What's new

Myanmar Defence Forum

If Myanmar needs aircraft to tackle insurgents then I think this SEPECAT Jaguar can be a good choice. This is an Anglo French aircraft made specifically for COIN or counter insurgency tasks and is cheap only 8 million dollars. Currently this is used by the Indian Air force. But I don't think Myanmar will buy any western equipments.

800px-Jaguar_DF-SD-05-05511.jpeg

images (1).jpeg

@Aung Zaya @tarpitz @MINN @Tagaung

I’m not gonna lie but the New MA look like a AK 12. At this point I wouldn’t even be mad if we went full Russian type military. After all Russia did a very good job modernising their military with what little money they had.

We are literally in the same boat as they were in 2008. Crumbling and shit economy. Never ending fighting in the former soviet states. Lots of old and outdated equipment. Little money for anything else. It is a very ideal model for us to use to modernise our military quickly with what little we have.

You kidding me right?

Russia's military modernization are a joke. If it weren't then they're not seriously pursuing it. It's just a stage play to fool gullible western observers (& Burmese in this case) to make themselves look like credible forces.

Only 1/4 of their armed forces are modernized in anyway, that being their rapid response division. Aside from them not so much. This despite plans to modernize to western standard since the Soviet era & their command structures are unsurprisingly still remain unchanged. One of the original plans was to replace the old Russian conscription system with professional volunteer & to this day it still haven't yet materialized. With the Tatmadaw being what they are they will only implement piece meal reforms but will remains mostly unchanged.

Also being "modernized" & being effective are two different things. Just look at the war in Georgia for example. The Russian army rushed to war & then deploys an ad hoc forces to the country, this combined with antiquated military thinking led to more casualty than expected fighting against the Israeli trained Georgian army.

And their performance in Syria & Libya against the Turks leaves much to be desired to put it mildly.

If Myanmar needs aircraft to tackle insurgents then I think this SEPECAT Jaguar can be a good choice. This is an Anglo French aircraft made specifically for COIN or counter insurgency tasks and is cheap only 8 million dollars. Currently this is used by the Indian Air force. But I don't think Myanmar will buy any western equipments.

View attachment 639599
View attachment 639600

@Aung Zaya @tarpitz @MINN @Tagaung

We don’t need any aircraft for counter insurgency operations.
We have Yak 130s with KAB 500Kr bombs.
We have used those KAB 500Kr extensively in Rakhine in 2019 and it proved very effective.
The reason for not using large scale air strikes is due to the political reasons.
As far as I am aware MAF is not going to buy any ground attack fighters in near future. They are rather interested in augmenting the attack helicopters fleet.

You kidding me right?

Russia's military modernization are a joke. If it weren't then they're not seriously pursuing it. It's just a stage play to fool gullible western observers (& Burmese in this case) to make themselves look like credible forces.

Only 1/4 of their armed forces are modernized in anyway, that being their rapid response division. Aside from them not so much. This despite plans to modernize to western standard since the Soviet era & their command structures are unsurprisingly still remain unchanged. One of the original plans was to replace the old Russian conscription system with professional volunteer & to this day it still haven't yet materialized. With the Tatmadaw being what they are they will only implement piece meal reforms but will remains mostly unchanged.

Also being "modernized" & being effective are two different things. Just look at the war in Georgia for example. The Russian army rushed to war & then deploys an ad hoc forces to the country, this combined with antiquated military thinking led to more casualty than expected fighting against the Israeli trained Georgian army.

And their performance in Syria & Libya against the Turks leaves much to be desired to put it mildly.
Well I Guess you’re right, but when u don’t have money, what could u really do?

Myanmar state production of small arms, light weapons, and ammunition24 //// Upon independence in 1948, the Burmese military (or Tatmadaw) was armed with mostly surplus Second World War equipment inherited from Britain and Japan. In seeking to develop domestic arms production, the DDI (abbreviated Ka-Pa-Sa in Burmese) was established as the state’s armament organization. Burmese manufacturing began with the licensed production of the Italian TZ45 sub-machine gun, which entered service with the Tatmadaw as the BA52, and eventually included the licence-produced HKG3 and Rheinmetall MG3 by the 1960s. Indigenized variants of these weapons remain in service today with distinct Burmese designations. Following the government’s violent crackdown on civilian protests in August 1988, the European Union (EU) and the United States severed defence industry ties with the junta and imposed sanctions, including arms embargoes (CoEU, 1996). With the withdrawal of partnerships with the United States and EU countries, Israeli and Singaporean expertise and input significantly influenced the development of the DDI’s capabilities. By the early 1990s the DDI was producing the BA93 SMG (currently the MA13), a variant of the Uzi. More significantly, Israeli engineers assisted the DDI in the development of a new family of self-loading rifles to replace the MA11 and MA12—rifles that used the patterns for HK33 rifles seized from rebel groups. In 2002 production of the Galil ARM-inspired MA1, MA2, MA3, and MA4 self-loading rifles and light machine guns began, which continues to this day. These rifles are currently the Tatmadaw’s standard infantry weapons. Currently the DDI produces more small arms and in more variants than ever before. The past decade alone has seen the indigenous production of a Glock-patterned handgun, a Steyr TMP-patterned sub-machine gun (MA13 MK II),25 upgraded versions of the standard MA1-4 series, precision rifles in both 7.62 × 51 mm and 12.7 × 99 mm, a bullpup contestant to the current service rifle (MA1 MK III), a stand-alone grenade launcher, and a range of ammunition for these systems. Actual defence production takes place at more than two dozen locations throughout government-controlled portions of Myanmar. The primary end user of all DDI materiel is the Tatmadaw, although the Myanmar Police Force is also occasionally supplied with such materiel—typically surplus. A third (and very rare) group of end users have been civilian defence units, which comprise local villagers in conflict areas. No known significant exports of DDI-produced small arms have taken place to a foreign country. Diversion occurs via battlefield captures while the Tatmadaw is fighting the various ethnic groups in the border regions, although these anti-government groups do not favour the use of DDI weapons due to reliability issues and limited access to spare parts. Less commonly observed, but still practised, is corrupt Tatmadaw soldiers’ illicit sale of arms and ammunition in the conflict areas. In conclusion, the DDI has an extremely robust small arms production capacity that can meet the Tatmadaw’s operational needs. It is also able to experiment with and modify existing production designs as issues arise or as the armed forces identify new requirements. Despite the changes in government leadership and political stances in the last decade, the DDI has continued to increase production variants and innovate with different platforms. This trend is likely to remain the norm for the foreseeable future. ( That 's what we have done with limited resources )

What do you guys think about a new SMG for the military. Because the Uzi is not good enough anymore.

Myanmar state production of small arms, light weapons, and ammunition24 //// Upon independence in 1948, the Burmese military (or Tatmadaw) was armed with mostly surplus Second World War equipment inherited from Britain and Japan. In seeking to develop domestic arms production, the DDI (abbreviated Ka-Pa-Sa in Burmese) was established as the state’s armament organization. Burmese manufacturing began with the licensed production of the Italian TZ45 sub-machine gun, which entered service with the Tatmadaw as the BA52, and eventually included the licence-produced HKG3 and Rheinmetall MG3 by the 1960s. Indigenized variants of these weapons remain in service today with distinct Burmese designations. Following the government’s violent crackdown on civilian protests in August 1988, the European Union (EU) and the United States severed defence industry ties with the junta and imposed sanctions, including arms embargoes (CoEU, 1996). With the withdrawal of partnerships with the United States and EU countries, Israeli and Singaporean expertise and input significantly influenced the development of the DDI’s capabilities. By the early 1990s the DDI was producing the BA93 SMG (currently the MA13), a variant of the Uzi. More significantly, Israeli engineers assisted the DDI in the development of a new family of self-loading rifles to replace the MA11 and MA12—rifles that used the patterns for HK33 rifles seized from rebel groups. In 2002 production of the Galil ARM-inspired MA1, MA2, MA3, and MA4 self-loading rifles and light machine guns began, which continues to this day. These rifles are currently the Tatmadaw’s standard infantry weapons. Currently the DDI produces more small arms and in more variants than ever before. The past decade alone has seen the indigenous production of a Glock-patterned handgun, a Steyr TMP-patterned sub-machine gun (MA13 MK II),25 upgraded versions of the standard MA1-4 series, precision rifles in both 7.62 × 51 mm and 12.7 × 99 mm, a bullpup contestant to the current service rifle (MA1 MK III), a stand-alone grenade launcher, and a range of ammunition for these systems. Actual defence production takes place at more than two dozen locations throughout government-controlled portions of Myanmar. The primary end user of all DDI materiel is the Tatmadaw, although the Myanmar Police Force is also occasionally supplied with such materiel—typically surplus. A third (and very rare) group of end users have been civilian defence units, which comprise local villagers in conflict areas. No known significant exports of DDI-produced small arms have taken place to a foreign country. Diversion occurs via battlefield captures while the Tatmadaw is fighting the various ethnic groups in the border regions, although these anti-government groups do not favour the use of DDI weapons due to reliability issues and limited access to spare parts. Less commonly observed, but still practised, is corrupt Tatmadaw soldiers’ illicit sale of arms and ammunition in the conflict areas. In conclusion, the DDI has an extremely robust small arms production capacity that can meet the Tatmadaw’s operational needs. It is also able to experiment with and modify existing production designs as issues arise or as the armed forces identify new requirements. Despite the changes in government leadership and political stances in the last decade, the DDI has continued to increase production variants and innovate with different platforms. This trend is likely to remain the norm for the foreseeable future. ( That 's what we have done with limited resources )

You need to make paragraphs if your writing is quite long.

Increasing the size & responsibility of NCOs, Ending the use of forced recruitment, allowing dissenting/freedom of thoughts in the military, better wellfare & treatment for soldiers, winning hearts & minds of the local populace instead of blowing them up, & etc. This is just the top of my head in how to increase the effectiveness of the Tatmadaw. Without buying expensive weapon systems.

Note: My suggestion will only affects the regimental/divisional performance not the overall performance of the Tatmadaw. For that requires actual changes to the system that I believes the Tatmadaw will never grant.

Increasing the size & responsibility of NCOs, Ending the use of forced recruitment, allowing dissenting/freedom of thoughts in the military, better wellfare & treatment for soldiers, winning hearts & minds of the local populace instead of blowing them up, & etc. This is just the top of my head in how to increase the effectiveness of the Tatmadaw. Without buying expensive weapon systems.

Note: My suggestion will only affects the regimental/divisional performance not the overall performance of the Tatmadaw. For that requires actual changes to the system that I believes the Tatmadaw will never grant.
I agree with u that we definitely need changes to the tatmadaw system. But it has to come from the inside and it will take sometime for the younger generation to take the lead and replace the old guard. I have friends and uncles that agrees with your point in that the current military system is not only not ideal but unsustainable. However it will take some time for those with that kind of ideas to take up positions of power in the chain of command

I agree with u that we definitely need changes to the tatmadaw system. But it has to come from the inside and it will take sometime for the younger generation to take the lead and replace the old guard. I have friends and uncles that agrees with your point in that the current military system is not only not ideal but unsustainable. However it will take some time for those with that kind of ideas to take up positions of power in the chain of command
Exactly, the point is we need sustainable progress for the future. Need to recruit and employ strong PR professionals to lift up, also need to adopt some of recruitment systems like Thailand and Singapore to sustain Reserve force. Yes, we need the hard ware off course, but we need more qualified and educated troops Like Singapore. I really want to see this kind of web page in Myanmar. https://www.mindef.gov.sg/oms/arc/

Found it on Google Earth.
Any idea of this elongated thing next to the LPD?

Adjustments.JPG
Adjustments.JPG
Adjustments.JPG

A lot of new ships are spotted in the Naval Dockyard including corvette, ASW corvettes and 49 metre FAC (missile)(stealth feature).
Adjustments.JPG

Two ASW corvettes and one 49 metre FAC are already launched, conducting sea trails and about to be commissioned soon.
One 49 metre FAC is ready to be launched on the rail.
Adjustments.JPG

One 79 metre Corvette is being constructed.
Adjustments.JPG

Back
Top Bottom