What's new

Nigerian Air Force JF-17 Thunder Begins Flight Tests in Pakistan

The Ronin

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
nigerian-air-force-jf-17-thunder-begins-flight-tests-in-pakistan.jpg

The JF-17 Thunder Block II fighter jets is underway with Nigerian Air Force (NAF) pilots testing the aircraft in the Pakistan Aeronautics Complex (PAC), Kamra Kalan. Nigeria became the second customer in 2016 by placing an order for 3 planes. The Nigerian Air Force has confirmed it is expecting delivery of JF-17 for use in military operations against Jihadi militants in Northern Nigeria. The aircraft are rumored to be of a later version than the initially agreed sale, providing more advanced systems.

In October 2018 Pakistan approved of the sale and local Nigerian production of three JF-17s for US$184.3 million. Nigeria had inked a contract to purchase three JF-17 Block II fighter jets and the deal was formally set in motion in March 2019 when the Pakistani government’s Economic Coordination Committee (ECC) approved a $184.3 million sovereign guarantee. The Nigerian JF-17 Block II’s price tag of approximately $60 million each indicate an aircraft with an array of weapons including air-to-air and air-to-ground aircraft and guided.

The PAC JF-17 Thunder is a lightweight, single-engine, multi-role combat aircraft developed jointly by the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC) and the Chengdu Aircraft Corporation (CAC) of China. It was designed to replace the A-5C, F-7P/PG, Mirage III, and Mirage V combat aircraft in the Pakistan Air Force. The JF-17 can be used for multiple roles, including interception, ground attack, anti-ship, and aerial reconnaissance. Its designation “JF-17” by Pakistan is short for “Joint Fighter-17”, while the designation and name “FC-1 Xiaolong” by China means “Fighter China-1 Fierce Dragon”.

The JF-17 can deploy diverse ordnance, including air-to-air and air-to-surface missiles, and a 23 mm GSh-23-2 twin-barrel autocannon. Powered by a Guizhou WS-13 or Klimov RD-93 afterburning turbofan, it has a top speed of Mach 1.8. Since its induction in 2011, the JF-17 Thunder has accumulated 19,000 hours of operational flight. The JF-17 has seen active military service as it is used by the Pakistan Air Force to bomb militant positions in North Waziristan, using both unguided munitions and guided missiles for precision strike capability.

https://militaryleak.com/2020/05/19...rSXjYFE7QgpOFs4pkKLZ57bFjvJGwfc1BnXhlUxDdc9ig

https://www.defenseworld.net/news/26995#.XsNuuanVLIU

nigeria_j_1589611163.jpg

What if Nigerian planes get into hands of nato or india ? 3 planes seems like they want it for other purpose. Pakistan Military industries are not dumb I know but I had this question in mind.

What if Nigerian planes get into hands of nato or india ? 3 planes seems like they want it for other purpose. Pakistan Military industries are not dumb I know but I had this question in mind.

LOL you are just paranoid. There should be some clause in the deal to prohibit the customer sharing any tech with third party. You won't be able to sell anything if you worry that much and before talking about Nigeria shouldn't you ask the same question about Myanmar first as they are more friendly with India recently?

Last edited:

I mean, theres nothing special about it, its not like we are talking about some sort of high tech classified asset, NATO operates F-16's, so do we, NATO operates tons of systems we do, why does it matter? India cant really get their hands on it via Nigeria either, not that it matters very much. Regardless, 3 planes was the order because Nigeria clearly didnt take a loan and is paying for them as they had the money, we will see a follow up most likely once they have money.

That's why they got block 2 and not 3.

Im pretty sure they have Block 3 subsystems

Positive news in a while. :tup:

Realistically speaking, WE cannot EXPORT anything of significance to other countries with this perception. NATO have global surveillance capabilities and WE cannot do anything about it.

Different types of combat aircraft are stationed in military bases across the Middle East from time-to-time, and PAF personnel have had opportunities to have a look up close. Good thing, right?

No need to worry about this matter.

This is great... Nigeria is projected to become an African superpower within a decade or 2. Its GDP will be one of the largest in the world. This initial order is definately going to lead to a long term military relationship with Pakistan. I know many of their personal are already trained in Pakistan.

If Nigeria buy 50 Jf-17s it will easily be in the pipeline for future orders of Project Azm (Pakistan 5th generation fighter) and will become a major military powerhouse in Africa.

Focus should be on gaining strong relations with future economic powerhouse ie Egypt, Nigeria, Bangladesh, South Africa, etc... these countries will have GDPs similar to todays western european nations within a few decades. Better start building these exports now.

Hi,

NAF is being helped and assisted by Paf staff in many ways in nigeria T THIS MOMENT---.

Positive news in a while. :tup:

Realistically speaking, WE cannot EXPORT anything of significance to other countries with this perception. NATO have global surveillance capabilities and WE cannot do anything about it.

Different types of combat aircraft are stationed in military bases across the Middle East from time-to-time, and PAF personnel have had opportunities to have a look up close. Good thing, right?

No need to worry about this matter.
I get the point now thanks.

NATO probably already have all the information about JF17 already. We operate the Stalwart fighter jet of NATO, the F16, Our closest Ally Turkey is a NATO member.Plus we don't have any possible threat coming from NATO. If we do, we are already screwed :laugh:
And as for India. They can already get info from Myanmar. But i doubt you can get much of a potentially threatening info into a technology without thorough investigation. Nigeria is not Indian Colony, Nor is India a USA. no country allows a random country to get a look into its own Defenses.
3 Planes are good for initial order, evaluation Infrastructure setting and so on. They intend to produce it in house. Consider this, Their current Inventory of Fighter Jets include a wopping 8 F7s

Last edited:
Wouldnt India get from Myanmar AF easier than asking from Nigeria?

Back
Top Bottom