What's new

News from Bangladesh-Updates and Discussion

I think most people are hoping this government ends soon. No one realised the AL would make such a mess and so soon.

One of the unique characteristic of Awami is that they talk big yet deliver zero. They inherit it from Mujib. Expect anything but disappointment from Awami league...:coffee:

Bangladesh blocking free expression

By Rater Zonaki

Hong Kong, China — Freedom of expression and freedom of the media have become key issues around the world, especially with the advent of the Internet, which has broadened the opportunities for innumerable individuals, institutions and communities to express their views without restriction.

Bangladesh has not yet been able to connect the majority of its population with the Internet, however, because of outdated policies and practices. Corporations, non-government organizations and private institutions are more advanced in the use of information technologies than are public institutions.

Public officials are too lazy to check their email regularly. Sending an email to an official address is unlikely to get a response. On most occasions emails are bounced back to the sender.

There are three reasons that Internet communication is ineffective. First, a serious shortage of electricity means that local Internet servers cannot be maintained without interruption in many places. Secondly, the lack of computers with Internet access in many parts of the country means the habit of online communication has not taken hold in Bangladesh. Thirdly, an email does not carry a bribe to a public official, so there is no incentive to respond through this medium.

Moreover, many people who do have Internet access are not yet accustomed to checking their email even once a day. The sender of the message must inform the recipient by telephone to check the email if it is important.

At the same time, there is also a small group of people who cannot think of passing the day without checking their email.

During her election campaign Sheikh Hasina, who is now prime minister, pledged to build up a "digital Bangladesh." She has followed through on this by holding Internet conferences with activists of her party and selected citizens. But so far, the majority of the people can only hope that access to this modern technology with its ease of communication will be expanded to the whole nation, instead of only to politically chosen persons.

Journalists and the print and electronic media always come to the forefront to raise their voices on behalf of the voiceless persons everywhere in the world. The standard of freedom of expression in a country can be judged by its press and the protections afforded to journalists.

Since colonial times Bangladesh had been nourishing freedom of expression as a right belonging to its people. The media contributed immensely to the country’s independence movement and its quest for sovereignty. There were a number of journalists among the 3 million liberation martyrs.

In theory, according to the Constitution of Bangladesh, freedom of expression is enshrined as a fundamental right. However, in reality the opposite is true. Under every regime journalists have faced threats and intimidation and media have been subject to censorship. The atmosphere created in the country compels the media to practice self-censorship when it comes to reporting abuses of power by the armed forces and leaders of the ruling political parties.

In the past decade, a number of journalists who have failed to practice self-censorship have been victims of assassination. The families of these journalists are still waiting for justice; there are allegations that respective governments have provided impunity to the perpetrators of these crimes.

Prior to the parliamentary election in December, 2008, the Bangladeshis expected that an elected government would realize the importance of freedom of expression and protect those in the media. The Bangladesh Awami League also made its pledges in this regard. Ironically, after the election the government has been found reluctant to respect the rights of the press.

For example, the editor of an English national daily newspaper has been under threat for weeks for being too outspoken. His car was chased by six gunmen on two motorbikes in Dhaka on the evening of March 5. Luckily he was not in the car at the time; his driver escaped with his life by speeding off.

A complaint was registered with the local police concerning this incident, but the authorities have not been able to arrest any of the gunmen nor have they taken any initiative to protect the journalist. On the other hand, a politically powerful person reportedly suggested that the journalist "control" his views.

Bangladesh should be facilitating freedom of speech and encouraging its people to express their views independently, without fear or favor. If the conscientious segment of the country's population is held at gunpoint, the future is bleak for the nation and the aspirations of its people.

The government should not fail to protect the journalists who speak out for the ordinary voiceless people. It should extend to the people affordable information technology of the current century, and encourage its active use by public officials.

If the nation wants to achieve progress in terms of democracy and infrastructure, it needs more than just election pledges.

--

(Rater Zonaki is the pseudonym of a human rights defender based in Hong Kong, working at the Asian Human Rights Commission. He is a Bangladeshi national who has worked as a journalist and human rights activist in his country for more than a decade, and as editor of publications on human rights and socio-cultural issues.)

Bangladesh blocking free expression - upiasia.com

Ershad's motorcade attacked in Kurigram: 5 hurt

supporters of Zafar Ali, an Awami League candidate attacked the vehicles of Ershad's motorcade at about 11:30am

Sunday March 29 2009 15:47:02 PM BDT

At least five people were injured and seven vehicles damaged as the motorcade of Jatiya Party Chairman HM Ershad came under attack at Kathalbari Bazar in the Kurigram town today (Sunday).(The Daily Star)

Supporters of Zafar Ali, an Awami League candidate in the by-election to the parliament, stopped the motorcade of Ershad and asked him not to go to Kurigram. They also chanted anti-Ershad slogans.

As the Zatiay Party chief was going to Kurgram defying the bar, the supporters of Zafar attacked the vehicles of Ershad's motorcade at about 11:30am, injuring five people and damaging seven vehicles.

One of the injured was identified as Col (retd) Kader, Member of Parliament from Gaibandha-1, reports our Kurigramm correspondent.

Talking to reporters at Kurigram Circuit House, Ersahd said, "Awami League leaders and activists are responsible for this unexpected incident. If the administration is unable to give me proper security, we will withdraw from the coming by-election."

"I have already informed the prime minister's press secretary about the incident," the Jatiya Party chief said.

When contacted, Zafar Ali told The Daily Star, "It was pre-planned by the Jatiya Party itself for making an opportunity to blame the Awami League. They have done this intentionally."

Humayun Kabir, officer-in-charge of the Kurigram Sadar Police Station, told The Daily Star that no case or diary was filed about the incident, adding "We will take proper action when a case will be filed."

http://newsfrombangladesh.net/view.php?hidRecord=254929

Ershad's motorcade attacked in Kurigram: 5 hurt

supporters of Zafar Ali, an Awami League candidate attacked the vehicles of Ershad's motorcade at about 11:30am

Sunday March 29 2009 15:47:02 PM BDT

At least five people were injured and seven vehicles damaged as the motorcade of Jatiya Party Chairman HM Ershad came under attack at Kathalbari Bazar in the Kurigram town today (Sunday).(The Daily Star)

Supporters of Zafar Ali, an Awami League candidate in the by-election to the parliament, stopped the motorcade of Ershad and asked him not to go to Kurigram. They also chanted anti-Ershad slogans.

As the Zatiay Party chief was going to Kurgram defying the bar, the supporters of Zafar attacked the vehicles of Ershad's motorcade at about 11:30am, injuring five people and damaging seven vehicles.

One of the injured was identified as Col (retd) Kader, Member of Parliament from Gaibandha-1, reports our Kurigramm correspondent.

Talking to reporters at Kurigram Circuit House, Ersahd said, "Awami League leaders and activists are responsible for this unexpected incident. If the administration is unable to give me proper security, we will withdraw from the coming by-election."

"I have already informed the prime minister's press secretary about the incident," the Jatiya Party chief said.

When contacted, Zafar Ali told The Daily Star, "It was pre-planned by the Jatiya Party itself for making an opportunity to blame the Awami League. They have done this intentionally."

Humayun Kabir, officer-in-charge of the Kurigram Sadar Police Station, told The Daily Star that no case or diary was filed about the incident, adding "We will take proper action when a case will be filed."

http://newsfrombangladesh.net/view.php?hidRecord=254929

....a short-lived honeymoon

....a short-lived honeymoon

You got that rite. I don't feel sorry for Ershad or his party. They weaken the Bangladeshi nationalist power. He is a sold out. They deserve it and worst to come.:smokin:

Almost all of the Shibir leaders have borne after 71, so their trials would bother even the 'Foolish of the fools' but have you noticed the killings of Shibir leaders throughout the country (Nomani is the latest in Rajshahi Univv)? Those are systematic, planned and organized assassinations to root out the 'Reviving efforts' of Islamic systems IMO (Judiciary, Legislator, Banking, Financial etc). And my research proves that it is the hidden objective of the INDO-ZION led so-called WOT. The heads of the JI are only surviving people that can carry on struggle of ‘Islamic state hood’ since there is qualitative and intellectual vacuum in BNP or other Islamic party's leaderships. And by liquidating them, IND will establish its dominance over us for a long time. Also it makes me laugh when you say that they will be tried for intellectual murders since they are ones that have been asking for judicial inquiry about it. So, now I ask you again, why don't you want to take the challenge on trying them in a third and neutral country? Let's extend it by putting 'my head' as a prize if you find them guilty, will you do the same if you can't? Are you ready to accept the challenge?

And by liquidating them IND will establish its dominence over us for long time. Also it makes me laugh when you say that they will be tried for intellectual murders since they are ones that have been asking for judicial inquiry about it. So, now I ask you again why don't you want them to take the challenge on trying them in a third and neutral country? Let's extend it by putting 'my head' as a prize if you find them guilty, will you do the same? Are you ready to accept the challenge?

You suppose to try people on the land where the crime took place. Thats how it should be. But if you had any other specific suggestion you should share your thoughts. In which country you think the trial should be held? Will that country be willing to take the responsibility of executing this mammoth task?
Regarding killing of intellectuals, yes somebody did kill them. Who were those killers? Any thoughts?

I think we should not give too much credit to the Jamaat-i-Islami. They are a pathetic and useless party that convinced Begum Zia to join in a rigged poll. I talked to Barrister Abdur Razzak and Shah Abdul Hannan in early 2008 saying that the AL would win the elections in December and also get a two-thirds majority. They said a democratically elected government is better than military rule. If the AL is crushing the Jamaat now then they have only themselves to blame. They were warned what would happen if they participated in elections and what would happen if the AL won. My predictions have come true. I gave a similar message to the BNP but they went ahead with the elections listening to Khandaker Musharraf Hossain and Shimul Biswas and a few of the young barristers in the party looking for seats.

Neither the Jamaat or BNP can act as an effective force against the AL and I do not see anyone in the army taking on a leadership role. A new political formation coming from the people is the only option to counter the AL now.

I think we should not give too much credit to the Jamaat-i-Islami. They are a pathetic and useless party that convinced Begum Zia to join in a rigged poll. I talked to Barrister Abdur Razzak and Shah Abdul Hannan in early 2008 saying that the AL would win the elections in December and also get a two-thirds majority. They said a democratically elected government is better than military rule. If the AL is crushing the Jamaat now then they have only themselves to blame. They were warned what would happen if they participated in elections and what would happen if the AL won. My predictions have come true. I gave a similar message to the BNP but they went ahead with the elections listening to Khandaker Musharraf Hossain and Shimul Biswas and a few of the young barristers in the party looking for seats.

Neither the Jamaat or BNP can act as an effective force against the AL and I do not see anyone in the army taking on a leadership role. A new political formation coming from the people is the only option to counter the AL now.

Mannan Bhuiyan and Z A Khan and other aggrieved reformists from BNP are floating a new party.Probably they will try to bring other nationalists forces together,which will be good in a sense that now we will be having more nationalist parties in terms of number.But the question is how effective they will be?

It was definatly an ignorant and miscalculated moved by Jamaat to convinced Begum Zia to participate dec election. Did they not know reality of BD in dec or they decided to be blind and deaf? Were they not be aware of the presence of strong anti Islamic propogonda media backed by Indo-zion Awami? It was suicidal moved by Jamaat. I thought Jamaat was run by some intelligent leaders yet they proved me dead wrong. If I am not wrong than I believe Begum Zia wanted the election to be held around feb or march so therefor she could have enough time to reorganized BNP. She was rite. It was no brainier.

So let Jamaat suffer because they made Awami the biggest winner in last election.

Only hope here is that if BNP can bring back Tariq Zia than there might be a chance for BNP to reemerge with new Image after all there are strong anti awami crowd still roaming around and they need a voice to be heard.

Last edited:
You got that rite. I don't feel sorry for Ershad or his party. They weaken the Bangladeshi nationalist power. He is a sold out. They deserve it and worst to come.:smokin:
His recent outburst against ALers didn't do any favor to BNP/JI either. One of the dailies once disseminated that even his kitchen stuff were bought by RAW's money. In another analysis, Mahmudur Rahman showed that if he didn't split nationalist's votes then AL would trail BNP by around 25-30% in macro level. He has definitely been instrumental in implementing Indian's dubious plan in BD.

You suppose to try people on the land where the crime took place. Thats how it should be. But if you had any other specific suggestion you should share your thoughts. In which country you think the trial should be held? Will that country be willing to take the responsibility of executing this mammoth task?
Regarding killing of intellectuals, yes somebody did kill them. Who were those killers? Any thoughts?
Yes, you do but when country has been taken in Alavi, Chalavi and Hasina's grip then justice turns out to be mockery, especially for the political opponents.

There are many countries that could be pursued. Venezuella, Srilanka, SWE etc are some.

I can't tell you for sure but Jamaaties body language and logic indicate that they hadn't done it. It could be W Pakistani's or very well be their opponent's acts too.

Yes, you do but when country has been taken in Alavi, Chalavi and Hasina's grip then justice turns out to be mockery, especially for the political opponents.

There are many countries that could be pursued. Venezuella, Srilanka, SWE etc are some.

I can't tell you for sure but Jamaaties body language and logic indicate that they hadn't done it. It could be W Pakistani's or very well be their opponent's acts too.

Well its too early to talk about these. We need to see the way it goes and the evidence presented. It wouldnt be a problem if the other parties when they were in power had taken the initiatives and finish this job. As they did not do it and the people wants it now, the party whoever in power should take that forward. Regarding transparency, yes its a legitimate concern from your side but you have to wait for the events to unfold.
I dont want any innocent person should be held accountable for the crime done by others.

Mannan Bhuiyan and Z A Khan and other aggrieved reformists from BNP are floating a new party.Probably they will try to bring other nationalists forces together,which will be good in a sense that now we will be having more nationalist parties in terms of number.But the question is how effective they will be?

thats a great news. I cant wait to see this happens.
Reformist in AL also kept their pressure on. Good going

Taking part in the election was a good decission as BNP survived as a party and they can look forward to the next election. Jamaat is a good party except they had some war criminals which needs to be cleaned up. Jamaat will emerge as a better party after the trial is over.

Jamaat is a good party except they had some war criminals which needs to be cleaned up. Jamaat will emerge as a better party after the trial is over.

I agree with you on this.Jaamat could have been a good party,if there were no war criminals in it.Otherwise as far as ideology is concerned,I got no problems with it.Its just few black sheep that's the problem.They need a serious shake up of their top brass to gain popularity among people.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom