What's new

Mumbai Attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indo-Asian News Service
Chicago, March 19, 2010
First Published: 00:26 IST(19/3/2010)

To avoid a possible death sentence and extradition to India, Pakistani American terror suspect David Coleman Headley has pleaded guilty to a dozen federal terrorism charges, admitting his role in planning the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks.

In pleading guilty on Thursday to all 12 counts that were brought against him in December and were repeated in a subsequent indictment in January, Headley, 49, admitted that he attended training camps in Pakistan operated by Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), a designated foreign terrorist organisation, on five separate occasions between 2002 and 2005.

Prosecutors said in late 2005, Headley received instructions from three members of LeT to travel to India to conduct surveillance.

Son of a Pakistani father and an American mother, he changed his name from Daood Gilani in 2006 to visit India five times to scout targets for the Nov 26 Mumbai attacks that killed 164 people including six Americans.

Appearing before US District Judge Harry Leinenweber in Federal Court here, Headley dressed in an orange jump suit with his hands and legs shackled also pleaded guilty to planning an attack on a Danish newspaper that had published cartoons lampooning the Prophet Mohammad.

Headley's co-accused, Tahawwur Hussain Rana, 49, a Pakistani-Canadian living in Chicago, was indicted in January on three counts of conspiracy to provide material support to the Mumbai attacks; conspiracy to provide material support to the Denmark plot; and providing material support to Lashkar.

He has pleaded not guilty and remains in federal custody in Chicago while awaiting trial.

Headley, Prosecutors said has cooperated with the Government since he was arrested on Oct 3, 2009, and the plea agreement states that he "has provided substantial assistance to the criminal investigation, and also has provided information of significant intelligence value."

In light of Headley's past cooperation and expected future cooperation, the Attorney General Eric Holder has authorised the US Attorney in Chicago not to seek the death penalty against Headley, prosecutors said.

"When directed by the US Attorney's office, Headley must fully and truthfully participate in any debriefings for the purpose of gathering intelligence or national security information," they said.

"Today's guilty plea is a crucial step forward in our efforts to achieve justice for the more than 160 people who lost their lives in the Mumbai terrorist attacks. Working with our domestic and international partners, we will not rest until all those responsible for the Mumbai attacks and the terror plot in Denmark are held accountable," Holder said.

"Not only has the criminal justice system achieved a guilty plea in this case, but David Headley is now providing us valuable intelligence about terrorist activities. As this case demonstrates, we must continue to use every tool available to defeat terrorism both at home and abroad."

Headley pleads guilty to terror charges; escapes death penalty- Hindustan Times

Waiting for Pakistan's response.
I wonder what they name this guy. Deepak Sharma from Gujarat???

Great work by the investigators. But its all going to go in vain. Pak is not interested in arresting the responsible or stopping terror training in their territory.

All my hope lies with USA now. I hope they start cleaning Pak just like Afghanistan and Iraq.

For those who'll want to twist my statements, clean does NOT mean to kill. Just remove the terrorists.

If we are putting a hope on USA we are deluding ourselves.

There are simply too many US interest associated with Pakistan. They can not go for this action. If India only manages to talk to Headley, I guess this would be enough.

As for Pakistan, they are facing consequences of their policies.

The U.S has said that India will only be able to interrogate Headley

India says it will work with America to figure out how and when it can interrogate David Coleman Headley, the Pakistani-American who has, in a plea bargain in America, accepted that he helped plan and execute 26/11.

Home Minister P Chidambaram said he is not certain about whether India's intelligence officials will be allowed to directly question Headley. According to Headley's plea bargain, Chidambaram pointed out, "He will either testify in a proceeding or allow himself to be interrogated. There is a distinction," he said, pointing out that India has already sent questions to America for Headley.

Indo-Asian News Service
Chicago, March 19, 2010
First Published: 00:26 IST(19/3/2010)

To avoid a possible death sentence and extradition to India, Pakistani American terror suspect David Coleman Headley has pleaded guilty to a dozen federal terrorism charges, admitting his role in planning the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks.

In pleading guilty on Thursday to all 12 counts that were brought against him in December and were repeated in a subsequent indictment in January, Headley, 49, admitted that he attended training camps in Pakistan operated by Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), a designated foreign terrorist organisation, on five separate occasions between 2002 and 2005.

Prosecutors said in late 2005, Headley received instructions from three members of LeT to travel to India to conduct surveillance.

Son of a Pakistani father and an American mother, he changed his name from Daood Gilani in 2006 to visit India five times to scout targets for the Nov 26 Mumbai attacks that killed 164 people including six Americans.

Appearing before US District Judge Harry Leinenweber in Federal Court here, Headley dressed in an orange jump suit with his hands and legs shackled also pleaded guilty to planning an attack on a Danish newspaper that had published cartoons lampooning the Prophet Mohammad.

Headley's co-accused, Tahawwur Hussain Rana, 49, a Pakistani-Canadian living in Chicago, was indicted in January on three counts of conspiracy to provide material support to the Mumbai attacks; conspiracy to provide material support to the Denmark plot; and providing material support to Lashkar.

He has pleaded not guilty and remains in federal custody in Chicago while awaiting trial.

Headley, Prosecutors said has cooperated with the Government since he was arrested on Oct 3, 2009, and the plea agreement states that he "has provided substantial assistance to the criminal investigation, and also has provided information of significant intelligence value."

In light of Headley's past cooperation and expected future cooperation, the Attorney General Eric Holder has authorised the US Attorney in Chicago not to seek the death penalty against Headley, prosecutors said.

"When directed by the US Attorney's office, Headley must fully and truthfully participate in any debriefings for the purpose of gathering intelligence or national security information," they said.

"Today's guilty plea is a crucial step forward in our efforts to achieve justice for the more than 160 people who lost their lives in the Mumbai terrorist attacks. Working with our domestic and international partners, we will not rest until all those responsible for the Mumbai attacks and the terror plot in Denmark are held accountable," Holder said.

"Not only has the criminal justice system achieved a guilty plea in this case, but David Headley is now providing us valuable intelligence about terrorist activities. As this case demonstrates, we must continue to use every tool available to defeat terrorism both at home and abroad."

Headley pleads guilty to terror charges; escapes death penalty- Hindustan Times

I don't think mod will allow discussion on this topic bcoz similer thread already closed by him..(Perhaps aaj unka mood kharab hain )

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/51133-headley-attended-five-terror-camps-pakistan.html

along with

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-...e-worlds-most-educated-people-2030-sibal.html

:undecided:

Last edited:

Great work by the investigators. But its all going to go in vain. Pak is not interested in arresting the responsible or stopping terror training in their territory.

All my hope lies with USA now. I hope they start cleaning Pak just like Afghanistan and Iraq.

For those who'll want to twist my statements, clean does NOT mean to kill. Just remove the terrorists.

:) what reply you want. He is an American citizen not Pakistani citizen.

Secondly if your govt failed to show guts in asking US to extradit him its not our problem.

And the lastest is US managed to save her man from extradition to Bharat :P and also from death penalty.

:bunny:

Reactions: pkd
The U.S has said that India will only be able to interrogate Headley

India says it will work with America to figure out how and when it can interrogate David Coleman Headley, the Pakistani-American who has, in a plea bargain in America, accepted that he helped plan and execute 26/11.

Home Minister P Chidambaram said he is not certain about whether India's intelligence officials will be allowed to directly question Headley. According to Headley's plea bargain, Chidambaram pointed out, "He will either testify in a proceeding or allow himself to be interrogated. There is a distinction," he said, pointing out that India has already sent questions to America for Headley.

:) My personal opinion from start had been that US wont allow India any direct access to Headly neither she will extradit him to India.

Now there is a BIG difference between interogating him directly and sending your question paper to US for headly.

Above all US had managed this arrangment of going back on his plea of not guilty :) this is not without any reason.

:) My personal opinion from start had been that US wont allow India any direct access to Headly neither she will extradit him to India.

Now there is a BIG difference between interogating him directly and sending your question paper to US for headly.

Above all US had managed this arrangment of going back on his plea of not guilty :) this is not without any reason.

This man has served in the Drug enforcement administration besides other shady orgnisations. Such men know & carry far too much information for any country to extradite.

Either way, what is of more relevance is the information & vindication of the stand India took all along on the planning,control, funding & execution of the Mumbai attack.

:) what reply you want. He is an American citizen not Pakistani citizen.

Secondly if your govt failed to show guts in asking US to extradit him its not our problem.

And the lastest is US managed to save her man from extradition to Bharat :P and also from death penalty.

:bunny:

:disagree:
Do you represent Pakistan here? I am waiting for Pakistan's official response on his statement that he has visited terror camps in Pakistan.

Secondly, about the guts thing, we don't need him in India. We just want him punished if you understand the difference like we want Hafiz Saeed to be punished, not necessarily handed over to India.

Headley is being treated like a criminal, the way he should be. Not like in Pakistan, where they enjoy special rights.

If Pakistan has enough guts, stop US from bombing in Pak. Then talk about our guts.
A poor attempt to flame...

Jagji,
I do not think Pakistan is going to ever act. The way they have approached our request says it all. They insist that that every crime should be proved conclusively, that is not possible when the criminal is not in your country. Now I will not depend on USA to great extent either, they will look for their own agenda first.
We can have corporation from USA in form of intelligence sharing, equipments, training etc.

What we should do is make our anti terror system strong.
Nothing can be substitute of self reliance.

You will agree with me that most of these attacks that happened in India either can be averted if we were seriously working hard or damage could have been reduced.

Do you know on night of 26/11 we knew for 2 hours which exact room the terrorist were, but could not neutralize them since we did not had basic weapons like AK available with police. (That I feel is shame on our security forces, I mean police here).

We need to ramp up our police for to be 21st century force, and our friends in J&K police can help us. One other mistake on 26/11 was not calling help from J&K police, I have learned that their experience is invaluable.

:disagree:
Do you represent Pakistan here? I am waiting for Pakistan's official response on his statement that he has visited terror camps in Pakistan.

Secondly, about the guts thing, we don't need him in India. We just want him punished if you understand the difference like we want Hafiz Saeed to be punished, not necessarily handed over to India.

Headley is being treated like a criminal, the way he should be. Not like in Pakistan, where they enjoy special rights.

If Pakistan has enough guts, stop US from bombing in Pak. Then talk about our guts.
A poor attempt to flame...

we dont speak for non-Pakistanis :) why you want any official statment for a US citizen??

US had a big role in Mumbai attacks and you need to check all aspects. Headly was arrested in connection with danish artist's attack case and now he had been linked to Mumbai. And oh he had also been asked to plead guilty why ???

Reactions: pkd
This man has served in the Drug enforcement administration besides other shady orgnisations. Such men know & carry far too much information for any country to extradite.

Either way, what is of more relevance is the information & vindication of the stand India took all along on the planning,control, funding & execution of the Mumbai attack.

:agree::agree::agree: he had been used very nicely. Indo-Pak tension was nicely arosed, US played nice role by coming closer to India and maintaining pressure on Pakistan as well viz a viz Afghanistan.

At the end job nicely done, Ghun bhi pess gaya aur gehoon bhi bach gaya,

If you keep aside opposition to Pakistan and look into the entire project you will come to know why US kept quit when it had the information about the attack beforehand?

India can question Headley on American soil: US​
Chicago, Mar 19 (PTI)

Pakistani American terrorist David Headley can now be directly questioned by Indian investigators after his confession in a court in Chicago that he was involved in the Mumbai terror attacks, although he will not be extradited to India.

The US, which has so far denied India the right to question Headley, arrested by the FBI in October last year, said he has agreed to ''fully and truthfully'' participate in this process which has to be undertaken only on US soil.

Headley, accused of plotting the 26/11 Mumbai attacks at the behest of Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Toiba and conspiring to target a Danish newspaper, last night pleaded guilty to all terror charges before a US court here.

Under the plea bargain, he has escaped death penalty and got away with a life sentence. He also cannot be extradited from the US.

"When directed by the US Attorney’s Office, Headley must fully and truthfully participate in any debriefings for the purpose of gathering intelligence or national security information," the US Department of Justice has said in a statement.

"Headley further agrees that, when directed by the United States Attorney’s Office, he will fully and truthfully testify in any foreign judicial proceedings held in the United States by way of deposition, video-conferencing or letters rogatory," the statement said soon after the 49-year- old Chicago resident pleaded guilty on all 12 charges against him.

Headley's lawyer John Theis told reporters after the over 30-minute hearing held before US District Judge Harry Leinenweber that "he has agreed to allow himself to be interviewed by foreign governments in this country" as part of the agreement.

India, which had pressed for the maximum death penalty to Headley, can now approach the US to directly question him.

His admission of being trained in Pakistan terror camps nails Islamabad's lie that such camps were non-existence.

Headley faces six counts of conspiracy involving bombing public places in India, murdering and maiming persons and providing material support to foreign terrorist plots and LeT; and six counts of aiding and abetting the murder of six US citizens in the 26/11 attacks that killed 166 people.

Under the plea agreement, Headley cannot be extradited to India, Pakistan or Denmark.
"Headley has agreed to not only continue his cooperation with the government, which he has been doing since October, but also to make himself available for interviews by other governments in this country," Headley's attorney John Theis told reporters after the over 30-minute hearing held before US District Judge Harry Leinenweber.

Headley, who had pleaded not guilty on January 14 to the charges against him, did a U-turn in the 35-page plea agreement where he pleaded guilty to all the charges.

Headley can be directly quizzed by India on American soil: US

Last edited:
we dont speak for non-Pakistanis :) why you want any official statment for a US citizen??

US had a big role in Mumbai attacks and you need to check all aspects. Headly was arrested in connection with danish artist's attack case and now he had been linked to Mumbai. And oh he had also been asked to plead guilty why ???

Now you no longer belive in the inside job of RAW and Hindu extrimists in mumbai attack??:what:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom