What's new

My own sketch of ancient Chinese soldiers

I wondered about this because although your drawing is Chinese, the composition is Western - just compare your drawing to the Chinese painting above. The painting has a roughly central focus, but the eye is confused; whereas in your craft the eye is immediately drawn to the classic one-third over, one third up, point.

That's much more pleasing to the Western eye. So if you tried selling your stuff you might find a ready market in the U.S. for your wares.

do really dont know much about the 'one-third over, and up' can you explain to me about that?

p.s do u draw as well or u just love arts?

do really dont know much about the 'one-third over, and up' can you explain to me about that?
It has to do with the Golden Ratio. Art that follows it seems most pleasing to the Western eye.

p.s do u draw as well or u just love arts?
I learned enough about art and drawing to appreciate them yet know my limitations.

these are my own sketches```I did a lot in the past, but either giving up to friends as gifts or lost after moving flats`

I didnt have much time to draw them now

img00061lf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

img00041o.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

img00051z.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

these ones i did long time ago, wasnt very nice`

One question. Is the halberd wielding warrior supposed to be Xue Ren Gui?

Some people, when it comes to Asians sword they always has Katana in mind while some dao swords are much better than the japanese katanas.

One question. Is the halberd wielding warrior supposed to be Xue Ren Gui?
how do you know?! and yes

I m just fascinated after reading Tang chronics about the war against turks and arabas,

unlike how ancient europeans deal with calvary charging with walls of shelds and extreemly long pikes, the tang chinese, on the other hand, they line up in lose collums yet the front soldier didnt even equipted with shelds, but they holding up the unique Mo Dao (long saber) flat/slant pointing towards the charging calvaries. Mo Dao units always had the highest casualties of all chinese units (heavy infantry, light/heavy calvary, crossbow man and other units) however they brought devastating blow to those turkish heavy/light calvaries every single battle.

according to those chronic, the reason the ancient chinese chose this tactics against the turkish calvary was the fact that we knew those turkish barbarians were excellent horsemanship, they were fast, eager and extremely manoeuvrable against conventional infantry formations, so the only thing to inflict the maximun damage to them were to have them engaged in close quarter combat... this was kind of suicido tactics, but worked every time heroically,
when heavy calvary locked up with agile infantry with long, hard and lethal Mo Dao, they lost all their advantages against infantry. Once engaged Mo Dao soldiers wielding, slashing and chopping long two-handed sabers cut them (man horse) into pieces, literally pieces described in those historical records.

how do you know?! and yes

Xue Ren Gui was a well known welder of the halberd. Historically Lv Bu did not wield a halberd but Xue did.

Mo Dao is probably the epitome of Chinese sword making. The Japanese were very impressed with the design and later on improved upon Tang sword making techniques to create the famous katana. The technique for forging Mo Dao was, unfortunately lost by the Song Dynasty. This led to a decline in Chinese sword making skills and Chinese soldiers were disadvantaged in this regard during the Wokou incursions of the 16th century.

this is how Mo Dao unit should look like accordin to records
201004084f1b5df1cf35ae3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Xue Ren Gui was a well known welder of the halberd. Historically Lv Bu did not wield a halberd but Xue did.

Mo Dao is probably the epitome of Chinese sword making. The Japanese were very impressed with the design and later on improved upon Tang sword making techniques to create the famous katana. The technique for forging Mo Dao was, unfortunately lost by the Song Dynasty. This led to a decline in Chinese sword making skills and Chinese soldiers were disadvantaged in this regard during the Wokou incursions of the 16th century.

there are several issues associated with the demise of Mo Dao in China, in late Tang the development of gun powder projectile, and the further advancement of crossbow and long rang weapons that made the policy makers convinced that it is better to inflict casualties and fragment enemy formations in long distance while suffer much less loss on own side.
And the cost of making one Mo Dao was so costly, there was a saying in ancient china ‘one good saber can cost a city’ which made it impossible to have such unit in large number in the army. One good example of the preciousness of Mo Dao is that in tang era that no one can privately possess a Mo dao, not even as burial objects for top ranking generals.

Mind Blowing pictures friend, keep them coming..... I have already become a fan of yours I guess.... Would like to see more, Kindly sketch for more and upload when ever you find time....

Mind Blowing pictures friend, keep them coming..... I have already become a fan of yours I guess.... Would like to see more, Kindly sketch for more and upload when ever you find time....

thank you for your encuragement, I will try my best to find spare time to draw

Back
Top Bottom