What's new

Nobel committee warned not to award peace prize to Chinese dissident

I suspect he's not after this angle. He probably thinks Chinese thoughts and traditions are backwards therefore colonialism should have erase Chinese culture and replaced it with Western.

Its amazing how people can harbor such notions considering where China is today. He should just move to a western nation and be done with it.

Do you mean reformist measures similar to those by the philospher Zhu Xi or that the Confucian thoughts are corrupted to start with?

I feel that people mis-interpret his ideas or otherwise thinking he is advocating avoiding trouble by all costs/being loyal under all conditions. Or people who are too preoccupied about face and doing the surface work. Or people who just think he is being the fake wise man.

I feel that people mis-interpret his ideas or otherwise thinking he is advocating avoiding trouble by all costs/being loyal under all conditions. Or people who are too preoccupied about face and doing the surface work. Or people who just think he is being the fake wise man.

From my disastrous foray into a political science course what I learned was that he drew lessons from turmoil of the warring state period and attributed the breakdown of society to taking of royal zhou titles by warlords/bah wong (hegemons?) and usurping of rituals. He also talks about obligations within the family structure and how that mirrors society as a whole.

Did he actually say that ,despite having textbook examples in the neighborhood?

In a 1988 interview with Hong Kong's Liberation Monthly (now known as Open Magazine), Liu replied to a question on what it would take for China to realize a true historical transformation: "(It would take) 300 years of colonialism. In 100 years of colonialism, Hong Kong has changed to what we see today. With China being so big, of course it would take 300 years of colonialism for it to be able to change to how Hong Kong is today. I have my doubts as to whether 300 years would be enough."[39] Liu later admitted that the response was extemporaneous and used as evidence against him, commenting that, "even today [in 2006], patriotic 'angry youth' still frequently use these words to paint me with 'treason.'"[39]

link: Liu Xiaobo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What was this guy smoking when he made that statement ? I doubt China can do much about Noble Prize. Something is clear though, if he is awarded with the prize, he would be paraded around as a showpeice, thats what the Chinese authorities are concerned.

Last edited:
link: Liu Xiaobo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What was this guy smoking when he made that statement ? I doubt China can do much about Noble Prize. Something is clear though, if he is awarded with the prize, he would be paraded around as a swhowpeice, thats what the Chinese authorities are concerned.

He says it was taken out of context but I don't think so. It really does show a fundamental rejection of his own culture and values for those of westerns one. Like others have mentioned the red guard generations know only blind worship and lack any semblance of nuisance. It had been Mao they worshiped in the 70's, they've really only replaced Mao with another idol.

I have no problem if any kind of douchebag is selected for Nobel Peace prize, it is given to Obama the Magnificent and Arafat the Peaceful, and was never given to Gandhi.

He says it was taken out of context but I don't think so. It really does show a fundamental rejection of his own culture and values for those of westerns one. Like others have mentioned the red guard generations know only blind worship and lack any semblance of nuisance. It had been Mao they worshiped in the 70's, they've really only replaced Mao with another idol.

I don't think this attitude is uncommon in South Asia, Even in India i have seen older people (i think i have to say people above 70 to 75 years and still alive!!!!) who talk about British efficiency and other **** as if they were the golden days. :blink: :hitwall:

What can i say slavery of mind is more dangerous than physical one.

The Nobel peace has lost its legimacy since the award had been given to War Criminals and to radicalism and extremism. The nobel prize in Chemistry, Physics etc always go to EU, US and Japanese researchers while the Nobel peace prize is always awarded or threatened to be awarded to Chinese, Iranians, Birmans, Soviets (before 1990) dissidents etc that is to those so called citizens dissidents of countries which are not allies of the West.
China has to set up its own Nobel prizes and the Chinese version Nobel peace price should be awarded to the following contenders: Chavez, Ahmadinejad, Kim Ill Sung etc that is to those personalities who are against the West. Likewise the chinese version Nobel prizes in Chemistry, Physics, Literature should be exclusively awarded to Chinese Han, Chinese Hong Kong, Canadian Chinese that is only to Chinese.:victory::victory:

The Nobel peace has lost its legimacy since the award had been given to War Criminals and to radicalism and extremism. The nobel prize in Chemistry, Physics etc always go to EU, US and Japanese researchers while the Nobel peace prize is always awarded or threatened to be awarded to Chinese, Iranians, Birmans, Soviets (before 1990) dissidents etc that is to those so called citizens dissidents of countries which are not allies of the West.
China has to set up its own Nobel prizes and the Chinese version Nobel peace price should be awarded to the following contenders: Chavez, Ahmadinejad, Kim Ill Sung etc that is to those personalities who are against the West. Likewise the chinese version Nobel prizes in Chemistry, Physics, Literature should be exclusively awarded to Chinese Han, Chinese Hong Kong, Canadian Chinese that is only to Chinese.:victory::victory:

We have the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Chinese Academy of Engineering, and Chinese Academy of Social Sciences. Being a member of any one is highly prestigious (Yuan Longping was a member of the Academy of Engineering and he was considered one of the greatest biologists alive). Currently we have the most articles published in the area of physical and materials chemistry in the world. Our most lacking area is biology, but that's expected, since biology is a typical high input for low output field.

Yeah he did say that during an interview with a HK newspaper where he attributed HK's progress to British colonial rule (instead of HK people) and said China need to be colonized for 300 years so it can become modern.

In all honesty, HK's relative prosperity can, to a certain degree (exact threshold debatable of course), be attributable to the relative effectiveness and "cleanliness" of British rule.

Like all "colonialists" in the past, the Brits could be both "enlightening" and oppressive. Going back in time, we saw the "Hellenes" under Alexander the Great exert complex influence on large tracts of Eurasia ...

As much as I disagree with Liu's naive enthusiasm over "romantic colonization", there are two sides to this. Of all people here, I would expect you to be able to "辩证" both sides ...

This has little to do with the real reason why Liu is in prison, nor the dispensing of "Nobel" political price to him or others.

Nobel Peace prize is a farce. If a future President of a country could get based on his manifesto, anyone could get it.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom