What's new

New Zealand denies offer to tour Pakistan

Areesh

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
New Zealand Cricket chief executive Justin Vaughan has refuted suggestions the New Zealand team will play matches in Pakistan to raise funds for flood victims. Vaughan said on Monday a reported statement from a Pakistan Cricket Board official that New Zealand had made such an offer was mistaken.

PCB spokesman Nadeem Sarwar told the Associated Press on Sunday his organization had received an email from New Zealand Cricket offering to play at least in a one-off benefit match in Pakistan.

Vaughan confirmed New Zealand had contacted the PCB to suggest cricket could play a part in fundraising for flood victims, but said it remained opposed to touring Pakistan for security reasons.

New Zealand denies offer to tour Pakistan

So much for the offer. :rolleyes::frown:

New Zealand rule out Pakistan trip
AFP, Aug 23, 2010

WELLINGTON: New Zealand cricket chiefs on Monday backed the idea of fundraising matches for flood-ravaged Pakistan but ruled out the prospect of the Black Caps travelling there.

Reports from Pakistan indicated New Zealand had offered to play there to raise funds for flood victims, but New Zealand Cricket chief executive Justin Vaughan said his message to the Pakistan Cricket Board had been misconstrued.

"At no point did we offer that the Black Caps would be touring as they certainly won't be playing there this year," Vaughan said.

"But it would be nice to think that in a cricket-loving country such as Pakistan that cricket could play a part in alleviating some of the suffering that is going on there."

International cricket came to an abrupt end in Pakistan in March last year after a terror attack on the touring Sri Lankan team in Lahore.

The near month-long floods in Pakistan have killed 1,500 people and affected up to 20 million nationwide in the country's worst natural disaster.

But with foreign cricket teams not prepared to play in the country because of security concerns, Vaughan said it was up to the Pakistan Cricket Board to organise fundraisers outside the country.

New Zealand Cricket Players' Association manager Heath Mills backed the idea of cricket to raise money, but added: "But at this point in time there is no way anyone can consider putting a cricket team into Pakistan to play."

He added that he did not envisage the Black Caps going to Pakistan "in the short term".

Yep, too good to be true. Can't blame them but again shows the incompetence of Ijaz Butt who translated a flood relief match into a home game.

its very sad dat a nation which carries so much cricket legacy has reached dis stage
hope 4 d best frndz

Why Dubai or any other place. If they have offered to play in Pakistan just go for it and avail it. We shouldn't proof our self as dumbas*.

We need to have cricket in our country and this is our best chance.

:)

now tell me who is looking more "dumbas" :lol: - just what i had predicted yesterday
was i right yesterday Mr Areesh?

Playing in Dubai is maximum what i expecting from Kiwis.

Dont worry Guys...Cricket will return back in Pakistan.

Its Cricket's loss at the end of the day if international matches are not being played in a country with so much fan following.

There was a sane suggestion by some member here (I don't remember). PCB must request BCCI for some matches in India. There will be huge revenus which can then be donated to the flood victims. :angel:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom