What's new

No consensus in BJP, Advani, Sushma and MM Joshi oppose Narendra Modi as PM

[Bregs]

Reaction score
Country
India
PTI | Sep 11, 2013, 08.44 PM IST

NEW DELHI: L K Advani on Wednesday appeared to be a stumbling block for the BJP in finalising the name of Narendra Modi as its prime ministerial candidate and hectic efforts were underway to convince him to give up his opposition.

BJP president Rajnath Singh had a 30-minute meeting with Advani to persuade him on Modi's candidature but failed to get an assurance, sources said.

His predecessor Nitin Gadkari had met Advani on Tuesday as an emissary of the RSS for the same purpose but reportedly went back empty-handed. Gadkari left for Nagpur, where the RSS headquarters are located, to brief the Sangh leaders on the developments.

There are reports that RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat may meet Modi in Gandhinagar on Thursday to discuss this issue. RSS has categorically said there is no dispute over Modi's name but the timing of the announcement has to be decided by the BJP.

Meanwhile, general secretary (organisation) Ramlal - who is the RSS pointsman in BJP - has been given the task of finding a suitable date before September 19 when the parliamentary board members are in the capital so that a meeting can be held.

Other than Advani, leader of the opposition Sushma Swaraj and Murli Manohar Joshi are also opposed to announcing Modi as the PM candidate before the forthcoming assembly elections in Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Rajasthan and Delhi.

"A decision on the issue will be taken by the parliamentary board with as much consensus as possible," BJP spokesperson Sudanshu Trivedi told reporters in reply to a question on whether all members are on board on Modi.

He denied reports that the panel may meet on September 13 and said no formal decision on a date has been taken yet.

Those opposed to Modi, however, maintain that had there been a consensus on his name the parliamentary board would have been called at a short notice.

"Looking for consensus date is a facade. parliamentary board meetings have been called even at a few hours notice," a senior leader said.

Source: No consensus in BJP, Advani, Sushma and MM Joshi oppose Narendra Modi as PM candidate - The Times of India

[Bregs];4758392 said:
Its very strange that so many senior leaders opposing the name of a person who is immensely popular in internet and facebook

They have two things in common.Neither of them can win a single seat on their own and second they have
been the most lousy opposition on record it seems money from upa2 has changed hands.Their role is just
to damage the BJP.

From India Times

NEW DELHI: The BJP is set to declare Narendra Modi as the party's prime ministerial candidate on Friday despite senior leader LK Advani's last-ditch attempt to delay the anointment until the completion of a series of assembly elections later this year.

Advani's refusal to endorse Modi's candidature on Wednesday will not impact BJP President Rajnath Singh's plan to convene the meeting of the party's parliamentary board on Friday to ratify the decision, a senior leader told ET. Singh has been making plans to make the formal announcement after a meeting of the parliamentary board at 4 pm on Friday. Singh had on Tuesday contacted members of the parliamentary board from Jaipur and asked them to be present in Delhi on Friday.

"The party president has consulted every member of the board and chief ministers of BJP-ruled states. Singh will decide on the format of the decision-making in the light of the latest development," said the leader, a board member who didn't wish to be named.

Singh met Advani on Wednesday afternoon to persuade to him to back the decision that has the support of an overwhelming majority in the party and its ideological mentor, the RSS. "I have conveyed this view to you earlier. And I stand by it," Advani told Singh, a person privy to the conversation said.

At a meeting with senior Sangh leaders on Sunday, RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat had said the decision on Modi should not wait and that the party leadership should go with "popular expectations". Former BJP president Nitin Gadkari had on Tuesday evening asked Advani on the RSS' behalf to make the announcement in Modi's favour. Advani refused, saying he could not do so unless Modi's candidature was to be announced after the assembly elections, the person cited earlier said.

Advani's rebellion will put the focus on divisions within the party, the board member quoted earlier said. "It may have little impact on the inner party dynamics, but it will give our adversaries a handle to beat us with." Several senior leaders that ET spoke with said they could not comprehend Advani's rebellion. While Venkaiah Naidu, Gadkari and Arun Jaitley have met Advani separately in the past two weeks to get his consent, his advisors like S Gurumurthy have been urging him to give up his resistance.

Narendra Modi-for-PM announcement will be 'disaster', LK Advani reportedly said | NDTV.com

[Bregs];4758392 said:
Its very strange that so many senior leaders opposing the name of a person who is immensely popular in internet and facebook

He's popular ONLY on internet and facebook :lol:

They will fall in line once they realize Modi is indispensable for BJP. This time people will vote for BJP because of Modi; not anybody else

You're not even an Indian

There is a saying 'qui bono' ie who benefits from all this.It is clear that Advani with his approach is trying to help the gandhi family.This fact is also bolstered by the fact that he has been a totally ineffictive opposition.Either the congress knows how he got his ill gotten gains or he is in its payroll.
Advani, sushma Swaraj and M.M Joshi are unable to win a single seat on their own so why not share in the loot of the country by this method.

i cant understand wat they r thinking... bjp's hope of coming to power is modi!!!

[QUOTE
He's popular ONLY on internet and facebook :lol:
[/QUOTE]

Yes very true I remember you Advani, Sushma Swaraj and M.M joshi winning in three consecutive terms in Gujarat and
being named Vikas purush on faceboook only and having 43% popularity amongst indian voters on facebook.

Has another E-NREGA worker JOINED IN during my absence??? :P

Yupz!! Our strengths are growing thanks to free food by Sonia ji and Rahul Ji.. Did you see todays news.. I loled :omghaha:

I will crush my dreams to fulfill yours: Rahul Gandhi

Jaipur: Congress' vice president and its most preferred candidate to take on BJP's Narendra Modi on Wednesday kicked-off his party's campaign for upcoming Assembly election in Rajasthan by asking his supporters to bring his party back to power.

Addressing a Congress rally in Udaipur, Rahul Gandhi said, "My party has worked for the common man in Delhi and in Rajasthan. We have worked for the poor. We have worked for the nation."

The young Congress leader continued by saying, "I am ready to forgo my own dreams to fulfill your dreams. If you want to abuse us you are free to do so but we will not accept that since we are true soldiers of the Congress."

The Gandhi scion also gave a slogan, "Eat three-four rotis and bring Congress back to power."

During his speech, Gandhi also hailed the Food Security Bill – a UPA government's initiative to ensure cheap food for nearly 67% of the country's population.

Highlighting the importance of the Food Bill, he came down heavily on the Opposition for attempting to block its passage in the Parliament.

Rahul Gandhi's Udaipur rally was dubbed as Congress' answer to BJP's star campaigner and poll panel chief Narendra Modi's mammoth rally in Jaipur on Tuesday.

Congress vice president is likely to address one more rally in the state – in Baran on September 17.

Congress President Sonia Gandhi is also expected to address two rallies in the state.

While Modi appears all set to be the prime ministerial candidate of the BJP, the situation has remained unclear in the Congress despite a growing clamour from party leaders that Gandhi scion be declared as party's prime ministerial candidate.

Addressing the Jaipur rally, yesterday, Modi had blamed the ruling Congress-led coalition for a series of cases of corruption, scams and economic decline of the country, and appealed to his supporters to oust the ruling party in the upcoming polls.

I will crush my dreams to fulfill yours: Rahul Gandhi

[Bregs];4758392 said:

You forgot to mention different surveys conducted by different survey orgs and mind it they are not online.

These senior leaders just can't gulp the fact that a junior has overshadowed them and by the way there is internal politics in every democratic political party which is not ruled by a particular family clan.

Advani is a sore loser.

He is such a pacifist that he makes Sonia and MMS look like right wing nationalists.

The old dingbat is better off resigning and playing with kids.

BJP's lead is ONLY because of Modi's image. If they don't choose him, it will be doomed.

Sushma and Arun Jaitley failed to do anything for BJP in the last 2 terms and their limitations are seen here.

Seems that money has changed hands with these loser

They should be sacked out of BJP if at all this coalition has to continue.

I hope Advani and Sushma join UPA and vanish in thin air.

Back
Top Bottom