What's new

Muslims evicted by LTTE from Northern Sri Lanka to be re-settled

Skyline

Reaction score
Country
Sri Lanka
Nov 18, Colombo: Thousands of Tamil-speaking Muslim people languishing in refugees camps for 22 years after their forcible eviction from their homes in Northern Province by the Tamil Tiger terrorist group LTTE will be re-settled in their original places of residence immediately, Minister of Economic Development Basil Rajapaksa has said.

''We are determined to resettle these individuals shortly. A high percentage of the displaced individuals are Muslims. We certify that we will take steps to resettle them in their home towns,'' Minister Rajapaksa said addressing a conference on Friday.

A conference titled "Commemorating the 22nd year of the Forcible Eviction of Muslims from the Northern Province" to address the issue of evicted Northern Muslims was held on 16 November at the BMICH in Colombo with Minister Rajapaksa as the Chief Guest.

The 22nd Anniversary of the Displacement of the Muslim Community of the North was marked at the BMICH on Friday.

Minister Rajapaksa was joined by the Minister of Resettlement Gunaratne Weerakoon at the conference organized by the Muslim Council of Sri Lanka. High level Muslim community members and dignitaries and representatives from stakeholders attended the event.

Minister of Power and Energy Champika Ranawaka addressing the conference pointed out that the elections in Northern Province cannot be held until the displaced Muslim refugees are resettled.

''Various parties including the international community are talking about the elections in the North. I think we cannot hold a fair and democratic election without resettling these individuals. Therefore the right of the Muslim and Sinhala communities to settle in their home towns should be certified,'' Minister Ranawaka explained.

The conference was held to focus the attention on the plight of more than 60,000 Tamil-speaking Muslim people evicted from the Northern Province by the LTTE in October 1990.

Following the 24-hour eviction from their homes in the North at gun point, the displaced Muslims settled in refugee camps in the Puttalam district and other parts of Sri Lanka.

Their future remains still uncertain 22 years after their eviction and thousands of them are still languishing in camps without being able to return to their original homes in the North even three years after the war ended.

After the end of the war and with the restoration of normalcy the displaced Muslims have expressed their wish to return to their original homes but several matters are complicating their return.

Senior Minister A. H, M, Fowzie, Governor of the Western Province Alawi Maulana, Minister of Industry and Commerce Rishad Bathiyutheen, Eastern Province Chief Minister M. Najeeb Abdul Majeed and diplomats, also participated at this meeting.

Sri Lanka : Muslims evicted by LTTE from Northern Sri Lanka to be re-settled immediately

And i pray to Allah Almighty that they play a better role in the progress of Srilanka. U guys deserve it Good Going. After a long civil war its time to Shine

More Power to Sri Lanka and Sri Lankan Army against LTTE terrorists.

great news

yes, the only ltte sympathisers are the backward caste people in tamil nadu(mostly christians and dalits and some periyar supporters and also a small bunch who are in various european countries) . i support the slap on their faces.

of course they also had relations with the huge base of terrorist organizations in Pakistan and some maoists.

yes, the only ltte sympathisers are the backward caste people in tamil nadu(mostly christians and dalits and some periyar supporters and also a small bunch who are in various european countries) . i support the slap on their faces.

of course they also had relations with the terrorist organizations in Pakistan and some maoists.

Periyar has nothing to do with it or the caste has nothing to do with it. Please leave both out. You can generalize it as some Tamilians in tamilnadu.

Periyar has nothing to do with it or the caste has nothing to do with it. Please leave both out. You can generalize it as some Tamilians in tamilnadu.

ok i stand corrected. but there is a reason i said that on this forum :)

Are most Muslims in Sri Lanka ethnic Tamils or Sinhalese? Which side did the Muslim Tamils end up in during the civil war?

I am glad of the demise of LTTE the ultra racist party nurtured and sponsored by India to break srilanka. Before Indians start protesting ..... Yes yes in the end you abandoned them and stopped supporting them overtly after rajiv gandy got blown up.... But the point is LTTE was a Indian creation and to their credit srilsnkans were able to deal with them effectively

of course they also had relations with the huge base of terrorist organizations in Pakistan and some maoists.

divisive , shameful post. Good job adding caste and communal flavor to an ethnic issue. The only conclusion one could make from your post is upper caste Hindus aka Brahmins are less Tamil than the rest and hence don't care about Tamil issues.

I am glad of the demise of LTTE the ultra racist party nurtured and sponsored by India to break srilanka. Before Indians start protesting ..... Yes yes in the end you abandoned them and stopped supporting them overtly after rajiv gandy got blown up.... But the point is LTTE was a Indian creation and to their credit srilsnkans were able to deal with them effectively

Do you know India supported LTTE because Sri Lanka was a hurdle in Bangladesh's independence?

Funny coming from Bangladeshis of all people, considering India's anti-SL stand mainly came because of Sri Lanka's pro-Pakistan role in the 1971 war. No guesses on who benefitted with a whole new nation to call home in the 1971 war...

Oh well, there are no permanent allies or friends, and most Bangladeshis are pretty quick in this forum to get selective amnesia regarding India's role in their independence.

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed ?

Do you know India supported LTTE because Sri Lanka was a hurdle in Bangladesh's independence?

For a jamati that is one more reason to support Lanka even though Lank would always support Myanmar on the Rohingya issue..:laugh:

ok i stand corrected. but there is a reason i said that on this forum :)

Can you elaborate what is the reason - for I am neither of the three - dalit, periyar supporter or christian. Yet I support the cause of Tamil Eezham.

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed ?

For a jamati that is one more reason to support Lanka even though Lank would always support Myanmar on the Rohingya issue..:laugh:

Can you elaborate what is the reason - for I am neither of the three - dalit, periyar supporter or christian. Yet I support the cause of Tamil Eezham.
the above 3 groups want to keep the LttE issue alive not for any love of theirbnrothers but only because of political brownies within TN. they dont deserve any sympathy from indians.
second i dont support tamil cause because the ltte were ruthless trrorists who did not want a middle ground. they had links to Pak based terorists and maoists. there is no way such an organization or the cause they espuse will get any support from me.
third, the so called reasons for which ltte has taken up arms, has been going on in TN for decades where the so called forward castes have been shut out of govt and educational institutions by the LTTE sympathisers. Hav eyou seen any violence in TN?

finaly the reason why I mention it is because th thick fellows in this forum always think that TN wants to break away from India, and try to support such kind of nonsense.but what they are stooopid o realise is that LTTe is not supported by India but LTTe is supported only by a section of Tamils.the very same who those guys think would wantt o separate from india. so a s;ap on their faces as the pak1s want is a nice thing to have. :)

Back
Top Bottom