What's new

Malala poll

Is Malala is going to get brainwashed and sent to PAK to "save it"

• Total voters
Another excellent analysis of the sad state of Pakistan society regarding the status of women and about Taliban.

Malala escapes the cauldron

IRFAN HUSAIN

Published
2013-07-27 07:12:33

STOP me if you’ve heard this one, but there was this guy waiting in line to be told whether he’d spend eternity in hell or heaven when a passing angel offered to take him around the underworld.

The visitor saw huge cauldrons with roaring fires below each one, and giants with cudgels standing guard. The guide explained that if a condemned sinner tried to climb out, the sentries would promptly knock him back in.

But when they passed by the cauldron full of Pakistanis, the visitor noticed there was no giant to guard it. When he asked why, the angel replied: “When Pakistanis try to escape, the others pull them down, so we don’t need a guard.”

This is what’s happening to poor Malala Yousafzai. Both Left and Right have joined hands to destroy her credibility after her eloquent and deeply moving speech at the UN recently. In a flurry of hostile, mean-spirited emails, the trolls on the internet have savaged the heroine from Swat, accusing her of being either Satan’s pawn, or an American agent.

Both points of view are part of what I call our overarching ‘yes, but…’ narrative. The affirmative is used to agree that the Taliban are violent terrorists, and then immediately comes this predictable anti-American riff: ‘But aren’t the Americans doing even worse things with their drones?’ This is followed by a whole litany of complaints about Iraq, Afghanistan and Israel.

It is this moral relativism that lets the Taliban off the hook and prevents a national consensus from developing. Even my old friend Ayaz Amir seems to have joined this chorus. In a recent column in The News, he wrote:

“‘Thousands of people have been killed by the terrorists,’ she [Malala] said. But who are the terrorists? If we accept the American definition of terrorism that Al Qaeda and the Taliban are terrorists, is it all that irrelevant to ask as to who’s killed more people since the September 11 attacks, the ‘terrorists’ or the apostles of right, the Americans?”

Yes, Ayaz, it is an entirely irrelevant question. Terrorists are defined as people who target unarmed, innocent non-combatants to further political ends. States exercise a monopoly on violence, and often use it to defend their interests. There are international agreements and treaties that are supposed to prevent and govern warfare between states.

It is entirely legitimate and even necessary to debate and criticise the American use and abuse of its power. But to lay this burden on poor Malala’s young shoulders is a wicked thing to do. Ayaz Amir concedes that “Malala is not to be blamed”. But why conflate American wrongs, real and perceived, with Malala’s UN speech?

Ayaz Amir, like many other Pakistanis, has hailed the Taliban as freedom fighters.

Really? Who do the jihadis slaughtering Pakistanis by the thousands want to free the country from? When they blow up (Pakistani) Hazaras in Quetta, are they motivated by a burning desire for freedom? Or when they go about destroying (Pakistani) schools, do they think they are striking a blow for liberty? While they are beheading their (Pakistani) victims, do they see themselves as heroes of a liberation struggle?

This is a mindset shared by the Taliban on both sides of the border. And when people attempt to make a distinction between the TTP and the Afghan Taliban, they forget that they are ideological Siamese twins.

Many Pakistanis, on both Right and Left, are so consumed by their anti-Americanism that they close their eyes to what’s happening around them and to them. Our tormentors are Pakistanis, as are their victims. Let us not elevate the Pakistani Taliban to the level of the Vietcong or the PLO. Those who have slaughtered over 40,000 Pakistanis need to be identified as who they really are: killers who have no qualms about bringing death and destruction to thousands of innocent men, women and children.

In one anti-Malala diatribe, somebody posted this little gem: “Forget the image of your country, forget about the school. She [Malala] would eventually get what she was after, a life of luxury abroad.”

Actually, Malala is not leading a ‘life of luxury’: her father has been appointed an education officer at our consulate in Birmingham, and she’s going to school there. This is hardly living it up in St Tropez.

More to the point, this trope is similar to Musharraf’s infamous put-down of Mukhtaran Mai when he implied that her gang rape provided her with the opportunity to go abroad. Both the blogger and Musharraf seem more concerned about the image of Pakistan abroad than what’s happening in the country. And the reality of life in Pakistan for women is especially hard. According to most global indices, ours is one of the harshest environments in the world for women. Joining us at the bottom are India, Afghanistan and Somalia.

Recently, we learned that two girls had been killed by relatives just because a film clip of them dancing fully clothed in the rain was uploaded to the internet.

Another unfortunate woman was reported to have been killed at the command of a tribal jirga for possessing a cellphone. These are stories that barely make it to page six of the national newspapers. Not a day passes without news of some gruesome atrocity committed against women.

In our ferociously patriarchal society, when a woman achieves something the world applauds, should we not be proud? Should we not shower her with bouquets instead of brickbats? When somebody climbs out of the cauldron reserved for Pakistani women, must we try to drag her back?

It is typical of our cynical mindset that even when there is poetic justice in Malala’s rebuttal of everything the Taliban stand for, there should be catcalls instead of cheers. In a country so short of heroes, it is ironic that Malala should have more admirers abroad than she does in Pakistan.

irfan.husain@gmail.com
Malala escapes the cauldron - DAWN.COM

ok i don't know if I'm the only one but how many people think Malala is going to come back to pakistan when she older to "save" pakistan?

am i the only one thinking that Malala the poor girl is going to get brainwashed in Uk and and sent back later on to "save us pakistanis" and "save her country"

I think there are bigger concerns like your poor grammar and the fact that your brain has managed to produce such a laughable conspiracy theory.

dont be a fool , we get brainwashed here in america everyday in our schools, just like communists brainwash their kids.

when i went to school the teachers use to tell us how cuba and russia brainwash all the kids in their school, so i started thinking that aren't our teachers doing the same to us, by telling us communism is bad and capitalism is the best.

but the brain washing im talking about is turning her into like salman rushdie type of person.

Bravo comparing an innocent girl with Salman Rushdie. Your mind is polluted, I thought in ramadhan one is supposed to purify ones mind?

I think there are bigger concerns like your poor grammar and the fact that your brain has managed to produce such a laughable conspiracy theory.
bigger concerns like my poor grammar? lol.
there is a reason Pakistan is a **** hole lol. its because of people like you, smartas ses who act politically correct to kiss other countries ***.
im not here writing an essay for you fags, if you dont like my grammar then choke on my you know what.

Bravo comparing an innocent girl with Salman Rushdie. Your mind is polluted, I thought in ramadhan one is supposed to purify ones mind?

lies lies lies, pakistanis are one of the biggest liars in the world as well so im not surprised at this comment, what i said was that i was afraid that the retarded old fart queen of yours and her goons were going to brain was pakistan's Malala, you incompetent little liar.

This writer seems to have delved into Pakistani psyche and came up with the best explanation as to why some Pakistanis hate Malala. Just shows what kind of mind-set a section of Pakistan society possesses.

From Conspiristan with love

Zaair Hussain
Sunday, August 04, 2013
From Print Edition

5 2 1 0

In the past couple of weeks, many people I know have been furious about the treatment of Malala Yousufzai in Pakistan. Why, they ask in plaintive and frankly nasal tones, do so many people at home insist on dragging the purest possible form of hero through the mud, when she is universally lauded everywhere else?

Foolishness. I have duly chided them for their lack of awareness. They sit among the people who deride Malala and do not understand their reality. They have slipped into Conspiristan, our less than benevolent version of Narnia (entered not through a wardrobe but a closet of skeletons), and yet expect the world to make sense.

When you are in Rome, you do as the Romans do, for good or ill. It is a shocking breach of etiquette to sit in Conspiristan and demand logic.

Always a servant to the public good, I have decided to devote my time to take you on a tour, that you might not embarrass yourselves further with your ignorance of your surroundings.

Let us journey together to a new place, a place I have never lived in but have always been compelled, out of excruciating curiosity, to visit. Let’s go to Conspiristan.

At first glance, it looks an awful lot like home. The sky is blue, traffic is terrible, and we are in an abusive but exciting relationship with our cricket team. But after a moment, you realise you have entered a world like an M C Escher painting, made of up recognisable objects but impossibly twisted around until the whole is a distorted view through a broken prism.

It soon becomes clear that Malala is in direct conflict with three customs of this land: a painstakingly cultivated culture of victimhood from ‘foreign hands’, a suspicion of local heroes and a disdain for women who are too loud for their own good.

Conspiristan is in many ways a comfortable place, where you can tell everything about someone from a glance at their passport or name or skin. Pakistani Muslims are prima facie incapable of wrongdoing. Righteousness is woven into their DNA, which is why the idea of the Pakistani Taliban actually being Pakistani is absurd, when they are clearly a Ukrainian Uzbek American Jew hybrid. You can tell, you see, because they do terrible things. Every terrible action of a Pakistani can easily be attributed in every case to an outside power jealous and frightened of our awe-inspiring potential.

In Conspiristan everything is about you. Everything. Every policy, every war, every amendment to every constitution is aimed at the oppression and destruction of Muslims and particularly Pakistanis. You have to watch your back, because there are spies around every corner, foreign hands in Pakistani gloves, conspiracies hatching like eggs on a battery farm, all to hold back the development of Pakistan since we are the chosen people and if we were able to come into our own, why, we would rule the world within a year.

How can we blame people for their fervent belief that Malala is part of a conspiracy, when they live and breathe conspiracies every day? Now, in the real world, we may think of entities like the CIA as war criminals with all the subtlety of a bull in a china shop who couldn’t kill Fidel Castro after half a hundred tries and hunted a man on dialysis for 11 years before finding him, who’s lies are so outrageous they are caught out at every turn. (Remember the Weapons of Mass Disappearance in Iraq?) In Conspiristan, however, the CIA is an omniscient, omnipotent entity that works in complete stealth and silence and maliciousness, like a cross between a ninja and the devil.

But they will fail because for all their power and low cunning, they did not reckon with the average Conspiristani armchair detective. You see, in Conspiristan, we are all Snowdens and Sherlocks. No matter how mediocre our performance in the rest of our day to day lives, we have complete confidence in our ability to sniff out plots like a bloodhound in a slaughterhouse.

It’s not that the locals of this land do not have journalists and analysts who have made it their life’s work to try and seek the truth. But they cannot hold a candle to that far more respectable and reliable source, My Aunt's Cousin Twice Removed or of course the ever sagacious Some Chap I Met At Dinner.

Nor, in fairness, can Malala’s gender be trusted. Conspiristan is chock full of women who apparently suffer through the unimaginable nightmare of sexual assault and then talk about it ‘to get a foreign passport’. In fact, ‘talking about it’ is clearly a greater crime here than “it” ever is and herein, again, lies Malala’s obvious treason.

In this strange land, perpetrators of violent crime-gang rape, terrorism etc are condemned but never with such full throated conviction and vitriol as are the (usually female) victims and survivors of those crimes that speak out against it. The locals are convinced this is a sound strategy for both moral and practical reasons: a) violent criminals may do terrible things but at least they don’t talk to westerners about it, possibly (horrors!) bringing shame to the country and b) violent criminals are usually far scarier opponents than victimized girls and women. An easy choice.

This was most infamous in the case of the insensitive Mukhtaran Mai who shocked a nation by talking about her gang-rape, without taking into account that she may possibly be hurting the feelings of a country that had never done anything to her aside from allow a culture where her horror was commonplace (and subsequently released five of her six rapists, confiscated her passport and raided her organisation for women’s welfare).

Why should Malala be above suspicion? This is a land where it is sane, patriotic and not at all a sign of mass mental illness that the greatest scientist of the nation and its only Nobel Prize winner was driven away from his beloved homeland and subsequently had his grave defaced for the provocative crime of being an Ahmadi in the first degree.

In Conspiristan, there is no possible way that a Pakistani girl who had championed education throughout her short life and was shot for it – almost fatally – is not a CIA plant. The clues were all around us: for example, all the white people being nice to her and inviting her to the UN which is one of the many major hubs for discussing anti-Pakistani plots (Conspiristan geography: the world is 70 percent ocean, 30 percent land and 120 percent anti-Pakistani hubs).

In this world, the brave criticisms of the public, who showed their courageous unwillingness to back down to or be cowed by a nearly mortally wounded 16-year-old girl, may well have saved the nation from Superspy Malala, who would no doubt have been torturing detainees in Baghram Airbase by the time she was old enough to vote (ie rig elections for her American overlords).

But let us return now, my friends, from this topsy-turvy land. It may amuse us to visit, but I wouldn’t want to live there, and too many of us already do. And if you have a friend or a family member who went once too often and has gone native (trust me, you do) coax them back to Pakistan if you can. Conspiristan’s inhabitants could swell until all of Pakistan is absorbed into it but it will never, ever be Pakistan. It is not real, and never will be.

And sometimes, as we delightedly sniff out conspiracies because they are exciting and make us feel clever, we need to be reminded of that.

The writer is a freelance contributor.

Email: zaairhussain@**********
From Conspiristan with love - Zaair Hussain

well well well
looks like the west has started to brian wash poor malala. i guess i was correct? lol
Malala wants to be PM, says Nobel would be 'great honour' - DAWN.COM

This writer seems to have delved into Pakistani psyche and came up with the best explanation as to why some Pakistanis hate Malala. Just shows what kind of mind-set a section of Pakistan society possesses.

From Conspiristan with love

Zaair Hussain
Sunday, August 04, 2013
From Print Edition

5 2 1 0

In the past couple of weeks, many people I know have been furious about the treatment of Malala Yousufzai in Pakistan. Why, they ask in plaintive and frankly nasal tones, do so many people at home insist on dragging the purest possible form of hero through the mud, when she is universally lauded everywhere else?

Foolishness. I have duly chided them for their lack of awareness. They sit among the people who deride Malala and do not understand their reality. They have slipped into Conspiristan, our less than benevolent version of Narnia (entered not through a wardrobe but a closet of skeletons), and yet expect the world to make sense.

When you are in Rome, you do as the Romans do, for good or ill. It is a shocking breach of etiquette to sit in Conspiristan and demand logic.

Always a servant to the public good, I have decided to devote my time to take you on a tour, that you might not embarrass yourselves further with your ignorance of your surroundings.

Let us journey together to a new place, a place I have never lived in but have always been compelled, out of excruciating curiosity, to visit. Let’s go to Conspiristan.

At first glance, it looks an awful lot like home. The sky is blue, traffic is terrible, and we are in an abusive but exciting relationship with our cricket team. But after a moment, you realise you have entered a world like an M C Escher painting, made of up recognisable objects but impossibly twisted around until the whole is a distorted view through a broken prism.

It soon becomes clear that Malala is in direct conflict with three customs of this land: a painstakingly cultivated culture of victimhood from ‘foreign hands’, a suspicion of local heroes and a disdain for women who are too loud for their own good.

Conspiristan is in many ways a comfortable place, where you can tell everything about someone from a glance at their passport or name or skin. Pakistani Muslims are prima facie incapable of wrongdoing. Righteousness is woven into their DNA, which is why the idea of the Pakistani Taliban actually being Pakistani is absurd, when they are clearly a Ukrainian Uzbek American Jew hybrid. You can tell, you see, because they do terrible things. Every terrible action of a Pakistani can easily be attributed in every case to an outside power jealous and frightened of our awe-inspiring potential.

In Conspiristan everything is about you. Everything. Every policy, every war, every amendment to every constitution is aimed at the oppression and destruction of Muslims and particularly Pakistanis. You have to watch your back, because there are spies around every corner, foreign hands in Pakistani gloves, conspiracies hatching like eggs on a battery farm, all to hold back the development of Pakistan since we are the chosen people and if we were able to come into our own, why, we would rule the world within a year.

How can we blame people for their fervent belief that Malala is part of a conspiracy, when they live and breathe conspiracies every day? Now, in the real world, we may think of entities like the CIA as war criminals with all the subtlety of a bull in a china shop who couldn’t kill Fidel Castro after half a hundred tries and hunted a man on dialysis for 11 years before finding him, who’s lies are so outrageous they are caught out at every turn. (Remember the Weapons of Mass Disappearance in Iraq?) In Conspiristan, however, the CIA is an omniscient, omnipotent entity that works in complete stealth and silence and maliciousness, like a cross between a ninja and the devil.

But they will fail because for all their power and low cunning, they did not reckon with the average Conspiristani armchair detective. You see, in Conspiristan, we are all Snowdens and Sherlocks. No matter how mediocre our performance in the rest of our day to day lives, we have complete confidence in our ability to sniff out plots like a bloodhound in a slaughterhouse.

It’s not that the locals of this land do not have journalists and analysts who have made it their life’s work to try and seek the truth. But they cannot hold a candle to that far more respectable and reliable source, My Aunt's Cousin Twice Removed or of course the ever sagacious Some Chap I Met At Dinner.

Nor, in fairness, can Malala’s gender be trusted. Conspiristan is chock full of women who apparently suffer through the unimaginable nightmare of sexual assault and then talk about it ‘to get a foreign passport’. In fact, ‘talking about it’ is clearly a greater crime here than “it” ever is and herein, again, lies Malala’s obvious treason.

In this strange land, perpetrators of violent crime-gang rape, terrorism etc are condemned but never with such full throated conviction and vitriol as are the (usually female) victims and survivors of those crimes that speak out against it. The locals are convinced this is a sound strategy for both moral and practical reasons: a) violent criminals may do terrible things but at least they don’t talk to westerners about it, possibly (horrors!) bringing shame to the country and b) violent criminals are usually far scarier opponents than victimized girls and women. An easy choice.

This was most infamous in the case of the insensitive Mukhtaran Mai who shocked a nation by talking about her gang-rape, without taking into account that she may possibly be hurting the feelings of a country that had never done anything to her aside from allow a culture where her horror was commonplace (and subsequently released five of her six rapists, confiscated her passport and raided her organisation for women’s welfare).

Why should Malala be above suspicion? This is a land where it is sane, patriotic and not at all a sign of mass mental illness that the greatest scientist of the nation and its only Nobel Prize winner was driven away from his beloved homeland and subsequently had his grave defaced for the provocative crime of being an Ahmadi in the first degree.

In Conspiristan, there is no possible way that a Pakistani girl who had championed education throughout her short life and was shot for it – almost fatally – is not a CIA plant. The clues were all around us: for example, all the white people being nice to her and inviting her to the UN which is one of the many major hubs for discussing anti-Pakistani plots (Conspiristan geography: the world is 70 percent ocean, 30 percent land and 120 percent anti-Pakistani hubs).

In this world, the brave criticisms of the public, who showed their courageous unwillingness to back down to or be cowed by a nearly mortally wounded 16-year-old girl, may well have saved the nation from Superspy Malala, who would no doubt have been torturing detainees in Baghram Airbase by the time she was old enough to vote (ie rig elections for her American overlords).

But let us return now, my friends, from this topsy-turvy land. It may amuse us to visit, but I wouldn’t want to live there, and too many of us already do. And if you have a friend or a family member who went once too often and has gone native (trust me, you do) coax them back to Pakistan if you can. Conspiristan’s inhabitants could swell until all of Pakistan is absorbed into it but it will never, ever be Pakistan. It is not real, and never will be.

And sometimes, as we delightedly sniff out conspiracies because they are exciting and make us feel clever, we need to be reminded of that.

The writer is a freelance contributor.

Email: zaairhussain@**********
From Conspiristan with love - Zaair Hussain

well malala wants to be the pm of pakistan to "save" it
its just sad how this poor girls life is going to turned upside-down by these western opportunists.
they are going to use her to do their bidding.

http://www.dawn.com/news/1048975/malala-wants-to-be-pm-says-nobel-would-be-great-honour

Back
Top Bottom