What's new

Movies to watch out for, From Pakistan!

Saba Qamar is a very good actress. What about Katrina and Kareena, they are auntie ji's too.

Three local releases to clash at box office this weekend

1622918-mainn-1517392668-806-640x480.jpg

While all three films coming from different genres give the audience a much-needed variety of choice, their tailing at Padmaavat’s success may prove to be quite counterproductive. PHOTO: FILE

KARACHI : Parchi’s release on January 5 marked a relatively better opening to 2018. Collecting over Rs70 million, the film fared better than local films did in 2017. Nearly a month later and there are three Pakistani films that are set to release on February 2, 2018.

A horror flick Pari, an animated film Allahyar and the Legend of Markhor and Adeel Chaudhary and Iranian-German model Naaz Norouzi’s Maan Jao Na.

1525094-allahyarcover-1507358137-550-640x480.jpg

PHOTO: FILE

Directed by Uzair Zaheer Khan, Allahyar stars Ali Noor, Natasha Humera Ejaz, Azfar Jafri and Anum Zaidi. The film is a coming-of-age story with a wildlife conservation theme. According to Khan, it revolves around a boy name Allahyar, who “has ideals and ambitions that get challenged when he’s thrown into an adventure where he discovers a world he never knew existed.”

pari-1517392846.jpg

Pari, on the other hand, offers a local take on the supernatural. Talking to The Express Tribune, Pari director Syed Atif Ali said, “I like films which stay with you long after leaving the cinema. I believe Pari is one of those films, which will stay with you after long you’ve watched it.”

maan-jao-na-1517392914.jpg

Maan Jao Na, on the other hand, boasts a fun-loving, colourful story and also marks Norouzi’s cinematic debut. The supermodel has worked in high profile ads, including working with A-list Bollywood actor Salman Khan as well as walked the ramp for brands such as Dior, Hugo Boss and L’Oréal. She has trained in Persian dancing, and is also currently working on a Bollywood film.

Three local releases to clash at box office this weekend

1622918-mainn-1517392668-806-640x480.jpg

While all three films coming from different genres give the audience a much-needed variety of choice, their tailing at Padmaavat’s success may prove to be quite counterproductive. PHOTO: FILE

KARACHI : Parchi’s release on January 5 marked a relatively better opening to 2018. Collecting over Rs70 million, the film fared better than local films did in 2017. Nearly a month later and there are three Pakistani films that are set to release on February 2, 2018.

A horror flick Pari, an animated film Allahyar and the Legend of Markhor and Adeel Chaudhary and Iranian-German model Naaz Norouzi’s Maan Jao Na.

1525094-allahyarcover-1507358137-550-640x480.jpg

Directed by Uzair Zaheer Khan, Allahyar stars Ali Noor, Natasha Humera Ejaz, Azfar Jafri and Anum Zaidi. The film is a coming-of-age story with a wildlife conservation theme. According to Khan, it revolves around a boy name Allahyar, who “has ideals and ambitions that get challenged when he’s thrown into an adventure where he discovers a world he never knew existed.”

pari-1517392846.jpg

Pari, on the other hand, offers a local take on the supernatural. Talking to The Express Tribune, Pari director Syed Atif Ali said, “I like films which stay with you long after leaving the cinema. I believe Pari is one of those films, which will stay with you after long you’ve watched it.”

maan-jao-na-1517392914.jpg

Maan Jao Na, on the other hand, boasts a fun-loving, colourful story and also marks Norouzi’s cinematic debut. The supermodel has worked in high profile ads, including working with A-list Bollywood actor Salman Khan as well as walked the ramp for brands such as Dior, Hugo Boss and L’Oréal. She has trained in Persian dancing, and is also currently working on a Bollywood film.

Allahyar will be a huge success.. I am pretty sure.

Film 'Azad' set to release on Feb 9

film-azad-set-to-release-on-feb-9-1517236621-5668.jpg

Islamabad: AZAD, the first feature film collaboration of Bling Motion Pictures and Roomi films is set to release in cinemas across Pakistan on February 09, 2018.

The film stars Salman Shahid, Rehan Sheikh, Sanam Saeed, Sabreen Hisbani, Nimra Bucha, Ajlal Shah and Jawad Rana. The music is composed by Abbas Ali Khan and Taimoor Mirza, and features singers Abbas Ali Khan, Humaira Ejaz, Arieb Azhar and Shumaila Hussain.

Star studded premiere of the children's animated film 'Allahyar and the Legend of the Markhor 2" held in Karachi.

d27681c4f397bdcdf7e172e930a93b01.jpg

438e8da4e918dbf2e8c48d159e3c354f.jpg

7d17cf99ae2a88066ca9cf72baa77c65.jpg

b2c09d43e4c63a458e5d7f6fb903fc31.jpg

0cf96edf2134d81506558db8aea51b77.jpg

981f541ac0240ab175ac6ba152cdb5a8.jpg

037151fca080ca1b16e613199e02dbe6.jpg

_

Review: 'Azad' gives big-budget local films a run for their money

1630458-azadmain-1518166233-681-640x480.jpg

KARACHI : In times when home-based network subscriptions are all the rage, you can randomly put on a film and not expect much from it. If it turns out to be great, it’ll be two-hours well spent; if not, we move on to the next. Not much harm done. There’s always more. It’s a different case, though, when you have to go all the way to the cinema, spend a few hundred rupees and watch a film that you probably might skip because there are no famous names attached to it.

But do yourself a favour and go watch Azad. Rehan Sheikh’s directorial debut is a pleasant surprise amidst a bunch of mediocre films that crowd our cinemas most of the time. The film revolves around an RJ named Azad (played by Sheikh) who hosts a morning show and likes to believe he is free until an encounter with his past challenges his belief.

It’s one of those films whose trailer doesn’t do it complete justice. But you step into the theatre, sit tight in your seat and surrender yourself to the experience and it will engage you unlike any other local film that has come out this year so far. The first three minutes of the opening montage will hook you in and set up the film’s world with a clarity so rarely found in Pakistani films.

Remember that Azad is not a big budget film and by no means, it tries to deceive you into thinking that it is grand and larger-than-life. Azad’s success is in understanding and being content with its place and it is exactly that which helps ground the viewer in the film’s reality.

With all the rage for making big-budget films and breaking records, here is a film which quietly does its work with limited resources and carves out a beautiful story which not only entertains for two-hours but resonates and lingers in your mind long after. The director understands and creatively tackles the financial limitations.

azad-1518167033.jpg

Even as an actor, Sheikh delivers a performance which makes you truly believes in his character – a man who likes to think he is free, but is in fact, like all of us, wearing shackles we are not even aware of. The supporting cast, which includes Salman Shahid (as radio station owner PK Sher), Sabreen Hisbani (Azad’s former lover Jiya), Sanam Saeed (colleague), Ajlal Shah (Billoo), and Zahid Ahmed (OJ), also deliver realistic performances. There is no rush or exaggeration to their characters.

The film’s pace may be too slow and unconventional for some. The duration could have been 15 minutes shorter, but don’t let that discourage you from giving it a shot. Azad mesmerises you with its poetic, almost romantic flow. It’s sprinkled with classic songs like a chocolate cake with coconut powder.
Abbas Ali Khan’s melodious score, from beginning till the end, involves you further into the story. It stays mellow throughout and brings out the much-needed emotions in certain scenes. You will find yourself listening to the songs composed by Khan and Taimoor Mirza. Shumaila Hussain’s jazz flavour ‘Huzoor’ adds a fun, vintage feel to the film as well.

Thereby, the film, on the whole, equals to a visual poem narration – put down your guard and trust the narrator to take you wherever he wants. You won’t be disappointed. The ride will make you laugh with a very Woody Allen and Jim Jarmusch-esque style of humour. It will make you think and reflect on your life. And by the end, it will make you cry.

Azad is a film which sets us free from a long list of underwhelming cinematic experiences. It is an important win for content-centric Pakistani cinema, which we definitely need more of. It’s important for the local cinema, in general, as it should ideally pave the way for more small-budget, story-centric films to follow. Simply, Azad is here to rescue Pakistani cinema from mediocrity.

Verdict: Go watch with no preconceptions and let Azad pleasantly surprise you.

Fahad Mustafa and Mehwish Hayat-starrer 'Load Wedding' to release on Eidul Azha

1631368-screengrab_actorinlaw_edit-1518253203-391-640x480.jpg

Ladies and gentleman, bring out your calendars and save the date for the biggest wedding of the year! Yup…Nabeel Qureshi and Fizza Ali Meerza’s next venture – Load Wedding – is all set to release around Eidul Azha, later this year.

The film will feature Fahad Mustafa and Mehwish Hayat as its lead pair. It seems like the on-screen couple from Qureshi and Meerza’s last project Actor In Law has now become the secret ingredient to their recipe for success.

lw_1-1518256579.jpg

The announcement of Load Wedding comes in with a different flavour as well. A couple of motichoor ladoos packed in a very mehndi-style basket left us thinking that it could very easily be a wedding invite.

loadwedding-1518256503.jpg

What gave it away was the little note dangling from the hem, that read the name of the movie.

lw_3-1518256663.jpg

The tiny card read, “Save the date. Preparations for the most talked about wedding with a desi tadka have officially begun! Load Wedding coming to your cinemas on Eid Ul Azha, 2018.”

parchi-1518256697.jpg

In early January, the invites premiere invites for Parchi broke the norm of plain poster-like pamphlets. Gun cutouts with the date, time and venue gelled perfectly well with the theme of the movie. Load Weddinghas taken that tactic in one step further. Now that’s one way to up your game in the movie business.

Qureshi and Meerza have always managed to send a message across with some comic dialogues – highlighting the issues in the society. Their debut, Na Maloom Afraad followed by Actor In Law was a clever, yet playful take on words. Load Wedding does the same, hinting at the issue of load shedding that have kept the country in darkness for a really long time. Or it could be showing the dark side of weddings in Pakistan – who knows?

Sohai Ali Abro's Motorcycle Girl gets a release date

The biopic is based on Zenith Irfan, the first Pakistani woman to have made a solo journey through the country's north
The release date for Zenith Irfan's biopic starring Sohai Ali Abro has finally been revealed.

Motorcycle Girl will be released in cinemas across Pakistan on 20 April this year. The movie is writer/director Adnan Sarwar's second feature film after the 2015 biopic Shah, based on the story of Pakistani Olympian boxer Syed Hussain Shah.

5a83ef85d8409.jpg

Director Adnan Sarwar with his muse, Sohai Ali Abro

The film is loosely based on the boundary-breaking motorcycle journeys of Zenith Irfan who, at 20 years of age, is thought to be the first Pakistani woman to have made a solo motorcycle journey through the northern regions of the country.

Irfan's multiple bike journeys (documented in her Facebook blog "1 Girl, 2 Wheels") through regions of the country "where it's taboo for women to venture out unaccompanied, let alone riding solo on two wheels", have attracted worldwide attention.

5a83f3d5f369b.jpg

A behind the scenes shot of Sohai

"The remarkable story of what Zenith did at such a young age caught my attention after Shah and I knew it was the right subject to turn into a film", said Adnan Sarwar. "I have scripted a fictional world around the core true story of her journey and I hope that Motorcycle Girl will help further the cause of women empowerment in Pakistan".

To prepare for her role, Sohai Ali Abro undertook extensive motorcycle training and followed Zenith Irfan's bike journey from Lahore to Khanjerab during the shooting of the film. The film has been co-produced by Jami under his banner Azadfilm Company.

motorcycle-girl-gets-release-date-1518623523-9648.jpg

Fawad Khan ready to make web series debut

1635624-fawadkhan-1518686390-698-640x480.jpg

With cyber space gaining more importance by the day, there is no doubt that actors are beginning to explore the galaxy of the online world with more inquisitiveness.

The actor has reportedly been approached for several web series and is now to be part of a five-episode online family drama, reported Deccan Chronicle.

Belapur Ki Dayan starts today

belapur-ki-dayan-starts-today-1518626933-7586.jpg

LAHORE-Popular actor-director Saife Hassan’s new drama serial titled ‘Belapur Ki Dayan’ is set to start telecasting today.

The plot of ‘BelaPurki Dayan’ revolves around injustice and revenge. The central character of this intense suspense thriller is a ghost who wants the residents of the house where she was wrongfully killed to solve the mystery of the multiple homicides that took place decades ago.

‘Belapur Ki Dayan’ has an ensemble of cast that includes names like Sara Khan, Amar Khan, Adnan Siddiqui, Osama Tahir, Rayyan, ShakeelYousuf, Sajda Syed, IrfanKhoosat and others.

Ali Zafar to release teaser of upcoming flick at opening ceremony of PSL

1635856-alix-1518703966-912-640x480.jpg

KARACHI: When it comes to music, entertainment and taking over bollywood like a cyclone, Ali Zafar has been there done that. With all the hullaballoo surrounding Teefa In Trouble since last year, the world will finally treat themselves to the official teaser of the upcoming film at the opening ceremony of Pakistan Super League.

Seems like cricket enthusiasts will be taking advantage of the film’s romantic-thriller theme and settling their angst before the match commences.

Cake - Official Trailer | Aamina Sheikh, Sanam Saeed, Adnan Malik, Mikaal Zulfiqar

Love, from the sets of ‘Sherdil’

1638765-sherdil-1519022375-988-640x480.jpg

ISLAMABAD : It’s a pleasant winter afternoon in Islamabad as I head out to the sets of much-anticipated film, Sherdil at an exquisitely built mansion in what can be called the suburbs of the capital. Sherdil, by definition are the aerobatics display team of the Pakistani Air Force (PAF). The feature film, however, fuses much more than mere jet flying in its narrative. One walks in to be greeted by a local crew that has previously worked on films like Janaan and Parchi.

Produced and written by debutant film-maker, Nomaan Khan, who will, through Sherdil , be launching his banner of ‘NK Pictures’, has previously worked with the PAF to produce a track called Tum Hi Se Aye Mujahidoon that was sung by the late Junaid Jamshed and featured Sherdil’s leading man, Mikaal Zulfiqar.

Rarely does one see a producer this involved in the creative space, but Khan’s contributions to the film’s mounting seem more than just providing finances.

“Junaid Jamshed kept insisting that if you’ve made this song, you must do more,” Nomaan disclosed as we sat down to chat between takes, he spoke of how the late musician-turned-religious scholar had influenced his decision of turning to film-making. “It wasn’t till we lost Junaid that I really decided to pursue it. In fact, I was supposed to be on that very aircraft flying out of Pakistan to look for locations. Junaid suggested we did it very discretely, but he was very much a part of it.”

sherdil1-1519023540.jpg

PHOTO: PUBLICITY

Jamshed, who turned down several film offers including Shoaib Mansoor’s, was on-board for Sherdil. “He agreed to sing and compose its soundtrack, and he wanted to act in it as well. You know Shoaib Mansor stayed at his place for a couple of days to convince him to do a role in Bol, but he told me it would be an honor for him to be a part of Sherdil and wear the uniform again because his father was a former Air Force officer. We’re giving him a tribute by naming one of the characters in the film Junaid,” Khan continued.

Contrary to popular belief and unlike Haseeb Hasan’s Parwaaz Hay Junoon, Sherdil is a privately-funded project that is only logistically supported by the PAF. Nomaan feels that it was essential for the aerial warfare branch of the armed forces to be involved.

“It was very important for me to take PAF on-board, otherwise I couldn’t have the F-16s or the FJ-16s and the helicopters, or access to the base. I kept going to them and they would call me, we would talk about the story, but they never said ‘yes’, until the Air Chief indirectly approved by handing me a chit at a Board’s Meeting a couple of months ago,” he shared.

Sherdil’s protagonist, Mikaal Zulfiqar, after having a cinematic run across the border, will finally be making his foray into local theatres with an extended cameo in Cake. He’s also shot for a romantic-comedy, Na Band Na Baraati in Canada and ISPR’s tentatively titled The Trial alongside an ensemble star cast comprising of Sadia Khan, Shamoon Abbasi and Resham amongst others. All of them have had their fair share of ups and downs, when questioned, Mikaal sees film as a “tedious process” at large.

sherdil3-1519023545.jpg

“If my fans are my fans, whether they have to pay to see me or watch me on TV, they’ll do it; that’s my star-power,” he says, as we speak of him simultaneously taking up television assignments with films. “TV is something completely different than films, its drama. But you see I’m playing an action-hero in Sherdil and they’ve never seen me like this before. I think even romance on both the mediums is very different from one another. I just want to pick up the best projects.”

Having done two films backed up by the forces, The Trial and Sherdil, one wonders if propaganda taking centre-stage has even been a concern for Zulfiqar.

“It has. But I don’t like to be too risky with projects, like I didn’t do Baaghi because I was a little worried about the Qandeel (Baloch) aspect. Or Udaari, I couldn’t see myself doing the molestation scene, being a father. However, with our story, there’s nothing of such sort. In fact the PAF is a huge support. They love our story and are as passionate about the film as we are,” he responds of being heedful of his assignments.

Though the Indo-Pak peg very much exists in the narrative, Mikaal assures that it’s been done subtly and won’t overpower the flow of the film in any way. “We’ve tackled the subject in a way it hasn’t been dealt with before; in a beautiful manner and not trying to take sides at the same time,” he observes of the plot. “I don’t want to reveal too much, but it’ll be something very new for Pakistan without being controversial.”

We’re also joined by the film’s director, Azfar Jafri, who marks his many firsts with Sherdil. Starting out with the fact that he collaborates with another banner after three consecutive directorial projects with Imran Kazmi and Hareem Farooq’s IRK Films – Siyaah, Janaan and Parchi. Having dealt with an array of genres, ranging from horror-supernatural to comedy, Jafri’s plunge into yet another unknown territory will be a fresh take on the military-drama.

“As a director, I’m a storyteller and the genre of a film shouldn’t affect that at all,” he says of having been able to successfully shift from one theme to another.

“There’s always a story to tell; in my opinion, the genre is just the wrapping. I try growing with each project and try new things. I think our industry is at a stage where we can experiment. Once it’s established, you can venture into parallel cinema, which I will eventually, but at the moment, you need to make things for the audience and keep that in mind with whatever you do.”

After over four years with IRK, what made him step outside? “It was difficult to decide. When I first met the team, I knew I wouldn’t do any other film than IRK’s. But when I read the story and I had long discussions with the producer, since he’s the writer as well, and we came to common grounds eventually,” he revealed. “From my experience as a director and having received the audiences’ response, we made some subtractions and additions. I and IRK are already working on our next, we started off together and they’re family to me.”

sherdil2-1519023542.jpg

Just when one steps out of the manor, the film’s leading lady and the endearing Armeena Khan arrives, having a late call-time; I managed to get her view of the film and what it propounds. Her last cinematic appearance came with Yalghaar last year, but hasn’t been seen as the prima-donna for about two years now. Though she’s found acclaim on the small screens, Khan’s sabbatical of sorts comes to an end and for all the right reasons.

“I waited for the right film to come along last year, with a strong script and Sherdil was just that. My father is a former-armed forces’ officer, so the forces always fascinated me,” she maintained as her face lit up. “I loved the storyline and all that entailed; the struggles and the love. It’s family-oriented, so that’s what I go with as it caters to the entire family. I was approached with a full presentation in an organised manner, I was shown the storyboards, and I knew it would be something different that takes us to the next level.”

Unlike most women portrayals on the silver screen, Armeena guarantees a significant female part in Sherdil. “It’s my thing to be part of ground-breaking projects, as you’ve already seen in Daldal,” Khan asserted. “I go for two things mainly, the team and the script. It’s of a very strong, empowered, modern-day woman who knows what she wants, and there’s tremendous potential for me to explore that side because I’ve played the bechari way too many times.”

Currently being shot in different localities of Pakistan, Sherdil’s last leg of shoot will take place in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt. Slated to wind up production by mid-March, the film is slated to take local cinema to a worldwide audience with a release in forty-countries and will be dubbed in six-languages.

The film is being shot by renowned Hollywood cinematographer, Riki Butland who’s been associated with franchises like the Fast & Furious and Star Trek, and has signed onto Sonu Dangerous for choreography.

Also starring Hasan Niazi as the antagonist and Sabeeka Imam in a supporting role, the soundtrack is being composed by Adnan Dhul and Rabi Ahmed of Soch, who have previously worked on Bollywood film, Ek Villain and the recently-released local production, Chupan Chupai. Here’s hoping Sherdil is a flight in the right direction; something one can imagine without much hesitance by the zeal of its professional, yet romantic team.

Saba Qamar, Ahsan Khan's 'Moomal Rano' appears to be Pakistan's version of 'Romeo and Juliet'

moomall-1520060771.jpg

KARACHI: Saba Qamar and Ahsan Khan-starrer Moomal Rano, previously titled Mohabbat Ki Akhri Kahani, will finally see the light of day after being in the works for three years.

Imran all praises for upcoming flick ‘Cake’

Imran-2.jpg
PTI chief Imran Khan praised upcoming Pakistani movie Cake via a tweet on Friday, appreciating the quality of the flick as well as the performance of actors in the film.
Khan met with the cast of Cake after watching the film. The cricketer-turned-politician seemed impressed with the acting of the film and praised its quality as well.
“We have immense untapped potential in the Pakistan film industry,” tweeted Imran.
The movie stars Aamina Sheikh, Sanam Saeed and Adnan Malik. The plot of the film focuses on different characters within a family.

A special screening of the upcoming film ‘Cake’ held for the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf (PTI) chairman Imran Khan, has left him in awe.

290319_397648_updates.jpg

After watching the film with the cast and crew, the PTI chief took to Twitter to publicly applaud the efforts of all those who made the film possible, as well as the Pakistani film industry.

290319_8509827_updates.jpg

“With the cast of the film Cake, after watching it. Impressed by both the acting and quality of the film. We have immense untapped potential in the Pakistan film industry,” stated his tweet.

Imran Khan

✔@ImranKhanPTI

.With the cast of the film Cake, after watching it. Impressed by both the acting and quality of the film. We have immense untapped potential in the Pakistan film industry.

Khan’s appreciatory post came with a picture of him with the beaming cast of the film caught in conversation with him.

290319_655428_updates.jpg

The Sanam Saeed, Aamina Sheikh and Adnan Malik starrer depicts the drama that goes on within a family in a warm setting, along with a few blithe moments.

290319_8666875_updates.jpg

Directed by Asim Abbasi, the film is slated to release on March 30 and will premier in London’s Leicester Square, and is already being promoted on various platforms.

Back
Top Bottom