What's new

MIG-21 crashes in Rajasthan, pilot dies

rip to the man.

Guys please don't the machine before the cause is determined. Type-96 is of-course obosolete. But the bisons are good,right?

BTW,the pilot is antony's state,hope he takes adequate steps.

the Bisons are good but the obsolescent type 87's 88's 89's 96's etc are all crap they're service life was over well over 15 years ago yet they are still in service today ^__^

i'm pretty sure the crash was because of the age of the aircraft not because of pilot error then again we lack a good quantity of AJT's so it could have been pilot error but we'll have to wait and see but my money is on old age of aircraft

Even the dead soilders silence sings our National anthem.....i know even now if you ask his soul that wether he will be like serve his country in his next birth....the answer will be Yes.....Shame on our leaders who don't know the value of soilders....RIP...may god bless his soul....shame on us too that we are not able to choose right leaders who can value the life of a soilder....

the Bisons are good but the obsolescent type 87's 88's 89's 96's etc are all crap they're service life was over well over 15 years ago yet they are still in service today ^__^

i'm pretty sure the crash was because of the age of the aircraft not because of pilot error then again we lack a good quantity of AJT's so it could have been pilot error but we'll have to wait and see but my money is on old age of aircraft
But it should not be over looked that IAF was able to bring down the no.crashes than the past. With the Bae hawks entering service,the training issue can be cleared.

End of the MiG era by 2017, says Antony

EW DELHI: Russian-origin MiG-21s were the first truly supersonic fighter jets to be inducted into IAF in 1963, which then was a move by India to counter the F-104 Starfighters provided to Pakistan by US.

The MiG-23s, MiG-25s, MiG-27s and MiG-29s, each with their own specific roles, followed in later years. The MiGs, in fact, once constituted over 75% of India's combat fleet, and still constitute a bulk of it. But now, with IAF going in for modern fighters, the end of the entire MiG era, except for the latest MiG-29s, is in sight.

"We have got a clear-cut plan to replace them. By 2017, the entire MiG series will be replaced in a phased manner, that is from 2014 onwards,'' said defence minister A K Antony in Rajya Sabha on Wednesday.

In the years ahead, India's frontline combat fighters will have 270 Russian Sukhoi-30MKIs already being inducted for around $12 billion, the 126 new medium multi-role combat aircraft to be acquired in the $10.4 billion MMRCA project and the 250 to 300 fifth-generation fighter aircraft to be built with Russia in the gigantic $35 billion project.

Moreover, induction of the first 40 of the indigenous Tejas light combat aircraft will also begin towards end-2013, with the first two squadrons becoming fully operational at the Sulur airbase (Tamil Nadu) by 2015 or so, a full three decades after the LCA project was first sanctioned to replace the ageing MiG-21s.

Antony, on his part, assured Parliament that large-scale induction of Sukhoi-30MKIs, LCA and MMRCA would take place within the next few years, while acknowledging such an exercise could not take place in the past due to "historical reasons''.

While the single-engined, delta-winged MiG-21s did indeed provide yeoman service to India over the decades, the high crash record of these highly-demanding fighters have also scarred the nation.

Of the 793 MiG-21s inducted into IAF since 1963, over 350 have been lost in accidents. IAF has recorded 40 crashes in just the last three years, a majority of them being MiGs, which killed 16 pilots, 24 service personnel and five civilians.

With several design limitations due to their 1960s and 1970s vintage, coupled with shoddy maintenance and poor quality control of spares, as well as inadequate training to rookie pilots, the MiG-21s even came to be known as the "flying coffins''.

Even the track-record of the "Bisons'', the 125 MiG-21s upgraded with new avionics, improved gearboxes and cockpits, and the capability to fire some BVR (beyond-visual range) missiles, has not been free from controversies. But faced with the huge delays in Tejas, IAF plans to operate the "Bisons'' till at least 2017.

^^^^ still 2017....does he think that any mig 21 will left by then for the retirement ceremony

^^^^ still 2017....does he think that any mig 21 will left by then for the retirement ceremony

I think I can shed some light on his thinking.
"Hmm...10 Bison crashes per year spread over the next 6 years makes 60-70 planes crashed.We would still be left with around 290 Bisons.Enough for retirement. Plus my wife sure to make a killing as a part-time LIC agent. All these pilots would be running to get insurance covers." :hitwall:

I think I can shed some light on his thinking.
"Hmm...10 Bison crashes per year spread over the next 6 years makes 60-70 planes crashed.We would still be left with around 290 Bisons.Enough for retirement. Plus my wife sure to make a killing as a part-time LIC agent. All these pilots would be running to get insurance covers." :hitwall:
sir ..we have 125 mig21 you can through 34th post of this thread......and what a shame that we have lost 350 mig 21 in crashes...

Oh man so its Mig-21 once again,

Its Abusrd isn't it an airforce considered among top 5 largest airforces in the world with a handsome budget is still operating such obsolete aircrafts and loosing its own pilots. It takes years for a pilot to reach this stage ,after so much of hardwork and extensive training a person becomes a pilot and with how cheaply he looses his life and with him burreis his own and his familiy's hopes.

I dont know why your Naita's are playing foolish, i mean india has all the budget and all the suppliers to go for still they are unable to... i mean whole word is offering india there best aircrafts and india can afford this but still they are committing blunders after blunders

MRCA deal is lingering around for so long when each and everyone has failed to understand the logic behind this, Even a kid knows that mig-21's , mig-27's and Jaguars had enough of there life and they are due to be replaced but still your people are playing like fools .

They need to be asked... but who will ask them? the biggest question lies here

RIP to the jawan.
offtopic rant : Paf has better maintained their limited resources as compared to Iaf.

I am tired of the entire MiG series....except the Mig 29.

RIP to the jawan.
offtopic rant : Paf has better maintained their limited resources as compared to Iaf.

Agree, yes we also operate a large number of mig-21 based F-7's ,though we also have few crashes throughout there life but ALHAMDOLILLAH over crash rate is much much less than IAF migs ,

I want these crashes to happen on parliament, rashtrapati bhavan, south block, 10 janpat, 7RCR etc...but the pilot ejecting safely in these crashes....

how about your own home? before you wish for death to others you should walk a mile in their shoes. we are not our neighbors how kill any one who does not agree with them .

The babus are so insensitive to these happenings!!!!!!! May they rot in hell. RIP o brave son of this country. We could learn on this from PAF who have better management skills.

Back
Top Bottom