What's new

MKI GIB or WSO

CanadianPad

New Recruit

Reaction score
I was wondering about the back seater on the MKI.
Does it give the MKI advantage over single pilot fighter?

Is it likely that the MKI will detect and get the first shot off causing the other pilot to be in a defensive state?

Depends. But if i were to give a general answer-yes. The 'back seater' is invaluable in SEAD/DEAD and other strike missions. It allows the pilot to concentrate on flying while the WSO can focus only on the strike mission. Or while in search mode, the WSO's job is to the electronic signaling/jamming/etc.

It definitely makes the job of the pilot more simple and the increase the overall efficiency of the plane, especially in long duration missions.

The extra pair of eyes also helps greatly in dogfights, but here is a disadvantage as well. Having the WSO also increases the plane size by a decent amount, thus making the plane easier to spot by the adversary as well. The single seater planes are smaller in comparison.

Overall, i'd say its definitely better.

I was wondering about the back seater on the MKI.
Does it give the MKI advantage over single pilot fighter?

Is it likely that the MKI will detect and get the first shot off causing the other pilot to be in a defensive state?

Definitely an advantage in most situations. However, having a second crew member in the plane increase the cost of operations.

Oh i forgot to mention, having a WSO increases the plane size, and there is an advantage there as well-the radar that can be fitted on the plane can be MUCH bigger compared to a single seater fighter, the EW equipment carried can also be increased, but the flight operations costs also increase dramatically.

Basically, if you can afford it, and find the sufficient number of pilots, you'd be going for a 2 seater. Most big airforces have a combination of their Heavy planes(main fighter)-2 seaters, the medium sized planes-1 or 2 seater, and the light planes-single seater.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom