What's new

Movies to watch out for, From Pakistan!

Top Pakistani films to be screened in New York.

‘Young filmmakers in Pakistan are producing an incredibly diverse and entertaining array of movies which are contributing to the cultural renaissance underway in the country’

top-pakistani-films-to-be-screened-in-new-york-4d06a81401289dceb81d71e436347eb2.JPG

The first-ever film festival outside Pakistan screening top-rated Pakistani movies will be held in New York from December 3-4, organised by the Permanent Mission of Pakistan to the United Nations.

The two-day Pakistan Film Festival will take place at the prestigious Asia Society, with showings of some of the finest films from Pakistan at a time when cinema is undergoing an extraordinary revival in the country.

The films include two brand new ones, which will premiere in New York, ‘Dobara Phir Se’ and ‘Lahore Say Agay’.

Others are ‘Actor-in-Law’, Pakistan’s Oscar nomination ‘Mah-e-Mir’, Oscar award-winner Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy’s animated film ‘3 Bahadur’, ‘Dukhtar’, ‘Dance Kahani’ and ‘Ho Mann Jahan’.

The festival is part of the continuing effort by Pakistan’s UN Mission, led by Ambassador Maleeha Lodhi, to project the country’s soft image.

Talking about the festival, she said, "Young filmmakers in Pakistan are producing an incredibly diverse and entertaining array of movies which are contributing to the cultural renaissance underway in the country which is also reflected in the profusion of creative voices found today in Pakistan’s art, music, literature and the media. We are bringing some of Pakistan’s movies to New York so that diplomats from 193 countries at the UN also have an opportunity to see what the country’s entertainment industry is producing." The festival will kick off with a red carpet reception on December 2 at the United Nations where ambassadors and representatives accredited to the UN will be invited, as well as members of the Pakistani Diaspora, media and film buffs.

A number of celebrities from the film industry will also attend the festival as well as directors and producers of some of the movies being featured.

Since assuming charge as Pakistan’s Permanent Representative to UN, Ambassador Lodhi has undertaken several cultural projects and organised a series of events to promote Pakistan’s soft image and highlight its modern and vibrant culture but also its ancient civilisation roots.

The Pakistan Mission, under her leadership, organised a Sufi Night at the UN General Assembly hall to mark Pakistan Day earlier this year featuring Rahat Fateh Ali Khan.

She also organised an exhibition of contemporary art from Pakistan at the UN, which showcased some of the best works of art to demonstrate how Pakistan is becoming a powerhouse of creativity. She was also instrumental in bringing the Lahore Literary Festival to the Asia Society in New York.

"Cultural diplomacy is an essential part of a diplomat’s job aimed at winning hearts and minds," Ambassador Lodhi said, adding, "Pakistan has much to offer the world in this regard, and our responsibility is to take this to the international arena."

The PR of the event is to be handled by Catalyst PR & Marketing. Catwalk Event Management & Productions is managing the event. Moreover, Catwalk will be looking after the artist management and coordination for the event as well.

Ayesha Omar and Ahsan Khan to star in upcoming rom-com Rehbra

The film is a "love story with a twist", says Ahsan Khan

582e7b9e2f5d8.jpg

Here's a pairing we're looking forward to.

Top actors Ayesha Omar and Ahsan Khan will come together on the big screen next year, as the duo has signed TV director Amin Iqbal's debut film project, Rehbra.

Talking to Images, Ahsan Khan described the film as a "love story with a twist".

582e7e4c24a4d.jpg

Judging by Ahsan Khan's words, the film will feature an unconventional romance

"The script demands a strong performance from the actors," Ahsan further revealed. "I've worked with Amin Iqbal on two TV dramas and always felt he had the potential of doing a film. So of course, I was going to sign on to the project. I believe things are going to be great."

"Ayesha Omar is a vibrant and talented actor," he adds about his costar.

Ayesha Omar confirmed that she has signed Rehbra, calling it a "great story", and her part "a very interesting character." But she kept mum about any other details.

The film will also star Miss Pakistan USA 2015, Sarish Khan.

At present, it is planned as an Eid ul Azha 2017 release.

Ahsan Khan's new project may challenge your notions of disability

With 'Chashm-e-Num', Ahsan Khan hopes to jump-start short filmmaking in Pakistan

58314fdb14b09.jpg

583148b8cdee2.jpg

Ahsan Khan has a solution for the dearth of Pakistan films in cinemas.

He says short films may be the way to go at a time when film exhibitors need a greater number of films.

With his latest production Chashm-e-Num, a short film that is "an intriguing romance drama dedicated to the visually impaired", Ahsan Khan hopes to show the way forward.

"There is no trend for short films in Pakistan," Ahsan said to Images. "They rarely get a run in cinemas, even though this is common internationally. Major filmmakers around the world make short films. In Pakistan, even feature length films don't get a decent run in cinemas. So, I thought I should make short films and introduce the trend."

In Chashm-e-Num, two visually impaired people at different stages of their life meet and fall in love. But a web of lies awaits them.

The film stars Ahsan Khan, alongside Jasim Khan and Amar Khan. who is a filmmaking graduate from Beaconhouse National University and also the writer of the film. It features a song sung by Amanat Ali, whose track is "a sweet gesture for people who can't see."

Ahsan is selling the film to a TV channel, but says he also wants the film to run the film festival circuit.

"We should make lots of short films and hold festivals in Pakistani cinemas and sell tickets, run eight to 10 short films per day," he suggests, adding that he knows putting his money on this film was a risk but he thought it would be worth taking.

The film is expected to release in the first week of December in commemoration of Disability Day.

Mah-e-Mir wins big at the Guam International Film Festival

The drama picked up the Best Narrative Film award

5832db0586bfc.jpg

Hum Films' Mah-e-Mir earned a new honour at the Guam International Film Festival yesterday.

The drama film, inspired by the famed madness of 18th century Urdu poet Mir Taqi Mir, was awarded the Best Narrative Film Award at the festival taking place in Guam, a small island located in the western Pacific Ocean (for those who are curious).

5832dfaf3770f.jpg

Anjum Shehzad speaking to the Mah-e-Mir audience after its special screening at the Guam International Film Festival

Mah-e-Mir was screened as part of the official selection of the festival, which included around 60 films, according to its website.

Director Anjum Shehzad was present to receive the award after the film's special screening. Actor Manzar Sehbai, who plays a scholar in the film, was in the running for the Achievement In Acting Award, but did not win.

Mah-e-Mir is Pakistan's submission for the 2017 Academy Awards' Best Film In A Foreign Language category. It stars Fahad Mustafa, Iman Ali, Manzar Sehbai and Sanam Saeed in main roles.

15094283_1418360584871453_7492907576600382339_n.jpg

Poster of Upcoming Horror film "FOUR"... A film by "Adeel Wali Raees"... who previously was associated with aclaimed film "Shah" as Assistant Director
=======
Shah waloan nay baniye hay to ye chawli proof ho gi ye baat pakki hay :D
@django @Moonlight @The Sandman @Chauvinist @PaklovesTurkiye @Hell hound @unleashed

Agreed shah was an amazing film. It was so powerful and captivating that you just wanna get out and kill the entire sports ministry for their incompetence and corruption. It also highlighted the difference between the treatment of cricket and other sports.

You know you watch that film and you realize why this country is cursed by God.

So yeah four should be awesome!!

This looks pretty cool film as well.

Wonder if there will be a scene of him protesting in front of the Parliament in lahore and demanding representation in the senate and during their march the police sending the wrong way bcz they are blind.

Agreed shah was an amazing film. It was so powerful and captivating that you just wanna get out and kill the entire sports ministry for their incompetence and corruption. It also highlighted the difference between the treatment of cricket and other sports.

You know you watch that film and you realize why this country is cursed by God.

So yeah four should be awesome!!

This looks pretty cool film as well.

Wonder if there will be a scene of him protesting in front of the Parliament in lahore and demanding representation in the senate and during their march the police sending the wrong way bcz they are blind.
The movie had zero mirch masala and was based on reality the real face of our authorities was exposed
Last year i saw a small clip on samaa i think about a medalist of SAFF games who sells namkeen papars on motercycle for a living he too was from Liyari

Absolutely cricket gets all the attention while other sportd get zero attention later on we cry why we dont get medals in olympics

The movie had zero mirch masala and was based on reality the real face of our authorities was exposed
Last year i saw a small clip on samaa i think about a medalist of SAFF games who sells namkeen papars on motercycle for a living he too was from Liyari

There are a thousand stories like that. How can we build Olympic medal winning players when we can't even provide them basic infrastructure and pay for them to make a living over here. Its one of the main reason people don't pick up sports despite our ability to produce naturally talented players. There is no grooming here and more often than not they are abandoned after their two minutes of fame are up. They are our heroes as well as they bring a positive light to our country which is drabbed in negative light thanks to both expats and domestic Pakistanis.

I have always stated

Nations which do not remember their heroes, truly they face destruction and

extinction.

We don't start taking care of our heroes and our fate won't be any different.

Absolutely cricket gets all the attention while other sportd get zero attention later on we cry why we dont get medals in olympics

And you know what irks me. Despite cricket getting 95% of our focus, we are still not dominant. We still struggle to groom players. The reason is low pay scale in our domestic infrastructure and poor domestic setup. The pitches are horrid, the domestic system reeks of nepotism and corruption while the entire system simply kills competition.

So the question arises if cricket is struggling despite our focus and other sports are dying or dead, then where is all the money going?

I will tell you where. In our corrupt officials and ministers that absolutely do nothing for the system and simply cash in cheques. That's all they want and care about..

Our entire hockey died simply bcz we couldn't produce the same type of grass and the reason is bcz we didn't have a strong domestic setup to mould ourselves to change.

You know India has a thousand issues but they are investing in sporting infrastructures and they are improving and they have real shots at winning gold in Olympics.

The question is where are our archers. Kpk is filled with archers. Why aren't they going for the Olympics. Bcz they are not trained due to zero infrastructure. Baluchistan is all football yet we have zero presence in football. Why bcz zero focus is being deployed. FATA has the fastest of the bowlers. They got zero control but they bowl fast. Control can he taught.

I am a staunch critic of Imran but kpk really improved on its sporting infrastructure. Had he personally given more focus thing would have been even better but improvement is to he commended.

If we don't do something now then that day is not far when we won't have a single player in Olympics.

Ali Hamza's 'Sanwal' promo tells us what to expect from his Karachi tour

The Noori singer is all set to perform two gigs in the city in December

5836b259386b8.jpg

If you show up for the gig, expect him to be singing his popular songs, indie folk, some western classics and more during the tour

After Noori wraps up its tour in Punjab, singer/guitarist Ali Hamza is making his way to Karachi for two days of gigs in December.

And he's released a little musical teaser to tell fans just what he has in store for them.

Titled 'Sanwal', the video is a Salt Arts production that layers Ali's soothing vocals and lyrics over beautiful shots of Karachi. It's a promo you could watch on repeat.

Ali Noor is scheduled to perform in Karachi on December 14-15 with a fantastic line-up of musicians from Lahore, including Danish Khawaja, Kami Paul, Sameer Ahmed and Rakae Jamil

5836b0c69fe3e.jpg

The Noori singer will be performing in Karachi in December - Photograph by Mobeen Ansari

If you show up for the gig, expect him to be singing his popular songs, indie folk, some western classics and more during the tour.

For student offer you need student card and they only let you sit in front seats
-----------------------------------------------------------
Lahore Se Aagay - Public Review

---------------------------
Shehzad Sheikh to appear in upcoming Pakistani movie "Team". Produced and directed by Javed Sheikh. Mehwish Hayat will also play a cameo role in movie.
shahzad-sheikh.jpg

11224291_1156683861016981_5835772961941996571_o-1024x1024.jpg

If i am not mistaking this will be their first project together wow man two of my fav actors together this a a recipe for success :D
Thank god Humayion uncle is not called again for this project
@django @The Sandman @Moonlight

Sadia Khan and Mikaal Zulfiqar's upcoming film will highlight the 1971 war

Are you ready to go back to the 70s?

5839430861d2f.jpg

The two will be seen as leads in the upcoming film.

Model-turned-actor Sadia Khan is leaving no stone unturned this year as she takes up one acting project after another, the latest one being a period drama based on the 1971 war.

"The script made me sign the film. Everybody has already spoken about India and Pakistan, but this is probably the first film on the split between East and West Pakistan," Khan tells Images of her upcoming venture.

The film, which is based on the fierce war that broke out between East and West Pakistan in 1971, will be directed by anchor-turner-filmmaker Kamran Shahid.

"It takes the viewer back to the 70s and shows the struggle of the people," she adds. "It managed to intrigue me since it's very different from what we get to see these days."

This project follows her cinematic debut with Bollywood film Dunno Y2 Life Is A Moment, and her first-ever Pakistani film, Abdullah, opposite Imran Abbas which [finally] saw the light of the day this year after being showcased at several international film festivals including Cannes. She recently wrapped up shooting for the remake of her hit serial, Khuda Aur Mohabbat; and is currently shooting for the period drama opposite Diyar-e-Dil star Mikaal Zulfiqar.

"I've worked with Mikaal previously and I must say, he's very helpful," she says of her co-star. "Unlike a few actors, he never throws tantrums on sets and is always there whenever I need assistance with my scenes."

Apart from the leads, seasoned actors Resham, Shamoon Abbasi and Alyy Khan will also be seen playing prominent roles in the film. It will aso feature a special appearance by Rachel Gil in one of the tracks.

Khan revealed that she plays a character that evolves as the film progresses: "My character has a lot of variations. She's a very simple girl but due to a few situations that occur in her life, she turns into a strong woman. She has a heart of gold and I am thoroughly enjoying essaying her."

Like the film's setting and plot, the music of the movie is reminiscent of the days of Ghulam Mohiuddin and Babra Sharif. Composed by Sahir Ali Bagga and Naveed, the music of the film will surely be "something to look forward to," promises Khan.

The film will mostly be shot in Lahore while one spell of the shoot is scheduled to take place in Dhaka. Set for release in March next year, here's hoping that the film is able to live up to our expectations.

Back
Top Bottom