Navy pilot becomes first Indian to circumnavigate the earth in a sailboat

Srinivas

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Navy pilot becomes first Indian to circumnavigate the earth in a sailboat

DSC08485_JPG_1180979f.jpg

MUMBAI: Lt Cdr Abhilash Tomy of the Indian Navy became the first Indian to circumnavigate the earth in a sailboat on Saturday.

Tomy had started from Mumbai on November 1, 2012 in the INSV Mhadei to undertake a voyage that less than 80 people worldwide have completed successfully. By comparison, around 500 people have been to space and around 5,000 have scaled Mt Everest.

On Saturday the maritime reconnaissance pilot returned to the Gateway of India, Mumbai, where he was accorded a rousing welcome by president Pranab

Mukherjee, who by default is also the supreme commander of the armed forces. Maharashtra governor K Sankaranarayanan, navy chief Admiral D K Joshi and flag officer commanding-in-chief of the Western Naval Command, vice admiral Shekhar Sinha, were present.

Tomy said he had fulfilled a dream he held for 14 years and had been preparing for since four years. His boat INSV Mhadei was especially built for the Indian Navy by Ratnakar Dandekar along the banks of the Mandovi. It was also named after that river.

Tomy completed his voyage spanning 22,000 nautical miles across the Indian, Southern, Pacific and Atlantic Oceans using merely wind-powered sails. Tomy did not touch any port or seek outside assistance. His route took him south of Australia, South America and Africa thus rounding the three Great Capes -- Cape Leeuwin in Australia, Cape Horn in South America and the Cape of Good Hope in Africa.

He crossed the International Date Line on December 31 and ushered in the new year by resetting his calendar. On January 26 this year he unfurled the Indian flag off Cape Horn. During these months, the sailor weathered temperatures ranging from 4 degrees to 40 degree Celsius, battled wind velocity of upto 125 kmph and waves that rose 10 m high.

Speaking at Saturday's welcome President Mukherjee commended his extreme test of endurance''. He remarked how (travelling) thousands of kms away from the nearest shore, with very little chance of help coming by if something should go wrong, requires courage, determination and grit.'' The sea cadet corps presented a horn pipe dance and the NauVeers of the Western Naval Command showed an impressive continuity drill on the occasion.

Navy pilot becomes first Indian to circumnavigate the earth in a sailboat - The Times of India

I always thought people crossing Pacific ocean on a sailboat is amazing. Unlike the Atlantic ocean or Indian Ocean, the Pacific ocean is huge and there are far less stops along the way. Unlike modern ships, sailboats do not have nearly as much endurance and the trip must be tough.

He he he. China beat India by one day.

Chinese sailor completed a non-stop solo travel
1130-600x320_zps1c605fe3.jpg

QINGDAO, Shandong Province, April 05: Chinese sailor Guo Chuan paid homage to his late father after he successfully completed a non-stop solo travel around the world on Friday, China’s Xinhua news agency reported.

Chinese sailor completed a non-stop solo travel | The Malaysian Times

Actually his voyage was completed on 31st March, but was kept under wrap as the President who was to felicitate him was only scheduled to be in Mumbai on 6th April.

Congrats to the naval officer.

All alone at sea for this much of a time, really a great feat.

Wow anyone who does this has my complete admiration. It must take some serious b@lls to cross such huge water bodies on a tiny boat on your own! I know for sure I haven't got the guts to do it. Scary stuff, congrats to this guy.

Reminds me of Life of Pi!!! :smile: Takes real courage to be out at in the open sea's all alone!!

congrts.... Hell lots of pressure, Mentaly and physical harassment tough thing to do it victu to all alone i salute him
2qbhgmw.jpg

well done Lieutenant...I remember this was my dream as a kid to sail out in the ocean all alone with food and fuel cans in my tiny boat and travel to all different places.. I also made lines in my geaography book atlas..lol..this news just made me remember this. :) but now I know how silly that was

well done Lieutenant...I remember this was my dream as a kid to sail out in the ocean all alone with food and fuel cans in my tiny boat and travel to all different places.. I also made lines in my geaography book atlas..lol..this news just made me remember this. :) but now I know how silly that was

Not silly bro. If you want still you can achieve it. Its not too late...

Back
Top Bottom