What's new

No houses on rent for Indians in Singapore

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Many online home rental websites in Singapore include the words "No Indians, no People's Republic of China (PRC)", which is sometimes followed by the word "sorry", leading to increasing rental discrimination in the city.

The issue appears more common with less expensive properties and on sites where content is posted directly by users, the Online Citizen reported.

The president of the Universal Society of Hinduism (USH), Rajan Zed, has called on Singapore's President Tony Tan and Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong to put an end to the discrimination, which is becoming a rising menace.

The emergence of anti-foreigner sentiments in Singapore has become a major cause of concern, with the government constantly urging the Singaporeans to welcome expatriates and to help them integrate into the city-state's multi-cultural society.

One Indian expatriate said his agent told him that many landlords would refuse to rent flats to him because "Indians always cook smelly curries", BBC reported.

Charlene, an estate agent, said it was common for landlords not to rent houses to tenants from India or China because such tenants "are not people who are house proud".

"Many don't clean weekly, and they do heavy cooking, so dust and oil collect over the months. They may use a lot of spices that release smells people don't like," Charlene added.

Singapore is one of the ethnically most diverse nations, consisting mainly of Chinese-origin people along with Malay, Indian and other ethnic groups.

Many online home rental websites in Singapore include the words "No Indians, no People's Republic of China (PRC)", which is sometimes followed by the word "sorry", leading to increasing rental discrimination in the city.

The issue appears more common with less expensive properties and on sites where content is posted directly by users, the Online Citizen reported.

The president of the Universal Society of Hinduism (USH), Rajan Zed, has called on Singapore's President Tony Tan and Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong to put an end to the discrimination, which is becoming a rising menace.

The emergence of anti-foreigner sentiments in Singapore has become a major cause of concern, with the government constantly urging the Singaporeans to welcome expatriates and to help them integrate into the city-state's multi-cultural society.

One Indian expatriate said his agent told him that many landlords would refuse to rent flats to him because "Indians always cook smelly curries", BBC reported.

Charlene, an estate agent, said it was common for landlords not to rent houses to tenants from India or China because such tenants "are not people who are house proud".

"Many don't clean weekly, and they do heavy cooking, so dust and oil collect over the months. They may use a lot of spices that release smells people don't like," Charlene added.

Singapore is one of the ethnically most diverse nations, consisting mainly of Chinese-origin people along with Malay, Indian and other ethnic groups.

lolz:what::what: @"Many don't clean weekly, and they do heavy cooking, so dust and oil collect over the months. They may use a lot of spices that release smells people don't like," Charlene added.

laughing-019.gif
lol-049.gif
lol-003.gif

If Chicken Korma is smelly then those landlords must be from Mars! Jeeez! :P

hee....may be some other reason ....not curry ?
as per my information now this days Singaporean use to have at least one curry item in their meal......

why are chinese discriminated against, given that most people of singapore are of chinese origin, and chinese dont cook smelly curries.

lolz:what::what: @"Many don't clean weekly, and they do heavy cooking, so dust and oil collect over the months. They may use a lot of spices that release smells people don't like," Charlene added.
Frankly speaking without any offence to Indian members..... i had some Indian students renting one of my flats, after they moved out, it cost me around 5000 pounds to have it refurbished.

why are chinese discriminated against, given that most people of singapore are of chinese origin, and chinese dont cook smelly curries.

You will be surprised, but a survey of SG cabbies revealed they hate PRC tourists more than Indian ones :)

BTW my malay muslim landlord would actively seek out Indians because we don't eat pork. Its really not a big issue. And if the OP thinks those ads mean No Indians but Pakistanis OK then LOL!!!!!

After reading this on Times Of India, I searched Google for some Singapore website but i didn't found any "No Indians, no People's Republic of China (PRC)" early this morning:undecided:.

Frankly speaking without any offence to Indian members..... i had some Indian students renting one of my flats, after they moved out, it cost me around 5000 pounds to have it refurbished.
which part

You will be surprised, but a survey of SG cabbies revealed they hate PRC tourists more than Indian ones :)

BTW my malay muslim landlord would actively seek out Indians because we don't eat pork. Its really not a big issue. And if the OP thinks those ads mean No Indians but Pakistanis OK then LOL!!!!!
I know, by no Indian, they mean no south asian. lolz
The smelly curry is a genuine concern for those who dont cook it (but eat once a while in restaurants).

laughing-019.gif
lol-049.gif
lol-003.gif

If Chicken Korma is smelly then those landlords must be from Mars! Jeeez! :P[/quoi was a neighbour to a malay family house, you must smell the dry fish which they ll do every day...

Singaporeans are also discriminating against Chinese also ? :what:

On topic- Landlords have a right to decide who to rent their flats to and who not to rent their flats to. No issues with that. My dad being a landlord, renting out many rooms to tenants, I understand why you may need to avoid some people.

Singaporeans almost 80 percent think they are far superior peoples than indian and chinese(you dont believe my singaporean colleagues
used speak nasty things about china) and they are ethnic chinese

The obsessive nature and digressing habits are never far.......does the article mentions Pakistan anywhere nor did i imply as such.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom