What's new

MFN status for India recommended: panel recommends Wahgah border opening

Again, talking about 'potential' is meaningless so long as progress is not made on removing barriers to Pakistani exports to India.

Perhaps your view of 'potential' is more optimistic since in the current scenario Indian exports to Pakistan would boom while Pakistani exports to India would continue to lag behind, partially as a result of those aforementioned barriers.

You cannot just focus on 'potential' while ignoring issues that make trade unfair for one side or the other.

Channels must be opened to let free trade flow from both sides.Though it depends upon the trading bodies to decide what commodity to import/export.We have massive textile Industries in India which need cheap raw materials.Cotton from Pakistan may just suit the needs.

List of textile based industries in India

Our Punjab is moving towards next level from agriculture to Industrialization. It will have robust growth no matter what.

But in this thread we are talking about India-Pakistan.

lol, Mine punjab;s growth has slowed down....thanks to Akali dal.

I dont see any industry coming to punjab..............hell even Relaince ran away due to akali dal.:partay:

long live badal di sakar:bunny:

Channels must be opened to let free trade flow from both sides.Though it depends upon the trading bodies to decide what commodity to import/export.We have massive textile Industries in India which need cheap raw materials.Cotton from Pakistan may just suit the needs.

List of textile based industries in India

We have our own textile industry and India is herself a major cotton producer.

We would prefer that Indians consume less of our cotton and more of our textiles. Then you can sell us cotton to cover the shortfall in domestic cotton production.

I'm sorry, but it is rather annoying to hear Indians in favor of open trade between India and Pakistan expecting Pakistanis to 'rejoice at the potential' of Pakistan selling raw products to India while importing value added products at a greater expense from India.

We have plenty of markets for our cotton without having to export to India, and some would want a ban on all cotton exports in any case, to ensure cheap availability of cotton in Pakistan for the textile industry.

:D :D ^^^ Agno thought that the above dude was the textile minister. Trust me, our current textile minister is a suave young fellow from a rich back ground.. He will make you eat from his hands ;)

Again, talking about 'potential' is meaningless so long as progress is not made on removing barriers to Pakistani exports to India.

Perhaps your view of 'potential' is more optimistic since in the current scenario Indian exports to Pakistan would boom while Pakistani exports to India would continue to lag behind, partially as a result of those aforementioned barriers.

You cannot just focus on 'potential' while ignoring issues that make trade unfair for one side or the other.

What are these barriers to Pakistani exports??

We have our own textile industry and India is herself a major cotton producer.

We would prefer that Indians consume less of our cotton and more of our textiles. Then you can sell us cotton to cover the shortfall in domestic cotton production.

I'm sorry, but it is rather annoying to hear Indians in favor of open trade between India and Pakistan expecting Pakistanis to 'rejoice at the potential' of Pakistan selling raw products to India while importing value added products at a greater expense from India.

We have plenty of markets for our cotton without having to export to India, and some would want a ban on all cotton exports in any case, to ensure cheap availability of cotton in Pakistan for the textile industry.

Bolded part is flawed...How can anybody allow raw products being sold to one country and exporting finished goods at a higher rate from the same country??? This is just Bad Business...One way of doing this kind of business is to export raw material and import finished goods from india at a price affordable to your market(More or less Taxes can help change the rates to favourable figures)....The other way would be to ban export of such finished goods and compensate on something else to keep trade fair for both..Agno sir this is not East India Company of 19 centuary...They used to do this to us(India-pak-Bangladesh) but not any more ;)

The issues that you are pointing out are same issues we faced viz-a-viz China...When we openend our trade with China similar negative thoughts were making life hell for think tanks....Today we have trade worth $60 billion...Mind it the issue is there because there is huge trade deficit for India but then GOI and China are working together to narrow this GAP...For anything to work out you got to get into the act by making a framework and then keep on improving it....

If I have not missed, this report does not specify sectors in PK that will benefit from this move. From pure economic perspective, I think PK is still some years away where moves like these and treaty like FTA will become beneficial for them.
There does not seem to be any sector competitive enough to survive the onslaught of foreign products that will ensue from MFN status to IN or FTA with other countries.

If I have not missed, this report does not specify sectors in PK that will benefit from this move. From pure economic perspective, I think PK is still some years away where moves like these and treaty like FTA will become beneficial for them.
There does not seem to be any sector competitive enough to survive the onslaught of foreign products that will ensue from MFN status to IN or FTA with other countries.

I don't know why some peoples think Pakistan is the poorest country on earth - Not talking about you but overall majority of Indian members think like that

List of companies of Pakistan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pakistan is definitely not the poorest country in the World.Its rather difficult to do trade with a poor country.When it comes to business,its the figures on papers that matter.It will be good to increase the trade volume with pakistan.Free trade will benefit both the countries.The market may prove to be a bit volatile,but we can always work something out.Indian corporate giants are pretty good at that.

And what happens when these some sort of attack in india and the blame is put on pakistan.......will the indians then freeze economic ties?
The kashmiri crisis is the the main point where everything starts to unravel.

How Indian Products Reaches Pakistan although formal import was not allowed?I am talking about cosmetics,electronics,pan,tobacco products,automobile spares,tyres,used engines/parts etc etc?Anyone Answer Me?Pakistanis Must Boycott This.This is not a satirical talk.If obsession reduces in both sides ,India will Benefit More :)
--
I will say - unless India and Pakistan Solve Bilateral Relations(Which Will NOT happen anytime soon) ,India must not trade with Pakistan.Else ,What is the Surety of Safe Trade?this kind of free trade channel -this is not the correct time for such policies.

How Indian Products Reaches Pakistan although formal import was not allowed?I am talking about cosmetics,electronics,pan,tobacco products,automobile spares,tyres,used engines/parts etc etc?Anyone Answer Me?Pakistanis Must Boycott This.This is not a satirical talk.If obsession reduces in both sides ,India will Benefit More :)
--
I will say - unless India and Pakistan Solve Bilateral Relations(Which Will NOT happen anytime soon) ,India must not trade with Pakistan.Else ,What is the Surety of Safe Trade?this kind of free trade channel -this is not the correct time for such policies.

for how long man................ you want our childrens to continue fighting like that? lets sort these problems now to bring a better future for our childrens.............

for how long man................ you want our childrens to continue fighting like that? lets sort these problems now to bring a better future for our childrens.............

You and Me knows Peace is still a long way....between India and Pakistan.

we have already got our own industry which would love to consume the raw material. so india is not doing any favour by importing our cotton etc.

modalities will have to be worked out for such an agreement to be useful for both countries. just taking the trade volume to peak with only little share of pakistan's exports in it will be of no benefit to pakistan wat so ever.

im sure these economists who have come up with this worth considering suggestion must have also considered the benefits of such a decision as well.

I don't know why some peoples think Pakistan is the poorest country on earth - Not talking about you but overall majority of Indian members think like that

List of companies of Pakistan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My argument is not about how rich or poor PK is. Its about how capable your industry is.
I quickly scrolled the wiki page. Most of the companies in that list are PK operation of MNC's. They also have ops in India too.
Can you or some other PK member share the info about sectors (Not specific company.) that can stand on their own against foreign companies once MFN is given to IN or FTA is signed with other countries. And the real adv is when these sectors can earn some $$ from other markets that are made avialable to them by these treaties\status.

Of 28 sectors listed on that page, I don;t see any of them capable enough on these criteria.
May be I am wrong and some PK members can correct me.

Military Forum Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom