What's new

Nitin Gadkari, Sri Lankan PM discuss $5.19 billion India-Lanka road project, underwater tunnel!!

It's Sri Lanka's curse to have a neighbour like Tamil Nadu.

SO SRI LANKA IS SHOWING ITS TRUE FACE . . . . .

What face.. ?

I agree with you....Already there is a deep level of trust level definciency between people from Tamilnadu and Sri Lankans. So any more physical connectivity is not desired at all. Rather focus on existing infrastructure and strengthen it.

A good start is relaunching the Tuticorin Mannar ferry service

What relations? TN does not have a separate foreign policy of it's own. Neither does any of it's political parties have any influence over the central govt. as it was in the previous UPA govt. People of TN do not give two hoots about Tamil nationalism. Most of them would love to visit SL for a vacation. And there are many traders from both places who constantly travel for selling and buying stuff. Also there are many Tamils from both places who like to travel for pilgrimages to the various temples in TN and SL. Honestly, the TN-SL animosity is a myth (at least as far as the TN side is concerned, I know it is so), propagated by small fringe parties vying for attention. If Rajapakse had been in power these groups in TN could have exploited that sentiment. However, after the change in leadership, TN Tamils do not care much.

It's not the people but the polity of TN, Including mainstream parties, I agree even to this day people to people contact with TN remains good, But given to the attritional politics in Madras, There will be a lot of apprehension by majority of Lankans, The idea of a actual physical connection does not go down well.. Given even with the sea between the problems Sri Lanka had to deal with

Also one need to realize the kind of island mentality has a certain degree of insularity.. They have enjoyed a certain degree of isolation from the sub continent for millenia.. People do not want to see a change such a social structure.. Or fear of change from overwhelming numbers

Under water tunnel ?:sarcastic:
Seems we are going to take lanka for a grand ride, it will only remain on paper for years. As other ppl suggested hovercraft/ferry service is the best , economical viable and technically feasible.

It's the Indian side thats making all the noises.. Lankans are not keen.. So they'd be more than happy the ride you mentioned does not happen

Last edited:
No need to hurry, there are many problems that needs to be solved first in both India and SL and we should look if the return of investment is large enough

Will be like the Eurotunnel and will increase tourism! I support this.

Definitely not financially viable at the moment.And India would have to share most of the cost.

What relations? TN does not have a separate foreign policy of it's own. Neither does any of it's political parties have any influence over the central govt. as it was in the previous UPA govt. People of TN do not give two hoots about Tamil nationalism. Most of them would love to visit SL for a vacation. And there are many traders from both places who constantly travel for selling and buying stuff. Also there are many Tamils from both places who like to travel for pilgrimages to the various temples in TN and SL. Honestly, the TN-SL animosity is a myth (at least as far as the TN side is concerned, I know it is so), propagated by small fringe parties vying for attention. If Rajapakse had been in power these groups in TN could have exploited that sentiment. However, after the change in leadership, TN Tamils do not care much.

Absolutely correct. Only the totally rejected political parties of TN are using the SL Tamilian issue as an occasional talking point. From what I have seen the general public of TN are no different from rest of the country - they do not like the violence inflicted by the SL government and they do not like the terror tactics that LTTE inflicted either. The one thing I do see some concern about is that while there are Tamil refugees in a couple of camps in TN - there is a need to properly settle them as current temporary arrangements are leading to trouble for the refugees and for the neighborhood.

what.png

Definitely not financially viable at the moment.And India would have to share most of the cost.

This idea has been there for a long time and has never gone ahead, I don't think it will go ahead for the next few decades

They even said they will build it 6 years ago!

@samv - the same idiot Tamil leaders of TN also demanded a Tamil Nadu nation to separate from India sometime ago....naturally the people of TN will have nothing to do with it.

I know it will be difficult for SL and even rest of India to understand the true pulse of people of TN. The fact is a humongous majority of people of TN do NOT support separate Tamil nation - whether in India or in SL. They did sympathize with SL Tamils quest for fair and equal treatment BUT when LTTE et all started using terror tactics, that sympathy also turned to more of sadness than support. Sadness because the SL Tamils ended up being violated by the LTTE itself in addition to not getting fair and equal treatment!

It's an absolute shame what the politicians of Tamil Nadu have done in the name of Tamilians of both countries

This idea has been there for a long time and has never gone ahead, I don't think it will go ahead for the next few decades

They even said they will build it 6 years ago!

It was Ranil's idea. He got booted out before he could realize his dream... now he wants to bring it back.

@samv - the same idiot Tamil leaders of TN also demanded a Tamil Nadu nation to separate from India sometime ago....naturally the people of TN will have nothing to do with it.

I know it will be difficult for SL and even rest of India to understand the true pulse of people of TN. The fact is a humongous majority of people of TN do NOT support separate Tamil nation - whether in India or in SL. They did sympathize with SL Tamils quest for fair and equal treatment BUT when LTTE et all started using terror tactics, that sympathy also turned to more of sadness than support. Sadness because the SL Tamils ended up being violated by the LTTE itself in addition to not getting fair and equal treatment!

Sorry, not buying it. Tamil Nadu has been an endless curse for Sri Lanka.

Reminds me of previous NDA government's decision to dredge a sea route through Palk Straight.
The project cost will eventually zoom up from 5 billion dollars to anything. Such projects, in my opinion, should not get priority, rather the money can be used for linking most major cities through expressways.

Sorry, not buying it. Tamil Nadu has been an endless curse for Sri Lanka.

not selling anything for you to buy....just stating factual observations.

Nothing worse happens to India or SL if this bridge does not get built. If it does get built I think it brings benefits to both. And a hope that in that process the violated Tamils of SL somehow manage to get some better life.

Back
Top Bottom