What's new

McCHRYSTAL IN TROUBLE !

GUNNER

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
WHITE HOUSE SUMMONS McCHRYTSAL FOR EXPLANATION

WASHINGTON, June 22, 2010 (AFP) - The leading military commander in Afghanistan on Tuesday was summoned to the White House to personally explain published remarks to a US magazine in which he and senior aides mock and criticize top American officials -- including President Barack Obama.

Tensions between General Stanley McChrystal and the White House are on full display in the unflattering article in Rolling Stone.

"McChrystal has been directed to attend (Wednesday's) monthly meeting on Afghanistan and Pakistan in person" rather than appear in a secure satellite teleconference "to explain to the Pentagon and the commander in chief his quotes in the piece about his colleagues," a White House official told AFP.

In the magazine profile McChrystal jokes sarcastically about preparing to answer a question, referring to Vice President Joe Biden known as a skeptic of the commander's war strategy, and imagined ways of "dismissing the vice president with a good one-liner."

McChrystal also told the magazine that he felt "betrayed" by the US ambassador to Kabul, Karl Eikenberry, in a White House debate over war strategy last year.

And an unnamed McChrystal adviser says in the article that the general came away unimpressed after meeting with Obama in the Oval Office a year ago.

"It was a 10-minute photo op," the general's adviser says.

"Obama clearly didn't know anything about him, who he was... he didn't seem very engaged," the adviser added.

A McChrystal aide also called the national security adviser, Jim Jones, a retired general, a "clown" who is "stuck in 1985."

McChrystal issued a statement late Monday apologizing for his remarks to the magazine.
"I extend my sincerest apology for this profile," McChrystal said in a statement issued hours after the article entitled "The Runaway General" was released Monday.

"It was a mistake reflecting poor judgment and should never have happened."

McChrystal, a former special operations chief, usually speaks cautiously in public and has enjoyed mostly sympathetic US media coverage since he took over the NATO-led force last year.

But the Rolling Stone article appeared to catch him and his staff in unguarded moments.
In the article McChrystal laughed when asked about the vice president.
"'Are you asking about Vice President Biden?' McChrystal says with a laugh. 'Who's that?'" the article quotes him as saying.
"'Biden?' suggests a top adviser. 'Did you say: Bite Me?'"
Referring to a leaked internal memo from Eikenberry that questioned McChrystal's request for more troops, the commander suggested the ambassador had tried to protect himself for history's sake.

"Here's one that covers his flank for the history books," McChrystal tells Rolling Stone.
"Now if we fail, they can say, 'I told you so.'"

Eikenberry, himself a former commander in Afghanistan, had written to the White House saying Afghan President Hamid Karzai was an unreliable partner and that a surge of troops could draw the United States into a open-ended quagmire.

The article is likely to exacerbate tensions between the US command in Afghanistan and the White House.

McChrystal already received a dressing down from Obama after giving a speech last summer in which he appeared to criticize Biden's argument in favor of fewer troops in Afghanistan.

As an Afghanistan strategy review was beginning, McChrystal had requested tens of thousands of reinforcements and although Obama in the end granted most of what he had asked for, the strategy review was a difficult time, the general told the magazine.

"I found that time painful," McChrystal says. "I was selling an unsellable position."
The profile argued that McChrystal has pushed through his vision of how to fight the war, sidelining White House and State Department heavyweights along the way.

His aides are portrayed as intensely loyal to McChrystal while dismissive of the White House and those who question their commander's approach.

One unnamed senior military official speculates that yet another surge of US forces could be requested "if we see success here."

But his own troops voice doubts about the war and new rules limiting the use of force at a meeting with McChrystal at a combat outpost near Kandahar city, according to the magazine.

One sergeant tells him: "Sir, some of the guys here, sir, think we're losing, sir."
McChrystal also complains about a dinner with an unnamed French minister during a visit to France in April.

In a hotel room in Paris getting ready for a dinner with the French official, McChrystal says: "How'd I get screwed into going to this dinner?"

He also derides the hard-charging top US envoy to the region, Richard Holbrooke.

"Oh, not another email from Holbrooke," McChrystal says, looking at his messages on a mobile phone. "I don't even want to open it."

MULLEN DISAPPOINTED

WASHINGTON, June 22, 2010 (AFP) - The top US military officer Admiral Mike Mullen has voiced "deep disappointment" over scathing remarks criticizing the White House by the US commander in Afghanistan, General Stanley McChrystal.

Mullen, chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, had spoken to McChrystal following the explosive article in Rolling Stone magazine in which he openly criticizes President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden.

McChrystal also told the magazine that he felt "betrayed" by the US ambassador to Kabul, Karl Eikenberry, in a White House debate over war strategy last year.

"The chairman spoke to General McChrystal last night about the article and expressed his deep disappointment about the article and the comments therein," Mullen's spokesman Captain John Kirby told AFP Tuesday.

Why the hell its his fault .. He wasnt given enough resources.. Everybody was seeing defeat but yet the stooges in the white house didnt..!!!
unfortunately fine men pay the price of the blunders did by Politicians..!!!

Rolling Stone fiasco: Gen. Stanley McChrystal summoned to White House

06-22-McChrystal_full_380.jpg

Rolling Stone article gets Gen. Stanley McChrystal into hot water with President Obama.

By Anne Gearan, Julie Pace, AP / June 22, 2010
Washington

The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan has been summoned to Washington to explain derogatory comments about President Barack Obama and his colleagues, administration officials said Tuesday.

Gen. Stanley McChrystal, who publicly apologized Tuesday for using "poor judgment" in an interview in Rolling Stone magazine, has been ordered to attend the monthly White House meeting on Afghanistan and Pakistan in person Wednesday rather than over a secure video teleconference, according to officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly. He'll be expected to explain his comments to Obama and top Pentagon officials, these officials said.

Obama has the authority to fire McChrystal. His predecessor, Gen. David McKiernan, was sacked on grounds that the military needed "new thinking and new approaches" in Afghanistan.

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. Mike Mullen has told McChrystal of his "deep disappointment" over the article, a spokesman said.

The article in this week's Rolling Stone depicts McChrystal as a lone wolf on the outs with many important figures in the Obama administration and unable to persuade even some of his own soldiers that his strategy can win the war.

The interview describes McChrystal, 55, as "disappointed" in his first Oval Office meeting with Obama. The article says that although McChrystal voted for Obama, the two failed to connect from the start. Obama appointed McChrystal to lead the Afghan effort in May 2009. Last fall, though, Obama called McChrystal on the carpet for speaking too bluntly about his desire for more troops.

"I found that time painful," McChrystal said in the article, on newsstands Friday. "I was selling an unsellable position."

Obama agreed to dispatch an additional 30,000 U.S. troops to Afghanistan only after months of study that many in the military found frustrating. And the White House's troop commitment was coupled with a pledge to begin bringing them home in July 2011, in what counterinsurgency strategists advising McChrystal regarded as an arbitrary deadline.

In Kabul on Tuesday, McChrystal issued a statement saying: "I have enormous respect and admiration for President Obama and his national security team, and for the civilian leaders and troops fighting this war and I remain committed to ensuring its successful outcome."

"I extend my sincerest apology for this profile," the statement said. "It was a mistake reflecting poor judgment and should never have happened."

Mullen talked with McChrystal about the article Monday night, Capt. John Kirby, Mullen's spokesman said. In a 10-minute conversation, the chairman "expressed his deep disappointment in the piece and the comments" in it, Kirby said.

The Rolling Stone profile, titled "The Runaway General," emerged from several weeks of interviews and travel with McChrystal's tight circle of aides this spring.

In the interview, McChrystal he said he felt betrayed by the man the White House chose to be his diplomatic partner, Ambassador Karl Eikenberry. If Eikenberry had the same doubts, McChrystal said he never expressed them until a leaked internal document threw a wild card into the debate over whether to add more troops last November. In the document, Eikenberry said Afghan President Hamid Karzai was not a reliable partner for the counterinsurgency strategy McChrystal was hired to execute.

McChrystal accused the ambassador of giving himself cover.

"Here's one that covers his flank for the history books," McChrystal told the magazine. "Now, if we fail, they can say 'I told you so.'"

Caitlin Hayden, spokeswoman for the U.S. embassy in Kabul, said Eikenberry and McChrystal "are fully committed to the president's strategy and to working together as one civilian-military team."

McChrystal has a history of drawing criticism, despite his military achievements.

In June 2006 President George W. Bush congratulated McChrystal for his role in the operation that killed Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the leader of al-Qaida in Iraq. As head of the special operations command, McChrystal'sforces included the Army's clandestine counterterrorism unit, Delta Force.

He drew criticism for his role in the military's handling of the friendly fire shooting of Army Ranger Pat Tillman — a former NFL star — in Afghanistan. An investigation at the time found that McChrystal was "accountable for the inaccurate and misleading assertions" contained in papers recommending that Tillman get a Silver Star award.

McChrystal acknowledged he had suspected several days before approving the Silver Star citation that Tillman might have died by fratricide, rather than enemy fire. He sent a memo to military leaders warning them of that, even as they were approving Tillman's Silver Star. Still, he told investigators he believed Tillman deserved the award.

This week's development comes as criminal investigators are said to be examining allegations that Afghan security firms have been extorting as much as $4 million a week from contractors paid with U.S. tax dollars and then funneling the spoils to warlords and the Taliban, according to a U.S. military document. The payments are intended to ensure safe passage through dangerous areas they control.

The payments reportedly end up in insurgent hands through a $2.1 billion Pentagon contract to transport food, water, fuel and ammunition to American troops stationed at bases across Afghanistan.

Rolling Stone fiasco: Gen. Stanley McChrystal summoned to White House - CSMonitor.com

This is the opinion of Steve Clemons that is the president of the New America Foundation. He is a well respected man in washington and i think that his opinions hold value.

Power is Relative: Runaway General Stanley McChrystal has to Go
Barack Obama has an easy choice to make: fire a general who has established a culture of insubordination and indifference toward civilian leaders and partners in government or defer yet again to a general who acquires power like medals every time he outwits or outmaneuvers the White House.

General Stanley McChrystal went over clear lines in the debate about the surge into Afghanistan with freelance comments he made in London. Recently, McChrystal stated that the move into Kandahar would slow and threw into doubt confidence in a July 2011 drawdown start date. He didn't consult with anyone before a public redesign of US strategy.

And now in this Rolling Stone report, "The Runaway General" (pdf), McChrystal and his team are reported ridiculing Joe Biden, Richard Holbrooke, Jim Jones, just about everyone not in their groove on strategy.

McChrystal has gone over too many lines.

Obama needs to fire him. If he doesn't, McChrystal's brand will be validated and the environment of insubordination and unprofessional conduct will be reinforced.

If McChrystal survives his White House encounter, then Obama will be diminished.

That is what this has come to.

Scotty Starnes's Blog

My Politically Incorrect Point of View
The Runaway General…Stanley McChystal feels betrayed. Claims Obama was unprepared and his real enemies are “The wimps in the White House.”

General Stanley McChystal is upset and feels betrayed by the man Obama appointed to be his diplomatic partner. McChrystal is apologizing for making the comments in a Rolling Stone articles. What is interesting is what McChystal said about meeting Obama for the first time.

Townhall.com reports:

In Rolling Stone, McChrystal is described by an aide as “disappointed” in his first Oval Office meeting with an unprepared President Barack Obama. The article says that although McChrystal voted for Obama, the two failed to connect from the start. Obama called McChrystal on the carpet last fall for speaking too bluntly about his desire for more troops.

“I found that time painful,” McChrystal said in the article, on newsstands Friday. “I was selling an unsellable position.”

An unprepared Obama? Hell, that sounds like the Obama we have seen from day one. A community organizer trying to dress down a General. Unbelievable.

McChrystal goes on to say that Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton backed his plans on the Afghanistan War while Vice-President Joe Biden was at the top of the list of those who opposed it.

Who did McChrystal consider his real enemy? “The wimps in the White House.” That pretty much describes Obama and his progressive band of goons.

The Runaway General…Stanley McChystal feels betrayed. Claims Obama was unprepared and his real enemies are “The wimps in the White House.” Scotty Starnes's Blog

I confidently predict Obama will sack General Stanley McChrystal for his Rolling Stone outburst

Oh dear, I fear General Stanley McChrystal will be making a one-day trip to Washington after U.S. President Barack Obama summoned him to Washington to explain his less than flattering remarks about the Obama administration that are due to appear in this week’s edition of Rolling Stone magazine.

Gen McChrystal has already apologised for the remarks, but that has not saved him from Mr Obama’s rage. There are many misguided souls in this world who still believe that the American president who is fundamentally a nice guy, who doesn’t get involved in petty political in-fighting.

Well, they are about to have a rude awakening. You don’t get to be elected President of the United States simply for a being a nice guy. You need to be a ruthless, political opportunist, and Mr Obama has these qualities in abundance.

The Obama administration gave serious consideration to dismissing McChrystal last autumn after his outspoken comments at London’s International Institute for Strategic Studies, in which he openly called on the Obama White House to back his surge strategy for Afghanistan.

Mr Obama thought better of sacking him then, but the hapless American general has now given Mr Obama all the ammunition he needs to fire him. Which is why I rate the chances of Gen McChrystal surviving his latest showdown with Mr Obama as zero.

I confidently predict Obama will sack General Stanley McChrystal for his Rolling Stone outburst – Telegraph Blogs

Con Coughlin, the Telegraph's executive foreign editor, is a world-renowned expert on the Middle East and Islamic terrorism. He is the author of several critically acclaimed books. His new book, Khomeini's Ghost, is published by Macmillan.

Gen. Stanley McChrystal, top commander in Afghanistan, ordered home over Rolling Stone comments

alg_general_mcchrystal.jpg

Gen. Stanley McChrystal apologized from overseas Tuesday for ripping the administration in a magazine article.

Now, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan will have a chance to say sorry in person.

McChyrstal has been ordered to Washington to explain why he and his staff criticized the White House in a recent Rolling Stone interview, administration officials said Tuesday.

Earlier, McChrystal had attempted to defuse the backlash over his comments in the piece, titled "The Runaway General."

"I extend my sincerest apology for this profile. It was a mistake reflecting poor judgment and should never have happened," he said.

"Throughout my career, I have lived by the principles of personal honor and professional integrity. What is reflected in this article falls far short of that standard," McChrystal added.

Instead of attending the monthly White House meeting on Afghanistan and Pakistan via teleconference, the general will be there in person Wednesday, the officials told The Associated Press.

The first casualty from the article appears to be a civilian member of McChyrstal's staff who allegedly arranged the Rolling Stone interview.

NBC News reported that Duncan Boothby quit his role on the general's public relations team. According to a senior military official, he was "asked to resign."

Last year, Obama criticized the general over his call for more troops in Afghanistan. In September, McChrystal issued a report saying without more soldiers, the war "will likely result in failure."

The president eventually added 30,000 soldiers to the war, but McChrystal and his staff felt Obama took to long and found his July 2011 deadline for withdrawal arbitrary.

"I found that time painful," McChrystal said. "I was selling an unsellable position."

Among McChrystal's criticisms in the Rolling Stone interview:

The general said he felt "betrayed" by U.S. ambassador to Afghanistan Karl Eikenberry, a former three-star general. In a leaked document last year, Eikenberry said he distrusted Afghan president Hamid Karzai. "Here's one that covers his flank for the history books," McChrystal told Rolling Stone of Eikenberry.

McChrystal, the article reports, took control of the war, the article states, "by never taking his eye off the real enemy: The wimps in the White House."

An aide is quoted as calling National Security Adviser Gen. (Ret.) Jim Jones a "clown."

On Richard Holbrooke, the president's envoy to Afghanistan and Pakistan, a McChrystal staffer says he is a "wounded animal," dangerous because rumors speculated Holbrooke would be fired.

The general said that while he voted for Obama, the two men never hit it off in meetings last fall and he found the president unprepared.

However, McChrystal said Tuesday he has "enormous respect" for Obama and his team and emphasized his devotion to winning the war.

"I remain committed to ensuring its successful outcome," he said.

Gen. Stanley McChrystal, top commander in Afghanistan, ordered home over Rolling Stone comments

Why the hell its his fault .. He wasnt given enough resources.. Everybody was seeing defeat but yet the stooges in the white house didnt..!!!
unfortunately fine men pay the price of the blunders did by Politicians..!!!

Well, someone had to go for the mess US has made in Afghanistan. Seems like McChrystal will be the scapegoat for US this time.

In any case, such remarks against the political leadership by a general should not go unaccounted for in any democracy.

Magazine profile captures unguarded moments of top general, staff

An article in Rolling Stone portrays U.S. Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal, the top commander in Afghanistan, as dismissive of Vice President Joe Biden and some administration officials.

54475871.jpg

Reporting from Washington —
In a new magazine profile, the top commander in Afghanistan, Army Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal, and his advisors appear to ridicule Vice President Joe Biden and are portrayed as dismissive of civilian oversight of the war.

The article, in Rolling Stone, said McChrystal's staff frequently derided top civilian leaders, including special envoy Richard C. Holbrooke and U.S. Ambassador to Afghanistan Karl Eikenberry.

The detailed report on the top command in Afghanistan could worsen tensions with the White House, which in the past has felt boxed in by military commanders anxious to get more troops for the war. The article said that only Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton received good reviews from McChrystal's inner circle.

U.S. general lets down his guard in Rolling Stone interview - latimes.com

Pulitzer for Rolling Stone

The major daily newspapers are stuck following Rolling Stone magazine yet again on a major Obama administration scandal.

From the Washington Post: “KABUL — The top U.S. general in Afghanistan apologized Tuesday for a magazine article that portrays him and his staff as flippant and dismissive of top Obama administration officials involved in Afghanistan policy. The profile in Rolling Stone magazine, titled the Runaway General, is certain to increase tension between the White House and Gen. Stanley McChrystal. It also raises fresh questions about the judgment and leadership style of the commander Obama appointed last year in an effort to turn around a worsening conflict. McChrystal and some of his senior advisers are quoted criticizing top administration officials, at times in starkly derisive terms. An anonymous McChrystal aide is quoted calling national security adviser James Jones a clown:woot:

Rolling Stone’s scoop is not insignificant.

From al-Jazeera: “The US commander in Afghanistan has apologised over a magazine profile that quotes him denouncing a top diplomat while his aides dismiss Barack Obama, the US president, and mock his deputies. Tensions between General Stanley McChrystal, the commander of US and Nato troops in Afghanistan, and the White House are on full display in the article that is to be published in Rolling Stone, a US magazine, on Friday.”

The administration has stepped on a male’s sensitive body part and the repercussions of this split do indeed affect not only the war in Afghanistan but the war on terror, the Korean War (which may resume soon) and our relations with our allies.

The story seems to depict a dithering president torn between those who want to surrender Afghanistan and the people who must fight it. This is huge.

And it may cost someone his job.

From the Washington Post: “KABUL — The top U.S. general in Afghanistan was headed to Washington early Tuesday for an impromptu White House meeting, after apologizing for an upcoming magazine article that portrays him and his staff as flippant and dismissive of top Obama administration officials involved in Afghanistan policy.”

Then there is Rolling Stone’s coverage of President Obama’s turtle-in-slow-motion response to the BP oil spill.

From Rolling Stone: “Like the attacks by Al Qaeda, the disaster in the Gulf was preceded by ample warnings – yet the administration had ignored them. Instead of cracking down on MMS, as he had vowed to do even before taking office, Obama left in place many of the top officials who oversaw the agency’s culture of corruption. He permitted it to rubber-stamp dangerous drilling operations by BP – a firm with the worst safety record of any oil company – with virtually no environmental safeguards, using industry-friendly regulations drafted during the Bush years. He calibrated his response to the Gulf spill based on flawed and misleading estimates from BP – and then deployed his top aides to lowball the flow rate at a laughable 5,000 barrels a day, long after the best science made clear this catastrophe would eclipse the Exxon Valdez.”

Rolling Stone has knocked down a couple of doors in the Obama administration. Scoops happen. Even two. But if I owned the Washington Post or the New York Times, I would be danged sure this does not happen a third time.

Pulitzer for Rolling Stone Don Surber

The meetings with our generals bore some fruit. Now they are expressing political opinion and mocking and defying state officials.

The Rolling Stone Article's Juiciest Bits

Who's he going to dinner with?" I ask one of his aides. "Some French minister," the aide tells me. "It's fcu-king ga-y."

Even though he had voted for Obama, McChrystal and his new commander in chief failed from the outset to connect. The general first encountered Obama a week after he took office, when the president met with a dozen senior military officials in a room at the Pentagon known as the Tank. According to sources familiar with the meeting, McChrystal thought Obama looked "uncomfortable and intimidated" by the roomful of military brass. Their first one-on-one meeting took place in the Oval Office four months later, after McChrystal got the Afghanistan job, and it didn't go much better. "It was a 10-minute photo op," says an adviser to McChrystal. "Obama clearly didn't know anything about him, who he was. Here's the guy who's going to run his fc-uking war, but he didn't seem very engaged. The Boss was pretty disappointed."

Even those who support McChrystal and his strategy of counterinsurgency know that whatever the general manages to accomplish in Afghanistan, it's going to look more like Vietnam than Desert Storm. "It's not going to look like a win, smell like a win or taste like a win," says Maj. Gen. Bill Mayville, who serves as chief of operations for McChrystal. "This is going to end in an argument."

At one point on his trip to Paris, McChrystal checks his BlackBerry. "Oh, not another e-mail from Holbrooke," he groans. "I don't even want to open it." He clicks on the message and reads the salutation out loud, then stuffs the BlackBerry back in his pocket, not bothering to conceal his annoyance. "Make sure you don't get any of that on your leg," an aide jokes, referring to the e-mail.

This is one of the central flaws with McChrystal's counterinsurgency strategy: The need to build a credible government puts us at the mercy of whatever tin-pot leader we've backed - a danger that Eikenberry explicitly warned about in his cable. Even Team McChrystal privately acknowledges that Karzai is a less than-ideal partner. "He's been locked up in his palace the past year," laments one of the general's top advisers. At times, Karzai himself has actively undermined McChrystal's desire to put him in charge. During a recent visit to Walter Reed my Medical Center, Karzai met three U.S. soldiers who had been wounded in Uruzgan province. "General," he called out to McChrystal, "I didn't even know we were fighting in Uruzgan!"
:usflag:

It doesn't hurt that McChrystal was also extremely successful as head of the Joint Special Operations Command, the elite forces that carry out the government's darkest ops. During the Iraq surge, his team killed and captured thousands of insurgents, including Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the leader of Al Qaeda in Iraq. "JSOC was a killing machine," says Maj. Gen. Mayville, his chief of operations. McChrystal was also open to new ways of killing. He systematically mapped out terrorist networks, targeting specific insurgents and hunting them down - often with the help of cyberfreaks traditionally shunned by the military. "The Boss would find the 24-year-old kid with a nose ring, with some fcuk-ing brilliant degree from MIT, sitting in the corner with 16 computer monitors humming," says a Special Forces commando who worked with McChrystal in Iraq and now serves on his staff in Kabul.
"He'd say, 'Hey - you fu-cking muscleheads couldn't find lunch without help. You got to work together with these guys.' "

But however strategic they may be, McChrystal's new marching orders have caused an intense backlash among his own troops. Being told to hold their fire,soldiers complain, puts them in greater danger. "Bottom line?" says a former Special Forces operator who has spent years in Iraq and Afghanistan. "I would love to kick McChrystal in the nuts. His rules of engagement put soldiers' lives in even greater danger. Every real soldier will tell you the same thing."
In March, McChrystal

The Rolling Stone Article's Juiciest Bits - Politics - The Atlantic

Back
Top Bottom