What's new

Mission Sabotage CPEC: Plan for Gwadar Electricity Power Plant Scraped

This is a good decision. The previous proposal was based on imported coal which is economically not viable anymore and prone to international price spikes.

While this new Power Plant is built by PDM government in Tharparkar and Gwader is connected to main Grid, how are you planning to power the proposed Industrial Zones, Gwader Airport and Gwadar Port ?

But still, all-in-all it might be a good decision if the (1) goal is to piss off Chinese and (2) for Pakistan to get stuck with debt incurred by infrastructure projects without revenue producing projects having any chance to go online any time soon :wave:

Last edited:
While this new Power Plant is built by PDM government in Tharparkar and Gwader is connected to main Grid, how are you planning to power the proposed Industrial Zones, Gwader Airport and Gwadar Port ?

But still, all-in-all it might be a good decision if the (1) goal is to piss off Chinese and (2) for Pakistan to get stuck with debt incurred by infrastructure projects without revenue producing projects having any chance to go online any time soon :wave:
You are suggesting to rush into short term gains which Pakistan has tried since late 1990s and is the root cause of our miserable economic structural issues.

The time it takes to build a power plant should be similar it will take to connect Gawadar to the national grid. No more short-sighted solutions. This plant should not be built.

Government of Pakistan made an agreement with China to install a 300 MW power plant for Gwadar in 2019. Electricity to Gwader is supplied by Iran since Gwadar is not connected to Pakistan's main power grid. However according to recent reports, Govt. of Pakistan has now scrapped the plan to install this plant in Gwadar and proposed for it to move to Tharparkar region.
Bye bye CPEC :sniper:

Tagging @blain2 here so that he can listen to a bit different point of view.

@ghazi52

I do not find this critic credible.

"Amreeka ko khush karnay lay liye" - says it all. This man has no argument.

I had underestimated(putting it mildly) the impact or level of coercion a bureaucratic, institutional, monetary, indeed! political, military and intellectual/psychological continuation of the British Raj... running a state vicariously.
If it indeed remains to be said,
Pakistanis are NOT free!
The three centuries of serfdom reinvigorates/reincarnates ever more forcefully lockstep in the direction set long ago.
Hope though remains but in the ashes of current paradigm. I personally, do not see a switch anytime soon... as by now the system is so fine tuned that the actors merely sleep walk in the desired direction. Indeed they have been rather instrumental in furthering the cause of the empire and sticking with it through thick and thin.
CPEC, though is and was never the point... it was for once the hope... continuation or rather a reset, of a historic barricade set up by the empire. A Eurasian continuity, people's, ideas and trades flowing once more(how naive of me imagining a people so thoroughly colonized, they aim to be brits outside of it's confines).
Recalibration, realization and reorientation of the masses of once again being free and not agenda driven bots of the Empire.

یہ سالے گوادر کو دوبئی بنائیں گے دوبئی کی بجلی کسی ہمسائے ملک سے آتی ہے ؟

I do not find this critic credible.

"Amreeka ko khush karnay lay liye" - says it all. This man has no argument.

He did not try to make an argument because he was addressing the audiences who were expected to be familiar with this pint of view on this topic from previous sessions.
You may not be familiar with Imtiaz Gul. Search his name on google and the books that he has written & papers that he has published. Or alternatively you can search Library of Congress for his publications.

He is director of enter for Research and Security Studies in Islamabad. He is known to have connections in Beijing and is invited to comment on many China-Pakistan related questions.

His Biography: https://imtiazgul.com/biography/

His Interview with Al-Jazeera
His Lecture in USA.

Last edited:
Government of Pakistan made an agreement with China to install a 300 MW power plant for Gwadar in 2019. Electricity to Gwader is supplied by Iran since Gwadar is not connected to Pakistan's main power grid. However according to recent reports, Govt. of Pakistan has now scrapped the plan to install this plant in Gwadar and proposed for it to move to Tharparkar region.

@ghazi52
What sabotage? Gwadar is sabotaged by baloch terrorists to begin with. And Pakistan state cannot afford more power plants based on imported fuel, so shifting to Thar coal is ideal.

Building imported coal/gas power plants was biggest disaster of Nawaz era. Pakistan could have waited few more years to end load shedding with Thar plants.

@ghazi52
Lotay aaa gye

He did not try to make an argument because he was addressing the audiences who were expected to be familiar with this pint of view on this topic from previous sessions.
You may not be familiar with Imtiaz Gul. Search his name on google and the books that he has written & papers that he has published. Or alternatively you can search Library of Congress for his publications.

He is director of enter for Research and Security Studies in Islamabad. He is known to have connections in Beijing and is invited to comment on many China-Pakistan related questions.

His Biography: https://imtiazgul.com/biography/

His Interview with Al-Jazeera
His Lecture in USA.

Thanks for this information.

I expect better from a man of his credentials to evaluate CPEC challenges than "Amreeka ko khush karnay lay liye." This type of talk is equally damaging.

American modus operandi is to apply sanctions on any development that they might find objectionable around the world. They have not applied sanctions on CPEC because this step will damage Pakistan's economy and efforts to develop infrastructure for its needs. This is too much even in their calculus unless Pakistan does something to antagonize US.

Why fellow Pakistani are so eager to drag US into every issue of Pakistan?

There might be a technical reason or financial reason to create a power plant in Tharparkar. There might be an explanation for this move.

CPEC projects can be revisited in view of Pakistan's own calculations and concerns. PTI-led GOP did the same in the larger interest of the country but opposition attempted to politicize this matter with "conspiracy" slogans. I recall Asad Umar cautioning everybody to NOT do this because this will damage Pakistan.

This is unfortunate trend.

CPEC projects can be revisited in view of Pakistan's own calculations and concerns. PTI-led GOP did the same in the larger interest of the country but opposition attempted to politicize this matter with "conspiracy" slogans. I recall Asad Umar cautioning everybody to NOT do this because this will damage Pakistan.

This is unfortunate trend.

I wrongly assumed that most of members here understand the urgent need for construction of any power plant in Gwadar as soon as possible, regardless if it runs on imported coal or not. Now I understand the drawback of an imported coal power plant in Sahiwal where just cost of transporting coal from Karachi port to Sahiwal add PKR 5 per unit to the cost of generated electricity.

However Gwadar issue is much different. Just Take
Gwader Free Zone, which is an export-only industrial zone. Exports' from this zone is expected to generate around $10 billion of net revenue (when fully operational) as per year 2020 presentation slides. Now even if it costs $200 million to import coal to run a power plant in Gwadar, it is in Pakistan's interest to get that Gwader Free Zone (b) up and running ASAP because revenue from exports can offset that small number of dollars required to import coal.

And I have not yet included operations from Gwader port and two Industrial Zones.

And you see, delaying the power plant is equivalent of losing billions of dollars of protentional revenue each year. May be Power Plant agreement signed in 2019 did not earn kick-backs for officials so it is necessary to sign new agreement with fat kick-backs.

@epebble

Last edited:
@Crimson Blue

I liked your response because this is the type of debate WE should be having in our discourses. But conspiracy sells.

One point though - overoptimistic projections. Common theme in CPEC.

I will explore the topic of Gwadar power plant and get back to you.

Some members have provided meaningful arguments here so you can look into them meanwhile.

Back
Top Bottom