What's new

Make US nationals respect Pakistan's Laws

If this is sarcasm, well a good one.

But if you are telling it as an advice how to handle such things, perfect one.

Nothing else will solve this menace by other means except what you just said.

I'm just telling you how we redneck Southern Americans handle troublemaking Yankees from "Up North", especially ones from New York.

Two more US consulate vehicles intercepted in Lahore

Sunday, 13 Dec, 2009

LAHORE: Security agencies on Saturday intercepted two more vehicles of US Consulate in two different localities of the provincial metropolis.

However, police claim the security personnel let the foreigners go only after a thorough search of the vehicles and being furnished with their identification by the consulate.

In the first incident, a land cruiser was intercepted by the police at a picket near Shimla Hill for bearing suspicious registration number.

The occupants of the vehicle reportedly offered resistance when the police sought their identification as well as registration book of the vehicle.

In the meantime, a security squad of the US Consulate also arrived at the spot and managed release of the vehicle and those riding it, sources said.

The other vehicle, also a land cruiser, was stopped by security personnel and military police at Sherpao Bridge, Cantonment, also carrying foreign ‘diplomats’.

Police sources said the vehicle had a fake registration number of Karachi. However, US Consulate officials again intervened and took the vehicle and its occupants with them, without letting the security personnel search them, they added.

SSP (Operations) Shafiq Ahmad said both the vehicles were allowed to go only after a thorough search, complete verification of their registration and travel documents of the foreigners.

It was third incident in a week in the city when security agencies intercepted vehicles owned by US Consulate.

DAWN.COM | Metropolitan | Two more US consulate vehicles intercepted in Lahore

Nation is well known local news paper, why would you not believe it.
Back in late September I caught The Nation in a factual error (I forget what it was) and sent them a email about it. I didn't get a response, and I don't think Nation published a correction. So I want to know what Pakistanis think of this newspaper and whether they find it credible.

I'm just telling you how we redneck Southern Americans handle troublemaking Yankees from "Up North", especially ones from New York.

The other side of story is why are they not booked by Pakistani authorities, why instead just complain. Now there will be another theory why they are not booked. Your nation is at it risk and people are talking about excuse for not doing something.

Row between Interior Ministry, US Embassy

December 14, 2009
ISLAMABAD – Interior Ministry and the US Embassy are at the loggerheads over use of non-registered vehicles with different number plates by the Embassy.

Well-placed sources told TheNation on Sunday that a serious row has erupted between the Interior Ministry and the US Embassy after the Lahore incident on Saturday in which Lahore Police had impounded a non-registered vehicle which the US Embassy claimed was its property.

Lahore Police, the sources said impounded two vehicles and one of them was returned to the US Embassy after proof of its ownership. However, the non-registered vehicle has not been released.
The Interior Ministry, a source said, has turned down the US Embassy plea seeking release of the impounded car.
“The Ministry has taken serious note of the incident that has shaken confidence of the local law enforcement agencies”, the source said.

Row between Interior Ministry, US Embassy | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

LHC moved for US embassy search

LAHORE: Barrister Zafarullah of the Pakistan Wattan Party has moved an application before the Lahore High Court (LHC), seeking directions for the government to search the US embassy and recover the illegal weapons kept there.

The petitioner alleged that illegal weapons that were used in sabotage and subversive activities in the country were dumped in the embassy. He said US nationals were involved in “terrorism in Pakistan” and evidence of this respect had been provided to the CIA. He alleged that terror activities and suicide attacks at public places had been increased ever since the Blackwater security agency had come to Pakistan.

“Article 22(1)(3) of the constitution deals with immunity and inviolability, but this does not extend to all staff of foreign missions because there is local staff in the embassy and other staff which cannot claim immunity,” he said.

He requested the court to issue directions to the government to search the US embassy and take action against US nationals involved. staff report

The solution to this problem is obvious. Shoot a few "Yankees", by mistake, and apologize profusely for the oversight. Offer some blood money ($1,000 per killed Yankee). Problem solved. That's what we would do here in Virginia if any Yankees were disrespecting us. :agree:

Dont you consider Virginia part of American? Every American is called a Yankee I guess. On the side notes, I enjoy calling Americans Yankees, it sounds insulting and yankees don't mind it either. :rofl:

Dont you consider Virginia part of American? Every American is called a Yankee I guess. On the side notes, I enjoy calling Americans Yankees, it sounds insulting and yankees don't mind it either. :rofl:

Yankees are north american and not all of them. I mean north of USA.

LHC moved for US embassy search

LAHORE: Barrister Zafarullah of the Pakistan Wattan Party has moved an application before the Lahore High Court (LHC), seeking directions for the government to search the US embassy and recover the illegal weapons kept there.

The petitioner alleged that illegal weapons that were used in sabotage and subversive activities in the country were dumped in the embassy. He said US nationals were involved in “terrorism in Pakistan” and evidence of this respect had been provided to the CIA. He alleged that terror activities and suicide attacks at public places had been increased ever since the Blackwater security agency had come to Pakistan.

“Article 22(1)(3) of the constitution deals with immunity and inviolability, but this does not extend to all staff of foreign missions because there is local staff in the embassy and other staff which cannot claim immunity,” he said.

He requested the court to issue directions to the government to search the US embassy and take action against US nationals involved. staff report

its quite not possible.
embassy is a sovereign property and cannot be searched.

The term "Yankee" has two meanings. In the rest of the world, all Americans are Yankees. BUT, in the USA the southern States that rebelled and seceded from the Union (including my home State of Virginia) during our Civil War 1861 - '65, called the northern States soldiers "Yankees" and the southern soldiers were called "Rebels". Today, 150 years later, Americans use these terms to joke with each other about Northerners versus Southerners.

its quite not possible.
embassy is a sovereign property and cannot be searched.
But at least it sends a message. The courts of the past could not have stood in the ruling party's plans the way the courts of today are showing. It's one of the few bright lights. I don't think anybody in Pakistan is too happy about this lack of respect for Pakistani law and sovereignty being displayed by the Americans. Obama was quite clear that he wants better relations with Pakistan, I don't see that being implemented anywhere. He's all for expanding drone strikes in Pakistan, the single point on which almost every Pakistani, Taliban or not, agrees upon. And, under his administration, American diplomats in Pakistan are making enemies witht he entire country. The problem is, in our corrupt system, if you know who to bribe, you can get away with anything.

Like I said, generally, I'm all for wait and see. But the next time a Black Land Cruiser with tinted windows goes through a barrier, or the next time armed men refuse to submit to the law enforcement, I wouldn't protest against use of force. Especially now, since those American citizens were arrested for terrorism, it makes no sense to give them any benefit of the doubt simply because they display immunity cards.

The troubling thing is, you hear nothing about this in the media here in North America. I am sure there are many Americans out there that would find it outrageous if their diplomats made joke of the law of the land in another country. It may be hard for some to believe, but there are some very intelligent Americans around, those gifted with a neutral lens.

The Iranians know how to do this. Just look what friends the USA and Iran are now, 30 years later.
You can't really say it's the same thing at all. Yes, embassies may be exempted from the jurisdiction of the courts (I am not 100% sure about this), but all vehicles and personnel entering and exiting the embassy can be checked, and if enough evidence is gathered, an armed inspection can take place. It's not like the Marines (or whoever) stationed there would begina firefight with the forces, they won't have a choice.

Though I agree, relations after such actions would probably not be very warm. But as I see it, right now, the warmth is very much one-sided anyway. You have luncheons with our arch rivals, and your people disrespect our laws and sovereignty, it's crossing the line a bit.

Edit
I have no idea why the term Yankee is such a controversy. As I see it, they've got a team named such, it can't possibly be insulting.

Last edited:
American diplomats have once again ignored the security cordon around the capital city, but this time they were made to apologise, police officials told Dawn on Thursday.

A black Land Cruiser, carrying license plates reading GB 0332, was signaled by security personnel to stop at a checkpoint on the Kashmir Highway Tuesday evening, but the driver sped away.

The Saddar circle’s sub-divisional police officer, Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Capt (retired) Liaquat Ali Malik, who was present at the picket, chased the four-wheel drive with his staff and intercepted just short of the Islamabad Toll Plaza.

As the driver again hit the gas, but police officers’ drawn pistols made the diplomat give up the race.

ASP Malik approached the vehicle and asked the two occupants to come out and let the police search them and their vehicle. However, the foreigners refused the request and introduced themselves as senior American diplomats, presenting their embassy-issued identification cards and the original diplomatic registration plates for the vehicle.

During the episode, the diplomats misbehaved with the police and also made phone calls to some officials, including their embassy’s security supervisor.

The ASP was also asked to talk to the supervisor, who asked him to allow the diplomats proceed but ASP Malik refused.

Later, some senior Pakistani officers approached the ASP and directed him to let the diplomats move forward.

In reply, ASP Malik insisted that they would be allowed to proceed only if they tendered an apology to the police personnel and agreed to physical search.

After a few moments, the diplomats received a call and they let the police search them and their vehicle.

They along with the ASP returned to the checkpoint, where they apologised to the security personnel.

DAWN.COM | National | US diplomat made to apologise

Back
Top Bottom