What's new

New Delhi to get India's first Russian Orthodox Church

That is why deep scriptural knowledge was originally only meant for people who have an inclination towards such and the rest of the stuff that you read and saw such as the epics and stories were enough to be used as moral guides for day to day life. No one is asking you to become a religious pundit unless that is what you want to become.
--------------------------------------------------------------
What do you mean what is in it for you? What is in it for you with regards to any knowledge field. Do you become a politician by discussing politics? Or a doctor by reading some notes on medicine? People read to learn and acquire knowledge.
but u wud have to agree that there has to be somekind of incentive.....why wud a young guy spend his time reading religious scriptures,,9 out of 10 times he wud prefer going out with friends....
-------------------------------------------
See this Indian mothers, especially Dharmic mothers and fathers too sense of sacrifice was what kept the Indian family stable through the worst deprivation the world has ever seen. It is their single minded devotion to their family and dharma which made them educate their kids and invest in their kids to the exclusion of everything else which has made the Indians one of the most educated and enterprising community in the whole world.
----------------------------------------------
Now you can of course shun Dharma and choose to do without it, party, drink, make merry, have a broken house, 5-6 marriages and bankruptcies and let your kids turn out to be losers and drug addicts by way of becoming cool, but that is your call.
whether u like it or not,ppl r drinking,smoking,partying,,that's the way its gonna be:agree:
n nobody wants to have a financial crisis or a divorce or let there children go astray...:agree:
n u r wrong in saying that ppl r shunning dharma,,how many atheist do u see in India??
religion is becoming less relevant,that's all(not that i approve it,but that's the way it is)

im on mobile,,,cudnt quote separately,,,have edited ur post

You know about 'Eastern Christians'....

Can you tell me what makes Oriental Orthodoxy and Eastern Orthodoxy different and I also heard of Eastern Syro-Malabarese that that comes under Catholic Church.

but u wud have to agree that there has to be somekind of incentive.....why wud a young guy spend his time reading religious scriptures,,9 out of 10 times he wud prefer going out with friends....

Knowledge itself is its own reward.

whether u like it or not,ppl r drinking,smoking,partying,,that's the way its gonna be
n nobody wants to have a financial crisis or a divorce or let there children go astray...
n u r wrong in saying that ppl r shunning dharma,,how many atheist do u see in India??
religion is becoming less relevant,that's all(not that i approve it,but that's the way it is)

Had not someone posted a link about drinking pattern in the world and India did not figure in any of those charts. So take it from me, a very very small percentage of Indians are into that kind of recreation..

Likewise very few atheists. No Dharma is not becoming less relevant. Maybe you need to leave the Northeastern part of India and do some traveling in the rest of the country to know what the scene is at religious places.

I was certainly not talking about Eastern Orthodox Church. By Christians in East I meant Christians in Asia. The kind of nuts that I see in my day to day life.

Eastern Church refers to Orthodox Church which is further has two parts Oriental Orthodox(in Asia and North Africa) and Eastern Orthodox(in Eastern Europe).

Eastern Church refers to Orthodox Church which is further has two parts Oriental Orthodox(in Asia and North Africa) and Eastern Orthodox(in Eastern Europe).

Yeah I know. I was talking about the behavior by Christians in India as opposed to Christians in the West. Until about 2 decades ago, you would not see them accepting anything good about India or Indians. That changed after cable TV came in and they started seeing how Christians in the West actually lived and also all their illusions about their superiority by association with West broke.

Can you tell me what makes Oriental Orthodoxy and Eastern Orthodoxy different and I also heard of Eastern Syro-Malabarese that that comes under Catholic Church.

These churches Oriental Orthodoxy,Eastern Orthodoxy,Church of East are known as 'Eastern Christianity'.There is difference in liturgy,languages used (Greek,Syriac),having their own Patriarchs (throne of St.Peter ).Also these are much more original eastern form of Christianity than Roman Catholics.

Yes Syro Malabar is one of Kerala's syrian churches & Eastern Churches ,and it comes under catholic church,from 16 th century

Yeah I know. I was talking about the behavior by Christians in India as opposed to Christians in the West. Until about 2 decades ago, you would not see them accepting anything good about India or Indians.

Who told you this?

It is widely different. They do not even celebrate Christmas on Dec 25th. Orthodox Church celebrates Christmas on January 7th. Then there are Jehovah's Witness. They do not believe in Christmas or any of the other Christian events at all. There are absolutely no celebrations if you are a Jehovah's Witness.

According to an American friend of mine he gets angry when Indians tell him they celebrate Christmas too. I asked him why it was so, because we do pray to Jesus and there are more Indians wishing me Merry Christmas on Christmas than people wishing me Happy Diwali in office ever. So he asked do you get a tree on Christmas. I said no. Ahh there without a tree there is no Christmas. So now for an American Christmas means the Christmas tree at home.

Who told you this?

Personal experience growing up around Christians all my life.

Yeah I know. I was talking about the behavior by Christians in India as opposed to Christians in the West. Until about 2 decades ago, you would not see them accepting anything good about India or Indians. That changed after cable TV came in and they started seeing how Christians in the West actually lived and also all their illusions about their superiority by association with West broke.

I don't agree with you, I have lived among Christians. Infact, the current generation of Christians of India have even started discontinuing giving European names to their kids. Except the Goan Catholics, Christians in India are extremely desi by their culture.

I don't agree with you, I have lived among Christians. Infact, the current generation of Christians of India have even started discontinuing giving European names to their kids. Except the Goan Catholics, Christians in India are extremely desi by their culture.

Yeah it is the current generation, not the one before which is what I said 2 decades ago they had huge contempt for India and Indian culture. The rest of the current generation give Indian names because it is encouraged by the church. It helps the converts claim benefits as SCs. Also helps in conversion.

Goan Catholics still give only Western names.

The rest of the current generation give Indian names because it is encouraged by the church. It helps the converts claim benefits as SCs. Also helps in conversion.

Goan Catholics still give only Western names.

Is that a joke.Dalit christians have no reservation.

Is that a joke.Dalit christians have no reservation.

Go and see in AP. They convert but do not register as Christians. Still retain their names and castes and in all census call themselves Hindus.

@Indrani
"knowledge itself is its own reward"
agreed,,,,but it seems that is not inspiration enough,,do u seriously think the new generation will buy that n start studying religious texts....our Society is becoming more n more materialistic..

i too agree that ,we have a tiny percentage of atheist..
but
just visiting a temple doesn't make one religious....

well about drinking,,,u shud check the lines infront of wineshops n thekas:p:
we may be behind a lot of other countries,,,but ppl do drink,,just check,how many litres of whiskey consumed ..:agree:
i travel quite alot ,,u'll have to take my word for it,,,rt now on my way to Delhi:agree:
---------
hermi ,,i am just asking how do u propose we make the common man more aware of dharma...

Yeah it is the current generation, not the one before which is what I said 2 decades ago they had huge contempt for India and Indian culture. .

I am older than 2 decades and I never saw the things you claimed. You will know them they are Christians if only they tell you themselves.

Back
Top Bottom