What's new

Moldovan Constitutional Court rules: official language is 'Romanian,'

flamer84

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Romania
In Moldova, they now officially speak Romanian.

The Constitutional Court ruled Thursday the country's official language should be changed to "Romanian" from "Moldovan."

Moldovans and Romanians speak the same language with slight variations due to different historical influences. The language was renamed Moldovan under Soviet rule to separate the country from Romania and the word reminds many of the country's communist past.

Moldova's remaining Communists opposed the change.

In neighboring Romania, officials welcomed the decision. President Traian Basescu called it "an act of justice."

Moldova was part of Romania until 1940, when it was annexed to the Soviets. Moldova declared independence from the crumbling Soviet Union in 1991.

Last week the pro-European government initialed an association agreement with the European Union.

Moldovan court rules official language is 'Romanian,' replacing Soviet-flavored 'Moldovan' | Fox News

Geez,it took them long enough,thanks Captain Obvious(Moldova) .:rolleyes:

@flamer84: Do Romanians want Moldova back then?

Most of us yes.But it's not practical because they're dirt poor and they'll tank our barely recovering economy(9k per capita Romania-2k per capita Moldova),so,despite all the enthusiasm lately about reunification i hope it won't happen in the near future.

And this is from me,technically "half moldovan"(no such thing in reality,they're just romanians),as my grandparents from my mother side were from the region but fled in 1940 when the russians rolled in but,as we say "love passes trough the stomach".

Most of us yes.But it's not practical because they're dirt poor and they'll tank our barely recovering economy(9k per capita Romania-2k per capita Moldova),so,despite all the enthusiasm lately about reunification i hope it won't happen in the near future.

And this is from me,technically "half moldovan"(no such thing in reality,they're just romanians),as my grandparents from my mother side were from the region but fled in 1940 when the russians rolled in but,as we say "love passes trough the stomach".

The other thing is that large numbers would want to leave and either go to Romania or travel onto other EU countries, so I do not see EU being altogether positive about this either.

Interesting to have learnt that there are two countries where people are Romanians.

The other thing is that large numbers would want to leave and either go to Romania or travel onto other EU countries, so I do not see EU being altogether positive about this either.

Interesting to have learnt that there are two countries where people are Romanians.

The EU allready throws rants at us for giving free romanian citizenships to moldovans.Some 400.000 of them took the offer until now.

They have accused us of "sliding an entire country through the back doors in the EU".:lol:

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom