What's new

Moeed Pirzada Analysis of Karachi Blast

We can use the time to focus on attracting and retaining Pakistan's best and brightest, internal cost-effective structural modernization, improving tradecraft, etc. A lot of this stuff costs little-to-no money. It's just about will, desire, and incentive.

I totally agree that we are not in an economic position to suddenly go on an all-out offensive. Nor will Western desires for this region (containing China, etc.) allow it.

BUT... this is a bit of a paradox. We will never be allowed to grow either, unless we find ways to deter our rivals, as their undeterred attacks and schemes will continue. We will remain enslaved.

Jab niyyat main khont ho to phir kia keh saktay hain.

Induction of Moeed Yousuf in the previous government was a good step, and it definitely opened the eyes of the planners in a few different directions from what I have heard, but this effort needs to be sustained in the long term.

I don’t the Israeli example is that applicable because I work with them day in day out and their entire culture is different. First, they really are built upon Judaism as the common theme after which the racial aspects for most(other than some color issues) dies out. You have Israelis coming in from all across the globe to “settle” as part of their zionist ideals which means an Israeli can be slavic and an Israeli can be Brazilian. They have a whole learning program for hebrew revolving around this as well. This also means that they have highly educated people engaged in everything from farming to construction to laser research which creates a fairly “learn positive” society in general even with the extremist category of settlers(which don’t represent the 3rd or 4th generation at all) they have.

By comparison, there is no Pakistani. Period.
There are Punjabis, Pukhtoon, Sindhis which while learning Urdu from school dont strive to adopt it as their primary language with most educated ones going for English or some bastardized version of Urdu and English combined.

The poverty and lack of education elsewhere means that unless some school exists in a locality where kids are exposed to urdu throughout their life they will for the most part remain with their mother tongue and that common bridge doesn’t get built.

As to reversal of the brain drain - there is nothing to offer someone and even if they succeed the returnees turn sour within a year due to the prevailing attitudes of administration and work culture in Pakistani state institutions.
Finally, do they really want a reverse brain drain or people smarter than them?

I don’t generalize but when the Musharraf cabal brought Kargil plans to Benazir they were sent back packing because she was still intellectually equal or better to recognize the implications of a few men’s play for glory. The Sharif clan isn’t smart in anything other than corruption but that is what the top order likes.
“Our F-16s will handle anything “.. don’t question that statement because it will bruise the ego of a 2 star since he thinks himself the next sun tzu even if he couldn’t tell the difference between a SAMs search and height finding arrays.
Such characters are sprinkled all over the military and I can tell you this - I WILL NEVER work under such a person and neither will most abroad because you can think of giving up the higher creature comforts you get here but not the respect and understanding you get within western organza. Yet, these people end up as management in SPD, NESCOM and all other places in government where change is required.

To achieve what you ask is NOT going to happen from within the institutions nor from the state level. There really has to be a grass roots upheaval which is owned primarily by the educated class. PTI could have been that but unfortunately did not really have a smart leader if albeit charismatic.

Anything led by the poor is going to be an animal farm story with new faces replacing the old but with the same character. So the real chance only lies with the middle class promoting change but at this point the leadership issue prevails.

I can't say I can disagree! Great pts.

This is patently false considering the amount of pick ups of individuals pre and post incident, safe to say they have been after terrorist elements for a while. You don't just stop and close everything, in fact crackdowns have been increasing as the militant's escalate. You know, if he can bring up statistical evidence of his claims that would be great. Unless he's saying that the husband of the suicide bomber and a PU student possibly involved in terror activates are patriots since they were detained.

Cleansing the Foreign Ministry of guilt are we? Right, the Foreign Ministry was the one which chose to go by an INITIAL police report based on eyewitness testimony which is in most cases unreliable. They also went ahead with that report DESPITE another Federal Minister saying a hour or more earlier that they had hints it was a terrorist attack and condemned it, this was reported by Radio Pakistan and i have all the records for the timeline of the event. It was the Foreign Ministry's screw up full stop here.

Fascinating fallacies of logic employed. Allow me to address them.

1) It is not patently false. You are referring to CT efforts, which I've already praised in another post. I'm talking specifically about offensive actions that deter. You are saying, "Look, we have many tactical successes." I agree. I am saying, "We have no strategy to capitalize on those tactical achievements." Such a strategy needs to entail a way to raise the cost directly for Doval and his cabal and RAW more generally. Killing terrorists/violent nonstate actors/proxies does NOT meaningfully raise the cost for their backers. So, I'm sorry, but your post makes no sense :)

2) Actually, I did not absolve the FM of blame. The FM bloody sucks, like pretty much every other institution. I simply summarized what Dr. Mooed said --- that an agency gave false testimony and proof to the media and FM.

3) See above. I am summarizing his points, as the heading of my post suggests.

2) Actually, I did not absolve the FM of blame. The FM bloody sucks, like pretty much every other institution. I simply summarized what Dr. Mooed said --- that an agency gave false testimony and proof to the media and FM.
The wording is such that it is only laying blame to an '''agency''', which is a half truth, if moeed pirzada said that the Foreign Ministry must take the most blame then good, though you should clarify that in your own post then. Also either you or Moeed are making it seem like that the Police's initial reports are apparently the most reliable, detailed and comprehensive reports of any investigation by saying they gave 'false testimony and proof' to media. It's obviously going to not be reliable all the time and is subject to change, anyone who has worked in any security related service knows this.
1) It is not patently false. You are referring to CT efforts, which I've already praised in another post. I'm talking specifically about offensive actions that deter. You are saying, "Look, we have many tactical successes." I agree. I am saying, "We have no strategy to capitalize on those tactical achievements." Such a strategy needs to entail a way to raise the cost directly for Doval and his cabal and RAW more generally. Killing terrorists/violent nonstate actors/proxies does NOT meaningfully raise the cost for their backers. So, I'm sorry, but your post makes no sense :)
You are quoting moeed in saying that they are simply after patriots? I said that it is the other way around. What are you failing to comprehend? I also didnt specify it to CT only either.
Anyways the summary post of what Moeed said makes him look pretty nonce like, i would have expected a better and less emotional analysis from him.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom