What's new

New Delhi India shows off military might at Republic Day parade

kurup

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
India's 64th Republic Day celebrations began Saturday with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh paying homage to the unknown soldier at the India Gate war memorial in the heart of the capital.

With the three service chiefs in attendance, Manmohan Singh was greeted on arrival at the World War I monument by defence minister AK Antony.

As the prime minister laid a wreath at the Amar Jawan Jyoti eternal flame, an honour guard reversed arms and the buglers sounded the Last Post, after which two minutes silence was observed.

The Rouse was sounded and Manmohan Singh then signed the Visitor's Book before heading back to the saluting base on Rajpath to welcome Bhutan King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuk, chief guest at the Republic Day Parade, and other VIPs.

A kaleidoscopic view of the country's rich cultural heritage and military prowess were on display at the 64th Republic Day parade today on the 8km stretch from Rajpath to Red Fort.

An eager audience on both sides of the imposing Rajpath, the country's ceremonial boulevard facing the seat of power Raisina Hills, braved the winter chill and cheered loudly as the parade went past them portraying the rich and diverse culture of the country.

The icing on the cake was the 5,500-5,800 km ballistic Agni-V missile mounted on a road mobile launcher which was paraded by the Defence Research & Development Organisation as the crowd lapped it up with loud cheer.

General Officer Commanding (Delhi) Lt General Subroto Mitra led the synchronised military and police contingents as they marched to the cheerful tunes of bands through the 2-km Rajpath where President Pranab Mukherjee, also the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, took the salute for the first time after assuming office in July last year.

The impressive march-past was watched by chief guest, Bhutan king Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck, vice president Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, defence minister AK Antony, UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi and top political and military brass.

Police and other para-military forces turned Delhi into a a virtual fortress for the Republic Day celebrations as helicopters scanned from air, snipers kept a hawk-eye vigil from rooftops and armed personnel at every nook and corner provided a ground-to-air security apparatus.

India shows off military might at Republic Day parade - Hindustan Times

8409803349_43002faa45_k.jpg

AGNI 5

wowo, 1960s style missile fitted on a 1950s style transporter.

Missiles are not like hairstyles, that they go out of fashion every decade or so. 50's look, 60's look etc are talked about in fashion, not in missile technology.

If you actually read anything about agni 5, you would know that it is state of the art, and one of the most sophisticated missiles in the world in its range class. Whether it is the navigation system, or the fuel, or the composite body - none of these technologies existed in the 60s, and some of these still don't exist in most missiles today. Name one missile in your country's arsenal that used a composite casing with a similar percentage of composites. If you don't know anything about the topic, the least you can do is to not troll. Or, if you are trying to be constructive, then explain why it is 60's tech.

Can any one please post the video of SU30 MKI maneuver in the end of event?

Well the second biggest parade that happens in the country after delhi is kolkata...and this year the weapons showed here were better than the 'same things year after year" show in delhi.... the best ones that i've seen
1) EW Sujav( that DRDO till recently declared was "under development")
2) EW Diya Drishti (for navy)
3) CLGM anti-tank missile mounted on light vehicles
4) Caspier mine-protection vehicles
5) Models of the brahmaputra class frigates
6) Rocket pods of different calibers for different fighters like mig-21,mirage 2000,etc

2:18:00- sir,

Thanks brother but I can't download so long video, I need only the last two flypast of Sukhois especially the last one which sent my heartbeat to great speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks brother but I can't download so long video, I need only the last two flypast of Sukhois especially the last one which sent my heartbeat to great speed.

Ah okay bro- if you can't find what you're looking for, let me know. I am currently downloading the entire vid so if you can't find just the Sukhoi maneuver I'll happily edit the 2 hour vid down and upload it on my YT channel. Like I say- let me know.

Thanks for understanding brother.:smitten: And yeah I am looking for only Sukhoi maneuver.:) You know how ladies dictate when it comes to watch any particular TV material.:hitwall: My mother & bhabhi never allow me to watch anything of my own choice.:cry: Fortunately my father came from long distance after job so remote came in my hand in last.:partay:

Ah okay bro- if you can't find what you're looking for, let me know. I am currently downloading the entire vid so if you can't find just the Sukhoi maneuver I'll happily edit the 2 hour vid down and upload it on my YT channel. Like I say- let me know.

What is your channel name. I would be interested to subscribe.

What is your channel name. I would be interested to subscribe.
abingdonboy!

abingdonboy - YouTube

it is also in my signature!

Thanks for understanding brother.:smitten: And yeah I am looking for only Sukhoi maneuver.:) You know how ladies dictate when it comes to watch any particular TV material.:hitwall: My mother & bhabhi never allow me to watch anything of my own choice.:cry: Fortunately my father came from long distance after job so remote came in my hand in last.:partay:
@RISING SUN just for you:

MKIs at 5.05!

Last edited by a moderator:
loll that was a great show of foreign imported weapons. This year on Chinese space day they will show off Y-20, WZ-10, their space capsules and their complete line of Indegineous fighters. Indian govt on the other hand will give another deadline to LCA, Arjun MK2, AWACS and bla bla and bla. Lol 65 yra later all we can show to Indians is how much can we import from Russia and USA.

loll that was a great show of foreign imported weapons. This year on Chinese space day they will show off Y-20, WZ-10, their space capsules and their complete line of Indegineous fighters. Indian govt on the other hand will give another deadline to LCA, Arjun MK2, AWACS and bla bla and bla. Lol 65 yra later all we can show to Indians is how much can we import from Russia and USA.
The indigenious content of this year's R-Day parade was actually pretty high.

You should be flattered that India is not facing embargo, china situation is different we just don't have choice.

Back
Top Bottom