be a special treatment to Pakistan due to special relation between our two country.

Premier wen did mention about selling Pakistan J-10 but I guess financial problem did hinder the deal. Other than that, J-10 is not clear for export for other countries. I always have a laugh when the western cock up news of China desperate trying to sell J-10 to countries like Myanmar and venezula with no success. The truth is J-10 specification is still a state secret. Its dogfight capabilities is in fact closely guarded and China military is loaded with money. PLA don't need to sell its best to get funding. It just need approval from top and money will fall from sky. Remember PLA is the best funded after US armed forces. No other countries come close.
China military sales usually will place bilateral relationship first over money.

I think tanks will be phased out because they consume too much diesel and have questionable survival capability. Even the best tanks the Leopard won't stand a hair chance against mediocre attack choppers.

China should start the development of the next generation land combat vehicle. I envision something that combines high stealthiness, high mobility, medium armor, sensors, and datalink. An all purpose, all terrain, mobile combat machine that provides firepower, anti-air, and act as an infantry command center. The unit should be significantly lighter than tanks so that each Y-20 would be able to carry two at least.

Imagine deploy two or three of these bad boys with a few squads of elite infantry, it would wreck havoc everywhere they go.

Israel and usa working on laser tanks which can cut through anything from steel concrete missiles etc if it is future than we must look where we want to be heading

Israel and usa working on laser tanks which can cut through anything from steel concrete missiles etc if it is future than we must look where we want to be heading

Laser can certainly be a possible future but right now it still consumes too much power and miniaturization has been an issue.

The future of warfare I think will rely far more on system than individual unit. Computerized datalink that can network all vehicles, infantry, and air support effectively would be the key to defeat the opponents. Vehicles that fit the requirement would require smaller but more effective weapon than tank guns for sure. Imagine each vehicle would also act as a local command center. If destroyed, the system would intelligently allocate the command to a different vehicle.

This is why I think tanks, being so clumsy and expensive, would soon be obsolete all together. Lighter, faster, all terrain high tech vehicle would be the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom