What's new

MoD, Navy and Air chiefs object to US defence pact

SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
MoD, Navy and Air chiefs object to US defence pact​

Serious differences have cropped up on some of the key pending defence agreements with the US with the Air Chief and the Naval Chief officially conveying to the Defence Ministry that there is not much to be gained by signing the Logistics Support Agreement (LSA) as well as the Communications, Interoperability and Security Memorandum of Agreement (CISMOA).

The Defence Ministry, too, is said to have shared its concerns at the highest levels that signing these agreements will send a “negative” signal to other important defence partners, particularly Russia.

Washington was pushing for these two agreements — the first on using each other’s bases and the second on interoperability — but sources said both sides are now likely to announce setting up of a bilateral technical group for further consultations on these agreements during US President Barack Obama’s visit.

In fact, none of the defence deals with the US that have been in the works will be announced during the visit. However, Obama will be given assurances in “private conversations” that deals like the C-17 aircraft are in the works and would be concluded soon. Government sources said the US had to make certain revisions in the letter of the agreement for the C-17 aircraft and, hence, the process got delayed.

The LSA and the CISMOA are emerging as the main hurdle in the Indo-US defence relationship. The US has termed the LSA a “housekeeping agreement” which would mean that US ships and aircraft while moving across continents can be serviced in Indian bases where an inventory would be maintained. The arrangement would be reciprocal.

The Defence Ministry is learnt to have raised the point that the US is likely to use Indian bases much more than Indian ships or aircraft utilizing American bases. The frequent movement of US ships and aircraft, according to the Defence Ministry, could convey a different political impression to India’s other strategic partners and may not serve the “national interest” depending on the context. The argument is that India should not bind itself by these agreements.

Washington is said to have provided a revised text making a distinction between using these facilities in combat and non-combat situations. This too has not found favour with the Defence Ministry, which is of the view that it would be very difficult to make such distinctions if live action is in another theatre but Indian facilities are being used. The point being made is that such agreements would limit India’s political options in tricky situations.

On CISMOA, too, the key issue for the Defence Ministry and the Armed Forces is interoperability. The question being asked is whether interoperability with NATO forces is desirable. While Russia has not directly taken up the issue with India, it keeps making the point at various levels that Russia does not sell military hardware to Pakistan.

In the various inter-ministerial discussions on this issue, the broad point from the Defence Ministry has been that India is not a military ally of the United States and hence it does not need such interoperability. While in favour of developing the partnership further and benefiting from US military industry, the Defence Ministry wants to keep its distance from any such agreement that, it feels, has larger political ramifications.

On being repeatedly told that not signing these agreements would adversely affect military purchases as the US would not be able to provide hi-tech ancillary equipment, the Defence Ministry asked the the two forces currently affected by this —the Navy and the Air Force. The view from them is that much of this equipment can be obtained from elsewhere and some others are needed.

The third agreement, the Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement (BECA) for Geo-Spatial Navigation, is still under consideration as it was brought up much later. India, it may be noted, has already finalised an end-user monitoring agreement.

MoD, Navy and Air chiefs object to US defence pact

that's a good decision...There should be No American military Equipments in India...

I personally don't want india to sign these agreement....:cheers:

India should avoid agreements with USA.
Russia is the best option.

Russia is helping us,while our own Defence industry booms.

I think there should be no space for US

Congress would sell India to even Pakistan if they Pakistan was willing to pay their asking price

Threat to innovative fix-dependent system

Considering the volume of defence equipment under negotiation with the U.S., it is only a matter of time before the highly dependable ‘jugaad' ceases to exist as a force multiplier in the Indian military.

The steady flow of varied American material and the anticipated ingress of much more following President Barack Obama's visit later this week could impinge adversely on India's ‘jugaad' or innovative fix-dependent defence systems.

Congress would sell India to even Pakistan if they Pakistan was willing to pay their asking price
are u in a wet dream..
Wat will 1.2 billion people do,we'll eat em alive..
So it's better u have control on ur words mate

just for book-keeping records, in current $US how much is asking price @ market value

on a serious note, i think there wont be any sudden paradigm shift. Like Don Corleone, U.S. would have to make hindustan an offer it ''couldnt refuse''

From a purely american perspective, I would be praying for further indo-China hostilities; it would sure help my domestic defence industry, my economy, and my geo-strategic interests....This is assuming that Ivan in Moscow would be hesitant to arm indians against Chinese --which is always a possibility.

India should never sign these kind of agreement, if India sign such and agreement then India will be just another country like UK or Australia.

Just out of curiosity please don't troll this, did Pakistan signed such agreement if not. Then if Pakistan can manage without signing agreement and why can't India. keep in mind Pakistan is operating one of the best US Tech F-16. I am a big fan of this fighter.

This is american tactics to neutralise the china threat which wont attack US anyway by a third country proxy.not any different than American creation of mujahideen against soviet. Just that its more sophiscated this time.

are u in a wet dream..

what did he say that was so wrong? and using thay sort of language is not right ,

are u in a wet dream..
There's nothing wrong in what he said and this has been proven multiple time. What did 1.2 billion people do when terrorists struck India from 2004-2008 like birthday party galas everyday? Nothing.

Congress has sold off the country many time since Nehru's era of gifting Aksai Chin and letting Khan donate Shaksam Valley to PRC. You want to talk on this, I can go on and on with evidences that you might have not even heard of generally.

India should never sign these kind of agreement, if India sign such and agreement then India will be just another country like UK or Australia.

Just out of curiosity please don't troll this, did Pakistan signed such agreement if not. Then if Pakistan can manage without signing agreement and why can't India. keep in mind Pakistan is operating one of the best US Tech F-16. I am a big fan of this fighter.
I agree. The reason why Pakistan got the latest tech from US was due to cold war and Pakistan's willingness to play a second fiddle to US objectives in Asia. It was good for them because it catapulted them as one of the top militaries around the region but eventually when US moved away, everything is there for the world to see.

We're an independent country and we're better off with rank 2 technology and supreme independence to use it rather than have "the world's best" and let US decide when to use them. Remember that our political wing is nowhere as firm and patriotic as Israeli leaders are so the entire burden of being independent falls on Armed Forces.

Back
Top Bottom