What's new

Meet Owj: Iran’s First Indigenous Fighter Jet Engine

Aren't you? You seem to make it out as if the only thing Iran claims it makes or does is the Q-313. Or, you're using that one thing as an example for the entire country, which is plainly false.

I direct you the the several posts made by PeeD in this thread. Here, you can learn about Iran's Bavar-373 and how it is entirely real and not lies or propaganda. And you can learn how to make respectful non-jingoistic comments! It's like killing two birds with one long range SAM.
The Iranian military can claim anything it want. I have been reading you guys long enough to know that you guys cannot tell the difference between claims and implementation. By 'implementation' I do not mean putting theory into hardware. It mean actually using the hardware under combat or as close to combat conditions as possible.

As for the Iranian 'stealth' fighter, no, I am not bringing it up to mock your Iran. As someone who actually have served, if I wanted to mock the Iranian military, everybody would know it. I was Air Force, that means I can put the Iranian Air Force thru the wringer. Everything from aircrafts to people. When I saw what Iran claimed to be a 'stealth' fighter, it was actually more sad than funny. Can it fly ? Of course. Given the right engine and enough wings, you can make a brick fly. But even if we are to grant the latitude that it will fly, will it be a credible 'stealth' platform ? I will say 'No'.

And when we're not in your subject area, you're hopeless. Comparing Iran to Iraq in terms of war fighting capability is something reserved almost exclusively for readers of Fox News.
And thinking the US have remained the same since then is something reserved for fools.

I just thought it necessary to remind you that Iran, unlike the US, has a long history, otherwise you'd go on another nationalistic rant.
Another ? Not once in this thread have I gone on any 'nationalistic rant'. Unless you have broaden the definition of 'nationalistic' to absurd proportions. So far, all I have done is present credible technical sources to support my arguments, better than you guys have done for yours.

It mean actually using the hardware under combat or as close to combat conditions as possible.

Fortunately Iran is not a warmongering nation. Unlike the US, we cannot test our weapons in war, but we do it through several annual war games.

I was Air Force, that means I can put the Iranian Air Force thru the wringer.
Unfortunately, you do not need to be former Air Force to criticise Iran's Air Force. 10 minutes on Wikipedia will show anyone the sorry state of the IRIAF.

And thinking the US have remained the same since then is something reserved for fools.

Likewise, to say Iran has not changed since then is something reserved for greater fools. But Iran had a lot more to improve on and so has improved at a faster pace. 30 years ago, would anyone have guessed Iran today would make AESA radars?

قرار بود کوثر تا حالا تولید انبوه شده باشه

خدا می دونه پولش رو کجا زدن به جیب

اصلا اینها چه جیبی دارند که ته نداره

Fortunately Iran is not a warmongering nation. Unlike the US, we cannot test our weapons in war, but we do it through several annual war games.

Unfortunately, you do not need to be former Air Force to criticise Iran's Air Force. 10 minutes on Wikipedia will show anyone the sorry state of the IRIAF.

Likewise, to say Iran has not changed since then is something reserved for greater fools. But Iran had a lot more to improve on and so has improved at a faster pace. 30 years ago, would anyone have guessed Iran today would make AESA radars?
We are pretty loud mouth with antique air force , ruined economic and ancient army. ....

We are just words without any backups

The only thing that could secure us was nukes but ...

اگه بمب اتم رو می ساختن ، اونوقت دیگه نمی توانستند پول های غارت شده ی ایران رو بدهند به آقازاده ها که توی آمریکا و اروپا استرالیا و کانادا سرمایه‌گذاری کنند

You are treading into an area I understand. Just because you use the initials 'AESA' that does not mean the Iranian version is operationally comparable to US.

sub_array_part_2.jpg

In the above illustration, which AESA array is exhibiting NINE SIMULTANEOUS radar beams ?

You are treading into an area I understand. Just because you use the initials 'AESA' that does not mean the Iranian version is operationally comparable to US.

I did not claim it was or was not operationally comparable. Iran's AESAs are air defence radars designed to be effective against stealth targets.

In the above illustration, which AESA array is exhibiting NINE SIMULTANEOUS radar beams ?

I would lean towards c), but d) is also probable.

Needless to say, I do not claim to be highly knowledgeable on AESAs. I know much of their capabilities and how much of those work, like LPI, jamming resistance, beamforming etc.

@PeeD is probably a better person for input on AESAs.

I did not claim it was or was not operationally comparable. Iran's AESAs are air defence radars designed to be effective against stealth targets.
Again...Just because you use the inittials 'AESA' that does not mean all systems are equivalent.

Needless to say, I do not claim to be highly knowledgeable on AESAs. I know much of their capabilities and how much of those work, like LPI, jamming resistance, beamforming etc.

@PeeD is probably a better person for input on AESAs.
Regarding my question on post 169. The answer is 'C'.

Just in case you think I am making this shit up...AESA software choreography...

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6652024/
New technologies, such as the introduction of Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) antenna technology, compact receiver technology and growth in processing power opens the door to the introduction of Dual Axis Multi-beam forming.
If your AESA system can produce only two beams instead of my nine, you are at a disadvantage.

Regarding my illustration on post 169...

- The two vertical black lines could be two volume search beams.

- The single horizontal black line could be height finding, such as searching for troop transport.

- The other six areas could be for single targets, communication, or electronics warfare, etc...

In total, nine radar beams simultaneously. Not everyone can produce that. So just because you maybe familiar with what an AESA can do in theory, I am familiar with them in practice.

Again...Just because you use the inittials 'AESA' that does not mean all systems are equivalent.

Are you going to say this every time I mention the initials "AESA"? It is an Active Electronically Scanned Array, therefore I will call it AESA, I know you like to put down the achievements of others but an AESA a different name just because it doesn't come from :usflag: is a stretch. Would you prefer SESA? Shitty Electronically Scanned Array? Or Crappy ESA? I'd prefer you stop making an argument out of absolutely nothing.

The answer is 'C'.

Great! Do I get a prize? :lol:

So just because you maybe familiar with what an AESA can do in theory, I am familiar with them in practice.

Your point is? You have been in the US Air Force for as long as I've been alive, what do you expect exactly?

I don't care about who has been in the USAF for the longest, my whole point about AESAs was that 30 years ago no-one would have suggested Iran, which could barely keep it's air force flying, would have made it's own AESA radars of any capability in the 2010s, hence Iran has improved it's defence industry rapidly since then.

in 2002 wargame your entire fleet was drowned in 10 minutes just with our missiles, so you can forget about meeting our boats.

but if you could meet 500 of them simultaneously (which you can't, not even in your wet dreams), then you better know that our boats are made of composite material so you can forget about picking them up in your radars, the same way you couldn't and can't identify not only Iranian drone, but even Hezbollah drone flying right above your fleet in Mediterranean sea. when you can't find it, you can't hit it, whether with Laser or any other junk.

better end watching your Hollywood clips and start reading the news.
Lololol! Most boats are made of composite theses days. They hit them because of ir sensors, not radar. You should be aware of air dominance, you guys couldn't even detect the F-22 flying in the region even behind the Iranian pilots not aware they were being tailed. What happened?

The Iranian military can claim anything it want. I have been reading you guys long enough to know that you guys cannot tell the difference between claims and implementation. By 'implementation' I do not mean putting theory into hardware. It mean actually using the hardware under combat or as close to combat conditions as possible.

Several times per year alone, Iran test its equipment in military large military exercises and drills. In addition, you are confusing people's interpretations on this forum with actual development cycle of Iran's defence industries.

Yes, it is.

In total, nine radar beams simultaneously. Not everyone can produce that. So just because you maybe familiar with what an AESA can do in theory, I am familiar with them in practice.

Really? are knowledge and technology only within the grasp of western world? A simply drop by major universities in US, Canada and Europe will reveal how many non western origin foreigners are active in driving the west's industry. They happen to complete their undergrads or sometimes the graduate degrees in their home countries. It's not like they are not helping their home countries and colleagues.

Just go read the list of signatories here:
[support-peace dot
wixsite dot com/support-peace]

In addition:

Iranian woman wins maths’ top prize, the Fields medal

Maryam Mirzakhani

newscientist:
[/article/dn26044-iranian-woman-wins-maths-top-prize-the-fields-medal/]

Dr. Cumrun Vafa Wins 2017 Breakthrough Prize in Fundamental Physics
stonybrook dot edu:
[/archives/20432]
--------------------------

Visions of Future Physics
Nima Arkani-Hamed is championing a campaign to build the world’s largest particle collider, even as he pursues a new vision of the laws of nature.
quantamagazine dot org:
[/20150922-nima-arkani-hamed-collider-physics/]

--------------------------------

Breakthrough for magnesium lightweight materials
Mohsen Esmaily, researcher in Atmospheric Corrosion at Chalmers
chalmers dot se:
[/en/departments/chem/news/Pages/Breakthrough-for-magnesium-lightweight-materials.aspx]
Iranian researcher wins Sweden’s prestigious scientific award
chalmers dot se:

[/en/departments/chem/news/Pages/Breakthrough-for-magnesium-lightweight-materials.aspx]
------------------------------

Stanford University's Electrical Engineering Faculty Head:
The finest university in the word that prepares Electrical Engineering undegraduates is Sharif University.

youtube:
[/watch?v=0cDR_CK-tfI]

So i beg to differ. Iran's only limitations are funding. Given enough funding, Iranians can build the finest equipment and excel in any field given the need.

Lololol! Most boats are made of composite theses days. They hit them because of ir sensors, not radar. You should be aware of air dominance, you guys couldn't even detect the F-22 flying in the region even behind the Iranian pilots not aware they were being tailed. What happened?

Do I need to point out that Iran's fast boats are capable of launching Cruise missiles with minimum range of 50 Km and Max range of 300 Km? Even if they launch from 25 km away, the HellFire missile solutions on board the LCS and conventional ships will not be able to engage them simple due to engagement range limitations. At the end of the day, tactics are what matters.

Several times per year alone, Iran test its equipment in military large military exercises and drills. In addition, you are confusing people's interpretations on this forum with actual development cycle of Iran's defence industries.

Really? are knowledge and technology only within the grasp of western world? A simply drop by major universities in US, Canada and Europe will reveal how many non western origin foreigners are active in driving the west's industry. They happen to complete their undergrads or sometimes the graduate degrees in their home countries. It's not like they are not helping their home countries and colleagues.

Just go read the list of signatories here:
[support-peace dot
wixsite dot com/support-peace]

In addition:

Iranian woman wins maths’ top prize, the Fields medal

Maryam Mirzakhani

newscientist:
[/article/dn26044-iranian-woman-wins-maths-top-prize-the-fields-medal/]

Dr. Cumrun Vafa Wins 2017 Breakthrough Prize in Fundamental Physics
stonybrook dot edu:
[/archives/20432]
--------------------------

Visions of Future Physics
Nima Arkani-Hamed is championing a campaign to build the world’s largest particle collider, even as he pursues a new vision of the laws of nature.
quantamagazine dot org:
[/20150922-nima-arkani-hamed-collider-physics/]

--------------------------------

Breakthrough for magnesium lightweight materials
Mohsen Esmaily, researcher in Atmospheric Corrosion at Chalmers
chalmers dot se:
Iranian researcher wins Sweden’s prestigious scientific award
chalmers dot se:

------------------------------

Stanford University's Electrical Engineering Faculty Head:
The finest university in the word that prepares Electrical Engineering undegraduates is Sharif University.

youtube:
[/watch?v=0cDR_CK-tfI]

So i beg to differ. Iran's only limitations are funding. Given enough funding, Iranians can build the finest equipment and excel in any field given the need.

Do I need to point out that Iran's fast boats are capable of launching Cruise missiles with minimum range of 50 Km and Max range of 300 Km? Even if they launch from 25 km away, the HellFire missile solutions on board the LCS and conventional ships will not be able to engage them simple due to engagement range limitations. At the end of the day, tactics are what matters.

Need I remind you that you need to know where the ships are before launching. Not to mention your boats will be tracked by planes and satellites. And destroyed by aircraft and drones that can hit the fast movers. And I guarantee that your radars will be gone or turned off in fear of being destroyed. Not to mention advanced jamming and decoys and defenses can knock out those missiles. Yemen rebels already tried that when firing anti ship missiles on the U.S. ships.

Need I remind you that you need to know where the ships are before launching. Not to mention your boats will be tracked by planes and satellites. And destroyed by aircraft and drones that can hit the fast movers. And I guarantee that your radars will be gone or turned off in fear of being destroyed. Not to mention advanced jamming and decoys and defenses can knock out those missiles. Yemen rebels already tried that when firing anti ship missiles on the U.S. ships.

Sure, you can deploy aircrafts and sure you can have many electronic warfare campaigns. You still have to handle large quantities of attacks that will overwhelm the defensive systems and account for small maneuvering spaces and large coastlines to fire missiles from, sub surface attackers, electro optical systems and Iran's electronic warfare and Home on Jamming systems.

reference:
Noor and Ghader missiles:

Well , you wanted to attack us and still want to finish us but the cost is too high for you ....

You spend 500 billion dollar and we spent 15-20 billion dollars but we already achieved what we want from spending in this field ... But what about you

As this thread seem to be more about Iran's AA capacities, I think hearing from a US research institute about Iran's current developments are not a bad idea:

The Counterintuitive Role of Air Defense in Iran's Anti-Status Quo Regional Strategy

Farzin Nadimi

Also available in العربية

January 11, 2017

While Iran's air defenses are a central element of its deterrent capabilities, newly arrived long-range mobile systems like the S-300 could also enable it to constrain the air forces of its neighbors over their own sovereign territory, thereby enhancing Tehran's ability to intimidate and coerce these neighbors.

On December 28, Iran concluded a three-day air-defense exercise aimed at honing its ability to defend the Bushehr nuclear plant and southern oil facilities. The exercise was overseen by the Khatam al-Anbia Air Defense Headquarters (KADHQ), an independent branch within the Iranian national armed forces that coordinates the air-defense assets and activities of all branches of the armed forces, including the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and Basij paramilitary organization. The KADHQ was born in February 2009 out of the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force air-defense command, as Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei reportedly gave air defense the "highest priority" in the face of a possible Israeli or U.S. airstrike against its nuclear program. In an August 2016 meeting with KADHQ commanders, he called air defense Iran's "first line of resistance against any aggression." The KADHQ has also asked for a share of the at least $120 million Iran earns annually from commercial overflights.

The KADHQ serves as a national air-defense operations center (ADOC) with more than seven sector operations centers (SOCs) controlling different parts of the country. Every SOC links and manages air defenses within its area of responsibility, and coordinates its activities with adjacent sectors. The ADOC then shares and fuses all target information with that of the IRGC's Sarallah (Revenge of God) general headquarters into a comprehensive threat picture for use by commanders and top decisionmakers. Indeed, air defense is one of the few areas where the national and revolutionary armed forces cooperate. All sector commands, down to individual assets, are also empowered to take appropriate measures in case their communications with the ADOC are severed.

Ever since the appointment of the dynamic Gen. Farzad Ismaili as commander of KADHQ in 2011, Iran's air-defense capability has increased significantly, thanks to the indigenous development of an impressive number of radar, command-and-control, and surface-to-air-missile (SAM) and gun systems, many of which have been deployed around the country. Iran has installed at least four types of over-the-horizon (OTH) radars with a range of more than 1,000 km. Also, Iran's land-based phased array surveillance and targeting radars have various operating frequencies and support air-defense systems such as Raad (Thunder), Mersad (Ambush), and Talash (Endeavor) SAM systems with ranges of up to 150 km at medium to high altitudes. It is not known how these systems will perform in combat, but many of them are mobile and thus can rapidly redeploy on short notice to achieve some level of surprise. They are supported by various sensor arrays that Iran claims can detect and even track low observable aircraft from a considerable distance.

Iran also recently received a number of S-300 air-defense systems from Russia, each offering a capability to track one hundred targets simultaneously and engage six of them with missiles at a range of up to 200 km. The system is yet to be fielded and tested in Iran, as is another indigenous system of claimed similar capabilities, called Bavar (Faith) 373. Iran expects the S-300 to be operational before April 2017. Since 2010, there have been consistent suggestions in Iran that the KADHQ is also working on a ballistic missile-defense capability. In addition to providing enhanced air-defense early warning, Iran's numerous high-frequency OTH radar and signals intelligence projects -- operated by both the IRGC and KADHQ -- could provide targeting information for antishipping ballistic missiles, given that Iran is expected to develop longer-range versions of such missiles. The prospective OTH surveillance radars have claimed ranges of up to 3,000 km.

THE OFFENSIVE POTENTIAL OF IRAN'S AIR DEFENSES
Lacking a large, capable air force, Iran might compensate by using its new mobile medium- to long-range air defenses to deny the enemy the ability to achieve air superiority over the Persian Gulf in wartime, employing its air defenses and ballistic missiles to attack enemy aircraft, airfields, and aircraft carriers. This would enhance the freedom of action of its own air and naval forces, and its offensive capabilities. Conversely, in peacetime or during crises, Iran could use its air defenses to threaten the formation of maritime- or air-exclusion zones in the Persian Gulf, Strait of Hormuz, and Gulf of Oman, complicating access to and transit through these regions for the United States and its regional allies and creating leverage over its adversaries.

In the summer of 2012, Iran announced a coercive strategy that included selective or "smart" control of shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz. However, very little has in fact changed since then, aside from occasional harassment, the latest incident happening on January 9. Yet an S-300 deployment in the Persian Gulf could cover the U.S. Navy's Fifth Fleet and Royal Navy's HMS Jufair headquarters at Bahrain's port of Mina Salman, Qatar's North Dome gas field, and the entire Strait of Hormuz. Iranian S-300 batteries would likely be augmented and defended by various short- to medium-range SAM systems such as the TOR-M1, 3rd of Khordad (May 24), Raad, and Mersad.

As suggested thus far, Iran's growing air-defense and missile capabilities could ultimately allow the Islamic Republic to increase risk to, and reduce the freedom of action of, U.S. and partner air forces operating over the Persian Gulf, Strait of Hormuz, and Gulf of Oman, and increase the vulnerability of enemy air bases throughout the region. American pilots and Iranian air-defense operators already play cat and mouse over the Gulf, with the latter issuing a growing number of warnings against U.S. aircraft flying reconnaissance missions close to Iranian airspace or exercise areas. As yet, such games do not appear to have affected the U.S. ability to conduct its routine missions. This situation, however, could change someday if Iranian air-defense deployments were to increase and the U.S. presence in the Gulf were to diminish.

CONCLUSION
Iran has significantly reorganized and expanded its air defenses in the past few years, first by creating an independent air-defense headquarters, the KADHQ, and second by developing a full range of low- to high-altitude surveillance and air-defense systems. Facing formidable foreign air forces and lacking a capable air force of its own, Iran has chosen to deny its enemies the ability to achieve air superiority through its use of ground-based air defenses, complementing Iran's ability to deter by punishment through the use of ballistic missiles.

Yet the S-300 and other Iranian long-range antiaircraft assets covering the Strait of Hormuz and the Persian Gulf shipping routes could enable anti-status quo policies or offensive action by threatening enemy aircraft operating over the Gulf, or even within their own airspace, thereby undermining those nations' protective buffer -- much like what China has been trying to achieve in the Taiwan Strait -- and altering the regional military balance. This could, in the long term, impose military costs on the United States and contribute to the Islamic Republic's efforts to control the region and to split Washington from its Gulf allies.

Farzin Nadimi is a Washington-based analyst specializing in the security and defense affairs of Iran and the Persian Gulf region.

http://www.washingtoninstitute.org/...air-defense-in-irans-anti-status-quo-regional

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom