What's new

Nigerian Air Force JF-17 Thunder Begins Flight Tests in Pakistan

What is your source that Bangladesh will buy F-16s? Bangladesh-Myanmar are not nemisis per say they do seem to have somewhat of a rivalry tho but that should not stop Pakistan from selling to both sides as China/Russia have done for them.

3 jets for the whole nigerian airforce? :D you gotta be kidding..they will be one of the richest countries in Africa and will have a huge demand... sad to see our current strategic thinking is still from 40 years ago.

Their interest has been in news for a while
https://www.defenseworld.net/news/2...nships___Missile_Systems_from_US#.XscO0WgzZPY

Nigeria has no requirement for an offensive asset like thunders in long term. Their only enemies are terrorists from boko haram and maybe some other organisation. They already have plenty of light attack/coin options in their inventory. Also thunders are subjected to their ability to pay which they would have done if they had any money to pay in first place. If they decide to buy more then good for us but currently they have not shown any interest in procurement of more thunders. Also they have 7-8 F7 so i am only stating obvious fact nothing out of air.

Last edited:
Their interest has been in news for a while
https://www.defenseworld.net/news/2...nships___Missile_Systems_from_US#.XscO0WgzZPY

Nigeria has no requirement for an offensive asset like thunders in long term. Their only enemies are terrorists from boko haram and maybe some other organisation. They already have plenty of light attack/coin options in their inventory. Also thunders are subjected to their ability to pay which they would have done if they had any money to pay in first place. If they decide to buy more then good for us but currently they have not shown any interest in procurement of more thunders. Also they have 7-8 F7 so i am only stating obvious fact nothing out of air.
They have the ambition to be leaders in Africa continent. But I do not know if they have the capacity to induct such weapon in decent quantity in their armed force yet. 3 is a good start but I doubt they will further get more in near future. Maybe 2025, they will further signed another deal for another 8-12 of block 3.

Not just Nigeria bought JF17s, remember Super Mashak aircrafts were also bought by Nigeria.
I think most Africa countries pilot still prefer the mechanical steer fighter jets and traditional dogfight doctrine without the complex electronic maintenance requirement. That is why Sudan bought JL-9 trainer/fighter .

This is great... Nigeria is projected to become an African superpower within a decade or 2. Its GDP will be one of the largest in the world. This initial order is definately going to lead to a long term military relationship with Pakistan. I know many of their personal are already trained in Pakistan.

If Nigeria buy 50 Jf-17s it will easily be in the pipeline for future orders of Project Azm (Pakistan 5th generation fighter) and will become a major military powerhouse in Africa.

Focus should be on gaining strong relations with future economic powerhouse ie Egypt, Nigeria, Bangladesh, South Africa, etc... these countries will have GDPs similar to todays western european nations within a few decades. Better start building these exports now.
To be frank with u , as a half Nigerian, can tell you that this current goat of a president has set Nigeria back at leasta decade. Everything is down- the currency, incomes, security. I am happy to see Nigeria and Pakistan have good, even defense relationship. I met and became friends with a few Pakistanis who live and work in my state in Nigeria, rivers state, they are cool people. had great time hanging out. I miss them. Impressed with Pakistan selling jets too, nice move.

The aircraft are rumored to be of a later version than the initially agreed sale, providing more advanced systems.

PAC and its sweet deals.

What if Nigerian planes get into hands of nato or india ? 3 planes seems like they want it for other purpose. Pakistan Military industries are not dumb I know but I had this question in mind.

A non-issue.

Getting a look at a fighter jet isn't all that big a deal. What matters on the battlefield are the tactics.

They have the ambition to be leaders in Africa continent. But I do not know if they have the capacity to induct such weapon in decent quantity in their armed force yet. 3 is a good start but I doubt they will further get more in near future. Maybe 2025, they will further signed another deal for another 8-12 of block 3.

I think most Africa countries pilot still prefer the mechanical steer fighter jets and traditional dogfight doctrine without the complex electronic maintenance requirement. That is why Sudan bought JL-9 trainer/fighter .

They dont really have border conflicts and building up large force just invites trouble from regional players. At present 3 Thunders will be more than enough for their immediate needs which is to perform strikes against terrorist outfits like boko haram. Lets not forget they have various light attack and COIN platform already in their force. Their biggest enemy is corruption which needs to be dealt first in order for them to have any regional ambitions or at least to fix problems at home.

Back
Top Bottom