What's new

Nobel committee warned not to award peace prize to Chinese dissident

(working on a chem paper due tomorrow and it's f'ing driving me nuts, need a little distraction)
I got to write up a pre-lab write up for some titration lab tomorrow; I know just how you feel.

Absurd to assume western imperialism would work towards the betterment of the subject people. I don't usually pay much attention to these activists but I am genuinely interested now. How does he come to the conclusion that western imperialism would change China for the better? Can someone explain this guy to me?
I don't know about Chinese, but Americans who support colonialism use the stance of how Africa wasn't too bad under European rule but it now a hell hole after they left. (Which is completely wrong.) I'm guessing that this Liu guy might be thinking along the same lines.

I got to write up a pre-lab write up for some titration lab tomorrow; I know just how you feel.

I'll do your titration lab write up if you elucidate the three possible mechanism of general acid catalysis of ester hydrolysis.

Structure and mechanism in intramolecular catalysis. Hydrolysis of substituted aspirins - Journal of the American Chemical Society (ACS Publications)

I don't know about Chinese, but Americans who support colonialism use the stance of how Africa wasn't too bad under European rule but it now a hell hole after they left. (Which is completely wrong.) I'm guessing that this Liu guy might be thinking along the same lines.

I suspect he's not after this angle. He probably thinks Chinese thoughts and traditions are backwards therefore colonialism should have erase Chinese culture and replaced it with Western.

I'll do your titration lab write up if you elucidate the three possible mechanism of general acid catalysis of ester hydrolysis.

Structure and mechanism in intramolecular catalysis. Hydrolysis of substituted aspirins - Journal of the American Chemical Society (ACS Publications)

I suspect, he's not after this angle. He probably thinks that Chinese thought and tradition is backwards therefore colonialism would have erase Chinese culture and replaced it with Western.

Gibberish, sir, the stuff that you chem people write are absolute gibberish to me. :woot:

I think Liu, on a personal level, wants what is best for China but his philosophy and methods are far from ideal. Simply by copying the Western political system won't solve all of China's woes and complete cutural conversion is only going to make the matters worse.

I really wish Liu Xiaobo can be awarded a Nobel peace prize.

Mr.Liu is, of course, famous for saying the West should colonize China for 300 years so China can become a modern country. Europhilia among the Chinese public need a serious clampdown, and it would be the perfect opportunity for the Chinese public to know what a bunch of anti-Chinese racists those Europeans still are.

Did he actually say that ,despite having textbook examples in the neighborhood?

Lol, my chem if first year college chemistry. What year is yours?

I suspect he's not after this angle. He probably thinks Chinese thoughts and traditions are backwards therefore colonialism should have erase Chinese culture and replaced it with Western.
Yeah, that's what most supporters of colonialism believe in. Problem is, they only think history begins when Europeans began to colonize those areas, like Africa. Africa has a much deeper history then just 400 years, and at on point, had some of the best universities in the world during the Islamic Golden Age.

Yeah, that's what most supporters of colonialism believe in. Problem is, they only think history begins when Europeans began to colonize those areas, like Africa. Africa has a much deeper history then just 400 years, and at on point, had some of the best universities in the world during the Islamic Golden Age.

Excellent point. :cheers:

Did he actually say that ,despite having textbook examples in the neighborhood?

Yeah he did say that during an interview with a HK newspaper where he attributed HK's progress to British colonial rule (instead of HK people) and said China need to be colonized for 300 years so it can become modern.

And that too, comming from a guy who probably didn't got past junior high.

Even university professors don't profess to understand Chinese thoughts completely.
Chinese thoughts are deep enough if you dig. Those confucius institutes though they may be a good thing seems to remind me of chinese philosophical version of McDonalds.

It's a bit sad though, not even majority of chinese have faith in their forefathers anymore. Seems materialism is the way to go, coupled with a spiritual vacuum.

Last edited:
Lol, my chem if first year college chemistry. What year is yours?

Well, these confused people think if you act don't white, you must be backwards.

and I'm in my last year.

Yeah he did say that during an interview with a HK newspaper where he attributed HK's progress to British colonial rule (instead of HK people) and said China need to be colonized for 300 years so it can become modern.

No doubt HK benefited immensely from the inheritance of a British financial and legal institutions but I suspect Liu's motivation is less about economic prosperity than riding China of its Chineseness.

And that too, comming from a guy who probably didn't got past junior high.

Even university professors don't profess to understand chinese thoughts completely.

Like you said an education is crucial. It's not even so much about learning any specific subject but rather learning how to learn. That's the important bit.

what's funny is how liu kept his job as a teacher for over 10 years until he was arrested!

at least chemistry makes sense and you can "visualize" the results...

Chinese thoughts are deep enough if you dig. Those confucius institutes though they may be a good thing seems to remind me of chinese philosophical version of McDonalds.

I thought they were mainly a language school? Surely any Confucian philosophy taught would merely be to facilitate the learning of the language. I actually think these are a very smart initiative. Learning the Chinese language is probably the only way to change people's perspectives and get them to look at China in a new way.

I just feel the ideas advocated by confucius school of thought have corrupted and changed taste.

I just feel the ideas advocated by confucius school of thought have corrupted and changed taste.

Do you mean reformist measures similar to those by the philospher Zhu Xi or that the Confucian thoughts are corrupted to start with?

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom