What's new

New carrier-capable AEW: developments, news, progress

Charles de Gaulle, is nuclear powered, and CATOBAR, albeit smaller in size.

A reasonable case can be made about its superiority. Though the other side can also make a case.

But frankly, I have NEVER seen it being compared to CV-16 in mainstream US or western sources.
Yes, nuclear powered? Despite smaller size and tonnage. This carrier can only goes 27knots with a nuclear powered. I dont see what much advantage nuclear offer for Charles compare to Liaoning running on a coventional power.

Your last statement is true, Catapult is a bonus for Charles but we yet to see the full potential of STOBAR. Only time will tell.

Yes, nuclear powered? Despite smaller size and tonnage. This carrier can only goes 27knots with a nuclear powered. I dont see what much advantage nuclear offer for Charles compare to Liaoning running on a coventional power.

Your last statement is true, Catapult is a bonus for Charles but we yet to see the full potential of STOBAR. Only time will tell.

With nuclear power, it's not only about speed. It's about endurance as well.

Basically a nuclear carrier has no need of any (energy/crude) replenishments.

As for CATOBAR, that makes it totally one generation ahead of any STOBAR carrier. Catapults let you lift weight.

Also, what one must also understand is that Charles de Gaulle can operate a variety of fixed wing aircraft, unlike Liaoning which has got only J 15.

With nuclear power, it's not only about speed. It's about endurance as well.

Basically a nuclear carrier has no need of any (energy/crude) replenishments.

As for CATOBAR, that makes it totally one generation ahead of any STOBAR carrier. Catapults let you lift weight.

Also, what one must also understand is that Charles de Gaulle can operate a variety of fixed wing aircraft, unlike Liaoning which has got only J 15.

Nuclear powered offer unlimited range but does it offer unlimited provisional or ammunition for fighter jets? End of the day,after 45-60 days. The mighty nuclear carrier still need to go thru the highly vulnerable and dangerous replenishment same as conventional powered carrier for food and ammunition.

Whatever Liaoning lacks compare to Charles, it compensate by bigger flight deck which translate to longer runaway for better take off.

J-15 has evolved not just a fighter bomber but EW and buddy to buddy refuel jet.

http://chinese-military-aviation.blogspot.sg/p/fighters-ii.html

Checkout huitong website on J-15.

Even more to assume that this bird could take-off the Liaoning without a catapult and also be already be operational is simply a wet-dream
As such it has nothing to do with downplaying again Chinese growing capabilities but plain and simple to be rational.

But again I see it as a clear indication that there's some interesting progress behind ... and that a fixed wing AEW not that far away.
I am not an expert in aircraft carrier operations but maybe it doesn't need a catapult to take off.

I am not an expert in aircraft carrier operations but maybe it doesn't need a catapult to take off.

Liaoning might be shorter runaway than Forrestal but with a ski bow, it can increase the lifting force comparable to a longer straight runaway. And here we have a C-130 much heavier plane taking off.

Last edited:
Liaoning might be shorter runaway than Forrestal but with a ski bow, it can increase the lifting force comparable to a longer straight runaway. And here we have a C-130 much heavier plane taking off.

But that still does not explain or answers my question why You think it is likely that such a type is already operational at the Liaoning:

IMO Your comparison is irrelevant and plain off; the PLAN has released so many images from the latest cruise and none has ever shown such a bird. Consequently to think that they hide an already operational carrier-borne AEW that must have flown years ago (but never spotted), that must have been tested for years (and also never spotted), that must be manufactured and build in at least a few numbers (and strangely again never caught by photo during all these years too), flown secretly by night onto the carrier from which it never can take-off since the CV-16 lacks a catapult and always hidden from all images taken is nearly as much off as to think the J-20 already uses a +210 kN WS-15 operationally and featuring a secret TVC-nozzle.

Do You really think that this possible or even likely ??? .... or isn't it more likely to stick to the facts that there is simply a project going on and in a few years it will happen ??

Deino

But that still does not explain or answers my question why You think it is likely that such a type is already operational at the Liaoning:

IMO Your comparison is irrelevant and plain off; the PLAN has released so many images from the latest cruise and none has ever shown such a bird. Consequently to think that they hide an already operational carrier-borne AEW that must have flown years ago (but never spotted), that must have been tested for years (and also never spotted), that must be manufactured and build in at least a few numbers (and strangely again never caught by photo during all these years too), flown secretly by night onto the carrier from which it never can take-off since the CV-16 lacks a catapult and always hidden from all images taken is nearly as much off as to think the J-20 already uses a +210 kN WS-15 operationally and featuring a secret TVC-nozzle.

Do You really think that this possible or even likely ??? .... or isn't it more likely to stick to the facts that there is simply a project going on and in a few years it will happen ??

Deino
But at least the video proves a E2-C AWACS need not a catapult to take off from a carrier. Thd possibility is there. Ok, I agree with you. It may not happen. But the point is, it's possible with CV-16 Liaoning.

But at least the video proves a E2-C AWACS need not a catapult to take off from a carrier. Thd possibility is there. Ok, I agree with you. It may not happen. But the point is, it's possible with CV-16 Liaoning.

Possible - like the demo-C-130-landing maybe, but would that be operationally reasonable ?? IMO not.

As such I take it as a big proof that such a bird is not only in the making but also soon to be unveiled ... but right now the CV-16 has to rely on the Z-18J.

From the same post in the J-20-thread, which shows both J-XX contenders, the new carrier AEW was also shown already !!

But what are the others esp. the one in the right corner ??

China Aerospace Science and Technology-expo in 2000 - concepts.jpg

Looks like quite a few versions of AEW&C platforms are in the pipeline. :-)

Back
Top Bottom