What's new

Mumbai Attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
India will have “full access” to information on Headley: U.S.​
PTI
NEW DELHI, March 19, 2010​
ad3de1ab1b6bff8ff01afc8ba3dc0249.jpg

U.S. Assistant Secretary for South and Central Asian Affairs Robert Blake assured India that it would have “full access” to David Headley

India will have “full access” to all the information on terror suspect David Headley, who pleaded guilty before a Chicago court to all 12 terror charges including the 26/11 Mumbai attacks, U.S. Assistant Secretary for South and Central Asian Affairs Robert Blake said here on Friday.

However, he said he was not in a position to answer if an Indian team could go to the US to question Headley.

”... But I think you will have full access to all the information and whether or not an Indian team itself can go there, I cannot answer that question because I was not in the US during that period but I encourage you to be in touch with our justice department,” Mr. Blake said.

Mr. Blake, who is on a visit to Afghanistan and India, said Headley’s confession had showed how the threat of LeT had “grown significantly” and asked Pakistan to work more on that front.

He said Pakistan has made “important progress on the issue of terror but there is still work to be done.”

”....We still think that there needs to be progress on LeT in particular. The Headley case in our view illustrates the increasing global scope and ambition of LeT and therefore, the need for all of our countries to take the LeT threat seriously and cooperate with each other.”

India may quiz Headley across table

India today said that a “lighter” sentence of less than 20 years for the US terror accused David Headley will be a matter of concern and Government will initiate the process for getting him interrogated “across the table“.

Government sources also fear that there could be a hidden deal between Pakistani-American Headley and the US Government under which he could get a lighter sentence of much less than 20 years after which he may even get a new identity and be free under the witness protection scheme in the US.

While being not much optimistic about getting Headley extradited to India, officials said that National Investigation Agency (NIA) will file a charge sheet against Headley and his accomplice Pakistani-Canadian Tahawwur Rana to enable his “questioning across the table” in the case.

After his appearance in a Chicago court yesterday under the plea bargain agreement, the US Attorney General has said that Headley as agreed to “fully and truthfully testify in any foreign judicial proceedings held in the US by way of deposition, video conferencing or Letters Rogatory”.

The NIA has registered a case against Headley and Rana for allegedly conspiring to wage a war against the country and under various sections of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.

Government is watching with caution the plea bargain made by Headley under which if he continues to cooperate fully he could press for a downward impeachment, implying lesser punishment.

The sources said that the Government has evidence of offences committed by Headley in India besides the 12 counts for which he has pleaded guilty.

If need be, the security agencies can register a fresh case and seek his extradition in case the punishment was much below the expected lines, a senior official said.

The official said one of the gains of the case is that the US has now accepted that there were “players” other than the LeT terrorists in the conspiracy behind Mumbai terror strikes.

India has been maintaining that regular Pakistani army personnel have been involved in the Mumbai attack conspiracy and recently a dossier on two Pakistani Army majors in this connection was handed over to Pakistan Foreign Secretary Salman Bashir.

The Hindu : News / International : India will have “full access” to information on Headley: U.S.

They should open an University of Terrorism in Pakistan where these tarrorist from all over the world can come and get trained. You earn some revenue as well.

Now don't frown on me as some one said Headley is an American citizen still he got his education in terrorism from Pakistan.

:disagree:
Do you represent Pakistan here? I am waiting for Pakistan's official response on his statement that he has visited terror camps in Pakistan.

Secondly, about the guts thing, we don't need him in India. We just want him punished if you understand the difference like we want Hafiz Saeed to be punished, not necessarily handed over to India.

Headley is being treated like a criminal, the way he should be. Not like in Pakistan, where they enjoy special rights.

If Pakistan has enough guts, stop US from bombing in Pak. Then talk about our guts.
A poor attempt to flame...

Just agree to jana david headley aka Daood Sayed Gilani is not a pakistani born american citizen

Also agree he has never traveled to Pakistan and met Ilyas kashmiri and all...

Also just agree he changed his name to a Christian name because he loved Christianity more.

Agree to her that he didn't confess to US , and its just a american propaganda..

Agree with her when she says Us hasnt yet given India authority to question headley..

Agree with her that headley was just for vacation visiting India and visiting the spots of the blasts were just pure co incidence.

Agree with her when she says Pakistan has nothing to do with her.. maybe she is right headley being a video shop earlier may have planned to bomb Indian cities because he hated bollywood movies.

Agree with her when she denies he never attended the Cadet College Hasan Abdal, a preparatory boys' high school for the military.

In 1998 he was convicted of conspiring to smuggle heroin into the country from Pakistan. After his arrest, he provided much information about his Pakistani drug contacts and got less than two years in jail. He later went to Pakistan to conduct undercover surveillance operations for the Drug Enforcement Administration. In 2002 and three times in 2003, he attended Lashkar-e-Taiba training camps in Pakistan.
The source is Wikipedia( biased to India ) so don't bother.

And finally agree that he didn't confess at all as he is a very distinguishable US citizen.
:kiss3:

:) what reply you want. He is an American citizen not Pakistani citizen.

Secondly if your govt failed to show guts in asking US to extradit him its not our problem.

And the lastest is US managed to save her man from extradition to Bharat :P and also from death penalty.

:bunny:

Jana.....why dont we concentrate on the "key issues" instead of digressing to the usual....Non-state actor ploy?

Remember, Headley visited terror camps between 2002 and 2005 in Pakistan and scouted India for possible targets in 2006. The attack happened in 2008, dont you think its safe to assume that these terror camps which Musharraf and your govt claimed had been closed are obviously still very much operating....

Why dont we ever hear you speak or support Pakistan Army targeting these camps based on info Headley provides? Shouldnt that be a first step towards normalizing relations with India? Isnt that what India has always said was their intention to seek justice for 26/11?

Yet from your tone, it seems you are almost defending Headley......
I think there is very little to deny that your country is being used as a breeding ground for terror more than a freedom movement.....if there ever was one.....
I think if Pakistan is serious about peace with India, disabling the terror network in Pakistan under the guise of "freedom fighters" needs to be on top of the list

I hope to see Pakistanis support this...

Last edited:
They should open an University of Terrorism in Pakistan where these tarrorist from all over the world can come and get trained. You earn some revenue as well.

Now don't frown on me as some one said Headley is an American citizen still he got his education in terrorism from Pakistan.

Did India open University of Terrorism In India for LTTE and BLA terrorists which were and are being given terrorism education in India ???

Did India open University of Terrorism In India for LTTE and BLA terrorists which were and are being given terrorism education in India ???

LTTE may have received initial support from India, but that stopped after the Rajiv Gandhi assasination....buried skeletons since LTTE exists no more....besides....None of Pakistans business.....Sri-Lanka can take that up with us...

BLA is a conspiracy theory and even if you are able to lend support to this fairy tale in Pakistan, NEVER has there been any terror camp on Indian soil to target Pakistanis....
But the recent events including Headleys testimony shed light on Pakistani soil being used for terrorism in India and abroad....

As always....your accusations are baseless and lack any weight.....

Last edited:

Jana,

Don't talk like "INDIA TV" journalist.

Do you have any proof.

If don't then just keep writing such craps as it will increase your post count.

Thanks

Rather than running away from questions and posting other offhand information which has nothing to do with the topic the better solution would be to not post. Yes, a lot of people claimed it was an Indian inside job (especially that nut case Zaid Hamid) and that has been proven wrong. Facts speak louder than conspiracies. Now to be completely honest, the supposed terrorist training camps that you mention are not considered "terrorists". The indians can holler and shout but the trust factor on both sides is 0. Both parties have their hands dirty with the blood of innocent people. The same camps were run and operated by Indians as well, but with the new found money came new found assets. We however did not find any new money so we continue to employ our old methods. We will suffer by having them but the risk of not having them is even greater. Therefore the people you call terrorists will be our assets for at least the next 3-5 years.

Rather than running away from questions and posting other offhand information which has nothing to do with the topic the better solution would be to not post. Yes, a lot of people claimed it was an Indian inside job (especially that nut case Zaid Hamid) and that has been proven wrong. Facts speak louder than conspiracies. Now to be completely honest, the supposed terrorist training camps that you mention are not considered "terrorists". The indians can holler and shout but the trust factor on both sides is 0. Both parties have their hands dirty with the blood of innocent people. The same camps were run and operated by Indians as well, but with the new found money came new found assets. We however did not find any new money so we continue to employ our old methods. We will suffer by having them but the risk of not having them is even greater. Therefore the people you call terrorists will be our assets for at least the next 3-5 years.

Forcetrip, I usually agree with most of your views...quite balanced I must say....

The highlighted portion is important.....
Support to the freedom of Kashmir and the fight against Indian forces I can rationalize.....
But when these same freedom fighters target civilians in parts of India outside of Kashmir or even in Kashmire, then they lose their moral right to be called freedom fighters....

What I want to know is, shouldnt there be a change in Pakistani ideology and thinking to differentiate between an act of freedom struggle and terrorism? Why is it that LET is not considered a terrorist org even when Pakistan is getting a taste of what we are facing in events like 26/11?

Also can you elaborate on what you mean by "The same camps were run and operated by Indians as well, but with the new found money came new found assets".

You have to understand that these operations are conducted by the Group themselves. Does not mean they have been sanctioned by the government. They have their own mission statements from which they get money and support. I am against terrorism but I am also stable enough to understand a necessary evil. I am sorry I come off as a hypocrite in this case. But I will accept my hypocrisy for another couple of years till we get our affairs in order. Then I will voice my concern on their not needed existence. And yes we are facing the bite of the dog we raised, but like i said a bite is better than a severed head.

India can question Headley on U.S. soil​
NARAYAN LAKSHMAN
WASHINGTON DC, March 19, 2010​
9d5aee5fc6b2ff49a23368616b86527b.jpg

This file photo shows the apartment of David Coleman Headley in Chicago. Post Headley's confession, he may serve a 'lighter' sentence

Plea agreement rules out possibility of extradition.

Indian authorities will be able to question David Coleman Headley, accused in the 2008 Mumbai attacks and facing 12 terror charges in a Chicago court, but within the United States only, as per a plea agreement that he struck with the court on Thursday.

As per the agreement, based on a change of Headley's plea from not guilty to guilty on all charges, he is currently facing life imprisonment, instead of the death penalty, and is also mandated to continuously cooperate with authorities in providing information regarding terror investigations.

In a conversation with The Hindu, shortly after the agreement was struck, his attorney, John Theis, said that Headley had provided important information to the authorities, which had already “helped save lives.” He said that while he had no information from law enforcement agencies about what they did with any information provided by Headley, “My understanding is that the United States government has shared information with the Indian government on a regular basis.”

The 35-page plea agreement clearly leaves room for Indian authorities to have access to Headley in the context of terror-related investigations in the future. Mr. Theis, however, emphasised that would have to be on U.S. soil as per the agreement. The relevant section reads: “Defendant further agrees that, when directed by the United States Attorney's Office, he will fully and truthfully testify in any foreign judicial proceedings held in the United States by way of deposition, videoconferencing or letters rogatory.”

The agreement effectively rules out the possibility of extradition, stating that pursuant to the U.S.'s extradition treaties with India, Denmark and Pakistan, the “defendant shall not be extradited to the Republic of India, them Kingdom of Denmark, or the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, respectively, for any offenses for which he has been convicted in accordance with this plea.”

In terms of the possible future course of Headley's sentencing, Mr. Theis said that as per his plea agreement he may be eligible for “downward departure” which is essentially a lighter sentence than life imprisonment, again conditional upon his continued cooperation. He was, however, unable to confirm how many years in prison Headley might face in such circumstances, saying that that would be pure “speculation.”

Headley has “agreed not to be sentenced until the case is over,” Mr. Theis said, confirming that sentencing would depend on the arrest and trial of Headley's co-defendants, including Tahawwur Rana, Illyas Kashmiri and Abdur Rehman Hashim Syed. Mr. Theis said at this point it was unclear how long that might take or if indeed they would all be brought before the U.S. justice system. In any case, Headley would likely remain in custody until such time, Mr. Theis added.

The 12 charges against Headley are:

1.Conspiracy to bomb places of public use in India

2. Conspiracy to murder and maim persons in India

3-8.Aiding and abetting the murders of six United States nationals in Mumbai

9.Conspiracy to provide material support to terrorism in India

10.Conspiracy to murder and maim persons in Denmark

11.conspiracy to provide material support to terrorism in Denmark

12.And providing material support to Lashkar-e-Taiba

LINK:
The Hindu : News / International : India can question Headley on U.S. soil

You have to understand that these operations are conducted by the Group themselves. Does not mean they have been sanctioned by the government. They have their own mission statements from which they get money and support. I am against terrorism but I am also stable enough to understand a necessary evil. I am sorry I come off as a hypocrite in this case. But I will accept my hypocrisy for another couple of years till we get our affairs in order. Then I will voice my concern on their not needed existence. And yes we are facing the bite of the dog we raised, but like i said a bite is better than a severed head.

So if these are assets saved for a rainy day.....

What's the point of diplomacy and peace talks and coming to the table.....?
The way I see it, India is in a stronger position at the moment, so to GOI, even the mere existance of Anti-India groups like LET etc becomes a hurdle in coming to terms in a peaceful manner with Pakistan....You see in the subcontinent symbolism speaks for a lot....
I feel there will never be a peaceful solution to Kashmir....esp when proxies exist....

Also, I think I can already see signs of LET taking on a new face with its leadership questioning the moral position and legality of the Pakistani Govt. If this continues, which it will since I dont see Pakistan being under Army rule for a long time, you will have another TTP at your hands, except this time it will bite you the way LTTE bit us.....
Wouldnt it just be easier to get rid of all terrorism once and for all?

Jana,

Don't talk like "INDIA TV" journalist.

Do you have any proof.

If don't then just keep writing such craps as it will increase your post count.

Thanks

:yahoo::yahoo: you mean Indian Media talks crap without proofs

thank you thank you we all agree

:) what reply you want. He is an American citizen not Pakistani citizen.
Still doesnt refute the fact that he attended training camps in Pakistani territory under the auspices of LeT or JuD as some prefer to call it.
Secondly if your govt failed to show guts in asking US to extradit him its not our problem.
US has never and will never extradite any of its citizens to another country to stand trial. But be assured, criminals will pay for their crimes, US judiciary makes sure of that.
And the lastest is US managed to save her man from extradition to Bharat :P and also from death penalty.
What an uneducated response! US does not have death penalty? Are you kidding me? But when you plead guilty and work with the prosecutors, death sentence is mostly waved off, but not with certainty.

No we provided srilankan army some arms to fight LTTE.

Jana you might not be knowing that India has even send an army to oppress LTTE which ultimately resulted in assassination of one prime minister called rajiv gandhi.

No jana, no university has yet been opened and wont happen since LTTE is no more. :kiss3:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom