What's new

Meet Owj: Iran’s First Indigenous Fighter Jet Engine

Developed from F-5's J-85 engine, around 5000-6000 lbf with afterburner.

This is just to gain experience and keep F-5s and Saeqeh in the air until Iran can finish development of a Turbofan to power fighter jets.
so it is already being used in F 5 ?being a student of metallurgy , I can understand how big is this achievement for a country like Iran .

Drone_2074601b.jpg

Iran already has some example Stealth designs in their posession
100-500 local made prototypes of such calibre with local engine , I think they hold what we call

"Trump Card"

pix1_111414.png

I think the new Engine they manufactured could easyly fly army of drone tech

This is true since J-85 is an old turbojet.

But its best to follow a steady and solid path I guess. One step at a time. So the final aim (turbofan) is good.

Turbofan is like an elephant next to a mouse... even with knowledge given to you to make one A to Z, you will need years and years, not to replicate it, but to be able to manufacture the blades. even Europe & US reunite got only 3 industoes who can make it. So maybe, if done by Iran alone, in the Coming 15-20years you'll get a viable good turbofan, if no help from outside or JV with other nations...

Drone_2074601b.jpg

Iran already has some example Stealth designs in their posession
100-500 local made prototypes of such calibre with local engine , I think they hold what we call

"Trump Card"

pix1_111414.png

I think the new Engine they manufactured could easyly fly army of drone tech

that's drone is not made to scratch or invented by Iran, it's a copy of an american drones who crashed in iran years and years back (reverse engi)

I like to imagine it design was origionally made by Germans in WW2 , however I was just stating a simple point , if they wanted they could serial produce their own Stealth Light Jet UAV

Fantastic achivement

Example: If we review the F-35 plane as an example
  • Stealth concept , is from German minds , in WW2 the triangle shape Jets to evade stealth
  • The vertical take off concept is stolen , borrowed from Russian prototypes bought after collapse of Soviet Union
  • The idea of bending radar incoming waves is stolen research from Russian researcher's papers (stolen or implementation depends on point of view)

Quite a big engine , if you view it comparitive to a human standing next to it
maxresdefault.jpg

All about how you view an engine , looks small from front view but looks like a 100% Legitimate engine

hq720.jpg

Last edited:
I like to imagine it design was origionally made by Germans in WW2 , however I was just stating a simple point , if they wanted they could serial produce their own Stealth Light Jet UAV

Fantastic achivement

Example: If we review the F-35 plane as an example
  • Stealth concept , is from German minds , in WW2 the triangle shape Jets to evade stealth
  • The vertical take off concept is stolen , borrowed from Russian prototypes bought after collapse of Soviet Union
  • The idea of bending radar incoming waves is stolen research from Russian researcher's papers (stolen or implementation depends on point of view)

Quite a big engine , if you view it comparitive to a human standing next to it
maxresdefault.jpg

All about how you view an engine , looks small from front view but looks like a 100% Legitimate engine

The vid shows us that it "may" work, so let's say it works. it's a small engine bc it's a based on a F-5 engine.

RQ-170 copy still sounds good to me. Nothing wrong with copying a top quality system as long as you can use it properly.
Nope nothing wrong, the main purpose is that it's can do it's job, I was just correcting his statemant.

I think if they can really think about the issue making 300-400 stealth
Jet powered drones certainly a positive idea for Iran

CttcWVcW8AAu7Uh.jpg

May be this latest Engine Iran made , is a bit bigger for these stealth planes , they might have to make the drones a bit bigger in size

I think they might have some issue with Serial Production but I imagine 900-950 such planes should not be an issue for iran

Last edited:
I think if they can really think about the issue making 300-400 stealth
Jet powered drones certainly a positive idea for Iran

CttcWVcW8AAu7Uh.jpg

May be this latest Engine Iran made , is a bit bigger for these stealth planes , they might have to make the drones a bit bigger in size

I think they might have some issue with Serial Production but I imagine 900-950 such planes should not be an issue for iran
Those are small tactical UAVs not based on RQ-170 but using the flying wing concept.

I think you're looking for this:

15-01-jpg.343125

22-jpg.343126

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, making a jet engine isn't hard, anyone with enough money can do it. Making it RELIABLE is the issue. This is where nations like China and India are running into trouble, China has spent a lot more on engine research than Iran's entire military budget, and despite making a variety of engines, they suffer from reliability issues.

AZADPAKISTAN2009,

On your post #17, the top image is NOT Iranian, but French.

It is a French demonstrator from about ~10 years ago (a predecessor to the NEURON project). The image was used as a stock image for Iranian UAV stories for some reason and has been mistakenly used ever since.

Your "analysis" of the F-35's technology is a bit simplistic/off:
- German "stealth"- Was actually focused on aircraft construction (aka the material it's built from), not shape. The Horten flying wings were shaped that way because the Horten brothers believed it to be a superior aerodynamic design, not because it would reduce its radar signature. We know this b/c they started building their first flying wings years before radar was even in use anywhere in the world. No doubt the shaping would have helped (though the prominent intakes are terrible for "stealth"), but that was accidental than purposeful.

- No doubt Lockheed studied the Yak-41 for inspiration and even paid its manufacturers for consulting ($300-400 mil IIRC) but no aircraft were purchased. All the Yak-41s built are very much accounted for. While the F-35B does follow a very similar concept of VTOL, it's not identical (Yak-41 used three engines total, the F-35B's is powered by a single engine).

- Origins of bending EM waves was not stolen. Petr Ufimtsev openly published the mathematics that proved it could be done. Petr later came to the US in 1990s to teach at UCLA so no "mystery" or dispute here. He published the information freely and Lockheed used it and proved its applications.

ALCON,

As to the purpose of this thread, the "Owj", it is identical in appearance to the J85-GE-21 used by Iran's F-5E/Fs.

While it is possible to get more thrust out of this design, don't expect anything tremendous. GE did wonders with the J85, which started life as an engine powering target drones (with a service life of a few dozen hours tops) to the -21, which produces 3500lbs of thrust "dry" and 5000lbs of thrust "wet".

If Iran was to use this J85/Owj in UAVs, it would almost certainly be without the long afterburner section (currently making up a little better than half of the Owj's length), since afterburners are not ideal for such aircraft.

For a country that used to import even a toothbrush before, Iran has been making giant strides in industry and indigenously produced components. Recently, on the country’s Defence Industry Day, President of Iran, Hassan Rouhani, had unveiled the first domestically produced Turbojet engine “Owj” (Zenith), in a prestigious ceremony attended by press officials, industry experts, and scientists of the nation.

(The video attached has demo of live running of engine in wind tunnel or testing facility )

IranEngineButton.jpg

hq720.jpg

View attachment 371891

Congratulations to Iranian brother for their success.

This is just to gain experience and keep F-5s and Saeqeh in the air until Iran can finish development of a Turbofan to power fighter jets.

It's not as simple as that. They need better materials and metallurgy because temperatures would increase with size and thrust.

This is true since J-85 is an old turbojet.

But its best to follow a steady and solid path I guess. One step at a time. So the final aim (turbofan) is good.

Yet it's a great stride

Why Iran don't buy some sukois

India Russia can keep them flying for decades to come

Back
Top Bottom