What's new

MAHABHARAT ! The greatest Epic of the Subcontinent on TV, 21st Century Style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah it was Bhismpitahma (Mukesh khanna) who played Shakitman not the Bhim.
Fun fact: Mukesh Khanna never got married in his real life after he took vow not to marry as Bhismpitahma.
mai to dushaasan hi banna pasand karronga bhai jab tak maze mil sakte hain le lo baad me to sabko hi marna hai ...kyon :D

I just want to know if it is based on a true story or fiction?
I have watched some of it and they seem to have supernatural powers.
Well its a story based on History.
The matter of fact is during its time the narration was completely in poetic form. An epic Poem as it is called. Hence, when you describe something with poetic effect, it turns out supernatural in its language. The serials that we see is a direct depiction of that poem. Otherwise its a fact that there was Kuru Kingdom with its capital at HASTINAPUR on Ganges River and There are evidences that a Bloody war was fought in Kurukshetra battlefield areas.

I saw first few episodes of new Mahabharat but stop watching it now. Did finish up the old Mahabharat on youtube once again. Can't beat the original series :smitten:

I found new Mahabharat more dramatic like Ekta Kapoor serials. Old one by BR Chopra is still the best following the original narrative from the Epic with lively characters.

That's true. Castings in new one doesn't seem right at all & more attention was given to main characters while ignoring significance of others. This one looks bit more over dramatized compared to the original one.
Gufi Paintal was the casting director along playing Shakuni's role in the original one.. & he did a great job there.

Well its a story based on History.
The matter of fact is during its time the narration was completely in poetic form. An epic Poem as it is called. Hence, when you describe something with poetic effect, it turns out supernatural in its language. The serials that we see is a direct depiction of that poem. Otherwise its a fact that there was Kuru Kingdom with its capital at HASTINAPUR on Ganges River and There are evidences that a Bloody war was fought in Kurukshetra battlefield areas.
even the cities of dwarka was found underneath the water and 'mudra' or citizens seal or say sought ID card's were also found so much so there is a place near kurukshetra where the 'peepal ' tree as described in krishna-barbareek encounter still has holes in all its leafes and still nothing grows in 50m radius of that tree but that tree is still standing

No offence to the new seial, but nothing will come anywhere close to the original TV classic! What a series that was!

One thing I hate to see is such great characters being portrayed by Models, not Actors. Merely casting a guy with bulging muscles does not impart any depth to the characters. B R Chopra got it so so right with his casting!:cheers:
You mean models cant be good actors? I find new Mahabharat acting better than old one just coz of one reason, Technology and Direction. Do see the making of Mahabharat and hence the effort put in to do justice to the epic compared to old one.

These are called the great myths. Like the epic of Gilgamesh, Troy, and so on these stories have been primarily narrated not written. There is definitely fact in there but the function of such stories is not to record history but to assemble the presence of an ever.complex society and the existential questions that it poses. Therefore, these stories are supposed to be read symbolically.

Secondly, there are definite historical facts in there. Take Homer's epics, we have found the historic Troy and evidence of warfare there so there is evidence that such a war took place and probably the heroes in there are based on real people but treated more literally.

My own field is narratology if you've any more questions shoot away and I hope it helps :)
I totally agree to your point. Just coz some story has supernatural stuff doesnt mean its fiction. Mahabharat is an EPIC POEM and there is something in Literature called, 'Context for Poetic Effect'.

The History behind it is 100% True but the description is heroic in nature. Now I wish I cud have understood the true meanings of those supernatural stuff. :)

mai to dushaasan hi banna pasand karronga bhai jab tak maze mil sakte hain le lo baad me to sabko hi marna hai ...kyon :D
koi ni hum to sabha mein baith kar hi sawad le lenge !!!

You mean models cant be good actors? I find new Mahabharat acting better than old one just coz of one reason, Technology and Direction. Do see the making of Mahabharat and hence the effort put in to do justice to the epic compared to old one.

There's a subtle difference in watching a Naseeruddin Shah and a John Abraham, my friend.

Spot on. I was eagerly looking forward for this new version & as per the hype created this was suppose to be the most expensive tv series till date. After watching few episodes, have to say I was disappointed. You always tend to compare with the old version...& that was much better than the present one.

In old Mahabarata, towards the end, we will start to have sympathy and respect to Kauravas than Pandavas.. Even Duryodhana wins our heart by sticking to the rules of war!!

this new mahabharata is a blot on the original one.

super model pandavs,super sexy women

total bullshit,atleast portray ppl as they were at that time.have chest hair,beards.
women should have no make up at all.

i am embarrassed to to watch such a serial
And you know for sure how people were at that time?
The problem is the old Mahabharat has created a reference and now you guyz want every follower to be as close as that. BEfore starting this, I watched all th 93 episodes of old Mahabharat. Trust me, its worst of direction that we will se as compared to today but again we cant expect too much epicness due to lack of graphic technology.

For Eg: In old Mahabharat, all the battles one on one are Arrow Battles. Whereas in here they have put common sense that battle can by physically close battle with Swords too. Just look at the Bhishma vs Parashuram Battle in both serials. Tell me which do u find more realistic in nature? Which do u find cud have been the style of fight at that tym?

I ask you to watch the old one and compare it with this one too.

Regarding sexiness then in those times gurls were very sexy and were famous for their beauty and sex appeal thruout the subcontinent. New one has only put forward the obvious. You cant expect that from old one but it doesnt mean what old Mahabharat showed was actually the way of life.

Bottomline is: Old Mahabharat was shown more of a Vishnu Puran type direction but New one is made more on practical sense. Common sense and practicality are the most used factors in new Mahabharat.

On a different note, Mahabharat gave birth to Bhagavd Gita... & it was quoted by the man right after he exploded the first nuclear bomb in the history of mankind.

I have watched few episodes of new Mahabharat. Got to say... nowhere close to BR Chopra's one. Some of the castings in that series is irreplaceable... like lord krishna, bhishma, shakuni & all that!
Kuchh bhi? Krishna is damn good, especially for his smiling style, Bhisma is awesomeness tough Mukesh Khanna is legend, Shakuni is many times better than older one. But above all I wud credit Director of the new one compared to old.

Spot on. I was eagerly looking forward for this new version & as per the hype created this was suppose to be the most expensive tv series till date. After watching few episodes, have to say I was disappointed. You always tend to compare with the old version...& that was much better than the present one.
Watch a little more. The turn of events PRESENTED is awesome which lacked in old one. As I said, dramatization is the biggest trait of this new Mahabharat.

In old Mahabarata, towards the end, we will start to have sympathy and respect to Kauravas than Pandavas.. Even Duryodhana wins our heart by sticking to the rules of war!!

It's strange isn't it? Mahabharat is suppose to be a battle for Dharma... but if you see, all the major battles between individuals were won by the way of adharma in one way or the other. All major characters from Kaurava's side killed by the way of using wrongful methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom