What's new

Nawaz Sharif approves lifting of ban on underage marriage

Is it really necessary to caption the obvious ? You know well how Mullahs and their extremist followers treat the women or want them treated across . The religious parties and the Mullahs in the Govt have just got the breathing space and they are making the best out of it , commenting and advising on what is Islamic and whatsnot - left , right and centre . Trying to change the system , see the recent statements and the attitude behind it .

I think you are getting dramatized and nothing more, there is no connection of peace talk with CII statement, beside it worse is already in our streets and still i will insist to promote education in our people.

CII statement look to me like 'better for bad and bad for betters'.

Before I comment properly, has this news actually been confirmed? I don't see any evidence from legitimate news sources that it has.

[Edit]: It seems like fake news, everywhere I check suggest that no such thing has occurred. If it's false then @mods need to such this thread down.

I think you are getting dramatized and nothing more, there is no connection of peace talk with CII statement, beside it worse is already in our streets and still i will insist to promote education in our people.

CII statement look to me like 'better for bad and bad for betters'.

Not really , it appears that there is . The law forbidding " Child marriages " isn't new by any chance and I fail to see any other reason , why the CII declared it contrary to Islam just now and the Govt made the decision and accepted those recommendations in haste .

Before I comment properly, has this news actually been confirmed? I don't see any evidence from legitimate news sources that it has.

[Edit]: It seems like fake news, everywhere I check suggest that no such thing has occurred. If it's false then @mods need to such this thread down.
Yup so far everyone is referring to Indian sources!

Yup so far everyone is referring to Indian sources!
So far, it seems that no one has reported such a thing out side of India at least (and some anti-Muslim sources too). If this actually did happen, you can bet human rights organizations and european news sources would be crying foul over this. As they are not, I don't feel the need to believe this source or give it much attention.

Howeverr Tribune seemed to have jumped in:

Nawaz Sharif accords tacit approval to CII recommendation on underage marriage
By Web Desk
Published: March 13, 2014

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has reportedly given his tacit approval for the removal of the law banning underage marriage as well as the law regarding the second marriage of a man with the permission of his first wife, India Today reported on Thursday.

The Council of Islamic Ideology (CII), the top constitutional body responsible for giving legal advice to the legislature on Islamic issues, said that Islam does not prohibit underage marriage (Nikkah), but that the consummation of marriage is allowed only when both the husband and wife reach puberty.

The decree came at the end of a two-day meeting of the Council of Islamic Ideology (CII) on March 11, 2014.

The council also suggested removal of a clause in the Child Marriages Restriction Act 1929 that prohibits a child from going against the will of his/her father and maternal grandfather, who have arranged an underage marriage for him/her.

The CII members believe that the modern-day children are comparatively more aware and mature to take a decision about their marital life, therefore the 1929 marriage laws need to be amended and the specific clause relaxed, the source said.

Nawaz Sharif accords tacit approval to CII recommendation on underage marriage – The Express Tribune

However in this piece of news he gave approval for 2nd marriage...nothing to say about underaged marriage...sounds a little twisting....Esp the fact NS is giving approval for something and CII was talking about something else!

I wonder which Idiot set Child Marriages Restriction Act 1929 According to Islam approval is necessary! Which idiots put such laws?

Howeverr Tribune seemed to have jumped in:

Nawaz Sharif accords tacit approval to CII recommendation on underage marriage
By Web Desk
Published: March 13, 2014

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has reportedly given his tacit approval for the removal of the law banning underage marriage as well as the law regarding the second marriage of a man with the permission of his first wife, India Today reported on Thursday.

The Council of Islamic Ideology (CII), the top constitutional body responsible for giving legal advice to the legislature on Islamic issues, said that Islam does not prohibit underage marriage (Nikkah), but that the consummation of marriage is allowed only when both the husband and wife reach puberty.

The decree came at the end of a two-day meeting of the Council of Islamic Ideology (CII) on March 11, 2014.

The council also suggested removal of a clause in the Child Marriages Restriction Act 1929 that prohibits a child from going against the will of his/her father and maternal grandfather, who have arranged an underage marriage for him/her.

The CII members believe that the modern-day children are comparatively more aware and mature to take a decision about their marital life, therefore the 1929 marriage laws need to be amended and the specific clause relaxed, the source said.

Nawaz Sharif accords tacit approval to CII recommendation on underage marriage – The Express Tribune

However in this piece of news he gave approval for 2nd marriage...nothing to say about underaged marriage...sounds a little twisting....Esp the fact NS is giving approval for something and CII was talking about something else!

I wonder which Idiot set Child Marriages Restriction Act 1929 According to Islam approval is necessary! Which idiots put such laws?

Again, the same source is being used. That means there is no one else reporting such a thing, as such, we can put this up as a sensationalist media piece.

Again, the same source is being used. That means there is no one else reporting such a thing, as such, we can put this up as a sensationalist media piece.
I hope it isnt true!! but yea..everyone keeps repeating the same source...

When is Sheikh Nawaz Bin Sultan Sharif seeking himself a 9 year old virgin to marry?

When is Sheikh Nawaz Bin Sultan Sharif seeking himself a 9 year old virgin to marry?
The news looks to be false, everyone keeps using the same single India source. I don't think Sharif is stupid enough to go ahead with this. He won't risk international scrutiny especially since he's working to grow Pakistani business links in the EU.

Is it really necessary to caption the obvious ? You know well how Mullahs and their extremist followers treat the women or want them treated across . The religious parties and the Mullahs in the Govt have just got the breathing space and they are making the best out of it , commenting and advising on what is Islamic and whatsnot - left , right and centre . Trying to change the system , see the recent statements and the attitude behind it .

Actually , the real jurist and interpreter of the teachings of Islam is required to make the decision in light of modern science and in the context of society and most importantly - time and era . You see ?

@hinduguy He's supposed to .

Is it time to get the " dead " patient out of the ventilator ?
let me be the devil's advocate here (or god's, depending on which side you are)
One of the USPs of religious text is they give simple to understand guidance from god to the people. If it requires reinterpretation as per time, and needs updation, god will probably do that (by sending a messenger as per islamic tradition)
If human beings can reinterpret religious text according to time, they dont need any text at all. They can just follow the prevalent social norms (according to time) or whatever they think is moral.

Re: Age - girls are humans not just baby making machines .

What about the ones who have married without putting this condition? It's unwritten agreement in Pakistan when a girl marries that husband will not go for 2nd marriage.

The scholars have the answer :)

This is the opinion of Imam Ahmed, founder of the Hanbali school and is further preferred by Ibn Taymiyyah and Ibn-Al-Qayyim. They also allowed the condition to be verbal (not necessarily written) or if it is the norm (urf) for the girl's family, i.e. if the girl's family is known to oppose having another wife next to their daughter.(Fiqh Al Sunnah, Volume 6, Page 231-232)

فَيُؤْخَذُ مِنْ هَذَا أَنَّ الْمَشْرُوطَ عُرْفًا كَالْمَشْرُوطِ لَفْظًا، وَأَنَّ عَدَمَهُ يُمَلِّكُ الْفَسْخَ لِمُشْتَرِطِهِ، فَلَوْ فُرِضَ مِنْ عَادَةِ قَوْمٍ أَنَّهُمْ لَا يُخْرِجُونَ نِسَاءَهُمْ مِنْ دِيَارِهِمْ وَلَا يُمَكِّنُونَ أَزْوَاجَهُمْ مِنْ ذَلِكَ الْبَتَّةَ وَاسْتَمَرَّتْ عَادَتُهُمْ بِذَلِكَ كَانَ كَالْمَشْرُوطِ لَفْظًا، وَهُوَ مُطَّرِدٌ عَلَى قَوَاعِدِ أَهْلِ الْمَدِينَةِ، وَقَوَاعِدِ أحمد رَحِمَهُ اللَّهُ أَنَّ الشَّرْطَ الْعُرْفِيَّ كَاللَّفْظِيِّ سَوَاءٌ، وَلِهَذَا أَوْجَبُوا الْأُجْرَةَ عَلَى مَنْ دَفَعَ ثَوْبَهُ إِلَى غَسَّالٍ أَوْ قَصَّارٍ، أَوْ عَجِينَهُ إِلَى خَبَّازٍ، أَوْ طَعَامَهُ إِلَى طَبَّاخٍ يَعْمَلُونَ بِالْأُجْرَةِ، أَوْ دَخَلَ الْحَمَّامَ أَوِ اسْتَخْدَمَ مَنْ يَغْسِلُهُ مِمَّنْ عَادَتُهُ يَغْسِلُ بِالْأُجْرَةِ وَنَحْوَ ذَلِكَ، وَلَمْ يَشْرُطْ لَهُمْ أُجْرَةَ أَنَّهُ يَلْزَمُهُ أُجْرَةُ الْمِثْلِ. وَعَلَى هَذَا، فَلَوْ فُرِضَ أَنَّ الْمَرْأَةَ مِنْ بَيْتٍ لَا يَتَزَوَّجُ الرَّجُلُ عَلَى نِسَائِهِمْ ضَرَّةً وَلَا يُمَكِّنُونَهُ مِنْ ذَلِكَ، وَعَادَتُهُمْ مُسْتَمِرَّةٌ بِذَلِكَ، كَانَ كَالْمَشْرُوطِ لَفْظًا.
وَكَذَلِكَ لَوْ كَانَتْ مِمَّنْ يَعْلَمُ أَنَّهَا لَا تُمَكِّنُ إِدْخَالَ الضَّرَّةِ عَلَيْهَا عَادَةً لِشَرَفِهَا وَحَسَبِهَا وَجَلَالَتِهَا، كَانَ تَرْكُ التَّزَوُّجِ عَلَيْهَا كَالْمَشْرُوطِ لَفْظًا سَوَاءٌ.

"And it is taken from this (i.e understood) that, that which is conditioned according to custom is like that which is conditioned according to words...........And the rules of Imam Ahmed that the customary condition is the same as the wordy condition (one which has been stipulated by words) .......And based on this if it is assumed that the woman of a house or it is assumed that a woman is from a house where the man does not marry another woman other than this woman and they have not given him the ability to do so and their habit continues in this respect, then it is like that which is stipulated as a condition. And likewise if she is one upon whom it is not possible for another woman to enter according to the rules of custom due to her high rank and high regard and her loftiness, then the leaving of the marrying over her (i.e marrying another woman) is like that which has been stipulated according to words." (Zad al Ma'ad, 5/108 Mu'assasatu al-Risalah edition)

The scholars have the answer :)

This is the opinion of Imam Ahmed, founder of the Hanbali school and is further preferred by Ibn Taymiyyah and Ibn-Al-Qayyim. They also allowed the condition to be verbal (not necessarily written) or if it is the norm (urf) for the girl's family, i.e. if the girl's family is known to oppose having another wife next to their daughter.(Fiqh Al Sunnah, Volume 6, Page 231-232)

فَيُؤْخَذُ مِنْ هَذَا أَنَّ الْمَشْرُوطَ عُرْفًا كَالْمَشْرُوطِ لَفْظًا، وَأَنَّ عَدَمَهُ يُمَلِّكُ الْفَسْخَ لِمُشْتَرِطِهِ، فَلَوْ فُرِضَ مِنْ عَادَةِ قَوْمٍ أَنَّهُمْ لَا يُخْرِجُونَ نِسَاءَهُمْ مِنْ دِيَارِهِمْ وَلَا يُمَكِّنُونَ أَزْوَاجَهُمْ مِنْ ذَلِكَ الْبَتَّةَ وَاسْتَمَرَّتْ عَادَتُهُمْ بِذَلِكَ كَانَ كَالْمَشْرُوطِ لَفْظًا، وَهُوَ مُطَّرِدٌ عَلَى قَوَاعِدِ أَهْلِ الْمَدِينَةِ، وَقَوَاعِدِ أحمد رَحِمَهُ اللَّهُ أَنَّ الشَّرْطَ الْعُرْفِيَّ كَاللَّفْظِيِّ سَوَاءٌ، وَلِهَذَا أَوْجَبُوا الْأُجْرَةَ عَلَى مَنْ دَفَعَ ثَوْبَهُ إِلَى غَسَّالٍ أَوْ قَصَّارٍ، أَوْ عَجِينَهُ إِلَى خَبَّازٍ، أَوْ طَعَامَهُ إِلَى طَبَّاخٍ يَعْمَلُونَ بِالْأُجْرَةِ، أَوْ دَخَلَ الْحَمَّامَ أَوِ اسْتَخْدَمَ مَنْ يَغْسِلُهُ مِمَّنْ عَادَتُهُ يَغْسِلُ بِالْأُجْرَةِ وَنَحْوَ ذَلِكَ، وَلَمْ يَشْرُطْ لَهُمْ أُجْرَةَ أَنَّهُ يَلْزَمُهُ أُجْرَةُ الْمِثْلِ. وَعَلَى هَذَا، فَلَوْ فُرِضَ أَنَّ الْمَرْأَةَ مِنْ بَيْتٍ لَا يَتَزَوَّجُ الرَّجُلُ عَلَى نِسَائِهِمْ ضَرَّةً وَلَا يُمَكِّنُونَهُ مِنْ ذَلِكَ، وَعَادَتُهُمْ مُسْتَمِرَّةٌ بِذَلِكَ، كَانَ كَالْمَشْرُوطِ لَفْظًا.
وَكَذَلِكَ لَوْ كَانَتْ مِمَّنْ يَعْلَمُ أَنَّهَا لَا تُمَكِّنُ إِدْخَالَ الضَّرَّةِ عَلَيْهَا عَادَةً لِشَرَفِهَا وَحَسَبِهَا وَجَلَالَتِهَا، كَانَ تَرْكُ التَّزَوُّجِ عَلَيْهَا كَالْمَشْرُوطِ لَفْظًا سَوَاءٌ.

"And it is taken from this (i.e understood) that, that which is conditioned according to custom is like that which is conditioned according to words...........And the rules of Imam Ahmed that the customary condition is the same as the wordy condition (one which has been stipulated by words) .......And based on this if it is assumed that the woman of a house or it is assumed that a woman is from a house where the man does not marry another woman other than this woman and they have not given him the ability to do so and their habit continues in this respect, then it is like that which is stipulated as a condition. And likewise if she is one upon whom it is not possible for another woman to enter according to the rules of custom due to her high rank and high regard and her loftiness, then the leaving of the marrying over her (i.e marrying another woman) is like that which has been stipulated according to words." (Zad al Ma'ad, 5/108 Mu'assasatu al-Risalah edition)

Pethatic --- Hypocrites can come up with excuses just to fulfill their lust, let me know what your Imam says about breaching trust and breaking agreements - is it also as per "so called" Sunnah & teachings?

Pethatic --- Hypocrites can come up with excuses just to fulfill their lust, let me know what your Imam says about breaching trust and breaking agreements - is it also as per "so called" Sunnah & teachings?

Its haram.

and who are you calling pathetic? Btw this was all hanbali fiqh whereas pakistan follows hanafi fiqh

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom