What's new

‘Mother of all bombs’ caused damage in Kurram (Pakistan)

Clutch

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
‘Mother of all bombs’ caused damage in Kurram: residents

PARACHINAR: The powerful non-nuclear bomb dubbed mother of all bombs (MOAB) which was dropped by the US on an area in Afghanistan on Thursday also left impact on this side of the border, damaging buildings in Kurram Agency, locals said.

Wide cracks appeared in several houses, a mosque and an Imambargah at Malana village in the foothills of Speen Ghar also known as White Mountain.

The snow-covered White Mountain serves as a natural barrier between the Afghan province of Nangarhar and the Kurram tribal region in Pakistan.

US officials claimed that MOAB targeted a base of the militant Islamic State group in Achin district which lies in the foothills of the White Mountain on the other side of the border.

ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD
According to latest reports, MOAB left at least 90 people dead and destroyed the IS infrastructure. Initially, the death toll was put at 36.

Residents at Malana village told Dawn they felt a tremor that shook their houses. “We felt light shocks, but did not realise it was because of a bomb,” said Muhammad Hassan, a resident of Malana.

He said that wide cracks had appeared in several houses and mosques in the area. It also caused slight damage to houses in the Zeran area. The US forces had carried out intense bombing in the Tora Bora area of the same Achin district after 9/11 attacks to dismantle what it claimed was a cave complex of Al Qaeda.

AFP adds: The unprecedented MOAB attack triggered global shockwaves, with some condemning the use of Afghanistan as what they called a testing ground for the weapon, and against a militant group that is not considered a threat as big as the resurgent Taliban.

“At least 92 Daesh (IS) fighters were killed in the bombing,” Achin district governor Esmail Shinwari told AFP on Saturday, adding that three tunnels that sheltered the insurgents had been destroyed.

Mr Shinwari said that American and Afghan ground forces were slowly advancing on the mountainous area, which is blanketed with landmines, to clear the site, but there are still some pockets of resistance from insurgents.

“New fighters have probably come from the other side of the border (Pakistan) to collect the dead bodies,” he added.

Published in Dawn, April 16th, 2017

This is already an earthquake prone zone. I fear this will mess up the tectonic plates even more.

This is already an earthquake prone zone. I fear this will mess up the tectonic plates even more.
No I don't think so plates are 100s of KM deep . And the shock wave of MOAB not that strong, I can say MOAB was even not able to take down all the caves .
But one thing for sure Pakistan also need bigger bombs ~~(like 5000lb to 10000 lb). We almost face the same problem in Fata area.

But because it is USA, Pakistan will ignore this.

If it was India, most posters here will be demanding a nuclear war on India, being serious here lol
You blamed me once for cursing india every time.what about you now? is it neccessary to talk about india in this thread??? Think Dude !

But because it is USA, Pakistan will ignore this.

If it was India, most posters here will be demanding a nuclear war on India, being serious here lol
Ofc ganga is no USA. I dare ganga people to act more than their capacity, then we will teach them the lesson which is more than ganga capacity to learn

Big deal.
US drones have directly damaged pakistani lives and property, and pakistan could not do shit.
This afterall is a collateral damage.
Noon, it was done under strict acceptance of Pakistan. Noob

The bomb was big to destroy the bunkers and caves properly.

It's more important to disrupt their ability to organize and base than losing manpower. This looks like it achieved both.

Its a big win for Pakistan US is taking Afghanistans Eastern border seriously now. I hope they do more.

The bomb was big to destroy the bunkers and caves properly.

It's more important to disrupt their ability to organize and base than losing manpower. This looks like it achieved both.

Its a big win for Pakistan US is taking Afghanistans Eastern border seriously now. I hope they do more.
It seems mineral digging bomb.

No I don't think so plates are 100s of KM deep . And the shock wave of MOAB not that strong, I can say MOAB was even not able to take down all the caves .
But one thing for sure Pakistan also need bigger bombs ~~(like 5000lb to 10000 lb). We almost face the same problem in Fata area.

No we don't, army can just go there and take them out. For Afghanistan situation is very different. Afghani army is incompetent and USA doesn't want to loss more soldiers.

Afghanistan is US property, all the Governments are coming as per US will, they can do anything there & the wh**e Afghanis can't do any sh!t about it.

US testing MOSB near the border is quiet concerning.

Last edited:
You are jumping to conclusions here without much knowledge of the power of weapon in question.

MOAB utterly obliterated the target cave complex and its shockwaves knocked out structures located in spots up to 3 miles away from ground zero and damaged many more structures further than that. Damage to structures in Kurram region coincides with the timing of MOAB strike in Afghanistan.

Damage in ground zero is so extensive that it has not been cleared for access to journalists so far. And the reported death toll is low because a large number of people were evacuated from nearby settlements before the strike. The bodies found are not from ground zero but from distant locations. You cannot expect trace of flesh and bone in ground zero unless an individual was like 100 feet below the ground.

Last edited:
in an earth quack energy about 100s of nuclear bomb is produce and to move those tectonic plates you need same amount of energy so MOAB is not even close to do any thing like this

Over exaggerating.
MoaB has only 11 ton TNT worth of explosion.

MOAB didn't even killed all the terrorist directly in the strike area. It was more of a huge flash bang, make most of the terrorist deaf and not responsive and were taken out by ground troops. The most effective thing in the MOAB is the shock wave that booms into the cave networks and induces high air pressure on the victims thus making them unresponsive and damaging many organs including eyes and ears.

I doubt even a nuclear bomb dropped in that area would cause any significant damage on the Pakistan side, unless the Nangahar and Kurram Agency lie in the same valley!

Back
Top Bottom