What's new

MIG-41 – A NEW MACH 4+ FIGHTER

Speed is not everything, in fact Speed is not that relevant anymore in aerial Combat as Avionics.

There is reason why US is planning SR 72 whcih capabl;e of attaining speed of Mach 6.

Although it is for reconnaissance , I beleive Mig 41 is being planned as answer to SR 72, just like Mig 31 was answer for SR 71 and its deployment reduced sorties of SR 71s spying Sovet Union's Northen border.

Last edited:
There is erason why US is planning SR 72 whcih capabl;e of attaining speed of Mach 6.

Although it is for reconnaissance , I beleive Mig 41 is being planned as answer to SR 72, just like Mig 31 was answer for SR 71 and its deployment reduced sorties of SR 71s spying Sovet Union's Northen border.
their is no SR72 and no Mig41:hitwall::girl_wacko::blah::blah:

Personally, i'm not a fan of pipe-dream aircraft - fan-boys tend to exaggerate their existence, capabilities, probability of actually getting constructed, etc. There is a lot of "it will do X" where X is some imaginary thing. Sure, Russia is about to build Klingon Bird of Preys, yeah...

Believe it when it is operational. Other than that it is some fan-boy imagining his country has a capability it doesn't actually have, and may never have.

There have been rumors for decades in the US about "Aurora" and pulse-det aircraft. Maybe something is in the experimental stages, maybe even a secret aircraft, but I'll wait till they actually show one off to believe it. Likewise with Russian, Chinese, Pakistani, etc aircraft that are in development. Getting it to work in the lab isn't the same as a fieldable piece of equipment.

@Oldman1
It is still "envisioned as" (straight from LM's page). Anyone can write anything and try to get money for it. Call me when it's done.

I don't want to be completely dismissive, you have to start somewhere. But don't start bragging till it's a done deal. "We're working on ____" just leads to pissing matches here. Everyone is working on building a Death Star, or whatever magic thing will defeat all foes. Working on doesn't mean a completed, working product. That's when you brag, if you are so inclined.

@Oldman1
It is still "envisioned as" (straight from LM's page). Anyone can write anything and try to get money for it. Call me when it's done.

I don't want to be completely dismissive, you have to start somewhere. But don't start bragging till it's a done deal. "We're working on ____" just leads to pissing matches here. Everyone is working on building a Death Star, or whatever magic thing will defeat all foes. Working on doesn't mean a completed, working product. That's when you brag, if you are so inclined.

Call me when a stealth helicopter is truly done with pics, until then it doesn't exist.

we can say that it will probably be a heavily armed interceptor with high service ceiling and – obviously – a very high speed.
They should rather work on a bomber or strike platform capable of achieving Mach 4+SC. An interecepter like Mig-31 will also become obsolete like its predecessor because the strike role, conventionally handled by bombers, is now rapidly assumed by fighters. Both Mig-25 and Mig-31 are also famous for another thing aside from their speed, their very poor maneuverability. In any case, a fighter flying at 3+ Mach is not expected to achieve anything more than flying straight.

Speed is not everything, in fact Speed is not that relevant anymore in aerial Combat as Avionics.
A very shortsighted comment.

If I can fly high and be protected from you, then speed is irrelevant, like how the U-2 did it. But when you can reach me on high, then I will fly low and fast, like how the B-1 does it. Or if I need to see everything, I will fly high and fast, like how the SR-71 does it.

Here is why Russians are smart

Stealth adversary when spotted visually , the only way it can escape is speed up and jet out of danger
Guess what if you are being chased by 5 Mig-41 , the billion dollar F-35 might not make it home

F-35
Maximum speed: Mach 1.6+ (1,200 mph, 1,930 km/h) (tested to Mach 1.61)

VS

Mig-41 major mismatch if planes make visual contact (Top Speed 5,000+km/hr)

That is just rediculous amount of speed

Last edited:
Here is why Russians are smart

Stealth adversary when spotted visually , the only way it can escape is speed up and jet out of danger
Guess what if you are being chased by 5 Mig-41 , the billion dollar F-35 might not make it home

F-35
Maximum speed: Mach 1.6+ (1,200 mph, 1,930 km/h) (tested to Mach 1.61)

VS

Mig-41 major mismatch if planes make visual contact (Top Speed 5,000+km/hr)

That is just rediculous amount of speed

Not necessarily - that kind of speed is a disadvantage in a dogfight, as it increases your turning radius. You get a head to head pass, and the guy at optimal turning speed gets behind you - your only option as the faster plane is to keep going. If there are multiple bogies, you got problems, gotta keep going past them all.

For reference, the SR-71 had a turning radius at speed of ~100miles (150+km).

Speed is most useful for performing intercepts - you can get to an un-agile target faster. This is one of the reasons why the US Navy retired the F-14. It was faster, and had longer ranged, faster missiles, but... the F-18 was more agile, more versatile, and the Navy believed that future engagements would be decided by the missile guidance system rather than the pilot racing out to get there before the inbound aircraft could launch/drop bombs.

Me-262s had problems against P-51s if they tried to engage in a turning battle. Their tactic was to make a pass, then loop way out around to come back for a second pass. You need good range for that (a problem for the MiG-25). Works better when the target is even less agile (e.g. bombers). Good range and high speed mean huge size and NO agility (e.g. SR-71). Cutting size to gain agility cuts fuel load. Cutting speed will cut both, but then we're not talking about the OP's aircraft anymore.

Appearances are the Russia intends to invest in both interceptors (MiG-41) and fighters (Su-27 family). You build planes for a purpose. Assuming this one ever gets built, it is not for engaging F-16s, it is for going after bombers. The US still maintains a bomber fleet - its not all about building aircraft suitable for Pakistan. I suspect this one would have no real purpose in the PAF, other than as a bragging point. You're better off with more multi-purpose aircraft, as India has no special purpose penetrators of note (e.g. B-1, B-2, B-52, who knows what on the drawing board - India's got nothing in that class).

India has apparently considered getting Tu-22Ms, in which case you might think about an aircraft of this type to counter - though you can probably intercept a Tu-22 with an F-16, which would be much cheaper and preserve flexibility over a dedicated interceptor with no other use.

Tu-142s are easy meat for F-16s, waste of money to get a high speed interceptor for that.

This whole thing reminds me of the MiG 1.44 project - faded off in to nothing. Before it did, Russian-airfan-boys were all over it as the ultimate aircraft. Wait till they actual have a production line running. Writing an essay about your dream aircraft is cheap. Producing it is another matter.

Not necessarily - that kind of speed is a disadvantage in a dogfight, as it increases your turning radius. You get a head to head pass, and the guy at optimal turning speed gets behind you - your only option as the faster plane is to keep going. If there are multiple bogies, you got problems, gotta keep going past them all.

For reference, the SR-71 had a turning radius at speed of ~100miles (150+km).

Speed is most useful for performing intercepts - you can get to an un-agile target faster. This is one of the reasons why the US Navy retired the F-14. It was faster, and had longer ranged, faster missiles, but... the F-18 was more agile, more versatile, and the Navy believed that future engagements would be decided by the missile guidance system rather than the pilot racing out to get there before the inbound aircraft could launch/drop bombs.

Me-262s had problems against P-51s if they tried to engage in a turning battle. Their tactic was to make a pass, then loop way out around to come back for a second pass. You need good range for that (a problem for the MiG-25). Works better when the target is even less agile (e.g. bombers). Good range and high speed mean huge size and NO agility (e.g. SR-71). Cutting size to gain agility cuts fuel load. Cutting speed will cut both, but then we're not talking about the OP's aircraft anymore.

Appearances are the Russia intends to invest in both interceptors (MiG-41) and fighters (Su-27 family). You build planes for a purpose. Assuming this one ever gets built, it is not for engaging F-16s, it is for going after bombers. The US still maintains a bomber fleet - its not all about building aircraft suitable for Pakistan. I suspect this one would have no real purpose in the PAF, other than as a bragging point. You're better off with more multi-purpose aircraft, as India has no special purpose penetrators of note (e.g. B-1, B-2, B-52, who knows what on the drawing board - India's got nothing in that class).

India has apparently considered getting Tu-22Ms, in which case you might think about an aircraft of this type to counter - though you can probably intercept a Tu-22 with an F-16, which would be much cheaper and preserve flexibility over a dedicated interceptor with no other use.

Tu-142s are easy meat for F-16s, waste of money to get a high speed interceptor for that.

This whole thing reminds me of the MiG 1.44 project - faded off in to nothing. Before it did, Russian-airfan-boys were all over it as the ultimate aircraft. Wait till they actual have a production line running. Writing an essay about your dream aircraft is cheap. Producing it is another matter.
you are right on the spot Mr

Back
Top Bottom