What's new

Myanmar May Have Just Bombed Chinese Territory -- Now What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burma needs to be taken care of. To make it worse they are involved in the genocide of muslims in their territory. I think China has a lot of influence on Burmese govt since Burma is otherwise isolated in world politics, they should use this influence for good causes.

Myanmar Airforce's 100x aircrafts ... except few Mig-29s, most r China J-7, K-8, Q-5, Y-8 planes etc ... in 1990s Chinese helped them to build their Airforce and provide trainning. Chinese clearly know about them, they also understand us ... such incident is so sad for both relationships ... anyways the truth is their fighter crossing the border & killed 5x Chinese citizens, we request for national apology from Myanmar government & relevant personnels must get punishment.

For PLA Army, we need set our Radars & HQ-12,HQ-16,HQ-9 SAMs near Myanmar-China border to avoid such incident happen again.

For the time being, shoot down the fighters into Chinese territory is what I must do. I don't think invade Myanmar is in our army's discussion. These are two different thing.

China scrambles jets after deadly Burma bomb attack

BEIJING — China scrambled fighter jets Saturday to patrol its southwestern border with Burma, also known as Myanmar, a day after a bomb dropped by a Burmese warplane killed four Chinese farmers and injured nine others, state media reported.

Authorities in Burma blamed the incident on ethnic Chinese rebels the Burmese army is fighting close to the border.

Beijing summoned the Burmese Ambassador on Friday night to lodge a diplomatic protest, the state news agency, Xinhua, said. The four victims were working in a sugar cane field near the border city of Lincang, in southwest Yunnan province, Xinhua said.

Burma's government, which uses Myanmar as the official name of its country, denied responsibility for the attack and said the rebels may have fired into China to stir trouble between China and Burma. The longtime allies' often difficult relationship has become further strained by Burma's moves toward democracy in recent years.

"It's possible that those fighting with us purposely created these attacks with the intent of causing misunderstanding between China and us," Zaw Htay, an official in the Burmese president's office, told Reuters.

Intensified fighting in recent weeks in northeast Burma's Kokang region has forced tens of thousands of people, including many ethnic Chinese, to flee into China across the often porous 1,240-mile border. China has given refugees "necessary relief and temporary settlements, which is appreciated by the Myanmar government," Xinhua said.

Beijing has previously denied Burmese claims that Chinese authorities have assisted the rebels by allowing them to launch attacks from Chinese territory. Burma has also said Chinese mercenaries fight with the rebels.

Multiple ethnic conflicts have continued for several decades in Burma, notably in border regions. Its military regime has undertaken a transition toward a more democratic system in recent years.

China, which did not join Western nations' decades-long isolation of the country to protest its military dictatorship and repression of rights, has dominated foreign investment there.

Elections planned for late this year will provide a crucial test of the Burmese government's commitment to greater political freedom.

The opposition party, led by Nobel Peace Prize laureate Aung San Suu Kyi, is likely to win the popular vote, but she remains barred from running for president by the country's army-drafted constitution.
China scrambles jets after deadly Burma bomb attack

3.14 PLA HQ-64 SAMs to Myanmar-China border

hq64_1.jpg

hq64_2.jpg

hq64_3.jpg

Relax, man. China and Myanmar in govt level and citizen level still keep close communication. Now we need to make clear why the Myanmar army is out of control. It seems Myanmar govt can't control the army at the moment.

Quite the opposite. The army is about as cohesive as its ever been. Whatsmore, they seem to be winning over a lot of hearts and minds in the public opinion. I don't know whether this being an election year is material or not.

What I don't get is why did the Kokang decide to attack. And surely as the bulk of the former Burma Communist Party, along with the Wa, there must be lingering involvement with their old CCP handlers.

This shows there are gaps in the PLA's air defense it took this long to responsed, and the PLAAF in that area are still using outdated J-6 and J-7s. If somethinge like this happens again it will hurt the CPCS credibility, China better increase the pace of our military modernization. And not let down our guard even near friendly countries.

Perhaps they went in too deep by accident? It appears that they were hunting Kokang rebels who may have bases inside Chinese territory.

Those MiG-29 SE's (given that my memory serves correct in regards to the variant) do not have A2G capabilities. At best, a small payload of unguided bombs and rockets. Why would they put it into such impractical use is questionable....unless of-course there were other.....'intentions'.

The later batches are SMT.

It was a mere 1km away from our border. No excuse but there we are. The Burmese often used to cross into Thailand with impunity when we used to fight the Karen but I guess China is a different fish to Thailand.

This shows there are gaps in the PLA's air defense it took this long to response, and the PLAAF in that area are still using outdated J-6 and J-7s. If someone like this happens again it will hurt the CPCS credibility, China better increase the pace of our military modernization.

I don't think it is an issue of gaps, my friend, it is an issue of risk assessment. Myanmar, for a long time, has been considered a friendly nation to China, given the immense economic and military cooperation between the two; namely Myanmar's dependency on Chinese military arms exports/ sales. The situation is an unfortunate reminder for the PLA's Chengdu Military Region , which is responsible for defense of Yunnan Province, that even with friendly states, it is important to maintain strict ground-air-sea review. Given the shear political instability in Myanmar , afterall, the country has separatist armies that challenge Rangoon's command.

China needs to strengthen its ground review and ground defense and deployment in the frontier , especially bordering Myanmar.

Quite the opposite. The army is about as cohesive as its ever been. Whatsmore, they seem to be winning over a lot of hearts and minds in the public opinion. I don't know whether this being an election year is material or not.

What I don't get is why did the Kokang decide to attack. And surely as the bulk of the former Burma Communist Party, along with the Wa, there must be lingering involvement with their old CCP handlers.

This old excuse we have listened for dozens of years.

Whether do you want to say China is not a communism country, you will welcome China to support the minorities? You are speaking in the American shoes. Shan minority is Thais.

You didn't get the core of problem. Equal rights of each race. You still don't trust China govt. We have made clear statement China govt didn't and won't support any minority rebel. Please check the Kokang's weapons, if China intend to support them , would supply them with those shabby weapons? Myanmar beat them like a lion kill cow, they flee everywhere as possible they could.

Last edited:
Whether do you want to say China is not a communism country, you will welcome China to support the minorities? You are speaking in the American shoes. Shan minority is Thais.

I don't understand this part.

I don't understand this part.
You didn't get the core of problem. Equal rights of each race. You still don't trust China govt. We have made clear statement China govt didn't and won't support any minority rebel in Myanmar. Please check the Kokang's weapons, if China intend to support them , would supply them with those shabby weapons? That's suicide. Myanmar beat them like a lion kill cow, they flee everywhere as possible they could.

Remember your govt took military action since the end of last year, China govt just accept hundreds of thousand refugees, even didn't deploy troops to boarder.

This time is your fighters entered into Chinese territory and kill Chinese citizens.

A message from Myanmar to China I guest, not to feed the rebel anymore. Their military junta seems to be in frustration against the rebel. I bet China will help the rebel, they will let the rebel comes freely but not Myanmar Army

You need to provide proof that China helps the rebels. In fact, China, from the beginning of the crisis, advised political, negotiation-based solution even though it is remarkably easy for China to get involved in the crisis the way, say, the Us would. But China respects Myanmar's sovereignty and considers the crisis as the country's own matter.

That's a complicated problem and cool-headed-ness must overcome any hasty action.

You did get the core of problem. Equal rights of each race. You still don't trust China govt. We have made clear statement China govt didn't and won't support any minority rebel in Myanmar. Please check the Kokang's weapons, if China intend to support them , would supply them with those shabby weapons? That's suicide. Myanmar beat them like a lion kill cow, they flee everywhere as possible they could.

Remember your govt took military action since the end of last year, China govt just accept hundreds of thousand refugees, even didn't deploy troops to boarder.

This time is your fighters entered into Chinese territory and kill Chinese citizens.
There was an old thread here which showed Wa and Kokant APCs which were clearly of Chinese origin. Whether the support is official or not, whether low key or high key, it remains that they get their arms through China and many Kokant rebels reside in China. Their leader, infact, is a Chinese national.

What happened yesterday was very unfortunate. You won't get any arguments there. Again I offer my sincerest condolences and if the situation were reversed I would be fuming.

What needs to happen is more state level coopoeration to coordinate against, what in my opinion, is a mutual threat.

There was an old thread here which showed Wa and Kokant APCs which were clearly of Chinese origin. Whether the support is official or not, whether low key or high key, it remains that they get their arms through China and many Kokant rebels reside in China. Their leader, infact, is a Chinese national.

What happened yesterday was very unfortunate. You won't get any arguments there. Again I offer my sincerest condolences and if the situation were reversed I would be fuming.

What needs to happen is more state level coopoeration to coordinate against, what in my opinion, is a mutual threat.
In fact,your army took over the Kokang region in 2009 was supported by China,one thing to note,the Kokang made weapons spread to China before 2009,some even spreaded to Xinjiang,so China was unhappy about the Kokang leader Peng Jiasheng彭家声,and let you get rid of them.Then you guys appointed Bai Suocheng白所成 as the chairman of Kokang,Bai has friendly relation with China
There is no reason for China to support Kachin rebels,which is a pro-west Christian military group,but this time,the Kokang rebels side with Kachin rebels

In fact,your army took over the Kokang region in 2009 was supported by China,one thing to note,the Kokang made weapons spread to China before 2009,some even spreaded to Xinjiang,so China was unhappy about the Kokang leader Peng Jiasheng彭家声,and let you get rid of them.Then you guys appointed Bai Suocheng白所成 as the chairman of Kokang,Bai has friendly relation with China
There is no reason for China to support Kachin rebels,which is a pro-west Christian military group,but this time,the Kokang rebels side with Kachin rebels

Well, Phone Kyar Shin is the one who ordered the attack. What he's up to is anyone'a guess.

What China govt do these years? China govt helped those minority to abandon opium agriculture and production. China govt or ordinary businessmen trade and invest in the areas. Don't consider China the same way as USSR, this is American trap. USSR can only provide weapons. Please note China can provide both security and economy development.

You pointed Wa minority. In the first place it's America provide them with weapons in 60's and 70's to fight against communism. The Shan minority has more close relations with Thailand.

For the time being, I don't understand Myanmar govt. I don't know what ideas in their mind. Play the balance game? American can help Myanmar improve economy, I think nobody will oppose it. A prosperous Myanmar is beneficial to neighbor especially China.
The Wa were communists in the 60s and 70s.

I do concede that this is playing in the army's favour. It's an election year so they probably want to make themselves look useful.

As an aside, it will probably mean a fairer election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom