What's new

Musharraf’s book-launch in September

7c7f18c0ec9bab7af54c6e9bb3b5c29d.jpg

Pakistan's press shows little enthusiasm for President Musharraf's autobiography - in which he sought to explain the reasons behind his decision to end support for the Taleban following the 11 September attacks in 2001 - with several papers questioning both the contents and the timing of its publication.
One Islamist daily accuses Gen Musharraf of deliberately embellishing parts of the book only to boost its sales. Elsewhere, fears are expressed that some of the president's remarks could provoke hatred in religious circles and play into the hands of Pakistan's "enemies".
A commentator in the country's most widely-read English-language paper argues that Gen Musharraf's revelations were "stunts" which can only add to the general "gloom" in the country.

AUSAF

President Musharraf has revealed in his book "In the Line of Fire" that the CIA gave Pakistan a reward worth millions of dollars for capturing more than 350 terror suspects and that Dr Abdul Qadeer Khan sold nuclear centrifuges to North Korea, Libya and other countries only to earn money and satisfy his greed. The book is an incomplete story. It seems that the author has filled his writing with suspense, action and fiction only to sell a record number of copies.

ISLAM

The revelations may have a far-reaching impact on Pakistan's internal and external politics as well as on Mr Musharraf's personal life and integrity. He has confessed to receiving millions of dollars in return for handing over al-Qaeda people to the US. On the other hand, he has used humiliating language against religious scholars or "mullahs". These two points could provoke hatred against Musharraf among religious circles. It's unlikely that the book will be popular.

NAWA-I-WAQT

Mr Musharraf has set out "the out-of-the-box solution" for the Kashmir dispute. The people of Kashmir have not sacrificed 100,000 lives only to have Kashmir divided into four parts and the biggest part of it being handed over to India...
Whatever [he] has written regarding the international situation, he has prepared a long charge sheet against Pakistan and passed it on to its enemies. This will make it difficult for Pakistan to defend itself on many issues.

PAKISTAN

Mr Musharraf says Dr Khan may have been involved in the transfer of nuclear secrets to India. What supreme interest can be served by expressing doubts over the national hero as this can only lead to provoking unrest? Dr Khan should also be given an opportunity to clarify his position.

THE NEWS

On the issue of Dr Khan's personality, the president makes some telling but harsh remarks. He said the man, publicly perceived as the father of Pakistan's atomic bomb, possessed "a great talent for self-promotion and publicity and led the public to believe that he was building the bomb almost single-handedly... What is interesting, or should one say ironic, about these remarks is that even if the president's opinion of Dr Khan was accepted as being close to the truth, much of the reason why the country thought he was the father of the country's nuclear programme is because of the way he was projected by the government-owned media and also indirectly by the military itself.

THE NATION

Although Gen Musharraf is known for a candid expression of his views, the fact of incumbency must have weighed on him as a restraining factor lest his revelations and assessments have an adverse bearing on relations with powerful countries whose feathers had best not be ruffled in the interest of the state. There could also be reservations, for entirely different reasons, about the internal issues the book deals with.

DAWN

It is, of course, immaterial whether or not (US Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage) threw in the Stone Age reference. It may well have been invented by ... Musharraf to convey the gist of America's uncompromising attitude at the time. The minor controversy stirred by Musharraf's decision to bring up the matter during his US visit has provoked greater interest in his autobiography, which suggests the stunt has served its purpose. But while the timing of the "revelation" may have been unexpected, it is difficult to fathom the expressions of surprise and/or alarm it has elicited from various quarters ... There is too much darkness in the land already, even when the wattage is undimmed. Neither "In the Line of Fire" nor Musharraf's protracted US tour will reduce the gloom.

Wednesday, 27 September, 2006

New Delhi: Two days into its release, Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf's autobiography has become a runaway hit here, thanks to the controversy it generated because of his remarks on the Kargil conflict, the Agra summit and India's nuclear programme.
In the Line of Fire is number two on the bestsellers list of Amazon.Com, the biggest online store, and in India, the publishers claim to have sold out the first consignment of 8,000 copies that reached here on Tuesday.

"In the first go, we brought 8,000 copies but they have been sold out. We have a repeat order for 4,000 copies, which will be available in India by next week," said Rahul Srivastava of Simon & Schuster, the publishers.
The book is creating waves on several online bookstores, emerging a close second to Noam Chomsky's "Hegemony or Survival" which tops most charts. On Amazon, it jumped to the second slot from number six, where it was placed on Tuesday.
"Already all the top shots and policy-makers have placed orders for the book. It will be very difficult to find it in the market," said Sharad Mohan of West Land, one of the book's distributors here.
The English edition is priced at Rs 950. "Five thousand copies of the Hindi edition will also be available here by next week and that is being priced at Rs 395," said Srivastava. "The demand is very huge for the book. Out of 50 copies stocked by us, most have already been sold out," said a spokesperson of the Full Circle store. And the demand is not just from big metros -- there is also a rush for the book in smaller cities like Ludhiana, Lucknow and Dehradun, said Mohan.

http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=14299954

Since when did the General care about the constitution? He can and has changed it at will to suit his personal needs.

The guy has lost all credibility in India, especially among the media that Asim gives so much importance too. He has become Pervez "Book Salesman" Musharraf.

People in here in South Block are having a huge laugh. ;)

PS: South Block is the place in New Delhi where the PMO and important Ministry's are located.

WHY R U SO WORRIED ABT PAKISTAN WE PAKISTANIS KNOW VERY WELL HOW TO RUN OUR COUNTRY. U BETTER MIND UR OWN BUSINESS:angry:

I m going to get my copy of the book tomorrow. Its quite expensive but i think the book is worth it.

WHY R U SO WORRIED ABT PAKISTAN WE PAKISTANIS KNOW VERY WELL HOW TO RUN OUR COUNTRY. U BETTER MIND UR OWN BUSINESS:angry:
Shahin,

I understand your anger but this is an internatrional forum and everybody is entitled to have his/her own opinion and to share it with others, thats what's a forum is for.

We allow heated debates, insults however will not be tollerated.
Don't worry and enjoy!

Neo

Why do we fail to give due credit where it should be given?

• Name one political leader which would had "BALLS" ( in case of BIBI errr .... ) to take the stand which Mushraf did ?
  • Name one political leader who in your opinion is not corrupt?
  • Don't you agree that from PR point of view, Pakistan is much better than say 20 years before?

Musharraf is as corrupt as other leaders.

steel mill anyone?

i am not going to say he is or he is not .... but lets comapre

What he has done for the nation in the duration he has been there and comapre it to what the two morons ( bibi and nawaz ) did during their rule combined

we tend to forget one vital thing ... infact we do remember it but only for bashing, which is that Musharaf has been there in flesh and blood fighting for our nation ...

Flame me ( and i know i would be subject of flames ) but Musharaf is the best thing that happened for Pakistan in past few decades

Why do we fail to give due credit where it should be given?

Agreed lets give him credit for good and critisize him for wrong doings

• Name one political leader which would had "BALLS" ( in case of BIBI errr .... ) to take the stand which Mushraf did ?

Which stand are you talking about exactly

• Name one political leader who in your opinion is not corrupt?

Transparency international which so far has been used by the Mushy Government often as an indicator of its economic progress has branded Mushy's second government as the most corrupt ones in the history of Pakistan

• Don't you agree that from PR point of view, Pakistan is much better than say 20 years before?

I disagree. Whatever PR we are enjoying is only bacause of our cooperation with US in WoT. This would all end with the end of war

i am not going to say he is or he is not .... but lets comapre

What he has done for the nation in the duration he has been there and comapre it to what the two morons ( bibi and nawaz ) did during their rule combined

BB was corrupt and has many cases against herself and her husband.

On the other hand the government often refers to the corruption by NS but never gives any evidence in this regard. NS corruption charges are centered upon baseless charges

But KSE crash, cement crisis, sugar crisis, Habib bank privatization, ERRA, PSM privatization and PTCL privatization is a reality of today and wiill be haunting Pakistan and Mushy for years to come.

If after all this you still consider Mushy honest than BB and NS then God help you

we tend to forget one vital thing ... infact we do remember it but only for bashing, which is that Musharaf has been there in flesh and blood fighting for our nation ...

Flame me ( and i know i would be subject of flames ) but Musharaf is the best thing that happened for Pakistan in past few decades

I say he is the worst that has happened to Pakistan after 1971

Agreed lets give him credit for good and critisize him for wrong doings

Which stand are you talking about exactly

i dont think so we poor citizens have any other option but to see the familiar ugly faces again and again ( and again ) until and unless a "dictator" takes over giving a "fresh new look" ( for loong time ... oh well thats another story )

Transparency international which so far has been used by the Mushy Government often as an indicator of its economic progress has branded Mushy's second government as the most corrupt ones in the history of Pakistan

Apart from that news article have you actually seen the whole report, i don't argue with you about facts and figures from TI but than again i think so you are ignoring other facts and figures as well

http://www.transparency.org/news_ro...c/2006/2006_08_11_ti_pakistan_national_survey

That is the link by the way :)

BB was corrupt and has many cases against herself and her husband.

On the other hand the government often refers to the corruption by NS but never gives any evidence in this regard. NS corruption charges are centered upon baseless charges

I will only refer to TI's report which you mentioned in your report, for sake of debate if facts and figures are correct and Musharaf's govt is second most corrupt govt than what about Nawaz? are we being perceptive about someone?

And if you think that NS is / was angel than GOD HELP US ALL :D

1. Police, Power, Judiciary and Land are the mot corrupt departments, and Taxation, Customs & Health have improved their ranking since 2002.

This is quote from the report, one might want to notice IMPROVED, yeah not fixed but improved, still a move towards the brighter side of things don't you think? i am sure you must have heard of "Journey of thousand miles begins with a single step"

4. Majority (70%) of Respondents feel that the present Privatization Policy will minimise corruption.

Again from TI report, majority of people think that privatization will actually IMPROVE the situation, yet you are pointing out privtization as one of the disasters?

Baqai,

Do you have any idea of what happened in the privatisations that took place especially that of PSM. If not then have alook at those

Arre calm down uncle ji. What id the worse that can happen even if I talk? It is for you guys to vote next year (hopefully).

baqai said:
i dont think so we poor citizens have any other option but to see the familiar ugly faces again and again ( and again ) until and unless a "dictator" takes over giving a "fresh new look" ( for loong time ... oh well thats another story )

This is no beauty contest but decide for yourself whoz beautiful, handsome and ugly

IMHO its

Beautiful
93baafd465bd372f7264dcfe46c62a17.gif

Handsome

Ugly
95bd184256b7d3cf808404a1f0b2755c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom