What's new

New Delhi sees Pakistan as a strategic partner

well it sounds gud but is difficult to happen before we solve all our disputes espacially kashmir. everytime there will be an incident lik smjhota or mumbai and we will be back to square one. kashmir is the drivin force behind all the militancy bw pak and india

Contratery to believe that Kashmir is the only force for anamosity between the two countries and also militancy is completly false. Any action India takes, Pakistan will remain antagonist towards India. A perfect case in point is bettering relations with afganistan. I for one believe in my life time that the two countries will never live in peace.

Our politicians and business man should focus less on building the bridge between the two countries and focus more on internal growth and security.

^^ We keep going in circles, we've been doing it for 60 years now...its so frustrating.

Its like the chicken and the egg, how can we come to any mutually beneficial agreement if there is no peace or trust? How can there be peace without a mutually beneficial agreement?

See, no country is going to simply succumb to some separatist movement, violence will lead no where so that needs to be crushed on both sides. Once people stop dying and both sides are convinced that there is simply no point in attacking the other guy, we will be far more likely to come to a conclusion.

A strategic partnership is a real possibility, what needs to happen first though is all these random rebel groups need to destroyed, that in itself requires co-operation and trust, after both sides know that war is no longer necessary, we can begin investing in our economies, maybe even work on that pipeline from Iran.

It took us six decades to get to where we are today, obviously, the hostilities will not end in one day but if we don't try we will never get anywhere and we will remain as the Africa of Asia, we have to try and everyone here should believe in peace as not an option but the only way. In time I'm sure we can start behaving the way Americans and Canadians do towards one another. When that happens, we can solve all our disputes with ease.

We've tried the other approach for so long, how about a new perspective for once?

You know what would really help internal security? The lack of an external threat. We have no option but to find a way to work together. if only both countries agree to forget about Kashmir for a decade or so. If that doesn't work then we can always go back to the way things are right? The way our governments whip up war hysteria, I'm sure they could come up with something about friendship too..

China is safely growing, without the threat of bombs in shopping malls or students being abducted, South Asians are the ones who are killing each other, look at where they are today and look at where South Asia is, now even they have more money than the entire sub-continent, If we can solve our disputes that in itself would go a long way in curbing the internal strife rampant in our society...we could become the Europe of Asia.

^^ We keep going in circles, we've been doing it for 60 years now...its so frustrating.

Its like the chicken and the egg, how can we come to any mutually beneficial agreement if there is no peace or trust? How can there be peace without a mutually beneficial agreement?

See, no country is going to simply succumb to some separatist movement, violence will lead no where so that needs to be crushed on both sides. Once people stop dying and both sides are convinced that there is simply no point in attacking the other guy, we will be far more likely to come to a conclusion.

A strategic partnership is a real possibility, what needs to happen first though is all these random rebel groups need to destroyed, that in itself requires co-operation and trust, after both sides know that war is no longer necessary, we can begin investing in our economies, maybe even work on that pipeline from Iran.

It took us six decades to get to where we are today, obviously, the hostilities will not end in one day but if we don't try we will never get anywhere and we will remain as the Africa of Asia, we have to try and everyone here should believe in peace as not an option but the only way. In time I'm sure we can start behaving the way Americans and Canadians do towards one another. When that happens, we can solve all our disputes with ease.

We've tried the other approach for so long, how about a new perspective for once?

And what are the advantages that you will get from this!!! The trade does not stop not matter we are friendly or not, so put that aside. Perfect example of trade is India and China.

And this big question of Strategic partnership. The problem is these words are used, but can anyone give a detail of how this will be a strategic partnership, and it's benefit to India. There is none beside peace in the region.

And for the peace in region lies solely on Pakistan. They must change there populace perception of the kashmir issue, fight the terrorist that are plaguing the region, dismantle any terrorist camps that are in there soil, etc....., the list is long for India. If you start seeing these changes, then and only then India should streach there hands towards a friendship.

But what makes you think these changes will ever come about if India never extends its hand in friendship. What benefits will peace bring about you say? I can go on and on...

See, I understand what you are saying and the perception of the Kashmir issue within Pakistan and believe me I agree, but none of this will happen if both our countries keep staring each other down, we need to work together, wouldn't it be awesome to have a peaceful and friendly neighborhood, if ordinary people like us give up on the idea of peace it will never come about, I wish I knew what we need to do to make it happen but I don't, so we need to figure it out together, don't give up on the idea just as yet.

I've heard every argument about why we should forget about making peace and find a way to counter Pakistani moves, but how far do you think India is going to get when it has a mortal enemy on its doorstep? Fellow Pakistanis, how far will Pakistan get with an enemy at the doorstep (2 enemies now to be exact) If we think like this soon Africa will look like a more desirable destination. If sometime in 2045 I read about Indian students facing racial attacks in Nigeria, I'm going to be very upset.

oh and trade with China is a different story, the Chinese have much better foresight, they've put off the issue for later and are busy focusing on developing into a Super power. Who knows, they might bring it up later when their defense budget is hovering around $200 billion.

We hardly trade with Pakistan, in spite of speaking the same language, having a more or less similar culture, I mean the opportunities are endless, have we been able to capitalize on them yet?

well we cant keep on hating each other...we are all after all educated and sane people as this forum suggests...peace will come...maybe not in our lifetime...
the last time i thought we were close to it...was when vajpayee travelled to pakistan in the peace bus...and recited poetry with nawaz sharif....it was a beautiful sight...!
we all know what followed...but someday...a good initiative would be welcomed and reciprocated...

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom