What's new

MoD approves Indian Army's demand for 'mini air force'

+did anyone else notic the fact that each of the IA commands will also get 5 fixed wing platforms? This is pretty big news in itself!

Thanks Abingdonboy! I'd completely overlooked that. Now, I've highlighted it too. :cheers:
But, wondering what kind of fixed wing aircraft IA might look into....:what:

So lets debate on what Fixed wing aircraft must the army have (our wet dreams)

Transport:- C 130 and C-27J

What for? Speacial ops? That's why IAF has procured the C130Js in first place, to provide special forces with the necessary lift capability, be it NSG inside of India, or IA or even IN special forces outside.

CAS:- Harrier

The times of the Harrier is nearing it's end, I often said that IN should have procured some of the British Harriers when they phased it out, instead of N-LCA, would have suited better to the Mig. However, dedicated Harriers for IA is very unlikely now. They are too old and too complicated to fly, which makes training IA pilots for this not useful anymore.
Alternatives are F35B, which is a bad choice since it lost the advantages of the Harrier, good slow speed maneuverability and especially a gun (which needs to be mounted on an external hardpoint). A10, but it's not available, which leaves armed drones as the best choice, but Indian UAV/drone developments are too far away currently, the Israelis somehow didn't integrated weapons to their versions yet, the Europeans in the development of Telemos, which again leaves only US Predator and Reaper drones, but it's doubtful that we would get them.
Another but operationally limited alternative would be CAS aircrafts like a C130 Specter with heavy fire power, but to operate these you need air superioirty and it would come in low numbers only, which makes the deployment to IA airwing not useful.

Heavy attack Helo:- Apache/KA-52

Rudra and LCH of course! IA attack helicopters are mainly needed to support the ground forces, not to do individual attacks on enemy locations. That's where or indigenous versions offers more than enough fire power and capabilities (especially at higher battle grounds) and where we don't have to waste money on more expensive foreign alternatives.
For IAF on the other side, SEAD and pre-emptive strikes are important in early stages of a conflict, that's where the Apache Block 3 would offer good alternative tactics, to fighter attacks and would increase their capabilities.

Heavylift helo:- CH 47B

Heavy lift remains with IAF of course, like all main transport of cargo roles, but a part of the Mi 17s should have been given to IA airwing

Very little difference, as attack helicopters become increasingly more capable.

Actually there is still a very big difference in payload! Combat helicopters can use only rocketpods and ATGMs, CAS fighters on the other side can carry the same + LGBs, PGMs, Cluster- or bunker buster bombs. No matter how the helicopters are improving, they won't add the same fire power of a fighter and that's where the armed drones come in as the next improvement!

- higher payload than helicopters and partially even fighters
- long endurance over a battle field
- good at low and high altitudes
- no pilot that can be killed or needs to be rescued in case it will be shot down

What about Su34 or F 18.....can they be used for CAS role....

Huh?

Well, if you are sitting on the tarmac and have this sudden urge to go blow up a tank sitting outside the Potala, you could.

But it was designed to be a light bomber- deep strike, strategic interdiction, all that kind of thing. A Jaguar on steroids, with an 1100 kms. range.

Thanks Abingdonboy! I'd completely overlooked that. Now, I've highlighted it too. :cheers:
But, wondering what kind of fixed wing aircraft IA might look into....:what:

Since the article says:

five fixed wings aircraft for each of its operational commands.

we can say it must be special purpose aircrafts, because of the low numbers. I would guess Sigint, or Comand and Control aircrafts would make sense or?

What for? Speacial ops? That's why IAF has procured the C130Js in first place, to provide special forces with the necessary lift capability, be it NSG inside of India, or IA or even IN special forces outside.

The times of the Harrier is nearing it's end, I often said that IN should have procured some of the British Harriers when they phased it out, instead of N-LCA, would have suited better to the Mig. However, dedicated Harriers for IA is very unlikely now. They are too old and too complicated to fly, which makes training IA pilots for this not useful anymore.
Alternatives are F35B, which is a bad choice since it lost the advantages of the Harrier, good slow speed maneuverability and especially a gun (which needs to be mounted on an external hardpoint). A10, but it's not available, which leaves armed drones as the best choice, but Indian UAV/drone developments are too far away currently, the Israelis somehow didn't integrated weapons to their versions yet, the Europeans in the development of Telemos, which again leaves only US Predator and Reaper drones, but it's doubtful that we would get them.
Another but operationally limited alternative would be CAS aircrafts like a C130 Specter with heavy fire power, but to operate these you need air superioirty and it would come in low numbers only, which makes the deployment to IA airwing not useful.

Couldn't agree more. ......but, quite optimistic about US drones....:angel:

Since the article says:

we can say it must be special purpose aircrafts, because of the low numbers. I would guess Sigint, or Comand and Control aircrafts would make sense or?

I will stick to my original opinion (#39) until contrary proof emerges. One for each Lt. Gen.

So lets debate on what Fixed wing aircraft must the army have (our wet dreams)

Transport:- C 130 and C-27J
CAS:- Harrier

Even the US army has its own medium lifters like C-130s or CAS a/c like Harriers- A-10s and C-130s are operated by the USA. It is impractical to have fighters like F-18s or CAS a/c like Harriers or A-10s and lifters like C-130s in Army service.

Even the US army has its own medium lifters like C-130s or CAS a/c like Harriers- A-10s and C-130s are operated by the USA. It is impractical to have fighters like F-18s or CAS a/c like Harriers or A-10s and lifters like C-130s in Army service.

Well the thing is faster troops are inserted faster you can take defensive positions. Faster you resupply your troops, faster the job gets done. Thats how warfare has be fought with both surprise, deception and out-thinking the enemy. But Harriers are old aircrafts but they are the best even now in what they do. C 130 or the C 27J can do the above things but a prop driven aircraft like the AN 32 will also do for a start as the resupply of troops after insertion can be done quicker and transport of artillery is also possible in worthy numbers.

pak army just needs a few more 12.7 and 23's to deal with them --- a battery of 4 of the latter for each battalion...

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom