What's new

Naya KPK | News & Updates on the development in KPK.

@Leader, I want to give several other suggestions but I read in the thread that some mining investment is coming towards KPK. I made some comments about writing a good contract with mining companies with reference to Afghanistan but it is also relevant to Pakistan. So the following post and other posts on this thread might be helpful.

Heavy Indian Investment in Afghanistan.

I will follow with suggestions on agriculture in a new post.

@Leader, Before suggestions related to agriculture, I have some ideas about food security. Since KPK imports most of its food needs from other provinces, and we are aware that good timing really matters when you buy different agricultural items. When a crop of any agricultural commodity hits the market, its price is close to the seasonal low and sometimes price of various agricultural items truly crashes and plummets due to excess supply. If you have determined the food needs for your province, the peak harvest season would be the best time to make controlled buying of those commodities so it would be easier to sell them in the local KPK markets throughout the year at relatively low prices for the relatively poor population.

Some food items are perishable and they really cannot be stored in open atmosphere for long and these are the ones where some intelligent use of basic technology can help preserve them. We know a lot of popular vegetables and other food items that become extremely cheap in harvest season, and can be preserved in bulk by freezing them and can be sold at ten times the price when these food items are "out of season". In foreign countries, there are a lot of businesses related to frozen food items and vegetables and it can easily be done on a very large scale by the KPK government. We are just not used to concept of frozen vegetables and it is not in vogue in our country but I am sure that economics should easily allow it on a large scale, we just need to take possible initiative in this direction. Really the companies who do similar business have huge margins and if the government is willing to take action, a lot of these things can be sold at very cheap prices and government will still not be subsidising anything. Making an intelligent system of procurement, preservation and delivering to people can easily decrease the end cost to KPK population for most of the food items. May be KPK government should do a systematic study on such a comprehensive project and I am sure it will prove to be very viable both in terms of economics and technology.

Last edited:
@Leader, Some suggestions related to agriculture in KPK. The purpose of farming and agriculture is to make the best possible sustainable use of land. God has given KPK a very different weather and the type of land is also different from rest of the areas in our country. Due to these differences, we can grow so many different types of fruit and many unconventional agricultural commodities that can help the farmer earn many many times what is the current norm. The problem is that land holdings of people in KPK are mostly meager at best and typically the farmers are extremely poor. In most of these cases, the farmers use their land to grow conventional crops and many times live through the year depending on the food grown on their small lands. Though this helps the farmers to weather through the year without buying relatively more expensive food items from the market, this is really not the best use of their small land holdings. When deciding about the crop to grow on their land, if they had made judicious choice of fruit or other unconventional/conventional crops, they could have earned many many times more money. But again the problem is that it is impossible for those farmers who live off the food grown on their own land to break this cycle and convert to growing better choice of crops, since they would have to somehow find alternative means to support themselves through the year. And even if they had enough to survive through the year, many of them would need motivation and proper guidance towards better selection and handling of unconventional crops. I wanted to suggest that may be KPK government should make some sort of system that would encourage farmers to make the best possible use of their lands through judicious choice of conventional or unconventional crops. And if the farmers are willing to cooperate, they could be guaranteed a year's food supplies or until their crop matures, and when they would have sold the new harvest in the market, they would repay for the food support from the government. Many of our farmers are uneducated so the competent agriculture department would have to help the farmers for many years in all of the crop cycle starting from choice of crop, and including all other technical agriculture related matters. I strongly believe that if KPK farmers could make the best use of the different weather and land of the province, agriculture related income of the province could increase manifold and most of the farmers would be truly better off and, of course, pray for the new government of KPK for this agricultural uplift/revolution and greatly increased income.

@Leader, Some suggestions related to agriculture in KPK. The purpose of farming and agriculture is to make the best possible sustainable use of land. God has given KPK a very different weather and the type of land is also different from rest of the areas in our country. Due to these differences, we can grow so many different types of fruit and many unconventional agricultural commodities that can help the farmer earn many many times what is the current norm. The problem is that land holdings of people in KPK are mostly meager at best and typically the farmers are extremely poor. In most of these cases, the farmers use their land to grow conventional crops and many times live through the year depending on the food grown on their small lands. Though this helps the farmers to weather through the year without buying relatively more expensive food items from the market, this is really not the best use of their small land holdings. When deciding about the crop to grow on their land, if they had made judicious choice of fruit or other unconventional/conventional crops, they could have earned many many times more money. But again the problem is that it is impossible for those farmers who live off the food grown on their own land to break this cycle and convert to growing better choice of crops, since they would have to somehow find alternative means to support themselves through the year. And even if they had enough to survive through the year, many of them would need motivation and proper guidance towards better selection and handling of unconventional crops. I wanted to suggest that may be KPK government should make some sort of system that would encourage farmers to make the best possible use of their lands through judicious choice of conventional or unconventional crops. And if the farmers are willing to cooperate, they could be guaranteed a year's food supplies or until their crop matures, and when they would have sold the new harvest in the market, they would repay for the food support from the government. Many of our farmers are uneducated so the competent agriculture department would have to help the farmers for many years in all of the crop cycle starting from choice of crop, and including all other technical agriculture related matters. I strongly believe that if KPK farmers could make the best use of the different weather and land of the province, agriculture related income of the province could increase manifold and most of the farmers would be truly better off and, of course, pray for the new government of KPK for this agricultural uplift/revolution and greatly increased income.

Fruit gardens demand alot of investment and no less than 5 years to start return...

I believe industrial farming can uplift living standards.. but that doesnt mean exploitation of the farmers at the hand of industrialists..

also go for self-reliance on food requirement, currently KPK is only producing 11% of its food requirements... therefore, I think apart from financial assistance, these two areas can help alot in uplifting of agricultural industry.

also go for self-reliance on food requirement, currently KPK is only producing 11% of its food requirements... therefore, I think apart from financial assistance, these two areas can help alot in uplifting of agricultural industry.

I might have misunderstood you but this is not about food reliance within the province. You are part of a large country and other parts of the country produce enough that you could buy. It is like using your land in the best possible way. There are certain type of food and fruit that you can only grow in KPK because of its land and special weather and those food items are generally much costly as compared to conventional crops. You have to think of it analogous to competitive advantage of countries/regions. KPK has more competitive advantage in growing special kind of food items that can actually fetch more money in the market and KPK can use part of that money to import cheaper conventional food items. This would actually help the whole country if we understand basic economics.

Unconventional crops do not have to be fruit and even if growing fruit takes longer, you can divide the land holding into smaller parts and grow fruit in one part and unconventional crops in the remaining area so you could slowly transfer from growing one type of crop to other desired food items in phases. All of this would require intelligent guidance from the people who are trained to work with the farmers and who understand how to help the farmers manage their resources including any possibility of help from the government.

Last edited:
a
576736_375489005886344_1300261243_n.jpg
Very soon the govt of PTI in KPK gona be knocked down!!! Stay Tuned

MANSEHRA: A request has been sent to the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa home department and senior police officials, seeking their approval for setting monetary rewards on the capture of seven militants from Mansehra, claimed the DPO on Tuesday.

Speaking at a news conference, DPO Khurram Rasheed said since the government is committed to nabbing militants and criminals as well as ensuring peace in the province, the district police had suggested that the highest amount of bounty to be set on a militant should be Rs5 million. However, the DPO did not name any of the militants the police intend to catch.

“Head money has also been proposed on 30 hardened criminals who are on the run and are wanted by Mansehra police for a number of heinous crimes,” said Rasheed.

The DPO warned around 62 absconders to turn themselves in at the nearest police station by March 30 or their bank accounts would be frozen and property seized.

Talking about the government’s steps for putting a check on unlicenced arms in the district, DPO Rasheed asked citizens who own unlicensed weapons to deposit the arms with the police by March 1, otherwise, the police would initiate action them.

The DPO also warned unregistered businesses and NGOs operating in Mansehra to close down their offices by March 30 or police would seal them, while registered NGOs were asked to submit the details of their staff and activities shortly.

Rasheed also shared the movement of Afghan refugees would soon be restricted to their camps and those who are renting houses and buildings to Afghans would be dealt with severely.

Published in The Express Tribune, February 26th, 2014.

Back
Top Bottom