What's new

MKI on the highway !

did I say PAF was the first one, NO but the way Indian Keyboard Air-Marshals were taking PAF landing at Motorway, seems like India got the idea of operational readiness. A quick question, since when IAF has been practicing landing on Motorway
IAF starts these types of exercise recently in 2015.. Not because of IAFs lack of prepared ness.. But it was because of lack of express ways with proper standard.. Also this strategy will only works when nation wide Motorway s are available for this purpose..
There are now a number of express way projects are going on India.. So IAF decided to induct this strategy.. In 2015 the IAF has talked to National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) in this regard. , and the development is under process. In the beginning, 8 highways, in the states bordering with Pakistan, will be made like road-runways. This is only a beginning..
We know PAF is ahead in this strategy with two Motorways M1 & M2.. But with only 2 Motorways, how much this strategy will workout is a challenge.. IAF can easily bomb these 2 along with other air strips..

Bismillah ir Rahman ar Raheem

Was this it (seems fake):

EDIT: That was from Penguin's post (surroundings looked European), I found out:
https://defence.pk/threads/mirage-la...did-it-much-before.377111/page-2#post-7188955

Interestingly, it is not the aircraft's weight, but its tire pressure (weight spread over all wheels) and the downward velocity vector (sink rate) that is most relevant.

Hifz u kum Allah

Thanks for the share brother but this Hercules, landing at Autobahn, during NATO exercise.

Indeed, the most relevant part along with successful landing is, the experience and confidence to do so and Alhamdulillah, we are blessed in these regards that we have minds and muscles both.

We know PAF is ahead in this strategy with two Motorways M1 & M2.. But with only 2 Motorways, how much this strategy will workout is a challenge.. IAF can easily bomb these 2 along with other air strips..

Credit must be given, where it is due.

What make you think that it is only a few KMs strip that Pakistan will ever rely upon, in-case of dependency on such type of runways. Only few spots are made public for the showpiece purpose as there are different points but not shared due to strategic values. Just have a visit on Pakistani Motorway in any region and you will have an Idea. Yes, India can easily do anything that we will be just waiving flags and would be cheering while IAF would be doing so, bombing everything. What make you think that we are relying on only these 2 but it is the mindset that you have to move further than, we can bomb everything in Pakistan.

The day IAF landed a heavy aircraft like Hercules on any expressway/motorway, come back to tell us (we have no issue if India progress in this regard that will ultimately help people for travel as well). The real thing is, in this department, you have just started to show progress and growth and we are already way ahead, in-case as you are interested for measuring contest and that bombarding thing.

The day IAF landed a heavy aircraft like Hercules on any expressway/motorway, come back to tell us (we have no issue if India progress in this regard that will ultimately help people for travel as well)..
Not a motorway landing, but a far more difficult one.....on the world's highest airstrip (at 16000 Ft. plus).
And this one of a C17 landing at ALG Mechuka, Arunachal Pradesh. Mechuka has a very difficult approach and the runway length is quite prohibitive.
The C17 had to use thrust reversers during landing here.

Last edited:
Not a motorway landing, but a far more difficult one.....on the world's highest airstrip (at 16000 Ft. plus).
But that's not on a motorway so don't expect our good neighbours to contest with you about this one. They are capable and pioneers in motorway landings and they only want to discuss about it.

By a C130!!
Do you know what is the difference between fighter jet landing and a bulky transport propeller plane landing? :)

View attachment 353603 agra lakhnow highway, they landed and take off the su30mki !!
Wow!!
Nice pic

So the MKI have better tyres than the Mirages?

And this one of a C17 landing at ALG Mechuka, Arunachal Pradesh. Mechuka has a very difficult approach and the runway length is quite prohibitive.
The C17 had to use thrust reversers during landing here.

o you just break so many hearts !!

thanks for the video.

By a C130!!
Do you know what is the difference between fighter jet landing and a bulky transport propeller plane landing? :)

Sir, Maybe the landing speeds are slower?
The dust kick up would have destroyed the AL31's on the Sukhoi and if it were to be our Foxbat, then the entire runway would have have been sucked into the intakes.
:D

Sir, Maybe the landing speeds are slower?
The dust kick up would have destroyed the AL31's on the Sukhoi and if it were to be our Foxbat, then the entire runway would have have been sucked into the intakes.
:D
EXACTLY!!
This and a few more things too. So if you know this already i am wondering what made you compare a jet landing (the ones on the motorway that failed) with a C130 in this "difficult" terrain!!

By the way, i hope you are aware of the fact that C130 is designed to be able to take off and land on semi-prepared runways. :) The jet fighters are NOT!

EXACTLY!!
This and a few more things too. So if you know this already i am wondering what made you compare a jet landing (the ones on the motorway that failed) with a C130 in this "difficult" terrain!!
Not exactly comparing but just pointing out that Landing at DBO (after crossing some of the tallest peaks in the world) would be a lot more difficult than a relatively straight forward motorway landing.
If the IAF had landed a C130 on a carrier on a moonless night, I would have posted that here instead.

By the way, i hope you are aware of the fact that C130 is designed to be able to take off and land on semi-prepared runways. :) The jet fighters are NOT!
There is this weird bird in our inventory that can fly 30 Ft. off the ground at very high speeds that also has astonishing rough terrain landing capability.
Presenting the SEPECAT Jaguar

Not exactly comparing but just pointing out that Landing at DBO (after crossing some of the tallest peaks in the world) would be a lot more difficult than a relatively straight forward motorway landing.
If the IAF had landed a C130 on a carrier on a moonless night, I would have posted that here instead.
Well actually, this is comparing. :) A C130 landing on a rough terrain on a moonless night cross the peaks is one thing but still and a high speed jet landing on motorway is another. I mean, i wont give preference to one over the other how both are not comparable or replaceable either. Bringing in the C130 on a thread discussing MKI landings on the failure of Mirage to land is a bit off topic and derailing the thread. I am sure you do not want that right? :)

Bringing in the C130 on a thread discussing MKI landings on the failure of Mirage to land is a bit off topic and derailing the thread. I am sure you do not want that right? :)
Sir, I surely am not the one bringing in Hercules into the thread.
I just replied to the ones that did.
And how did you conclude that the Mirage failed?
Did you go through the operational parameters or their validation post op?

Last edited:
Sir, I surely am not the one bringing in Hercules into the thread.
I just replied to the ones that did.

A member asked for the picture and it was not quoted as some of the individual achievement as NATO landed the same on the beach even, then again it was quoted as the quality/wideness/sustaining wieght of Motorways and being used for both type planes in Pakistan.

21Nov154U.jpg

21Nov155U.jpg

21Nov156U.jpg

21Nov157U.jpg

21Nov158U.jpg

21Nov175U.jpg

Then that must also be the reason your country is having a go at it knowing well that PAF will decimate all it's bases and assets in the initial stages of war.
Good luck with that.

The PAF can only be employed in a defensive role, it doesn't have anything like the means to "decimate" all IAF bases or even get close to most of them.

None said anything about mimicker etc at all but the Irony is, when IAF only touch down the motorway, many trolls forget their approach about PAF successful exercise with fully landing and turn around. You can share with us such kind of exercises being carried by IAF through any Aircraft but we feel proud to lead the way and being one of the very few Air-forces in the world, in this department.
Still haven't sent your premier fighter (F-16) to do this though.

There's too much pointless false equivlency in this thread. Just because the PAF does something does not mean the iAF has to do it, the two nations/AFs are not even remotely in the same catergory or under the same compulsions. The IAF has a greater depth and redundancy as well as greater resources allowing for a more agressive offensive policy. The PAF has to rely on highway landings as they know they will be targeted without mercy in case of conflict and their airbases are extremely vulnerable.

Just look at the distribution of PAF airbases to see why the PAF needs to rely on highway operations and the IAF has only recently started toying with the idea (more for contingency reasons and not out of necessity):

pakistan-map-airbase.gif

Back
Top Bottom