What's new

Massive 8.8-magnitude quake strikes Japan

I agree, we have unity in crisis, but a common excuse of other countries denying visa free entry to Chinese passport holders is because of "low class behavior". On the other hand, Hong Kong in 1997 had Visa free access to only 3 countries but now have Visa free access to 100+ due to government lobbying yet our government still does not push for Visa free access for the mainland? Vietnam have more Visa free access countries than we do, there are more South Korean illegals than there are Chinese illegals in the US and we still don't have Visa free access, we even need visa to visit Zimbabwe!

In this aspect we must put the blame squarely on the government for failing to provide us with the same level of support as Hong Kong and for making the PRC passport worth less than the passport of the Congo.

It is ludicrous that people from CONGO and EGYPT, countries with 1/20th and 1/3rd the GDP/capita of China, can visit Hong Kong visa free, while mainlanders can't.
For China a hell place everyone want to leave from as well as for USA.1.3 billion possibility must be controlled.

I agree, we have unity in crisis, but a common excuse of other countries denying visa free entry to Chinese passport holders is because of "low class behavior". On the other hand, Hong Kong in 1997 had Visa free access to only 3 countries but now have Visa free access to 100+ due to government lobbying yet our government still does not push for Visa free access for the mainland?
I have always wondered why do the Chinese mainland people need visa to travel into HK? Are there any valid reasons or just the lack of govt will to get this through.

I have always wondered why do the Chinese mainland people need visa to travel into HK? Are there any valid reasons or just the lack of govt will to get this through.
Otherwise HongKong will be blow up I think although lives there also be tough enough.

Otherwise HongKong will be blow up I think although lives there also be tough enough.

But things are booming everywhere else in mainland right?... why would people want to migrate in such numbers to HK where the cost of living is through the roof anyways? At somepoint there will be an equilibrium. I don't think anyone from mainland gets their visa denied to enter HK anyways... isnt it?

Reports coming in that 2000 more bodies found in the Miyagi Prefecture alone today. This is in addition to the 1697 confirmed dead so far.
Death toll is likely to rise more.

wrong! people from starvation countries BURKINA FASO, NAMIBIA, ZIMBABWE, TANZANIA, NIGER, CONGO and PHILLIPINES can go to Hong Kong visa free. EDIT: No pakistan, but INDIA, EGYPT and JORDAN still remain.

There are also LESS mainland illegal immigrants in US than SOUTH KOREAN ones. the discrimination against PRC passport is ludicrous, more because a ZIMBABWE passport is worth more.

wrong! people from starvation countries BURKINA FASO, NAMIBIA, ZIMBABWE, TANZANIA, NIGER, CONGO and PHILLIPINES can go to Hong Kong visa free. EDIT: No pakistan, but INDIA, EGYPT and JORDAN still remain.

There are also LESS mainland illegal immigrants in US than SOUTH KOREAN ones. the discrimination against PRC passport is ludicrous, more because a ZIMBABWE passport is worth more.

I think it would be easier to spot an Indian, Egyptian or African illegal migrant in Hong Kong, so I guess they can take the risk. Whereas the mainland Chinese will blend right in with Hongkong population. You know how all the Asians look the same and all:lol: j/k

I think it would be easier to spot an Indian, Egyptian or African illegal migrant in Hong Kong, so I guess they can take the risk. Whereas the mainland Chinese will blend right in with Hongkong population. You know how all the Asians look the same and all:lol: j/k

Vietnam has visa-free entry to singapore. They can blend in easily and become illegal immigrants. They infact, do do so. More South Koreans are illegal immigrants than Chinese are. Yet they have freeer passport requirements. 50% of Nigerians want to leave their country. Nigeria's passport is better than the standard PRC one.

China does not have visa-free entry.

Vietnam's GDP/capita is less than 4x that of China's.

You know what the problem is?

Our government, and racism. Probably government 70% racism 30%. PRC, ROC and HK all have higher than average visa requirements, that's the racism part. It's not all racism though. Through PRC lobbying (Hong Kong doesn't even have a foreign affairs office), 100 countries admit PRC (HK) passports without visa. 3 did in 1997, an increase of over 33x. Our government has not moved at all on mainland private passports. Getting a passport is also hell, requiring a trip to Beijing in person, processing time of 40 days and you have to pay for the mail. Even for travel into VISA FREE/VISA ON ARRIVAL countries like Malaysia and Indonesia, it's not their border controls that will get you, it's our internal ones: they check your passport for a stamped Visa, or they won't let you board the plane!

Getting a visa to India? Forget about it. Processing time is over a month and you may be denied for any reason or no reason at all. Visas for India into China? 4 days processing. Huawei projects in India were cancelled (to the detriment of India!) due to visa problems before. In fact, the passports of NORTH KOREA and ZIMBABWE are superior to the visas of China - visa free entry to singapore and HK respectively.

Why do they do this? Well, face issues. Japanese citizens can live and work in mainland China better than Chinese ones can (including HK and Taiwan!). Another reason why rescues of PRC citizens in times of crisis is so efficient, but when you get arrested for troubles overseas, the consultate hardly ever sends a lawyer to help you! This is the downside of an authoritarian government - they can get away with blatant discrimination and incompetency.

For China a hell place everyone want to leave from as well as for USA.1.3 billion possibility must be controlled.

No, China's great. At least, better than Vietnam, the Congo, India, Phillipines, Myanmar, North Korea, Zimbabwe and all the other countries that our passport is inferior to. If you think China's that bad, you can move to Zimbabwe or North Korea (but have to get their visa first!) =)

Not to sound insensitive or anything, but has anyone assessed what will be the economic impact of this disaster? I've seen a couple of blogs, but nothing comprehensive.

And being an Indian, I'm obviously interested in the impact on India. Off the top of my mind, the proposed investment in Delhi metro by Japanese govt will take a hit I think. Can anyone elaborate along these lines? Thanx.

Not to sound insensitive or anything, but has anyone assessed what will be the economic impact of this disaster? I've seen a couple of blogs, but nothing comprehensive.

And being an Indian, I'm obviously interested in the impact on India. Off the top of my mind, the proposed investment in Delhi metro by Japanese govt will take a hit I think. Can anyone elaborate along these lines? Thanx.

Well in my view there economy will get injured a lot of liquid cash would be needed to combat the disaster now you require liquid cash to make fdi so yes it will take a set back

This is a great blow to India, and a great opportunity for China to spend some of our worthless FDI on aid to Japan while India loses a major investor.

If India can have a better visa policy for Chinese nationals, maybe we can invest in India more. But as of now, Indian immigration controls treat Chinese people worse than Zimbabwe, North Korea and Congo. A hint: it's bad to treat millionaire investors like trash.

Too early to estimate with a good accuracy, but initial estimates are around $100B.

The Japanese are very very professional in these commitments. I know of a couple of groups who are investing in India and were in India during the weekend. They were very resolute and said the show must go on. Whatever they have committed, they will do. Any new investments or financial commitments maybe harder to come, although the Bank of Japan has decided to keep funds available in the market. So I don't anticipate much disruptions in terms of investments and Japanese commitments around the world.

This is a great blow to India, and a great opportunity for China to spend some of our worthless FDI on aid to Japan while India loses a major investor.
If India can have a better visa policy for Chinese nationals, maybe we can invest in India more. But as of now, Indian immigration controls treat Chinese people worse than Zimbabwe, North Korea and Congo. A hint: it's bad to treat millionaire investors like trash.
This is difficult to say at this point if we loose Japanese investments, but I do encourage the Chinese investments in India. I wish things were better for the Chinese business people. Things need to improve from both sides politically before more investments can be welcome into India. At present everything is taken with utmost caution and apprehension. Once confidence builds up, we will surely see a more open visa policy.

Back
Top Bottom