What's new

NATO missile agreement meets demands, says Turkish leader

Jigs

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Saturday, November 20, 2010
LISBON, Portugal – Daily News with wires

President Abdullah Gül said Saturday that Turkey was "quite happy" with NATO's agreement to build a missile shield over Europe after the alliance met Ankara's demands not to name Iran as a threat.

NATO leaders on Friday agreed to build a missile shield over Europe, an ambitious commitment to protect against an Iranian attack while demonstrating the alliance's continuing relevance — but at the risk of further aggravating Russia.

An alliance member that maintains close ties to neighboring Iran, Turkey had refused to let NATO name Tehran as a threat. At the Lisbon summit, NATO leaders did not explicitly identify any potential enemy, although Iran is its main concern.

“We had some concerns before,” Gül told journalists late Friday after several hours of meetings and a working dinner with other leaders. “But now we are quite happy with the results.”

On another major issue, U.S. President Barack Obama and the allies are expected to announce plans on Saturday to begin handing off security responsibility in Afghanistan to local forces next year and to complete the transition by the end of 2014, The Associated Press reported.

That end date is three years beyond the time that Obama has said he will start withdrawing U.S. troops, and the challenge is to avoid a rush to the exits as public opinion turns more sharply against the war and Afghan President Hamid Karzai pushes for greater Afghan control.

While celebrating Friday's missile shield decision, Obama also made a renewed pitch for Senate ratification back in the U.S. of a nuclear arms treaty with Russia, asserting that Europeans believe rejection of the deal would hurt their security and damage relations with the Russians.

Two key unanswered questions about the missile shield — will it work and can the Europeans afford it? — were put aside for the present in the interest of celebrating the agreement as a boost for NATO solidarity.

"It offers a role for all of our allies," Obama told reporters Friday. "It responds to the threats of our times. It shows our determination to protect our citizens from the threat of ballistic missiles." He did not mention Iran by name, acceding to the wishes of Turkey, which had threatened to block the deal if its neighbor was singled out.

The Turkish president praised Obama's role in the negotiations. The U.S. leader “helped to formulate a right vision for NATO that is considerate to the concerns of all members,” Gül said Friday.

Under the arrangement, a limited system of U.S. anti-missile interceptors and radars already planned for Europe — to include interceptors in Romania and Poland and possibly a radar in Turkey — would be linked to expanded European-owned missile defenses. That would create a broad system that protects every NATO country against medium-range missile attack.

I don't really support our government but they did the right i guess.By the way is that true? Will they take their troops from Iraq?So we can wipe some terrorist ***** .

I don't really support our government but they did the right i guess.By the way is that true? Will they take their troops from Iraq?So we can wipe some terrorist ***** .

This was the most logical choice for this administration since they need more Iranian support. We should have rolled into Northern Iraq a long time ago but politically we just dont have that capability.

The "Win" here for Turkiye is that it will not be alone in stationing these missiles, if I understand correctly all NATO countries must house them - this makes it easier to argue that these missiles were stationed due to alliance requirements and much knowledge can be gained as well.

I think Turkey had to demand full NATO membership in exchange with missile agreement. :undecided:

Does Iran have missiles that can reach Europe? Yesterday I heard a retired turkish general say they didn't have such missiles.

Does Iran have missiles that can reach Europe? Yesterday I heard a retired turkish general say they didn't have such missiles.

I was thinking about that as well. Looking around at google, their missiles can reach South East Europe but think Paris, London are outside their range. Still might be wrong, maybe some Iranian has more accurate information.

I was thinking about that as well. Looking around at google, their missiles can reach South East Europe but think Paris, London are outside their range. Still might be wrong, maybe some Iranian has more accurate information.

I was looking at the net and i saw that their missiles can reach Berlin , Copenhagen but not Paris.

This project is agains Turkish Nation and other muslim countries. I hope my people will wake up soon and will give akp in 2011 a big punishment! May Allah protect the Turkish nation and the whole Ummah.

This project is agains Turkish Nation and other muslim countries. I hope my people will wake up soon and will give akp in 2011 a big punishment! May Allah protect the Turkish nation and the whole Ummah.
This had to be done. Period. I'm sorry to bring this down on you, but in international politics, every man is by itself. You can't think other countries as your bff and expect them to help you whenever you are in dire help.

This had to be done. Period. I'm sorry to bring this down on you, but in international politics, every man is by itself. You can't think other countries as your bff and expect them to help you whenever you are in dire help.

What you dont understand about my words? I am talking that the control of the system will not be in our but in NATO's hands. And who's the enemies of NATO?? All muslim countries including Turkey. Who give you the guarantee that NATO wont attack OUR planes when its so far?? Who gives the guarantee that it wont stay only by AA but ground to ground missiles. In 1992/1993 a general saw the threat of operation iron hammer and created agains this a new strategy to stop the kurdistan project. And in 1993 he died by an american assassination.

What i trying to tell is that they want to devide the whole middle-east. We cant accept things that can be used agains us. We must always protect our own safety frist. We stopped 19 of crusade in history and these years they are planning to make the 20th one. So if nobody stop these project you and i will go to war less than 5 years.

Btw can i talk Turkish in this section or not?

What you dont understand about my words? I am talking that the control of the system will not be in our but in NATO's hands. And who's the enemies of NATO?? All muslim countries including Turkey. Who give you the guarantee that NATO wont attack OUR planes when its so far?? Who gives the guarantee that it wont stay only by AA but ground to ground missiles. In 1992/1993 a general saw the threat of operation iron hammer and created agains this a new strategy to stop the kurdistan project. And in 1993 he died by an american assassination.

What i trying to tell is that they want to devide the whole middle-east. We cant accept things that can be used agains us. We must always protect our own safety frist. We stopped 19 of crusade in history and these years they are planning to make the 20th one. So if nobody stop these project you and i will go to war less than 5 years.

Btw can i talk Turkish in this section or not?
Problem with your assessment is NATO established as a security organisation and it still lives with this principle. NATO is not the enemy of Muslims just because majority of its members consists of other religions. It was created for Soviet threat and now it morphed into something different. Even the most prestigious think-tanks tries to answer the question of what's the purpose of NATO now. Members of the organisation just had an Lisbon summit, you can read the declaration on NATO website to find out what is ahead of NATO's future.

About Eşref Bitlis, you have no proof that Americans assassinated, no one does. Conspiracy theories never go away do they? Trust me, this so called "project" is not gonna make you join army in 5 years. I'm sure some higher authority thought this through to some extend.

Oh also, you can't write Turkish here, sorry man.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom