What's new

McCHRYSTAL IN TROUBLE !

No one in the US Government is allowed to tell the truth as they see it. The only "truth" allowed is that which is conjured up by Obama's public relations staff, which is about 50% of the White House staff. Obama is going to pay dearly if he sacks McChrystal.

Furious President Obama summons Gen. Stanley McChrystal to D.C.

The top commander in Afghanistan, Gen. Stanley McChrystal, has been summoned to the White House to explain biting and unflattering remarks he made to a freelance writer about President Barack Obama and others in the Obama administration.

The face-to-face comes as pundits are already calling for McChrystal to resign for insubordination.

McChrystal has been instructed to fly from Kabul to Washington today to attend Obama’s regular monthly security team meeting tomorrow at the White House.

An administration official says McChrystal was asked to attend in person rather than by secure video teleconference, “where he will have to explain to the Pentagon and the commander in chief his quotes about his colleagues in the piece.”

Both Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, have spoken with McChrystal. Capt. John Kirby, a spokesman for Mullen, said “the chairman spoke to General McChrystal last night and expressed his deep disappointment with the article and with the comments expressed therein.”

McChrystal and his top aides appeared to let their guard down during a series of interviews and visits with Michael Hastings, a freelance writer for the magazine Rolling Stone.

The article, titled “The Runaway General,” appears in the magazine later this week. It contains a number of jabs by McChrystal and his staff aimed not only at the President but at Vice President Biden, special envoy Richard Holbrooke, Karl Eikenberry, the ambassador to Afghanistan, and others.

McChrystal described his first meeting with Obama as disappointing and said that Obama was unprepared for the meeting.

National Security Advisor Jim Jones is described by a McChrystal aide as a “clown” stuck in 1985.

Others aides joked about Biden’s last name as sounding like “Bite me” since Biden opposed the surge.

McChrystal issued an immediate apology for the profile, advance copies of which were sent to news organizations last night.

“It was a mistake reflecting poor judgment and should never have happened,” McChrystal said. “Throughout my career, I have lived by the principles of personal honor and professional integrity. What is reflected in this article falls far short of that standard. I have enormous respect and admiration for President Obama and his national security team, and for the civilian leaders and troops fighting this war and I remain committed to ensuring its successful outcome.”

NATO issued a statement overnight indicating continued support for McChrystal despite the “unfortunate article.”

It will be hard for the White House to get past this since the remarks appear to amount to some level of insubordination.

“This general has to be fired, he has to be gone by the end of the day,” said Joe Scarborough, on “Morning Joe” on MSNBC.

“Gates and Petraeus have to come out and fire McChrystal.” They should have already done it - Petreaus and Gates should have already fired McChrystal.”

But analysts who are close to the situation and know McChrystal well believe that while the remarks were wrong, it would be a bigger mistake to let McChrystal go at such a critical time in the war.

“He made a big mistake, but he is a fantastic general, and not only that but a modest man who is respectful of others,” says Michael O’Hanlon, a senior fellow at Brookings.

“That makes these comments even more uncharacteristic and unfortunate," he said. "We need him, and Ambassador Eikenberry, for this effort, and I am confident knowing both men well that they can put these issues behind them for the greater good.”

McChrystal, an expert on counter-terrorism and counterinsurgency, has long been thought to be uniquely qualified to lead in Afghanistan. But he is not known for being media savvy.

Hastings, who has covered the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan for two years, according to the magazine, is not well known within the Defense Department.

And as a freelance reporter, Hastings would be considered a bigger risk to be given unfettered access compared to a beat reporter who would risk burning bridges by publishing many of McChrystal’s remarks.

Furious President Obama summons Gen. Stanley McChrystal to D.C. - Gordon Lubold - POLITICO.com

They must have seen the Pakistani Generals in action, they thought if they can do it, we can too.

I do not think McChrystal will be fired, it is far too crucial a time to fire him.

Like I said before, I admire the military leaders of America and not the donkeys in White House.

No one in the US Government is allowed to tell the truth as they see it. The only "truth" allowed is that which is conjured up by Obama's public relations staff, which is about 50% of the White House staff. Obama is going to pay dearly if he sacks McChrystal.

But Indirectly for Macrystal's faults , fingers will be pointed at Obama. He would be feeling the pressure from the officials in his admin..!

The poor guy was just frustrated about the way guys in white house were doing things..!!

They must have seen the Pakistani Generals in action, they thought if they can do it, we can too.

How come you say so?

The track record of PA Generals towards the Political leadership has changed drastically eversince General Kayani took over as the COAS.

How come you say so?

The track record of PA Generals towards the Political leadership has changed drastically eversince General Kayani took over as the COAS.

Well what happens behind closed doors is not known to all. You and I would not have beleived that McChrystal would have said or done the things he did if we were not presented with proof.

For the sake of country or the task at hand, some do remain silent and do not express their opinion.

I am only speculating here so do not take my word for it but our Generals were the only ones incharge and still are.

General McChrystal summoned to White House over Rolling Stone interview

THE top US commander in Afghanistan, General Stanley McChrystal, has been ordered to the White House to explain his criticism of the President and his senior advisers in an interview in Rolling Stone magazine.

"McChrystal has been directed to attend (Wednesday's) monthly meeting on Afghanistan and Pakistan in person to explain to the Pentagon and the commander in chief his quotes in the piece about his colleagues," a White House official said.

In a profile in Rolling Stone, General McChrystal critcised Vice President Joe Biden, who has been sceptical of the general's war strategy, and imagined ways of "dismissing the vice president with a good one-liner."

McChrystal also told the magazine that he felt "betrayed" by the US ambassador to Kabul, Karl Eikenberry, in a White House debate over war strategy last year.

And an unnamed adviser to General McChrystal told the magazine that the general came away unimpressed from a meeting with President Barack Obama in the Oval Office a year ago.

"It was a 10-minute photo op," the general's adviser said.

"Obama clearly didn't know anything about him, who he was ... he didn't seem very engaged."

Another aide called the national security adviser, Jim Jones, a "clown" who was "stuck in 1985".

General McChrystal has apologised for his remarks to the magazine.

"I extend my sincerest apology for this profile," he said in a statement issued hours after the article, entitled The Runaway General, was released.

"It was a mistake reflecting poor judgment and should never have happened."

General McChrystal, a former special operations chief, usually speaks cautiously in public and has enjoyed mostly sympathetic US media coverage since he took over the Nato-led force last year.

In Brussels, Nato chief Anders Fogh Rasmussen indicated support for the US commander, expressing full confidence in General McChystal and his strategy.

"The Rolling Stone article is rather unfortunate, but it is just an article," Mr Rasmussen's spokesman said.

General McChrystal summoned to White House over Rolling Stone interview | Herald Sun

Well I am glad our Politicians don't really handle military affairs and let Pakistan Army Generals handle troop strength etc as such they have far more freedom to conduct military operations with the required strength and ammo.War and Politicians don't go together.War (military side not political) should be handled by professionals only ie Military Generals but then again our generals are not immune from this.Former Chief of Army Staff General Jahangir Karamat was sacked he criticized Pakistan’s political leadership and advocated a national security council that would give the military a constitutional role in running the country, similar to Turkey's.

Well what happens behind closed doors is not known to all. You and I would not have beleived that McChrystal would have said or done the things he did if we were not presented with proof.

For the sake of country or the task at hand, some do remain silent and do not express their opinion.

I am only speculating here so do not take my word for it but our Generals were the only ones incharge and still are.

What happens behind closed doors is another matter. I was refering to what is open to the public eye !

How is that???

If Obama sacks McChrystal then he will lose all confidence of the American public that he is capable of being the "Commander in Chief". Already the voters are reluctant to put peacenik Democrats in charge of USA national security. If Obama cannot have good relations with his personally picked field commander than Obama will be viewed as incompetent, not the General. Obama will lose re-election in 2012 if the voters think he cannot be trusted in charge of the USA military.

The spokesman for Afghan President Hamid Karzai says the president believes Gen. Stanley McChrystal is the "best commander" of the war.

Karzai spokesman Waheed Omar says the president strongly backs the top commander in Afghanistan and hopes that President Barack Obama doesn't decide to replace him.

McChrystal has been summoned to Washington to explain derogatory comments made about Obama administration officials - many by McChrystal's aides - in an article in Rolling Stone magazine.

Omar says Karzai believes McChrystal "is a person of great integrity who has a very good understanding of the Afghan people and the Afghan culture."

Back
Top Bottom