What's new

Mumbai Attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
how about the terrorist that your government is hosting in your own country? for example the TYC.

Yes. Any action against a elected democratic govt or innocent people in the name of freedom fighting or terrorists should be hanged.

Sophisticated Attacks, but Al Qaeda Link Disputed

HONG KONG — They came wearing black hoods, firing automatic weapons and throwing grenades. They took hostages and attacked two hotels, a café, a train station and other popular and undefended “soft targets.”

Who are they? The answer to that question remained in dispute Thursday as security officials and experts attempted to untangle the few clues to the attackers’ likely identity. But there was a general agreement that the nature of the attacks seemed a marked departure from other recent terror assaults in India. In earlier attacks, assailants used much cruder tactics, for instance leaving bombs planted on bicycles in crowded markets.

This time, the assault was “uniquely disturbing”, said Sajjan Gohel, a security expert in London, because it seemed directed at foreigners, involved hostage-taking and was aimed at multiple “soft, symbolic targets.” The attacks “aimed to create maximum terror and human carnage and damage the economy,” he said in a telephone interview.

The hostage-taking was the first involving an Indian terrorist group and affecting foreigners since the 1999 hijacking of an Air India flight to Afghanistan.

The identity of the Mumbai attackers remained a mystery.

An e-mail message to Indian media outlets that claimed responsibility for the bloody attacks in Mumbai on Wednesday night said the militants were from the Deccan Mujahedeen. Almost universally, experts and intelligence officials said that name was unknown.

Deccan is a neighborhood of the Indian city of Hyderabad. The word also describes the middle and south of India, which is dominated by the Deccan Plateau. Mujahedeen is the commonly used Arabic word for holy fighters. But the combination of the two, said Mr. Gohel in London, is a “front name. This group is nonexistent.”

Some global terrorism experts with experience in South Asia said that, based on the tactics used in the attacks, the group was probably not linked to Al Qaeda — although that assertion was challenged by other analysts.

“It’s even unclear whether it’s a real group or not,” said Bruce Hoffman, a professor at the School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University and the author of the book “Inside Terrorism.”

That theory was echoed by an Indian security official who spoke in return for anonymity because he was not authorized to be identified and who said the name suggested ties to a group called Indian Mujahedeen, which has been implicated in a string of bombing attacks in India killing around 200 people this year alone.

On Sept. 15, an e-mail published in Indian newspapers and said to have been sent by representatives of Indian Muhajedeen threatened potential “deadly attacks” in Mumbai. The message warned counter-terrorism officials in the city that “you are already on our hit-list and this time very, very seriously.”

Several high-ranking law enforcement officials, including the chief of the antiterrorism squad and a commissioner of police, were reported killed.

Christine Fair, senior political scientist and a South Asia expert at the RAND Corporation, was careful to say that the identity of the terrorists could not yet be known. But she insisted the style of the attacks and the targets in Mumbai suggested the militants were likely to be Indian Muslims and not linked to Al Qaeda or Lashkar-e-Taiba, another violent South Asian terrorist group.

“There’s absolutely nothing Al Qaeda-like about it,” she said of the attack. “Did you see any suicide bombers? And there are no fingerprints of Lashkar. They don’t do hostage-taking and they don’t do grenades.” By contrast, Mr. Gohel in London said “the fingerprints point to an Islamic Al Qaeda-affiliated terrorist group.”

Mr. Hoffman he said the attacks, which he called “tactical, sophisticated and coordinated,” perhaps pointed to a broader organization behind the perpetrators. The Indian Prime Minister, Manmohan Singh, said the attacks probably had “external linkages.”

The Indian security official said the attackers likely had ties to Lashkar-e-Taiba, a guerrilla group run by Pakistani intelligence in the conflict with India in the disputed territory of Kashmir. India blamed that group for a suicide assault on its Parliament by gunmen in December, 2001 that led to a perilous military standoff with Pakistan.

The Indian official also suggested the attackers might have emerged from an outlawed militant group of Islamic students. Photographs from security cameras showed some youthful attackers carrying assault rifles and smiling as they launched the operation.

“There are a lot of very, very angry Muslims in India,” Ms. Fair said, “The economic disparities are startling and India has been very slow to publicly embrace its rising Muslim problem. You cannot put lipstick on this pig. This is a major domestic political challenge for India.”

“The public political face of India says, “Our Muslims have not been radicalized.’ But the Indian intelligence apparatus knows that’s not true. India’s Muslim communities are being sucked into the global landscape of Islamist jihad,” she said. “Indians will have a strong incentive to link this to Al Qaeda. ‘Al Qaeda’s in your toilet!’ But this is a domestic issue. This is not India’s 9/11.”

That, too, was disputed by the Indian official. “This was Mumbai’s 9/11,” he said. The consequences of the attack, the official said, may be to disrupt any overtures to Pakistan and to ignite a backlash against Indian Muslims.

Reflecting a widespread assessment in Pakistan, Moonis Ahmar, a professor of international relations at Karachi University, called the attacks a well-thought out conspiracy designed to destabilize relations between India and Pakistan and sabotage efforts at reconciliation.

Hindus make up about 80 percent of India’s 1.13 billion population and Muslims 13.4 percent. Experts disputed the complexity of the operation.

Mr. Hoffman said: “These aren’t just a bunch of radical guys coming together to cause mayhem.”

“This takes a different skill set. It doesn’t take much skill to make a bomb. This is not just pressing a button as a suicide bomber and dying. You don’t learn this over the Internet.”

But Ms. Fair did not agree that the attacks on Wednesday necessarily required deep planning and training.

“This wasn’t something that required a logistical mastermind,” she said. “These were not hardened targets. A huge train station with zero security. Two hotels with no security, both owned by Indians. Leopold’s Café. How hard is it, really? It’s not rocket science.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/28/world/asia/28group.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&hp

What do you want to believe attacks never happened ?
News of terrorist arrested has been out since early morning If you read my earlier post investigation agencies will surely grill him but he may not be the mastermind behind the attacks.

Goodperson; sir
it would be very funny that, if that "arrested terrorist" accepts , that he is from pakistan!
how about CIA's role in this , funniest terrorists acts, lets disscuss it?:agree:

Yes. Any action against a elected democratic govt or innocent people in the name of freedom fighting or terrorists should be hanged.

but your government is hosting the TYC.

I would like to support your war on terror. I would like to see more people to support your war on terror. however when I think about your dual standard on terror, I have to say : you got all these crap on yourself.

Tell me the news channel you believe i will get you the link.

You guys don't believe Indian journalists and american. so which one you believe ?

I am not saying I don't believe American media. I am telling your that CNN/BBC/Foxnews are all highly biased. they are big media outlet there, but they are not the entire free media we have.

Please stop posting anything from Foxnews, that is the worst. and their proven record has been just presented to you in that interview video. This is something you can't deny. This is something no one can ever deny. Fox news proved itself to be highly biased.

Here is my gut feeling about this episode (don't ask me for evidence because I am saying upfront that it is a gut feel):

I think the Pakistani establishment would have been smart enough not to attack the Jewish Chabad center. So I don't think that this operation was officially approved (unlike the 1993 bombings by Tiger Memon and Dawood, which probably had the bessings of the establishment).

However, I also think it very likely that the arming, training, financing was done by organizations like the LeT, although some of the foot-soldiers may have been Indian recruits. (For those who deny that this happens I will remind them of the Ishrat Jehan case of 2004.)

Yet the Pakistani establishment is certainly not blameless because these Jihadi organizations are supported at least partly by the establishment.

according to Jason Burke of the Guardian, a terrorist expert says it may take 3-6 months to get to the bottom of this terrorist attack or maybe never due to the complexity of this incident.

ABU ISMAIL From FARIDKOT PAKISTAN IS THE PROOF.

every time pakistan asked for proof .

Now this time pakistan will take action If he is handed over to PAK ?

ABU ISMAIL From FARIDKOT PAKISTAN IS THE PROOF.

yeah, we finally got something which we can agree with each other. He is the proof. he used some very illegal and stupid manner to tell the world how Muslims are treated badly in India.

I don't support what he did and I believe he should be locked up for life if he had his hand on this attack.

Reported gun battle at Taj, another explosion heard.
I thought Taj was secured. :confused:

I am not saying I don't believe American media. I am telling your that CNN/BBC/Foxnews are all highly biased. they are big media outlet there, but they are not the entire free media we have.

Please stop posting anything from Foxnews, that is the worst. and their proven record has been just presented to you in that interview video. This is something you can't deny. This is something no one can ever deny. Fox news proved itself to be highly biased.

Can you post some links from your free media ? They have one or they don't.
Or its just only on Paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom