What's new

Mirage landing is a big thing but Pakistan did it much before

you can take shelter underneath as well , i am sure there would be more like these available to you guys soon as they are flopped, look for tejas version in your locality . keep me updated .

haha..Who doesn't want one of those jets in his backyard..

Do you know that you can also launch aircraft from grass land by dolly. Like me 163 komet arado bomber.Also there are landing skid designs but roads are also enough for now if high quantity.air based second strike cap would be bonus

A PAF F-7PG and a Mirage landing on the Motorway during High-mark 2010 Exercise.
Note trees adjacent to Motorway had to be trimmed for wing space.

f-7+paf.jpg

main.php

I don't see the point here.

Ofcourse Pakistan did it first.

Pakistan is a small country that has a much larger and much more powerful country as its enemy- India.

They know their airbases will be completely destroyed in the first 48 hours of any war now. So it is only logical that they will prepare alternative places where their planes can land.

The same way Israel has practiced this for decades now.

On the other hand, India is a very large country with a very large number of airbases and airstrips located throughout the land so IAF had no need to do this, which is why they are taking this as a luxury.

What is the need of this when we have Bases as far as North east and South India,even 200 km around this Highway,there are Atleast four Airbases,This is redundant for geographically big countries.
Air bases are fixed in place and their locations know (detectable by a variety of reconnaissance means). At the outbreak and during conflict they will be targeted for destruction as the combattants struggle for aerial dominance or supremacy.

Stanley-Airport-Runway-Bomb-Craters-04a-740x540.jpg

cpgw_153ta.jpg

Use of highways as primary, back-up or dispersal airfields reduces the chances of having aircraft but no places to fly them from.

This has been routine practice since WW2 e.g. in Finland (F-18, Mig 21), Sweden (J-35, J-37, J-39), Switzerland (F-18, F-5, Mirage) and many other countries.

maxresdefault.jpg

kliniska_ladowanie2003.jpg

28-3-2002-9-9-saab_jas-39_gripen_landing_on_highway_with_polish_flag.jpg

830101-F-15+from+Kadena+AB,+Japan,+lands+on+a+highway+as+part+of+simulated+warfare+tactics,+during+exercise+Team+Spirit+83_2.jpg

Air bases are fixed in place and their locations know (detectable by a variety of reconnaissance means). At the outbreak and during conflict they will be targeted for destruction as the combattants struggle for aerial dominance or supremacy.

I have one query. Your argument no doubt makes sense but is it also not true that these highways and land strips will have to be near the airport/air base?

For example if the enemy comes and destroys your air field then you use the highway, but you cannot "drive" the fully armed and fuelled jet on the highway like any automobile. The highway has to be near the airfield. And since this practice is all too common then it is possible that the enemy commander would not only bomb the air base but also nearby highways, and highways being means of communication would be targetted in any case like bridges and railways.

Your thoughts please.

I don't see the point here.

Ofcourse Pakistan did it first.

Pakistan is a small country that has a much larger and much more powerful country as its enemy- India.

They know their airbases will be completely destroyed in the first 48 hours of any war now. So it is only logical that they will prepare alternative places where their planes can land.

The same way Israel has practiced this for decades now.

On the other hand, India is a very large country with a very large number of airbases and airstrips located throughout the land so IAF had no need to do this, which is why they are taking this as a luxury.

Really I mean really ??? sure you not joking ??? 48 Hours ??? i mean Really ???
Go read kid 4 wars fought between us get me some reports of how many aircrafts destroyed on our side and how many on your ? And in which war you had the air dominance out of the 4 ??? 48 hours huff ......:coffee:

And in which war you had the air dominance out of the 4

47 was not really a air war. It was more like Kargil in a sense, localised heavy army warfare.

65, okay you guys managed to get a good hit. Will give you that.

71, that was India's air war completely.

99, undisputed Indian air war.

But I agree the 48 hour stuff is bollywood propaganda and that fellow is obviously trolling or pulling your leg.

I have one query. Your argument no doubt makes sense but is it also not true that these highways and land strips will have to be near the airport/air base?

For example if the enemy comes and destroys your air field then you use the highway, but you cannot "drive" the fully armed and fuelled jet on the highway like any automobile. The highway has to be near the airfield. And since this practice is all too common then it is possible that the enemy commander would not only bomb the air base but also nearby highways, and highways being means of communication would be targetted in any case like bridges and railways.

Your thoughts please.
They can but need not be near. If not near, the aircraft fly there. Support equipment is already in place in hidden storage nearby the particular (prepared) highway section. For unprepared sites, you would need some mobile units (you could use heli's to ferry in fuel bladders, ordnance and light support vehicles, or larger vehicles could be used to drive equipment and supplies in)
Highway strip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1920px-A-10_Thunderbolt_II_takeoff_on_Autobahn_DoD_DF-ST-85-05084.jpg

1920px-Thunderbold_II_A10_landing_on_autobahn_1984_DoD_DF-ST-84-09440.jpg

1920px-Hercules_C130_landing_on_Autobahn_DoD_DF-ST-84-09441.jpg

Autobahn_Notlandeplatz_A29_Ahlhorn_DoD_DF-ST-85-05075.jpg

Last edited:
47 was not really a air war. It was more like Kargil in a sense, localised heavy army warfare.
Agreed.!!

65, okay you guys managed to get a good hit. Will give you that.
No doubt about it.

71, that was India's air war completely.
In Eastern sector yes because India had 10 :1 numerical superiority but in West, ''Chuck'' Yeagar's statement is not off the mark.

99, undisputed Indian air war.
You are contradicting your own above statement, alas it was a local war, IAF did all operations within it's own side of LOC. !!!

But I agree the 48 hour stuff is bollywood propaganda and that fellow is obviously trolling or pulling your leg.
Obviously he's oblivious to the events of 28/29 May 2002. !

F5E_J3037.jpg

F-5 Tiger blatantly disregarding Swiss Highway Code

8br0.jpg

LIkewise Mirage III

Swiss situation is different in that the airbase itself is built into a mountain and public roads are used for outside infra.

Situation is a little different for STOVL aircraft: Harriers operated from forward operating bases, which could be sert up pretty much anywhere. Often practices with BOAR in Europe. Operationally e.g. at Falklands.

San-Carlos-FOB-Falkland-Islands-Build-02.jpg

B7evMXKCYAADMbt.jpg

San-Carlos-FOB-Falkland-Islands-Harrier-and-Helicopter-Operations-07.jpg

San-Carlos-FOB-Falkland-Islands-Harrier-and-Helicopter-Operations-06.jpg

San-Carlos-FOB-Falkland-Islands-Build-03.jpg

But in Germany (note the 'Parkplatz' sign in the back), Harriers used highways rather then the improvised field strip. See the center barrier: it is still in place. Therefore, this is a regular piece of road, not a prepared highway strip.
RAF-Harrier-GR.1-Road-Operations.jpg

USMC experience noted in:
Looking Forward to an F35 Future – Part 5 (By Sea By Land) - Think Defence

Back
Top Bottom