What's new

Maruti Gypsy gets repeat order from Army, 4,100

sathya

Reaction score
Country
India
SOURCE: EXPRESS NEWS SERVICE

The Indian Army has placed an order for over 4,100 units of the Maruti Gypsy, the biggest order for the car till date, giving a new lease of life to one of the earliest sports utility vehicles (SUV) that has evolved little since its launch in 1985. The previous order from the Army was for around 1,000 vehicles in 2012. The current order was placed three months ago, and Maruti has already delivered half the number to the Army, while the remaining would be delivered in around four months. The Army’s first order for the Gypsy was in 1991, and since then, Maruti Suzuki India has sold 31,000 of the vehicles to the force. “Army has some specific requirements and they need additional accessories. We tweak those specifications even though it involves a lot of effort on our part in terms of engineering and production. We are glad they have shown trust in us with repeat orders,” said RS Kalsi, executive director and head of domestic sales and marketing at Maruti Suzuki India.

The Gypsy is customised for the Army with special accessories. A source said that the cars have convoy lights, which emits a green ray that the soldiers follow at the time of black-out in a war situation. Among other things, the cars are also provided with hooks in the rear for towing military equipment such as large guns and inside for mounting weapons. There has also been demand from the Air Force, Navy, paramilitary forces and BSF but the numbers from them have been significantly lower as compared to that from the Army. “They order 50-100 vehicles in batches,” said Kalsi. The 4-wheel drive, petrol Gypsy has been left out by the competition in the SUV market. Several factors have been responsible — such as the lack of a diesel variant. Sales of the model over the last few years have been insignificant, but company officials say that the Gypsy is still popular with sports enthusiasts and rally drivers.

Having seen little change in terms of appearance, the Gypsy has lost out among current SUV buyers who are torn between compact stylish vehicles and big and powerful models with specs to match. The car, however, seems to hold some appeal in the Bollywood. A company source said that actor Sohail Khan recently bought a Gypsy that was fully customised for him and drove it in the Himalayan Rally. Another Bollywood customer was John Abraham who also got his fully customised. – See more at: Maruti Gypsy gets repeat order from Army, 4,100 this time | The Indian Express

Maruti Gypsy gets repeat order from Army, 4,100 this time | idrw.org

What happened diesel Scorpio of Mahendra ?

SOURCE: EXPRESS NEWS SERVICE

The Indian Army has placed an order for over 4,100 units of the Maruti Gypsy, the biggest order for the car till date, giving a new lease of life to one of the earliest sports utility vehicles (SUV) that has evolved little since its launch in 1985. The previous order from the Army was for around 1,000 vehicles in 2012. The current order was placed three months ago, and Maruti has already delivered half the number to the Army, while the remaining would be delivered in around four months. The Army’s first order for the Gypsy was in 1991, and since then, Maruti Suzuki India has sold 31,000 of the vehicles to the force. “Army has some specific requirements and they need additional accessories. We tweak those specifications even though it involves a lot of effort on our part in terms of engineering and production. We are glad they have shown trust in us with repeat orders,” said RS Kalsi, executive director and head of domestic sales and marketing at Maruti Suzuki India.

Maruti Gypsy gets repeat order from Army, 4,100 this time | The Indian Express

Maruti Gypsy gets repeat order from Army, 4,100 this time | idrw.org

What happened diesel Scorpio of Mahendra ?

Badi meherbani aapki :hitwall:

Cause tweaking a few things for your biggest customer is like doing them a massive favour !

1298 cc..:lol:

They are not meant for the battlefield, are cheap to buy and maintain, very frugal and manufactured in India. Does the job of transporting officers from point A to point B, you don't really need a V8 turbo charged motor for that.

India can buy 7-8 Gypsies for the price of one Land Rover Defender, which Pakistan Army uses if am not wrong.

The order was for small vehicles not trucks :lol:

Dude my car has more power than gypsy ..:lol:

It's a military vehicle we are talking about here .. :lol:

They are not meant for the battlefield, are cheap to buy and maintain, very frugal and manufactured in India. Does the job of transporting officers from point A to point B, you don't really need a V8 turbo charged motor for that.

India can buy 7-8 Gypsies for the price of one Land Rover Defender, which Pakistan Army uses if am not wrong.
Toyota LCs,Toyota vigos,hilux,Defenders and some mitsu L series ... For special missions (arnoured...muhafiz,LAVs etc).. And now hopefully this:

image.jpg

Toyota LCs,Toyota vigos,hilux,Defenders and some mitsu L series ... Before it was mostly american "jeeps"....

We were not impressed by the bevy of brass and politicians who came to address us off and on in the POW camps. But we were impressed by their financial discipline, visible in the use of indigenously made vehicles right up to their prime ministerial level while newspaper photographs showed our military delegation using shiny Mercedes limousines for border meetings. This, even in defeat – we thought to ourselves.
Ghosts of December

I am also planning to give them order of 1 vehicle :coffee:

Not a bad idea; you will enjoy driving it. I did and still do with an old Gypsy that I use off-road. You can bash it around without a care!
The IA uses it because it is the only vehicle that can be transported inside a Mil-17 or slung under a Dhruv. In Exercises, they found it to be a better (and cheaper) transport than the Quads that the US Army used.

Not a bad idea; you will enjoy driving it. I did and still do with an old Gypsy that I use off-road. You can bash it around without a care!
The IA uses it because it is the only vehicle that can be transported inside a Mil-17 or slung under a Dhruv. In Exercises, they found it to be a better (and cheaper) transport than the Quads that the US Army used.
Is army does use quads for transport ..

Toyota LCs,Toyota vigos,hilux,Defenders and some mitsu L series ... Before it was mostly american "jeeps"....

Yeah all expensive off roaders , Maruti Gypsy when ordered in bulk as is the case with the Army would cost no more than 4.5-5 Lakh Indian Rupees.

Yeah all expensive off roaders , Maruti Gypsy when ordered in bulk as is the case with the Army would cost no more than 4.5-5 Lakh Indian Rupees.
They are still tin cans .. Expensive my ***.. Check out the humvees the Americans are using amigo
Did Suzuki introduce "Jimny" In india ? Fk it's expensive for a 1500 cc tiny lil SUV..

We were not impressed by the bevy of brass and politicians who came to address us off and on in the POW camps. But we were impressed by their financial discipline, visible in the use of indigenously made vehicles right up to their prime ministerial level while newspaper photographs showed our military delegation using shiny Mercedes limousines for border meetings. This, even in defeat – we thought to ourselves.
Ghosts of December

Suzuki gypsy isn't indian sorry to say.

They are still tin cans .. Expensive my ***.. Check out the humvees the Americans are using amigo

Did Suzuki introduce "Jimny" In india ? Fk it's expensive for a 1500 cc tiny lil SUV..

Dude you can't compare with Americans, our people live on roughly $1500 a year, theirs, $50,000.

Jimny is known as Gypsy in India, I think.

The Maruti Gypsy is a four-wheel-drive vehicle based on the long wheelbase Suzuki Jimny SJ40/410 series. It is primarily an off-road vehicle, or a vehicle for rough unprepared roads.

Dude you can't compare with Americans, our people live on roughly $1500 a year, theirs, $50,000.

Jimny is known as Gypsy in India, I think.

The Maruti Gypsy is a four-wheel-drive vehicle based on the long wheelbase Suzuki Jimny SJ40/410 series. It is primarily an off-road vehicle, or a vehicle for rough unprepared roads.
Despite these vehicles being made in Pak we are paying 24-25 lac for this peice of shit:
image.jpg

And even 7-50 lac for a shitty mehran.

Back
Top Bottom